- Text Size +
I don't think it was Gina's intention but when she slammed the nightstand drawer, it recoiled and was slightly ajar. Although they were far away, from my tiny perspective, the voices of the three giants which included a lady police officer, a man police officer and Gina were booming and I was able to follow most of the conversation that took place.

What drew the police to Gina's apartment complex was the fact that my car was still parked in the lot after all these months. Either my ex-wife or one of my co-workers must have filed a missing persons report and eventually someone in the building must have reported what looked like an abandoned car to the police. There are over 100 units in Gina's apartment complex, so it sounded like the police were trolling the building for clues.

Gina played it pretty cool and she didn't let on that she knew me or anything. One thing I have learned about strippers and exotic dancers is because they live double lives they are usually excellent liars. While I was listening to the conversation, I was tempted to yell something to try to get the attention of the police officers but I couldn't...

My fear was that if I tried something AND failed...I would be subject to Gina's wrath. Also, common sense set in. If the giants were even ten feet away from me, from my tiny perspective, that's like 200 feet away or over half the length of a football field. Also, Gina apparently anticipated that I might try to make some noise and had put on the TV BEFORE she let the police officers in so. Any scream from me, simply would not be audible to them.

Everything looked like it was going to be okay for Gina but as the police officers were leaving I heard the man police officer say something.

"MA'AM? YOU LIVE HEAR ALONE, RIGHT?" he asked.

"WELL, YES OFFICER...I'VE BEEN HERE ABOUT A YEAR", she replied cheerily.

"OKAY, WELL WHOSE BLACK LEATHER JACKET IS ON THE COUCH OVER THERE?", he asked. "THAT'S OBVIOUSLY A MAN'S JACKET."

Bingo, that was my jacket. The one I wore when I came to Gina's apartment for dinner that fateful night. But without missing a beat, Gina replied...

"OH THAT'S MY BROTHER'S JACKET. HE FORGOT IT WHEN HE STOPPED BY HERE YESTERDAY. IN FACT, I WAS GOING TO DROP IT OFF AT HIS HOUSE A LITTLE LATER."

Wow...I was blown away on how convincing she was...but like I said about strippers and lying...it's second nature to them.

After that the police officers gave Gina their cards and asked her to be careful and be on the lookout for any suspicious activity. She thanked them and I immediately heard her rush toward the nightstand.

Gina violently opened the drawer and grabbed me tightly up to her face and with furor in her eyes I have never seen, she yelled, "YOU'RE FUCKED LITTLE MAN!"

(End of chapter 5)