- Text Size +

“Lexi, we… don’t have to do this today. I’m starting to think I may have rushed you. I mean, this…” Bridget said, indicating to her shrunken body, as she and her comparatively-enlarged sister shared a park bench. “…is already a big enough adjustment to swallow for one morning, right? And what I have to say isn’t going to work if you’re not ready. If you don’t… believe in what I have to say now.”

“No,” Lexi affirmed more declaratively than she wished, shaking her head. “I’ve waited a long time, almost two years, hoping somebody would just tell me there was some magic way to fix everything, so I could just go and do it. Just like I told you last night. So if you KNOW what that magic way is, I want to hear it. I’m… ready to do whatever you need me to do, however much extra distance or time or anything you need me to give you.”

“Oh, no, Lexi. That’s not it at all. This isn’t about me… going away again. I told you, I’m back, and I’m here to stay.”

This vow alone was enough to melt more than half the tension off Lexi’s shoulders instantaneously. She smiled again, no longer bracing for impact. So long as Bridget didn’t want to wander off into the enigmatic potentially-Beta-and-Omega-hating horizon, literally any request she made would be preferable.

“I’m so glad,” Lexi sighed. Taking a deep breath, she steeled herself to have the homestretch of their sisterhood-mending charted out. “What is it, then?”

“I… need you to be my Enforcer, Lexi,” Bridget said. “I need you to do to me everything that I did to you and more.”

Suddenly the park didn’t feel so deserted, even though the Alpha and Omega were more isolated in the shade together than ever. The silence following the tiny blonde’s totally-earnest statement was enough to fill and darken that sunny abyss for Lexi. Though strained, Bridget’s words had ejected so easily, just as casually as their earlier banter, that it was plain she’d made an effort to get them all out in one breath so as to soften what amounted to an emotional amputation, but either way, it didn’t keep the cogs in Lexi’s brain from scraping and then getting stuck.

“W-Wh… What?”

“Yes, I know,” Bridget said, running her miniscule hand up and down the length of her younger sibling’s thumb. “I know what you’re going to want to say, and I know how insane it must sound, which is why I really need you to just try to listen to everything before you say anything else. Please, Lexi. I-”

“No.”

The syllable was said with such quiet finality, it actually succeeded in closing off the conversation for a sustained minute, during which Bridget busied herself massaging her sister’s now-quivering fingers.

“I told you I spent months thinking about this. I guess you thought I just meant becoming this size and leaving it at that, but… that wasn’t all,” the Omega steadily lullabied. “The real reason is because the things that happened, the things I did… whether or not I just following the things I was taught and the things the Omega side of me said to do, I… I did terrible things to you, Lexi. Unforgivable things.”

“But I forgive you,” Lexi interrupted with a hollow croak.

“And I’ll probably have to spend the rest of my life trying to actually deserve that, but I can’t forgive myself. I can’t… live with myself, thinking about everything that happened, everything I did that drove us apart. We’re sisters, Lexi. That’s not just a bond, it’s… a forever-contract. A promise we made after that night in Aegis when Mom and I brought you home. And I broke it. For the job. For the Omega-part of me that- …look, the why of what I did doesn’t have to matter now. It happened, and I can’t take it back, but I can at least make sure I carry around some tangible piece of it from now on. If I can just try to feel a few of the things you had to feel a year and a half ago, in whatever small amount is even possible, I… I have to try. Like… purging some kind of poison out of my system. A ritual, I guess. So I can come out on the other side and maybe start feeling like I even deserve another chance.”

Every word was hitting Lexi so hard, she was glad Bridget insisted on finding a bench before unloading any of the traumatic insanity that the Omega was currently vomiting up. Next to this, that stampede of phone-obsessed Alpha teens was like the tickle of autumn breeze. Despite some of Bridget’s stumbling, it was obvious that, much like the initial bombshell of her request, the tiny Omega had carefully selected her words, probably even silently rehearsed them to herself while pacing the neighborhood in the dead of night, in order to get them out as succinctly as possible before her sister cut in with a sharp refusal.

As the first wave of disbelieving surprise passed, a shell-shocked Lexi bit the corner of her lower lip until she felt the skin on the verge of a tear. Bridget hadn’t spoken any specifics of her dark wish yet, likely by design, but there were only so many ways to interpret the possibility of “being” an Enforcer for someone. Granted, the two full sessions Bridget had used to punish Lexi were the least of the latter’s concerns during that two weeks of hell, compared to being falsely accused and having their years of closeness count for so little against a Machiavellian conspiracy, but Bridget had also said “and more.” And the thought of using her temporary size advantage to overpower or even hurt her older sibling, for any length of time or to any degree of intensity, was so abhorrent to Lexi it made her almost too ill to keep looking directly at the diminutive Omega.

Suddenly the foreboding mentions Bridget had made last night and this morning of “fixing” things came back, and even worse, Lexi’s apparently inspirational suggestions that they couldn’t trade places, no matter how much the Omega wanted, but that if they could, she would do whatever was necessary to correct this stalemate. Such a thing as literally swapping metaphorical size-shoes with her leviathan sibling simply hadn’t occurred to Lexi, but underestimating the existence of someone like Kayla had blinded her to the uncomfortable potential of those desperate promises. That made Lexi feel even sicker, enough that she began idly scouting out the nearest waste baskets at the corners of the forking pathways around them.

Because, Lexi realized only now, this idea was her fault.

“That’s everything I have to say. To start,” Bridget offered, noticing the Alpha was making no more effort to interject. She still hadn’t ceased trying to soothe the girl’s trembling hand. “I’ll… answer any questions you have, and we can talk about it as long as you want. Whatever I have to do to convince you that I need this.”

“You only did it… twice.”

“What?”

“You only did Enforcer-things to me twice. Once the first day, on the floor, and then again a week later with the… you know… popsicle.”

“That’s already two more times than it ever should’ve been. And really, I don’t know how you can’t call that last time in the yard the third. I… broke your leg, Lexi. I did that.”

“That was an accident.”

“But the rest wasn’t, and you know it. No, it was a disgusting mistake. It was a horrible, cruel trick that got us all, and you were the one who had to suffer the most for it. And either way, the fact that you say you’ve… forgiven me…” Bridget said, struggling to spit out two words she clearly didn’t believe, as though they were made of scalding iron, “…means that I have to be Enforced way more than three times to make up the difference. I’d… I’d say do it a hundred times, two hundred, or God, even double or triple than that, but the exact number won’t end up mattering. The point is that I have to serve some time, something, to make up whatever small piece of this that I can.”

The gravity of this concept was settling like a leaden anchor in the pit of Lexi’s stomach. Holding her sister in her hand, and feeling so glad to have her back safe, especially since the novelty of today’s switch had allowed her to be play the part of the guardian “big” sister with some of the kindness she’d known for years in the Omega’s clutches, the thought of then reversing that intent, and using her height and strength to not just put Bridget down, but to utterly dominate her while she was vulnerable enough to do so, was beyond the pale. Lexi became conscious of the fact that she was robotically waving her head back and forth “no” like a lawn sprinkler.

“Lexi… I understand why you’re reacting this way. If anything, you’re taking it super well. Honestly, I thought you’d scream at me, and maybe just leave me here on the bench… and I’m not saying I wouldn’t deserve it, either, for springing this on you like this. But I do mean it when I say that this is the only way back for me. This is the way to finally fix everything.”

“So you want me…” the Alpha wheezed, as though she’d had the wind knocked out of her and was trying to cough the words through a closed throat. “…to just, come up with things to do to you? To make it better by having even more bad things happen to you, to us?”

“You wouldn’t have to come up with anything. I mean, you… could if you had ideas, but I wouldn’t expect you to do that,” Bridget explained. “But I still have a manual from my training as a Junior Enforcer. There’s a section that goes over different kinds of sessions to give criminal Alphas. Ways to combine an Omega’s… physical assets… with strong reminders of the subject’s wrongdoings, so they’re forced to keep it all stuck in their mind forever, the feelings of being overpowered and most importantly why. That’s exactly what I need.”

The Alpha hadn’t stopped waving her head “no.”

“You heard my answer the first time,” Lexi bitterly exhaled.

“Can… you take some time to think about it? A day, or a week, or even-”

“I can’t do that to us, Bridget. That’s final.”

At this, the Omega went quiet again, evidently able to hear and believe in the Alpha’s dead-seriousness. She sat cross-legged in Lexi’s palm on the pillowy heel of her hand, and snuggled herself into a tight bear-hug with the girl’s thumb. Rocking back and forth with the largest piece of her sister she could fully embrace, the shrunken thing planted a comforting kiss on the lower spiral-printed oval of Lexi’s thumbpad.

“I need you to remember how much I love you, Lexi, and how much I need my sister, before I say what I’m going to say next.”

“All… right.”

“I believe this thing has to be something we do together for it to completely work. A way for us to find some kind of balance again, especially because I know you’ll treat me much better than I deserve, and you’d never let anything permanently bad happen to me as my Enforcer, even though I can’t say it wouldn’t be earned,” Bridget softly continued. “But… if there really is no other choice. If you can’t bring yourself to do it, and I do know why it makes you afraid, I… I’d have to find an alternative way to get the job done.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean…” the Omega whimpered, swallowing hard to keep her voice from cracking. “That I need this… treatment… or whatever you want to call it, no matter what. And if I have to do it without your help, then that’s what’s going to happen. Because I don’t think it would be… very hard to find certain Alphas in this town who’d do it for me, plus a lot more, if I told them why and what I need. To tell you the truth, there were a lot of times over the last year where I thought that was the right thing to do, to just go to one of them and let myself take the place of whatever poor Beta might have felt their anger instead someday. I don’t want to do that now, because I think the best and healthiest way is going to be if we work as a team, but if I have to…”

The Omega trailed off, having run out of nervously scripted rhetoric. An even-longer silence passed this time than the one brought on by the first mention of Bridget’s big favor. Hearing this argument in any other circumstances, Lexi might’ve indeed become furious, as the Omega had understandingly guessed, but now all she could do was helplessly picture her shrunken sibling going out on her own, not only risking trouble with strangers, but throwing herself directly into their line of fire.

Bridget wasn’t exaggerating about the ease of finding willing participants for such a venture, and Lexi knew it. Much as society had advanced since the Omegas came to power, catastrophes like those her own birth mother had made possible with those terrorists, or even those examples which hit closer to home like what happened to the poor Lindon family boy, were a grave reminder of the attitudes that still lurked in the shadows. And just as Lexi had already feared on her own, there were plenty of people out there with hatred for everyone but those belonging to humanity’s middle-size class. To have a uniquely-vulnerable, Beta-shaped Omega as a target, who was not only willingly presenting herself but requesting harsh treatment, would be all the push those kinds of Alphas would need to commit unspeakable atrocities a grin on their monstrous faces.

Lexi fought back an acetone-cold chill ripping down her spine, imagining the wretchedness Bridget felt she deserved: Alphas calling her names, raining down curses, shouting to keep her awake, snipping her hair like a doll’s, pelting her with spit or other worse substances, then testing out her Omega-borne durability by clapping her between hands, pinching her like a garden maggot, sitting on her, stamping her under their heels, or even the kinkier minds who might devise equally-claustrophobic locations with which to show their displeasure. Then once they started getting really creative, they might push her to the edge of any number of deadly extremes by using their bodies upon Bridget as a surrogate for all their rage at the world’s power structures, by suffocating, drowning, beating, squashing, and squeezing her until they discovered precisely the point where even Bridget’s hereditary gifts couldn’t save her from the disadvantages of being three inches tall and sorrowful enough to allow every heinous act to occur. Those kinds of Alphas surely wouldn’t abide by any kind of clinical awareness over a person’s limits like the Enforcers, using the three-incher purely as a conduit for frustration, and if they did indeed make her expire, who was to say they’d even be through playing with her body once she was gone?

At the apex of this spiraling mental hysteria on Lexi’s part, she was at once torn between the knowledge that she was only building up a paranoia fantasy here, but also the first-hand accounts in textbooks written by Betas which confirmed that every wildest horror she could conceive was capable of being committed, and probably already had been, by at least one Alpha in history. Then she again recalled her own promise to Bridget, and worse, the indisputable fact that she, Lexi, had given the terminally-guilty Omega this notion to begin with.

Which meant, ultimately, there was no other choice for Lexi here. She’d made the decision for herself last night already by deigning to open her mouth and declare that she’d do anything, cross any line, to save her sister.

“Where is this Enforcer manual you were talking about?” the Alpha mumbled under her breath, and let herself be kept from tears upon feeling Bridget’s hug tighten around her thumb again.