- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is where the true plot is introduced. It is a long chapter, as my chapters go. I hope you enjoy.
 

September 9th

 

The 4th was when classes started for the four. They were put in the suite together because they all had the same schedule. It was set up so that I would have an easy time serving all of them. The day started early. I fetched a woman named Melissa who did the cooking for the four. While she was there I was forced to stay in Tara mode, inconveniencing as it was. Francesca took the opportunity to flaunt the fact that she was not the shortest. She forced me to dress her and smiled evilly the whole time. Summer came to my aid, capturing me for her own needs. Selena stayed in her room and did everything herself, not at all a surprise to me. Melanie danced around, never really asking for help, but occasionally pausing to tell me how cute I was, to which I scowled in reply.

The girls ate together, all except Selena, whom I brought a plate to in her room, where she was buried in a book. She thanked me, but was the only interaction between us. I returned to the table and Summer told me to join in the meal, while neither of the other two objected to. I have a feeling that they had accepted me as one of them that is just acting like a servant, or something like that. One can hope.

After eating, I cleared and they gathered what they deemed necessary for a days classes. We set out after that to the Room of Home, or a class for getting news of the days event and the taking of attendance. That was a short visitation and we were soon headed off to linguistics, something I could learn from if I wanted to make this journal better, but whatever. I was, throughout each class, required to stand in the back and was only allowed to participate in any activity if requested to by any of the girls. There was thankfully a door at the back that allowed me to leave for small periods if I needed to say go to the privy or on a walk or something. Mainly I just paid attention to the lectures because the information could easily be useful in the future and plus a lot of it I understood.

From linguistics we moved on to arithmetic/algebra , which would start as a simplistic numbers refresher and then develop into a course that taught systematic equations that would solve a certain type of problem no matter how the variables changed, or something like that. That was the explanation that Summer gave me, but none of it made any sense to me. Clearly numbers are not my thing.

From there we went to history, which does not require much explanation, I hope. I think I will enjoy listening to those lectures. According to the teacher, history repeats itself, and if we do not learn from it, we will fall prey to the same things our ancestors did.

Etiquette class was next. Hmm... that would be a tough class for me. I am so glad I am not part of the upper class, sometimes. So many things were taught in that class I can not even begin to list it all, and it was only the first day. The class includes manners, gracefulness, proper procedure, and so much more.

We got a break after that, where the girls went to the library to self study or chill. Lunch followed that and then the final class was literature. A lot of that class was spent in silence as the students read a series of different works. When the day finally ended, I was glad to return to the suite. Selena retreated to her room, Francesca said she wanted to take a relaxing bath, but one that did not require my services, and Melanie said she would leave me and Summer alone.

We slipped into her room and sat together on the bed for a while. “So, what do you think?” I asked.

“It is nice to be back to something I recognize. I am sorry that you are forced to be a servant.”

“It is nothing, if I get to stay with you. I would do anything to stay with you.”

“As would I. Anything.”

We remained quiet, just savoring the chance to be together. I fell asleep on her shoulder and did not wake until I had to find Melissa to make us a meal. The girls dispersed to go to sleep as did I. And then the schedule repeated. The only thing that kept it from being a bore was that the classes were always different and Tuesdays and Thursdays we had half off and on those days the girls were allowed to roam free and do as they wished.

 

 

I got to know each of the girls in a different way. Not exactly to my surprise, Melanie was the first of the three I have gotten to know.

 

Melanie:

It was September 5th when she decided she could not hold in her curiosity. Everyone else was still sleeping early in the morning when she got up. I had been sitting on one of the couches, enjoying a cup of tea, when she came out of her room.

She sat down on the couch opposite my own and watched me in silence for a time. But eventually she got too fidgety. “What's the matter?” I asked.

“Oh. I was just wondering how small you could get or how big.”

“Hm... well I can get quite small and very big.”

“Can you show me?” She was practically jumping up and down on her seat.

I sighed. “I can show you what is like for me to be big, but do you really want to see it?” She was nodding frantically. I shrugged. “Whatever.” I did not grow, myself, but a I made her shrink instead. When she was down to about two feet tall I paused. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. This is so cool!” I brought her down to about six inches and refused to go further. She was still on the couch, so I went over and moved her gently to the table in front of mine.

“So, what do you think?”

“It's a little disorienting, to say the least. Everything is so big. 'course you probably know all about it.”

“And more.”

“Can I get a closer look at you?”

Again I shrugged. I placed my hand on the table palm up. She climbed on and stood in the middle. “I would sit down if I were you.” She did as I advised. When she was seated I brought my hand up to my face. She looked me over and then motioned for me to move my hand closer. I shook my head in wonder and moved my hand up next to my face.

She ran her hands over my skin, feeling the smooth feel and the warmth that I knew so well. She crouched down a little and put her hand on my lip. I jerked my hand away too fast, causing her to fall. “I'm sorry. I had a bad experience with lips, so...” I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

She changed the subject. “So how long have you and Summer been together?”

“About five months.”

“You guys close?”

“More than you could ever imagine.”

“Oh, I have a decent idea of what it is to be close to someone else. I fell in love once. He was quite the charmer, but midway through our relationship my gift began to develop. I could tell that he was lying, but when I told everyone else, no one believed me. Eventually it got to the point where hearing someone lie hurt.

“My parents did not like my gift. They could not keep anything from me and it bugged them. That is why they sent me here.”

“I am sorry. When my mother died, my father abandoned me because he did not like my gift. I was eight.”

“Oh my God. Well, you got me beat. Man, I thought I had it bad.”

“Yes. But I have Summer. And I will never leave her side.”

“I believe you. And I think she will do everything in her power to keep you there, at her side. You guys are well matched.”

Francesca came out of her room yawning. “What are you guys doing?” She glanced over at us. “Oh my God, you shrank her.”

I lost control of keeping Melanie small and she was all of a sudden normal on top of me as I sat on the couch. “She wanted me to,” I stammered in my own defense. She got off of me and skipped over to Francesca.

“You should really try it,” she said, patting the little girl on the head. “It is pretty fun.”

“I'll pass.”

 

Selena:

It was the night of the 6th, when I got the opportunity to speak with Selena alone. Earlier that day I had walked in on her reading in her room. Her eyes, normally a cool silverish-blue were a glowing light blue. They zipped back and forth as she read the book in hand. When I put the plate of food on the table she looked up and her eyes were no longer glowing. I pretended not to have noticed her eyes and just left.

That night I was sneaking (at only nine inches tall) to Summer's room to surprise her. Selena's door opened and she tiptoed to the bath. Curiosity caught me in its grasp and I just had to follow. She had stripped and was entering the water when I slipped under the door. I walked to the edge and rolled up my pants, sitting then with my legs dangling over the edge. I grew back to normal, doing so carefully as to not get my clothes wet. When Selena saw me she jumped, but there was no scream.

“What are you doing?!”

I shrugged. “I could ask you the same thing, sneaking in here late at night.”

It was her turn to shrug. It surprised me how easily she controlled her expression. Once the initial shock was gone she was quite collected. “I am introverted. I would far prefer to bath by myself. In fact, I would prefer that you leave.”

“Now, now. That's no way to get to know someone. You will never learn anything about people if you do not interact with them. You can read all the books you want and remember all of them, but you will never understand anything if you do not experience it for yourself.”

“How did you find out?”

“Find out what?”

“My... nevermind.”

“Oh, you me that your gift has to do with memory. That's pretty cool. Does it happen when your eyes glow blue?”

That startled her. “Yeah, anything I read, hear, or see I remember. I can't help it.”

“Do you get an urge to find out more information?”

“Yes. It is like a hunger that I can not get rid of. I need to learn more.”

“You don't really need to. If you find something that can distract you, you would be able to keep away for the books. It is like an addiction you just have to break. Try interaction. Summer and Melanie and even Francesca are interesting to be around. You could probably stop if you just get out of your room more. Give it a try at least.”

“I promise to give it a try.”

“Good. Would you like me to wash your back?”

She nodded. I grabbed a wash cloth and got to work. After a few minutes I could feel her muscles relax and smiled. We did not talk for the rest of the time, but I think she will break away from the books soon. I will keep pushing and supporting her.

 

Francesca:

By the time I got to know Francesca, we had already been at the school for almost a week. It was the 8th, which was a Saturday. Francesca wished to meet someone later that day and asked me to escort her. Summer and Melanie said they could take care of themselves and Selena was still nowhere to be seen. When I agreed, she told me it was not in the school and to put on something other than my servant outfit. I chose my ICA uniform, in case I had a need to change size. Francesca had not been very specific about what we would be doing, so better safe than sorry.

Turns out it was a good choice because before we left she had me become six foot three, about 125% my normal height, not that that is a problem. Then she whipped a mask out of nowhere and told me to put it on. Shrugging, I did as I was told. We left the school with no one recognizing me, but all wondering who the mysterious figure was that was with Francesca.

We headed into the city. I followed like a lost puppy as Francesca walked with such purpose. She led the way to a little shop on a side street. The shop was filled with books and looked less like a shop than it did a collection. Nobody else was looking about, and the man at the counter looked down from his perch at Francesca and myself. “Whatchu want?” he asked.

Francesca glared at him. “I am here to see Kathryn.”

“And you?” he asked me.

“I'm just with her.”

“Well Kathryn is not in right now. If you come back later, maybe you will get luckier.”

“Actually,” someone said from behind me, “I am right here.”

I was about to whirl around to face her but Francesca stopped me. “Stay facing that way for now,” she commanded. To the woman she said, “good to see you, Kat. What's it been? Six years?”

“About that. You come to take the shop back?”

“No. I am here to introduce you to my friend here.”

“Well then. Let's head to the back room, shall we.”

The woman walked passed me and led the way to the back, where she opened a door to a new room. She went in first, then Francesca, and finally me. I shut the door behind me. The woman turned and I about had a heart attack. “Mom?!”

She looked taken aback. Francesca spoke up. “I was right. Your mother was Rosemarie. When I heard your name, Omn Ranhrado, I knew you were her child.” She turned to Kathryn. “This is your niece, just so you know.”

“Really? Clare, right? Mind taking off the mask?”

I looked to Francesca and she shrugged. I took that as a yes, slowly pulling the mask off. Kat gasped when she saw my face. “You look just like her.”

I laughed as a tear ran down my cheek. “You look exactly like her.”

“We were twins. But I did not me in terms of looks so much as expression. The pureness of her soul that shown through her eyes. Her innocent view of the world and naive idea of what goes on in this world. Of course you are clearly not as naïve but your eyes shine just as hers did. Can you smile for me so I can see her happiness in you?”

“I will try to smile for you, but not right now. I'm sorry, but I can't.”
“No worries. I understand. It must have been hard to loose her.”

“Very. Now could you answer me a question?”

“Of course.”

“You said you were her twin, so why do you look like you stepped straight out of my memories of ten years ago?”

Kat flinched. She glanced down at Francesca. I followed her gaze and saw Francesca shrug. “She will find out sooner or later.” She addressed me. “How old would you say I look?”

“Twelve,” I answered, hoping I was close enough to not be offensive. I wasn't close at all.

“Well, I am actually 1458, as of three days ago. But I have the blasted body of a child. And Kat, here, she takes the gift of anyone she comes in contact with. She touched me ten years ago, the day of your mother's death. It was the day that she agreed to join my war. I will make her the perfect weapon, gather her the greatest skills until she is unstoppable, and then I will take down the leaders of this world.”

That was a little much to take in. “What?!”

This is basically what she told me after that, minus my questions and responses because they make me sound like a retard and it will go smoother to just write her side. According to her, there a bunch of people, all of whom have some variation of immortality. They make up the world government, which, unbeknownst to the whole world, works together in a corrupt system. They plan to enslave the rest of humanity and keep with them only a few soldiers to keep everyone else in line. The immortals who disagreed were killed, all but Francesca, as far as she knows. So she is trying to gather an army that she can use to set the world right, basically.

She also told me that my mother had discovered the truth and was killed because she was considered a threat to the plan. Her death convinced Kat to join and it leaves me with a decision to make. Do I join, too? Do I put Summer in danger by committing myself to a war against all the leaders of the world? I don't know just yet.

After saying goodbye, we returned to the school where I curled up with Summer in her room. I have yet to tell her anything.