- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Annette’s home life and the complications that come with being a giantess.
The inn she had stayed in before and after fighting the dragon had been fairly nice though it wasn’t truly a structure in comparison to Annette especially when she had left. She couldn’t have stood up except perhaps in the center and while it was solid and warm. There was nothing quite like having a roof which she wouldn’t bump her head against when she stood up to make Annette feel more comfortable.

A wide grin grazed Annette’s face as she turned her head up towards the roof of her home. Slowly she elevated her right arm so that she was reaching strait up above her head and extended her fingers fully. Standing up on her tiptoes Annette brought her fingers as close to the structure as she could without jumping and was delighted to find that she couldn’t quite reach it. It was an odd form of amusement though with both joy and sadness at the same time.

It was nice to have a home to return to. One in which she could move about freely but at the same time she regretted the limitations on herself. While the roof served as a comforter it also served as a reminded of the limits of her capabilities. She wasn’t big enough to reach it at least she wasn’t big enough yet. Would she be happy when she finally could reach the roof with her fingers or would it make her sad that she was outgrowing her current home? Annette didn’t have an answer for that question.

“Mistress.”

Annette was snapped out of her current line of thought by the sound of a tiny voice. Placing her feet back flat on the ground she lowered her arm and turned in the direction of the voice. “Yes?”

The woman took a few steps closer to the imposing figure of her employer. She had been working here long enough to get over Annette’s massive scale for the most part though it always took some getting use to when she came back from a long trip since she always came back larger. “Welcome home mistress. The bath is nearly prepared for you but we have a slight problem.”

Annette took a step closer to the tiny woman and settled down on her knees so that she didn’t have to look so far down. “What would that be?”

“We only have a few articles of clothing prepared for you that will actually fit.”

Annette gave a slight giggle. “Well that isn’t out of the ordinary. It seems to happen every time I return from a journey. How many outfits do I have that still should fit me?”

“Four at the moment and we are rushing to try and get more prepared for you.”

“On the new order you did remember to compensate for how much I am going to grow between now and then didn’t you?”

“Yes Mistress.” The woman grew quiet for a moment and a look of concern appeared on her face.

“Is something wrong?”

“I believe we may have forgotten to take in account the additional time it is going to take to prepare the larger clothing.”

Annette gave a slight chuckle. “Well then I suppose you should send a messenger with the additional information.”

“Yes Mistress.”

“Is there anything else you wanted to tell me?”

“No. That is all Mistress.”

Annette gave a nod and stood back up. She didn’t bother waiting for the smaller woman to step aside but proceeded to walk around her and continue down the hallway. She had become used to the fact that her servants tended to either have her clothing made too small upon her arrival from a journey or at times too large. She preferred when it was too large as at least then she would be able to wear it eventually but it had ceased to annoy her long ago. After all it just meant they would have to work harder to keep the clothing that was her size clean.

It didn’t take Annette long to come to the massive door which lead into the bath area. Placing her hand on it a sigh escaped her lips. At one time the door had actually been over three times her height making her feel like a child when she pushed it open. Several locks and knobs lined the door. Bending down Annette took hold of the bottom most one between her fingers. It reminded her that at one time in her life she had been no larger then a human. Her strength had always been greater though so she never had trouble opening the massive doors.

A collective “Welcome home Mistress.” Came from the room as Annette opened the door and while it was true they couldn’t even see her at that exact moment everyone knew that the number of life forms that could open the massive doors was few and far between.

“It is nice to be back.” Annette stepped into the room and shut the massive doors behind her. A few servants were gathered around the pool that served as her bath tub. The structure was actually a bit large even in comparison to her current height. It had been meant to last her for a while longer. “Have any of you news about Maxwell.”

“Yes Mistress.” One of the servants that had up until now been waiting at the far end of the room began to approach Annette. The pad and pin he carried clearly indicating that his task were more with dealing with records then actually doing labor which the majority of people in the room had been doing. “While he has begun the return trip from his journey he won’t be back for at least another week.”

“Well that just isn’t right. Does anyone know his exact location?”

“Not as of yet even the information we have now is a little dated. So now you can’t go out to meet him.” The man grinned a bit, he had been working for Annette long enough to anticipate her reason for asking a question and comfortable enough to go ahead and answer it.

“I could have someone use a locater spell to find him for me.” Annette stuck her tongue out at her tiny servant.

“True Mistress, should I go about trying to find one to hire?”

Annette didn’t take long to make her decision. “Yes. See if you can find one that can give us some accurate information now everyone out.”

One of the other servants whom had been working on bringing her clothes in spoke up. “We didn’t mean to make you wait to take your bath Mistress but we haven’t been able to bring your clothing in yet.”

“Okay everyone else out then. You can finish your task them leave.” Annette watched as the majority of the tiny people began to exit the room. They couldn’t use the same door she had used since she shut it and she was the only person in the room with enough strength to open it. However, there were several smaller doors built into the walls for the normal people to exit through though this wasn’t obvious at first.

“Come to think about it just bring in one of the outfits that still fit me.”

“Which one would you like Mistress?”

“I don’t know which ones they are so just pick one. Don’t take too long to decide on which one.”

The group of servants that remained behind didn’t really have to stop to think about the question. They would just go with the outfit that they had made the most progress with. Annette’s clothing was rather difficult to move due to its weight and volume. The material wasn’t just cloth material or even leather but was lined with metal supports. This added a great deal to its overall weight which made moving it a team effort.

Annette wasn’t going to wait for her tiny servants to bring in her clothes before she began her bath. Her current clothes were actually meant for travel and she was eager to get out of them. Reaching up she took hold of the heavy latch that held her collar together and easily pulled it free. She had to undo similar latches upon her rest before the shirt loosened up. The material was drawn taught against her skin until these links were released to allow some slack.

It was hard to keep ones mind on their work when they heard Annette removing her clothing. It wasn’t just because of her figure though it was also due to the fact that she didn’t care if they saw her naked or not. The only reason she seemed to even have them leave the room is she liked to have some quiet and it was hard to do with so many people wondering around trying to act busy while sneaking peeks at her.

Sighing Annette stretched her arms above her head. Despite how tight the clothing was she never really felt constricted the garments just couldn’t exert enough force on her to make her feel cramped. Despite this it was nice to remove the clothing and let the air hit her exposed skin. Her pants were made similarly to her shirt with heavy clasp holding back excess material while holding the garment up.

It was quietly spoken off when Annette wasn’t home or when she was on the far side of her home and they were on the other. How many of her little servants would have liked to explore their employer’s massive form. How many times had they wished she was of a normal scale and more approachable. Her body was wonderfully toned her biceps were noticeable even when her arms were relaxed and when she flexed them they grew to nearly the size of her head.

Her legs were wonderful sculpted with the same ripped muscles that bulged with power every time she would take a step. They appeared so strong that it seemed that even without her massive scale she could crush a human to death between those massive thighs in truth she was far stronger then this. Wonderfully formed heart shaped calf muscles graced her legs. Though for all the strength contained in those legs where thighs were wonderfully full and the muscle seemed to flow together.

Annette’s abdominal muscles were clearly sectioned off into six separate sections the outline of which could easily be traced with ones eyes. Her waste for its part was quite thin at least in comparison with the rest of her massive form. In truth at her current height it didn’t seem that two grown men would be nearly enough to wrap their arms around even her waste.

Her breasts were wonderfully full and pert without the least bit of sag even when she wore no clothing. It seemed more likely at times that her breast supported her garments rather then her garments supported them. Each orb of flesh was so massive that even Annette’s massive hands couldn’t cover their front entirely.

Her hair was a deep crimson red that reached down to her mid back and seemed to be naturally curly while her blue eyes seem to be made from sapphire. If only she wouldn’t have a small river of blood soaked into her clothing whenever she returned from a long journey. They knew that she bathed regularly since no matter how cold a river was it didn’t affect her however this only made then more nervous.

Though they called Annette mistress none of them were actually slaves. They were each paid for their services and while it was true she could get away with snapping them in half if she felt like it only those that had truly upset her had to worry about any such actions. At least they had to worry about being broken in half before now they would have to worry about being stepped on.

“Okay that is enough staring. I want to be able to spend some time alone.”

Annette’s little servants quickly realized what they had been doing and busied themselves once again.

Annette gave an amused giggle and moved towards the water. Extending her foot she dipped her toes into the water as if to see if it was too warm or too cold. In truth it didn’t matter how hot or cold the water was as long as she was bathing alone. The temperature extreme just wasn’t great enough to have any appreciable affect upon her. Stepping down into her tub its full depth was more appreciable this way as the water actually covered Annette past her waste.

The sides of the tub were lined with platforms or seats depending on ones scale of various heights. Annette felt around for a moment before setting down upon one that seemed appropriate to her current height. Why didn’t she just tell them to keep the water warm constantly? Annette turned her head towards the roof as she considered this option. She had more then enough money to pay for the resources it would require and yet she didn’t bother.

Wasn’t it even more trouble to wait for the tub to fill and the water to be heated though? Shrugging her massive shoulders Annette slumped in her seat so that the water came up to her chin. Perhaps one of the reason she didn’t have them keep her tub at a constant temperature was she liked to have them fill and heat it all over again. Annette allowed herself to slump lower that her head slid under the water’s surface there she waited.

Annette ran her fingers between her hairs trying to insure that every strand was soaked as well as it could be. She seemed to be able to take as long as she liked whether this was true or not she wasn’t certain though for all the time Annette had ever spent underwater she never felt like she needed to come back up for air yet when she could she did breath.

A small torrent of water flowed from Annette’s hair as she set back up. She always loved the feeling of the water rushing down her back. As while her entire body had indeed grown in scale with the rest of her she could still tell the difference in the volume of water as compared to her last bath. It may have been a very simple act but the extra water seemed to be a confirmation that she had indeed grown larger since her last bath.

After extending her arm Annette began to try and locate a scrubber when she realized that she had switched positions. Turning her head to the side she noted that her servants had left the scrubber a few seats down. It was where she would have set before her journey. Chuckling to herself, Annette stood back up and made her way over to the more shallow side of her tub.

The scrubber was a rather harsh bit of metal mesh that Annette used to clean herself off with. She had no need to be careful with her skin and in truth she preferred to have something she didn’t have to worry about ripping though the metal ones did have to be replaced periodically when they began to rust.

On a whim Annette set down in the smaller seat. A giggle escaped her when she realized how low the water seemed now. She knew that it would be low compared to her current height but to actually feel it was always amusing. “All this time working for me and they still don’t remember that I am growing.”

Annette preferred to be clean and to insure that she was indeed clean she didn’t bother with the gentler materials that she didn’t need. This not only applied to the items she used to soap up and scrub her body but to the soap as well. As she picked up the bar and began to smear the metal mesh with a layer it actually was amusing to think that it would have taken a human’s skin off if they touched it. This of course meant it even cleaned the blood that at times coated her.

Was it truly necessary for her to even use soap though? Annette didn’t bother moving to the deeper sections of her bath right away but took the time to begin to scrub her body. She always used so much force when doing this that it seemed the soap was a complete waste. She tended to apply so much pressure that the water seemed a necessity not so much to help her clean herself but rather to keep the metal from melting due to the friction.

Annette moved to the side of the bath and set on the ledge in order to get her legs and feet. As she was working on her toes thoughts of what she had recently gained enough mass and size to do popped into her head. She remembered the excitement she felt when she realized that she no longer needed to force someone to the ground before she could step on them with ease. She had put on enough height now that they could be standing and she could still perform the act and as she continued to grow it would only get easier.

It was actually somewhat unusual for Annette to consider being able to step on someone. While she had already been quite large when she became self aware she hadn’t been large enough to simply step on someone. At first she would have had to stomp just to crush them even if they were lying down. It was quite a rush for her to consider how much less consideration she had to show her opponents.

At least that was most opponents. Reaching up Annette placed her hand where the dragon had managed to bight her. At first she kept her hand over the spot but when she turned her head to look she removed it. The injury had healed entirely. There wasn’t even a scar there but Annette could still remember the dragon’s teeth sinking into her.

Annette stood back up after she finished scrubbing her body she then moved into a deeper section of the water and washed herself off. Before she could move to climb out of the bathtub she remembered her hair. Once again moving to the side she filled her massive hands with as much soap as she could hold before she began to work it into her hair. It took quite a bit of effort to make sure every strand of hair was clean.

Much like her skin Annette’s hair was a stark contrast between how it felt and how strong it actually was. At first the strands seemed smooth and soft fairly easy to brake however once one actually tried to brake or cut her hair they found it was every bit as strong as armor. At this point in her development she imagined that it was stronger then most armor one could find much as her skin was for this reason she didn’t bother being any gentler while washing her hair then she was with her skin. It was more important to her that she be clean after all.

Once again Annette dunked her head underwater and began to run her fingers through her hair this time in order to insure she removed all the soap. The soap she used didn’t actually have any scent and Annette tended to shy away from the use of perfumes. Considering her scale it would have taken a very powerful perfume to reach others that were far away meaning those that were close to her would be overwhelmed. So it was Annette’s preference that when she climbed out of the water she smelt clean and not of anything else but herself.

For a moment it sounded like a small flood when Annette finally climbed out of the water and allowed the water to cascade off her body. Proportionally water wasn’t able to cling to Annette as much as it would have a human thanks to her rate of movement and overall height meaning that while she was technically wet when she climbed out of a bath she didn’t appear as wet as she should.

Shaking her head Annette moved to the far side of the room. The change in the water temperature to the air temperature was felt however it didn’t bother her so she didn’t bother wrapping herself up. She soon came to a seat which had at once been so large compared to her she could have lain down upon it now that would have been quite awkward so she simply set down. In front of her was a former full body mirror that she had moved whenever she had grown too large for it to serve its purpose in her former bedroom.

Reaching down Annette pulled out one of the desk drawers and giggled a bit. She kept the brushes that she had used in the past as well as her new ones. She also had several sets of scissors though she had never chosen to use them. Reaching into the drawer Annette picked up her very first brush. The little styling instrument would most likely broke if she tried to use it to brush her hair given that it hadn’t just increased in length but it was much stronger now.

The brush she picked up next was actually suited to her and if it had been much larger might have been mistaken for a bed of nails. Annette did tend to take the time to brush her hair and make it presentable she didn’t spend too much time. At least it was presentable by her standards given the amount of time she spend traveling this was a somewhat relaxed view point.

Setting the brush down Annette finally made her way over to where her clothing was laid out. She had been moderately curious to see what outfits that her tiny servants had chosen for her to wear though she was fairly certain they had picked whatever would be the easiest to bring to her. She was right in that respect as the garment was one of her lighter ones which meant it was rather lacking in materials.

The top was sleeveless with a massive slit down the center which showed off her cleavage. It was a mixture of white with blue trim while the dress followed the same pattern except the slits went down each leg instead of the center. The only under garments Annette bothered to wear was her panties since she had never actually needed a bra and in truth part of her liked the outline of her breast to be more noticeable.

“Maybe I should get a real ball dress one day? Well I don’t want any of them to develop back trouble in later life so maybe not. Still they could have picked something that wasn’t basically strips.”

When one looked at the clothing the metal in their makeup wasn’t noticeable however once Annette actually picked it up she could feel the metal threads that ran throughout the garment. In truth the outfit looked far softer then it actually was. Slipping the clothing on Annette made her way back to the hallway.

“You know you were the one that gave the okay for that outfits design.”

Annette glanced behind herself. “You know ease dropping isn’t very polite.”

The smaller woman smiled and began to walk towards Annette and then past her. “Mistress you need to be more careful with how loud you are in private. When you don’t believe any little ears can hear you. You seem to raise your voice to the appropriate level for one your size.”

Annette grew silent for a moment as she took in what she had just been told. “Well the walls have always been thick enough before.”

“True Mistress but you are becoming larger as I am sure you know. I was just letting you know that I wasn’t ease dropping.”

“Okay you’re right. So what were you doing?”

“I just came down here to let you know that your dinner is ready.”

“What did the chef make today?”

“A few sides of beef, corn mashed potatoes and some watermelons for desert.”

Annette snorted a bit. “I swear so many of you little ones slack off while I am away that it takes you a while to get back to active service when I get back.”

The tiny woman gave a slight sigh. “Mistress you’re the one that tells us to decide so many things. If it isn’t to your liking you could always give some specifics.”

A slight giggle escaped Annette. “Can’t I complain without having a rebuttal?”

“Would you prefer if I just agreed mistress?”

“Now that would make for a very boring conversation. Okay you’re just walking to slow.” Annette tended to respect her servants as hired help and not property however she didn’t bother asking if she could pick one of them up. Her statements were often warning enough for them to know her intentions anyway. The woman stopped moving and allowed Annette to wrap her fingers around her.

As she was lifted up by Annette’s massive hand the woman didn’t feel nervous. While they knew their employers job, business habits and that she did indeed enjoy them they also knew her as a fair employer most the time and she had been working for Annette a long time. “I remember when you had to use both hands to do this.”

“Yeah it wasn’t a very long time ago.” After picking the woman up Annette began to walk down the hallway at a speed more appropriate for her size.

“While we haven’t managed to anticipate the greater needs your increased size would cause. I believe you’ll find that there is enough food at least.”

“That is nice to know. So how was the beef prepared?”

“Mistress, do you really have to ask that question? You were the one that said yourself. If you don’t tell us how to do something we are going to do it the easiest way possible.”

“Which means grilled beef? Don’t I pay you people enough to be more thoughtful?”

The servant gave a slight chuckle. “Well I am quite content with what I am paid but we are humans after all. I believed you liked your food grilled though.”

“I do other wise I would have to tell them to make me something else.”

“Is there something you would prefer to have prepared instead?”

Annette took her time to consider her options. “Well now that I think about it I can’t say there is. I just wish that they had picked a different desert them a fruit.”

“Okay. Why don’t you just tell the cooks that?”

“I suppose I shall or perhaps I should just tell the cooks to prepare me the same thing as what you little ones get to eat.” The look on the serving girl’s face told Annette she may not want to do that. “Now what was that look for?”

“Do you have a taste for let us say gourmet food?”

Annette gave a slight giggle. “Well I can’t say I have had much experience with it considering the time I spend traveling.”

A slight giggle escaped the woman. “It is your decision.”

“Great, now you have me thinking that I may regret giving such an order. Well I know what I can tell them to do.”

“What would that be?”

“From now on the desert chosen for me has to be either be cooked or prepared in some fashion. It should at least be a combination and not a single item unless I say otherwise and I’ll be the one to inform the cooks.”

“Wouldn’t you prefer if one of just stopped by your room and asked you what you would like to have for lunch and dinner? You could also tell us what you want for breakfast the next day.”

Annette shook her head. “While that would make up for the time it takes to cook my meals at least with the level of care that I want taken while I am at home. I always end up changing my mind which is more annoying you might realize since if I ask for whatever I decided I want and order it prepared then most likely by the time it is ready I will have changed my mind again.”

“I never thought of you as the type to have trouble making up your mind mistress.”

“I normally don’t but eating isn’t as pressing of a concern for me as it is for others. Anyway, I would end up putting it off until I seriously needed to eat and then I would want to over do it. That and I wouldn’t have the patience just to wait around for anything to be cooked in that situation.”

“Do you have this problem on the road?”

“No but here I know I have you little ones to help keep me on schedule.” Annette stopped for a moment and took in a breath of air as she came to the entrance to the dining hall. She didn’t bother setting the woman down but continued on into the room. She started to move towards some of the smaller seats but remembered her increase in size and quickly changed to a location built for her. “Just two more seats to go and I’ll have to have more made.”

“Won’t you need to have the building expanded for that?”

Annette gave a nod. “Of course to be honest I am more likely to just tear this place down or the sections I need adapted.” Annette set the tiny woman atop the table she had resolved while walking down the hall that she would like to have someone to speak with while eating.

*************************************************************************

He entered more slowly then he had left in truth his return trip had been slower then his departure. The attempts to locate Maxwell in order to inform Annette had proven less then fruitful and while he deemed his fear for his safety as unreasonable there was still something that made people walk more slowly when they had to deliver bad news to Annette.

He had long since become use to how large Annette’s home was and how one often had to be given information to find her in one section or the other so he only became aware of it when he was in a hurry in which he resented it or when he had bad news to give in which case he was greater for the long walk.

Despite the length of the walk it was still inevitable that either Annette would find him or that he would eventually arrive at her location if she didn’t move. In this case he arrived at her location.

Annette had ended up in what amounted to a lounge built for beings of various sizes. There was a fair amount of human sized accommodations with seats and other items built for larger species each one meant to be comfortable for something two meters taller then the last with appropriate human dimensions.

“Mistress I am sorry to say.”

“That you weren’t able to find Maxwell for me.”

Growing silent for a moment the servant gave a nod though Annette currently had her back to him. “That is true Mistress.”

“I swear it is so easy to guess when you have bad news and just how bad it is. You walk down the hall more slowly the worse it is. It has been a few years since I killed any of you. So why be so nervous?”

“Mistress that isn’t exactly something one gets over quickly you’re quite intimidating just by merit of your scale.”

“I was pretty immature back then always losing my temper and killing the messenger when I got bad news. I know better then to kill the messenger now at least. On your way back do me a favor and pass it around that I don’t want anyone telling any new workers about my past behavior problems.”

“Yes Mistress.”

“You may leave now.” Annette had been told while gossiping at dinner how some of the servants that had been working for her a while would scare new employees. It was amusing but she didn’t like to have to wait for people she didn’t intend on harming to get use to her any longer then she had to.

“Okay now Annette. Maxwell is either so far away that they couldn’t find his location accurately or he is traveling with a ward against locator spells either of which is possible. You’re not going to be back on the road for a while. At the very least not until the Luvarians get back to you with more information on the arcanon so what do you want to do?”

Annette found herself tapping her finger against the chair she had been reclining on. After a few moments of this she began to annoy herself with the clicking and quickly stood up. Walking to the exit Annette closed her eyes and did her best to forget her homes layout a task which wasn’t overly difficult given its dimensions and that the perspective to her was constantly changing. While she didn’t succeed entirely Annette finally turned and began to walk down the hall she had resolved to stop when she found the first source of amusement.

After sometime of walking she finally came to one of the exits and found herself looking out into the wilderness. A grin formed on her face as at last and idea came to her.

*************************************************************************

“Okay is everyone ready to find out why I called you all out here?”

“Yes mistress.” The response was unified which Annette expected since the servants she rounded up were the guards.

“Well I have decided that I want to work on my tracking skills some and that you should work on your evasion and stealth.”

“Then shall we remove our armor mistress?”

“Would you normally remove your armor when trying to evade a more powerful force?”

“No mistress.”

“Well do it anyway. I want you to be able to move as quickly as possible and leave as few tracks as possible. Be sure to take a weapon though.” Annette didn’t expect the guards to actually fight against her but she didn’t like the idea of sending them off into the forest without any additional protection.

The group of people moved back towards the main structure and began to strip away the majority of their armor. A few of them kept their greaves and gauntlets on. The majority also chose to carry their javelin with them while three opted to take their swords. They had all played this game with Annette before and each had a somewhat different plan to evade her. “Is there going to be a reward this time mistress?”

“I haven’t offered anything the last two times and you didn’t do all that well so I suppose I have to.”

There was some muttering amongst the guards and one of them even spoke up. “Mistress we didn’t slack off just because there wasn’t a reward. Your skills are improving and we don’t practice evasive techniques as often as you are on the hunt.”

Annette gave a slight giggle when she realized that she had offended the guards. “Sorry I didn’t mean for that to sound as negative as it did. I know you wouldn’t intentionally slack off on your task.” That was a lie of course but for the most part she knew the guards to be hard workers. “Anyway, you all remember the rules I take it?”

“Yes Mistress. You give us a thirty minute to a three hour head start to either hide in the forest or to keep moving. After which time you begin searching for us.”

“Okay now as for a reward.” Annette closed her eyes and began to consider her choices in this matter. She had a fair amount of trinkets she had brought home from her travels and more then enough money. “Whoever is the last person I catch can have a week paid vacation.”

Several of the guards glanced at one another. Annette had just assured that no two of them would be working together with that one statement. If she had offered equipment those that truly desired it may have struck a deal with the others that didn’t want it as bad. Had she offered money then they would be liable to form small groups which agreed to split the money but this none of them would want to share.

“Oh and to insure that you don’t get any ideas you can’t give your days to anyone else. So if everyone is ready you should get to hiding.” Annette gave a slight giggle as the group took off into a dead run. None of them even bothered to try and hide their tracks at least not while they were out in the open. Once they hit the forest she knew that some would slow down and be more careful while others would continue to try and put distance between themselves and her.

They had plaid this game before and Annette had always given them an inexact amount of hide which they had to use. Whenever she gave a great deal of time those that chose to run tended to have an advantage while when she gave a short time period those that had chosen to hide often lasted the longest.

“So you don’t really need those days off do you?” The guard smiled as he and his college ran along side one another for the time being.

“Not really. Especially while Annette is home but you don’t need them either.”

“Hey now that would really help me out.”

“Just how would it help you out?”

“I have needed to go to town for a while now and a whole week would let me get quite a few things taken care of.” As he spoke the man began to slow down and move in behind his college in an attempt to help conceal his tracks within the other man’s.

“I really believe that. Quit trying to run in my tracks.” Moving to the side the guard was determined not to be a decoy or a distraction for someone else.

Annette had walked back into her home once the guards had taken off running and was currently making use of an hour glass to keep track of how much time had passed. She had resolved during the walk to allow the glass to fill up over halfway but not all the way. This would give those that had chosen to hide a slight advantage over those that had chosen to run.

“You jackass.”

“Sorry I didn’t know you were hiding there.”

“You intentionally disrupted the path leading to here so that she would find me.”

Instead of continuing the debate the two men left the now ruined hiding spot. Now both of them had to find a spot to conceal them before Annette came along. As the two separated they each resolved to distance themselves from the other since one had just revealed how he played and the other feared he would be out for revenge. Though this was a fairly common tactic when one located a hiding spot they desired but it was already taken.

The others had left him far behind by now even though that had hidden themselves had still charged ahead further then what he had. In truth he was taken a high risk gamble as he had remained close enough to the complex for the forest to remain fairly thin which meant Annette was more likely to find him. However, with the odds being one in ten that he would when just by the numbers he felt it was best to take a high risk gamble.

The plan had worked in the past though very rarely. The first four people that had tried it had been caught right away. The goal was to let Annette move past you and then make your way back to the complex to find a hiding spot indoors. Of course this still meant you would be found eventually after all Annette didn’t give up the hunt until everyone was accounted for.

Straitening up Annette glanced down at the glass one last time. It was nearly two thirds full as far as she could tell which meant it was time to begin searching.

He heard when Annette began to make her way into the forest. Unlike the men she had no need to try and be subtle when she was searching around since her ears would pick up the sounds of them moving if they tried to run. There was also a difference in her movement speed one would have thought this would put those that run at a greater disadvantage since she could cover the distance easier however this was offset by the fact that as Annette had grown larger her senses had grown sharper.

Annette didn’t bother running but chose to walk at a reasonably comfortable pace as she followed the tracks of the guards. It was a good thing that she had them take off their armor given the condition of the ground if they had been carrying the extra weight their tracks would have been far to easy to track for it to be any fun.

The thought of armor brought Annette’s mind to her own armor and a rather pressing question. Should she have it made larger in order to accommodate her new size or had she finally grown strong enough that she could risk working without it? As she walked through the forest she noted it was nice to be able to better feel the branches press against her skin or the outside of her clothing and brake. It seemed to give her a better feel for how much larger and stronger she had become.

Annette didn’t really notice what she was doing until she was looking and walking towards one of the guards hiding spots. As she neared the spot she had to keep herself from giggling. She couldn’t see the guard but she knew he was there.

The game was up and he knew it. Annette was entirely to close for her not to notice him. Resigning himself to his feet he started to stand up when a sudden rush of movement nearly knocked him over. He had been hiding in a small dug out part of which consisted of a tree a tree which had suddenly been uprooted.

“You know you should have found a better spot. You were planning on sneaking back home weren’t you?”

Rubbing his arm the guard stood up. He quickly realized it had been some of the tree roots that had hit him. “Yeah.”

“I take it you learned your lesson about using that trick.”

“Well I learned not to hide near trees which you may uproot.”

“Huh?” Annette glanced down at the guard and noted a few marks on his arm and side. “Whoops I didn’t stop to consider what the roots may do.”

The guard waved his hand. “Well at least this way I won’t have to spend anymore time in the forest.”

“You’re forgetting something.”

The guard’s eyes widened in surprise “Sorry mistress.”

“You are forgiven. Well I going by your statement I assume that you want to go on back.”

“Yes Mistress.”

Annette gave a nod and stepped aside. She still held the tree above her head in her left hand. “Now don’t let me catch you trying to find another hiding spot.”

“Would I do that mistress?”

“I have no doubt that you would.”

“Very well Mistress I won’t try to deceive you.”

Annette blinked her eyes. She knew better then to trust that statement or at least she couldn’t help but be suspicious. A half smirk appeared on her face and she reached her free hand down and took hold of the guard. Her hand easily rapped around his entire body which allowed her to lift him up without setting down the tree. “Am I going to have to carry you back and restrain you?”

The guard had seen the hand coming so he didn’t suffer from as much shock as someone who was having his first encounter with Annette. “No mistress.”

Annette glanced at the tree she was still holding and then gave it a slight toss back in the direction which she had came. She intentionally kept her action brief as to show that she was only using a tiny portion of her strength. The massive bit of lumber flew through the air far further then what its relative size to Annette would imply such a slight toss would. “Hurry back and don’t let me catch you trying to pretend that I didn’t find you.” With that Annette set the guard back on the ground.

“Yes Mistress.” Turning the guard began to run back towards the compound. He had considered trying to do just what Annette had told him not to but he felt quite certain that she would punish him if he even tried and why he doubted that would involve him losing his life he didn’t really want to find out what punishment Annette had in mind. In general working for Annette was a fairly pleasant experience but they were jobs that no one wanted and even though he had been employed by her for a few years now he also knew Annette had a mean streak that could raise its head even at her home though very rarely.

Annette gave a slight giggle. It still only took a slight display of power to get the most people to comply with her wishes even after they had come to know her fairly well. Her amusement was somewhat dimmed by the fact that a part of her that wished it wasn’t as easy as that also implied a lack of trust.

How far ahead or behind was he compared to the others that had chosen to flat out run for it? He couldn’t actually be certain at the moment as he continued to job through the forest. His decision to carry his sword instead of his spear and proven advantageous as the weapons decreased length meant there was less of a chance of it getting snagged. Would Annette focus on those that had continued to run first or would she go after those that had chosen to hide? She tended to do a rather nice job of never hunting down either group in a particular pattern.

Annette knew if she focused on those that had hid themselves then those that had run were the most likely to win. However, if she chased down those that had run only then she would probably pass up those that had hidden for these reasons she chose to walk at a steady pace which gave her time to examine her surroundings. This was a steady pace to Annette which was growing more and more rapid these days. She could cover the distance in one step that would have taken a human a great many and she took her steps at the same speed of a human.

This game was going to be even shorter then previous ones and Annette knew it. As she walked she had already found the path of one of the guards that had ran for a reasonable distance unlike the first. Her senses had grown sharper perhaps even faster then her size and she already had a good idea just where he was located. To add to the ease of finding them her increased size simply made it to easy to catch up and reduced the time they had to hide themselves away.

“Won’t it be neat whenever I don’t even have to ask you to come down?”

The guard stuck his head out from over the side of the branch. “Well done Mistress. I didn’t expect you to find me so soon. What gave me away? Did I break too many branches on my way up?”

“What is it with you people and hiding around trees?”

“Sorry Mistress. I guess we are still thinking about when you were smaller and less skilled.”

Extending her hand upward Annette knew that she couldn’t reach the guard but at least this way he wouldn’t have to climb all the way back to the ground. “Come on down and I’ll help you to the ground. Actually, it wasn’t the broken branches that helped me figure out where you were.”

“What was it mistress?”

Annette gave a slight giggle. “You haven’t been exercising enough lately.”

“Mistress I was only slightly winded. Do you mean to tell me that you could hear my breathing?”

“Yes. Be careful not to fall I could probably catch you but from that high up it would probably hurt.”

The guard nodded his head as he continued to make his way down the tree. He had actually climbed to nearly double Annette’s own height.

“Is it really so surprising that I could hear you?”

“Yes mistress.”

“How far away can you hear a normal human who is slightly winded breathing?”

“A few meters depending on how good someone’s hearing is and if they have been taught to listen.”

“You do realize that I can hear a normal human being just as well as you can at a few meters except that a meter for me is currently four and a half times more then what it is to you. So if you can hear something at ten meters I can hear it at forty five meters.” The guard had made it low enough and Annette wrapped her hand around his waste.

The guard waited until Annette had set him on the ground before he spoke. “I see your point. Well Mistress if you grow too large even the forest won’t be hard enough for us to hide in. Do you ever worry about the sounds over whelming you?”

“You would think all the sound would interfere with my thought process but it doesn’t unless something particularly strange is occurring. I suppose I am like someone that is used to spending their time in the market and knows how to cut out the ranting of the merchants.”

“Out of curiosity mistress am I the first one you caught?”

Annette shook her head. “No but you are the second.”

“Well darn. I was hoping to provide more of a challenge for you.”

Annette gave a slight chuckle. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll see you back at my home I am going to continue my search for the others.”

*************************************************************************

“Well someone is just trying to be cute.” Annette had a grin on her face as she looked across the chasm that opened up before her. A rather large log had fallen across the gaping void however Annette doubted that it would be able to handle her weight and she was certain that at least one of her men had ran across it to avoid her. As she looked at the log a sudden realization hit her. She had been here before only when she was much smaller and could actually run across the log.

So far she had managed to capture five of the men and sent them back she was certain she would have caught the others before they had crossed the log if she hadn’t stopped to chat for a little while with each of them.

“They should know better then to try to use a tactic that didn’t work on me when I was smaller.” Annette took a few steps away from the edge of the cliff bending her knees she sprinted towards the opening. She jumped while she was still a step away from the edge of the opening the strength of her legs easily carrying her across the opening.

Annette gave a glance over her shoulder back towards the opening then an amused giggle. She hadn’t worried about falling even if she had the landing wasn’t very likely to cause her serious injury and there was no doubt in her mind that she would survive the impact. If the force of an enchanted arrow focused on a single point on her skin couldn’t brake it there was no way falling was going to harm her considering that the force would be spread out over her entire body.

“Okay you can come out now.”

A sigh was heard and one of the guards emerged from just behind a rather hefty boulder. “Congratulations mistress.”

“That didn’t sound like a congratulation sigh to me.”

“Sorry Mistress but I am not thrilled about not winning.”

Annette gave a slight giggle. “Which means a few of your friends did go ahead while you were certain that I wouldn’t be able to make the jump?”

“Yes mistress that and the run had left me rather tired.”

Annette glanced back over her shoulder. “I am going to go ahead and catch up with the others in that case. Tell me where you the first one here?”

“Yes mistress.”

“That is a good answer.”

“Why do you say that mistress?”

“Well I am going to take the fact that you were the first one here to mean that you ran the entire distance which explains why you weren’t able to continue on beyond this point. If you had been going at a slower pace I would have to require you to do something to improve your stamina if you want to keep your job.”

“I see mistress.”

Annette glanced back at the tree. “I swear it looks sturdy but that tree can’t have much longer to last. I believe on my way back I’ll just get rid of it.”

The guard wanted to protest but doubted Annette would be willing to listen to him. “Very well mistress. Shall I be on my way?”

“Yeah” Annette watched as the guard crossed the tree and couldn’t help the idea that popped into her head. They had tried to make her go around in order too buy time but in truth they would have to come back eventually. Perhaps she should just take the tree out now and see how long it takes them to travel back. Annette gave her head a quick shake and decided that was out of the question. She was hunting them after all and it wasn’t like her prey would normally come back to her.

“Well that isn’t good.” He had heard Annette approaching the opening or at least he felt certain it was her considering how rarely trees fell and limbs were torn off at such a rapid rate. He had then heard the impact and realized that she had simply jumped the opening. Now he was back to running not so that he could escape from her but rather in hopes that he would be able to get ahead of his friends.

There had been three of them all together. The first one caught had actually been the first across and felt confident that Annette wouldn’t be able to make her way over. At least he had provided a delay.

Annette didn’t know how many had crossed over but she knew there was at least one person. As she made her way through trees it didn’t take her long to pick up on his movement. Judging by what she heard she imagined that he was running at full speed and had given up any hope of concealing where he was. This meant that there had to be more then one person that had crossed over.

It seemed likely that he was trying to insure that whoever had crossed over with him would be captured first. Annette tried to avoid going after those that ran and those that hid in any particular order however with the runner being so easy to track she felt it was only fair that she went after him first.

At first it wasn’t clear what Annette would do but as he ran the guard realized his mistake. Instead of insuring that she got those behind him first he had drawn her attention to him. It wasn’t surprising though considering how much noise he had made and his path. He hadn’t stopped to rest after crossing over the gap and his sudden decision to go into a run in order to get ahead and simply caused him to make more noise.

While the dominant thought was to just stop and wait for Annette to locate him he soon resolved to keep moving. Even if seemed to be good as caught he wasn’t actually captured until Annette took hold of him.

It didn’t take long for Annette to catch sight of her prey the moment she did though a giggle escaped her. Up until now they had been unable to run or had simply stopped and given up once she caught sight of them. One of them had even come out because she called out to him so it was rather amusing to her to find one that had continued to run. “Okay you can stop now.”

“You haven’t caught me yet mistress.”

A delighted giggle escaped Annette though she realized it wouldn’t be much of a contest. Her walking speed was far faster then his running speed and he was already winded. Annette placed her hands behind her back and began to walk after the fleeing guard. As she pursued him she followed his path as best she could though his smaller body didn’t allow him to maneuver better those objects she couldn’t walk around she simply walked through. It only took a few seconds for Annette to catch up so that she was beside him.

He expected Annette to reach down and grab him at any moment but he could also hear her giggling so at least he knew that his employer was enjoying the game. He was a bit surprised when the massive pillar of Annette’s leg was suddenly right in front of him.

Annette had sprinted for just a moment so that she could get in front of the guard then came to a dead stop allowing him to collide with her leg. He didn’t even have time to try and stop before he collided with the massive pillar nor could he get up after the impacted as Annette placed her foot atop him easily covering the majority of his body. “Now have I caught you?”

“I have to admit mistress I am pretty well captured.” The guard had been surprised when Annette placed her foot atop him but he doubted that she was upset. The smile on her face was to warm at the moment and he had heard her giggle.

“You know this gives me an idea. Perhaps I should make a rule where I have to pin or restrain you before you’re officially captured and to make it even more fun I could disallow the use of my hands.” Annette lifted her foot from the guard allowing him to stand back up.

“Shall I go back now mistress?”

“Don’t you want to know if you’re the last one I caught or not?”

“That would be nice mistress.”

“You’re not the last person that I caught.”

The guard gave his head a slight shake. He had expected as much but knew that he should let Annette tell him. A few people had lost their prizes by not waiting to hear whether or not they had won or lost but instead assumed they had lost.

*************************************************************************

Annette glanced towards the sky as she walked towards her home. The victor the little contest was currently setting atop her shoulder holding onto the material of her top to help keep stable. “So when would you like to take your additional time off?”

“I don’t know for certain. Would it be okay if I held onto the time off for later mistress?”

“Yes but be sure to have a note made about it.”

“Welcome home mistress.” Annette waved as she noticed a few of her servants were waiting outside for her.

Annette didn’t respond to the greeting right away but waited until she was a few steps away from the entrance to actually speak. “I didn’t expect someone to be waiting outside for me. Is there something you needed to tell me?” Annette reached up and took hold of the guard she had been allowing to ride on her shoulder as she spoke she set him on the ground.

“We received word that Maxwell was traveling under an incantation to blind seers or locater spells.”

Annette moved closer to the servant that had given her the news. “Does that mean you were given some information about his location?”

“That is correct mistress. We were informed by messenger that he is nearly home and traveling along the eastern road.”

Annette quickly jumped to a standing position the sudden action, her proximity to the little people and her size nearly knocked them over. She didn’t bother to look back though but quickly sprinted off.

Traveling was often a problem for Annette considering how few things looked the same whenever she came through a second time even a slight increase in height could cause one to view things differently and considering how quickly Annette grew that was almost always a problem. This didn’t just trouble her in foreign lands but even in the lands which she called home.

They were however a few paths that she never seemed to forget. The way to Maxwell’s was one of them though some might have thought this was due to the fact that Annette had almost always taken a direct path to his home. The path had been worn quite clear over the years that she had been living within the lands as she had never did much to avoid the trees or anything else that got in her way.

In truth though it wasn’t that she had worn the path so clear that it was easy to follow or it had very little to do with how easily Annette found her way to Maxwell and a few other people. As one would soon learn she almost always seemed to be able to make a strait line to his home and a few other locations that were exceptionally important to her and more often not these lines were indeed strait. She had only begun to avoid farms and structures recently as she had grown too large to travel through them without causing significant damage.

The fact that Annette even bothered to avoid such things was amazing in some ways. However, as she had been welcomed into the lands or least she had been more welcome then what she was in most during her early years she felt a need to try and keep the damage she caused to a minimum.

Maxwell was tired. He had left only a day or two after Annette had left his lands in order to meet with the other leaders. It was good to be back in his own lands but that didn’t change the fact that the journey had left him drained he truly detested negotiations with the surrounding leaders. They seemed to take a great deal of joy in giving him as difficult of a time as possible perhaps due to his young age or maybe they just hated his deceased father for carving out a chunk of their territories.

Annette had to remember to impact the trees she brushed aside with her exposed skin as while her clothing was quite durable it wasn’t her armor and probably wouldn’t survive the trip if she treated it the same way.

As they continued to travel up the road Maxwell noted several loud impacts. At first he moved to retrieve one of his swords however when he noticed how rapidly the impacts were coming he relaxed. He had a pretty good idea who was coming especially as the sound grew even closer.

Annette had begun by heading in the direct of Maxwell’s house but as she had ran she had felt an impulse to change directions. She couldn’t explain where it had come from but she had learned to listen to this feelings and quickly changed directions. As she had traveled she felt she was approaching her target.

She didn’t seem to do it intentionally but Annette could make quite an entrance. Maxwell had seen this for himself several times and was witness to it again when Annette’s massive form came bursting through the trees to land ten meters ahead of them. He couldn’t tell her exact height since she landed in a crouch but he could tell that she was indeed larger then the last time he saw her.

“MAX.” They were few people in the world that received as warm of a welcome from Annette as Maxwell though some would question if this was a blessing or not. It only took her a few strides to close the gap between herself and Maxwell fortunately before she took hold of him she remembered to slow down her rate of movement before she scooped him up.

Maxwell couldn’t respond at first as he felt Annette’s massive hands close in around him. A moment later she had whisked him off his horse and up to her face. He started to reply but found this to be impossible only moment later as Annette pressed her massive lips to his face. He could recall a time when she could have limited the kiss to his cheek now her kiss covered his entire face and then some. Of course he never got such a warm welcome when she was small enough to limit the kiss to his face.

Annette held Maxwell until she sensed that he was having trouble breathing. At last she quit kissing him and held him away from herself.

“So Annette, I see that you made it back before me.”

“Yeah and I left sooner then you did as well.” Annette released her hold on Maxwell so that she was only holding him aloft with one of her hands. She then moved her now free hand under him and set him down upon it holding her thumb across his legs to hold him securely in her palm.

“I am glad to see you. So how did your journey go?”

“It went wonderfully well. I managed to come back with more then gold this time and.” Annette grew silent for a moment. “Blast it I wanted to give you a piece.”

“You wanted to give me a piece of what?”

“I managed to retrieve some interesting metal while I was away. I handed over most of it to the Luvarians for study but I kept a small amount of it for you. I just left it at my home.”

Maxwell leaned over a bit and gave Annette’s massive index finger a kiss. “Well now I feel guilty that I don’t have a present for you.”

Annette waved her free hand. “Well I wouldn’t have a gift for you if I hadn’t stumbled across one. Would you like to head towards your home or mine?”

“I would prefer to go to mine for now. I really want to switch out of these traveling clothes.”

Annette gave a quick nod of her head she then turned towards the guards that had been traveling with Maxwell. “I’ll take him on ahead. He’ll be safer with me anyway.”

Maxwell gave a slight chuckle. “I wondered if that was true for a moment when you moved to pick me up.”

“You know that I wouldn’t harm you. After all you’re my land lord.” Annette turned to go back the way she came but after taking a step she quickly changed her mind. It would be more fun to take the long way and have some time to speak with him. She quickly redirected herself and began to make her way up the road being careful to keep a speedy though not rushed pace.

Maxwell figured Annette was walking as fast as a horse at full gallop and while this was quick he knew that she could move faster which meant she wanted to talk. “So what all did you do while you were on your journey?”

“Have you ever heard of Armzon?”

Maxwell gave a nod. “I believe so. Wasn’t he a rebel? The last I heard he had been giving some barons quite a bit of trouble.”

“Well I was hired to hunt him down.”

“How did the hunt go?”

“Oh it was so much fun. I don’t get to fight so many people very often.”

“Just how many are we talking about?”

“I believe it was a bit over a hundred. Anyway, I was hired to hunt him down shortly after I arrived in the region. My employer was able to give me a few details on where he was located. I suppose that is kind of easy though when one is moving about with so many men people are bound to notice something.

I followed the leads that he gave around for a while and eventually ended up finding my way to a little village where I encountered some guards which struck me as being rather odd. Especially when I discovered that they had a mage within their ranks and saw the quality of their equipment.

My instincts told me that I was in the right spot or at least very close.” A slight giggle escaped Annette. “I was tempted to just level the place right then and see what other clues I could find.”

“What made you decide not to?”

“Well it was part of my employer’s domain so leveling the entire village might have been seen as a little extreme though I was really cutting the town’s people a brake though I did actually have grounds to attack. The mage hit me with a fire spell.”

Maxwell couldn’t help but laugh. “Really and did you provoke this attack?”

“Well I may have said a few things but nothing I felt would warrant an attack.”

“Sure. Please continue.”

“What you don’t believe me?”

“Annette I trust you but I also know you.”

“Well anyway. After they saw how little affect the spell had one me they began to cooperate. I wondered around town for a while and came by a nice bar. I believe the owner must have been a retired soldier or adventurer or something he wasn’t as nervous as I expected. I was able to convince him while we were talking to give me some information.”

“I imagine you gave him the chance to give you the information or you would just level the entire town.”

“Maybe now quit interrupting. After that I went back to speak with the head of the guards and found the others had went on ahead. Once again I engaged in some negotiations and was able to convince him I could kill him just as painfully as anyone else so he had best help me out. He lead him most of the day to the encampment You know I just realized that I didn’t bother to look for him on the way back down I wonder if he got away alive.

All well. I found Armzon and his little group of guards of course they had seen me coming up the trail and set a trap for me. When I tried to rush them I ended up smacking into a magic barrier and pelted with arrows. They actually had some people using enchanted arrows my armor stopped most of them but a few of them got me. Do you want to see where?”

“Sure.”

Annette used her free hand to move her hair to one shoulder and proceeded to lift Maxwell so that he was held level with her upper body she then moved him to the former location of the first arrow. “Can you see it?”

“No it seems you healed up quite nicely.”

“Are you certain it didn’t leave a scar?” Annette didn’t bother giving Maxwell any warning before she pressed him against her skin. His smaller body covered a very tiny portion of her massive frame far less then even an infant would have of an adult.

Maxwell grinned and placed his hands where he imagined the injury had been. Lifting his right hand up he began to chant slowly.

Annette felt the slight glimmer of magic coming from Maxwell. “I see that you have continued your studies.”

Maxwell didn’t respond until he finished the spell a soft glow began to alternate from his hand switching from blue to green as he moved it about. “Yes.”

“You just fused earth and water magic didn’t you? That is a diagnosis spell?”

Maxwell gave a nod and continued to search for the former location of the injury. “Even this way I can’t get a reading on where the injury once was of course given your resistance to magic I doubt even a scrying spell would work.”

Annette’s only response was to lighten up the pressure on Maxwell’s back though she didn’t lift him away from herself instead she moved him over her skin to where the second arrow had struck. “One got me here as well. It might have been a little deeper maybe you will be able to detect something here.”

Maxwell doubted it but he still proceeded to examine the spot. “No. I can’t say that I can detect anything.”

“All well.” Lifting Maxwell away from herself Annette held him level with her head as she continued to walk. “They managed to catch me off guard with the strength of the spell and the arrows though the arrows weren’t the worse part of the battle. There was actually a few mages working together to cast a massive earth wind fusion spell it packed quite a punch.

I was so flustered that I nearly made the mistake of going for the guards first. At least I was before the spell hit me after that I knew I had to take the mages out before they managed to get anymore of those spells off if I didn’t want to risk dying. It was fairly easy to run circles around the guards and get to each group of mages before they could get between me and them I was even able to avoid the vast majority of enchanted arrows.”

“What about the standard arrows?”

“Didn’t I tell you before that I quit dodging those all together?”

Maxwell thought for a moment. “No. I can’t remember you telling me that if you did.”

“Ah well. I haven’t bothered to dodge standard arrows for quite some time now and I believe the day is coming when I won’t need to dodge.” Annette grew silent for a moment as she considered her words. “I won’t need to dodge enchanted arrows that have been made by anyone less then an expert.” Annette had learned long ago not to make the mistake of lopping all magic items together.

“So you went after the mages how did that go?”

“It went easily enough a few of them tried to create shields but they weren’t a major concern. After I took care of the mages I went after those with enchanted arrows next. They were actually quite competent in that they kept firing at me even after I had killed the mages if they had turned to run none of them would have lasted as long as they did.

The archers were so much more fun to tear apart then the mages. I don’t know if it was because I knew I was safer with all the mages dead or if their stronger bodies just feel differently when they brake but I got quite a rush tearing them apart. ”

“I bet you had a lot of fun once everyone with enchanted arrows was dead.”

“Of course I did. I was actually able to take my mine after that and enjoy the feeling of their tiny bodies braking. Oh speaking of braking guess what I can do now.”

Maxwell glanced over the side of Annette’s hand and took a moment to consider what discovery she might have made related to braking people. “You discovered that you are finally tall enough to step on a fully grown human some time during your journey.”

Annette gave an amused giggle. “Well you got it one try. I suppose you know me quite well.”

“So I imagine you saved Armzon for last?”

“Of course it was kind of funny since he gave me the option to surrender and leave alive when I first arrived. I couldn’t extend the same mercy to him though if he would have let me pop his head off first thing I wouldn’t have had to slaughter his men. Um I can’t remember if I gave him that option when I arrived I suppose I should have and might have but I don’t remember if I did or didn’t. I might have been a little to excited by the idea of tearing his men apart after arriving.”

Maxwell couldn’t help but laugh. “That is my Annette. So what else did you do?”

“Well after I collected the head I had some trouble getting my payment. The guards wouldn’t cooperate and I was actually attacked after I forced my way in. It was the dead of night and I understand that he wanted to sleep but they could have been more accommodating.”

“Yes I imagine they could have.”

“Do you remember what you did the first time I came to collect my payment from you?”

“If I recall correctly I had a room prepared for you since it was late and some water heated for a bath you were quite filthy. Of course that was easier back then.”

“That is right. I was actually surprised that you gave me a whole room to myself.”

“Well you did rid me of a rather annoying problem. I can’t have bandits plaguing my roads no matter who they are associated with.”

“Yeah and you couldn’t go after them without starting a war since each time you tried to chase them down they ran across the border and hid themselves away. I bet that um I can’t remember his name. Well I bet their benefactor was quite upset when I sent them back to him in bits.”

“Believe me was though he won’t admit to it. I could tell at the talks I went to. It has been over seven years since then and he is still upset. Anyway, back to your story.”

“Okay. When he went his men after me I realized my best chance was to keep them from forming an organized unit so I began to tear apart the small groups as quickly as possible. It helped to deplete the man power even after they joined up. I thought I might have to retreat and attack again or kill all of his men but a while into the fight he finally came out and we had a nice talk.

“I left on better term then what I was going to.”

“An army wasn’t sent to chase you down?”

“No, but I was told that I wasn’t welcome in that region for a while though they may want to hire me again after people have had a few years to forget. I believe I may go back their before that happens though.”

“Are you being spiteful?”

“Of course you know I love to tease people when they can’t do anything about it.”

Maxwell shook his head. “And yet ever since you came to live here you have never charged me more then your standard rate. Your standard rate of a few years back that is what is it now?”

“Well I don’t really have a standard rate anymore now I just charge according to the capability of my opponent or the level of annoyance I am going to have to put up with. Asking me to clean out a nest of goblins is going to cost quite a bit simply on the grounds that they can be pains to catch.”

“I have to believe that your size wouldn’t help with that either. They would be able to tell your coming from quite some distance.”

“Yeah which gives them time to hide and the majority of the times they hide underground which can make getting to them even more difficult.”

“I just remembered you said you found some rare metal while you were traveling. Did Armzon have it?”

“Nope hey you got me side tracked.”

“Sorry.”

“Well alright. Would you like to hear what happened after I collected my money?”

“Sure.”

“Well I guess that I’ll have to tell you later.”

“Why is that?”

Annette’s response was to turn Maxwell around so that he was no longer looking at her but could see how close they were to his home.

“This trip is quite quick when moving at full gallop the entire time.”

“Yeah I didn’t realize that I was walking so fast.” Annette continued on up the path leading to the estate however instead of heading towards the main gate she decided to have a little fun and simply walked strait instead of following the curving road until she came to the outer wall and tilted her hands so that Maxwell could look down at the ground a moment later she lifted her massive leg and easily stepped over the barrier.

“You always did enjoy it when you reached a new level.”

Annette intentionally stepped down with more force then she needed to so that the impact was easily heard. “Guilty as charged. It is just so much fun to be able to step over a wall.”

“A wall meant to hinder you still can’t step over a castle wall.”

“Oh you just wait little one. One of these days I’ll be over to step over the tallest castle wall you little people can build. I bet I could climb over one easily enough already.”

“I don’t doubt that.”

“Do you believe I’ll be able to come inside?”

“I believe they are some sections in my home meant to accommodate you though I don’t know for how much longer but don’t worry I wouldn’t dream of leaving a guest outside when they come to visit. I’ll have those sections expanded as soon as I am able.”

Annette lifted Maxwell up to her face and gave him a quick kiss. “Thanks. Do you have enough money put away to pay for the expense? I could always make a donation since I doubt you’ll be having any guest that would require you to make the adaptations I do.”

“I’ll be certain let you know but you’re going to have to expand an entire building. One that is already quite large.”

Annette waved her hand dismissively. “I can more then afford it.”

“How much have you saved up? Wait I don’t believe I want to know you’ll probably make me envious.”

“Well I am basically a one woman battalion so I do tend to make quite a bit.” Annette finally came to the main entrance to the estate at least the main entrance if you had supplies or happened to be a giantess.

Maxwell glanced back at the gate and waited to see it opening. After a little while he had to speak up. “Have they even unlocked..” Maxwell grew silent when the door slowly began to open.

“I suppose they didn’t expect us so soon.” Reaching out Annette resolved to give the mechanism and people that opened the door a little help and began to push it the rest of the way open. Those working the ropes were use to this and had release as soon as they had felt the rope stiffen at an unusually quick rate having long ago learned what that meant.

Annette took a few steps into the main area and noted the difference between those that Maxwell employed and those that she employed while either group was somewhat use to her those that worked for Maxwell clearly expressed more concern when she arrived. “I regret that I didn’t know you as well as I do now when I was smaller.”

“You could have accompanied me through more of my home.”

Annette gave a nod and walked as far into the structure as she was able to Annette then bent down and set Maxwell just in front of one of the side doors.

“I believe they expected me to go your home first so I don’t know if everything will be prepared for your arrival here. That said you could still go and wait in the study if you would like.”

“That sounds good to me.”

Nodding his head Maxwell exited through the door leaving Annette to do as she pleased.

Annette waited for the door to shut then took a quick looked around. Maxwell had his home modified extensively to allow her to move to and remain in certain rooms. They were two doors in the current room which she could move through the entrance was one and another was a side door which lead to the court yard she could then travel through there and enter the study or library in all reality.

Those that had been waiting in the court yard quickly retreated from it when they heard the massive main doors being opened. They preferred to avoid their employer’s guest as well as possible though a few of them stayed behind to watch as Annette stepped into the court yard and carefully made her way down the walkway.

“Is she walking toe to hill?”

“I believe she is good lord she couldn’t even put her feet side by side and stand on the path at least not entirely now.”

Annette could hear the servants talking about her and considered joining in on the conversation but decided against it. Instead she continued to the entrance to the study. The doors unlike the front ones had only one purpose and that was to allow Annette to move about when she visited for this reason opening them was entirely up to her.

The library had been one of the largest rooms in the entire building second to the dining hall each of the rooms were several stories tall despite this a great man of the books had to be removed and several walk ways torn down in order to accommodate Annette and it seemed that it would need to have a elevated roof if she grew much longer. This tended to weaken the entire structure as a whole but Annette tended to make up for the decreased defense.

Annette moved to the center of the library and took her usual spot. She could hear a few doors being shut on either side of her. There wasn’t a doubt in her mind that it was people who had been in the library making a rather hasty departure upon her arrival.

There had been a time when Annette could have wondered through the various shelves and attempted to find something to read now that task would have been considerably more difficult and she felt confident that she would end up destroying something unintentionally. This posed a problem for her as she found herself rather bored especially in comparison to the high that she felt while rushing off to find Maxwell.

As Annette waited she found her boredom growing and began to look between the shelves she could reach hoping that something would catch her. As of the moment though she hadn’t seen anything that looked like it would be particularly interesting to read at least none of the covers or few titles that she could actually read seemed to be interesting. The shelves were lined with basic magic books of various types, history and strategy books as well lined the rows.

The Application of Non-Human Species in Battle Annette caught sight of the book near the edge of one of the shelves the book was quite thick and the cover seemed to be quite sturdy. Reaching out Annette placed a finger on either side of the document insuring that she had a finger in-between to try and retrieve it. The book came out surprisingly easily despite Annette’s massive size.

Annette was actually surprised by how easily she was able to remove the book from its spot though she didn’t know if it had been easy due the improvements in her coordination and self control that came with her size increases or if it was simply placed in a position that would make it easy for her to retrieve.

A slight giggle escaped Annette as she opted to believe that it had been the books position that made it easy to remove as well as its size since this meant she could then guess whether or not it had been placed there intentionally or not. She once again chose to believe it had been placed there intentionally by Maxwell in preparation for one of her visits so she wouldn’t be bored while waiting for him.

Now that Annette was holding the tome in her hand she was quite surprised by just how large it truly was. The book’s weight actually took up three of her fingers and it was horribly thick its length was even greater then its width either the book had a lot of large pictures or it had a very extensive list of strategies in it.

“Wait a minute.” Annette turned the book over in her fingers a few times further estimating its actual size and weight it didn’t take her long to realize that it probably was set out just for her. It would have been far more practical to break the book up into several volumes instead of a single massive volume. This actually brought a slight blush to her cheeks she was use to people doing things for her because of her size and the fear she could put in them however she truly loved it when someone did something for her out of pure thoughtfulness.

When Annette opened the book she wasn’t surprised to see that the text inside was as small as the text of any other book. Maxwell knew that despite her size her eyes could easily pick up even such small details from a great distance. As she ran her finger over the paper she could tell that earth magic had been used on the pages considering whom it was meant for Annette imagined that a durability spell had been cast on it.

“Okay let me see here what do you want to read about first?” Annette began to look through the table of species her first instinct was to see what the book had to say about giants however she went to far and noticed goblins before then. A smirk appeared on Annette’s face. “This should be interesting.”

Using her pinky to move the pages the true depth of the book became apparent when she made it to the goblin section and noticed on the first page there was an additional list which named the various known species of goblin. Annette recognized some of the types though others she had yet to encounter she went to the section which dealt with those she had the most experience with and cleared her throat.

“These are thought to be the most numerous of the goblin species. They are a naturally viscous bread those that enlist their help are taking a great risk just negotiating with them can be quite a difficult experience as they are more likely to attack you then speak with you only after one has managed to not only corner them but proof they are outmatched do they become even the least bit reasonable.

The only good thing about their lacking of intelligence is one isn’t likely to encounter a mage amongst them and their tactics are lacking.

This benefit is hardly worth it though as once one does manage to speak with them they often find a political system that would sicken the most corrupt of politicians as while it is in part based on the strongest will rule it is so full of treachery and assassinations this does not even seem to be reliable.”

“I imagine that you are one of the few people that could serve as an effective negotiator with those little beasts.” Maxwell had a grin on his face as he walked out from between several rows of books. He hadn’t expected to be able to sneak up on Annette given how perceptive she normally was but then again she was in a relaxed setting and she did consider him a friend it probably had something to do with her decreased awareness.

Annette grinned as she looked down at Maxwell and closed the book she placed it on the closest table instead of trying to put it back on its shelf. “Do you feel better now?”

“I feel much better.” Maxwell continued until he was within Annette’s reach a few moments later her felt Annette’s massive hand wrap around him and he was lifted into the air once he was eye level with her she repositioned him so that he was once again setting on her hand with her thumb holding him in place. “So did you find the reading to be interesting?”

“Well I didn’t actually get to the strategy section I was just reading the political.”

“I wish I could say that the strategy section is long but when it comes to goblins it appears there isn’t much planning that wouldn’t just be wasted.”

“Have you had experience with that?’

“No. I can’t say that I have ever been in a situation in which working with goblins was a good idea.”

“Have you read that book?”

“I read some of it about those species I was most likely to encounter. I acquired the first volumes of it once I began working with you actually.”

“I hope this was before you came to trust me.”

“It was back when we were on a purely working relationship.”

“So when did you acquire that version?”

“I actually had work begin on it once I realized you could no longer fit through the shelves when you came to visit.”

“Did you only have it put out recently?”

“No. It has actually been setting there for quite some time it just seemed that you were always able to find something else to amuse you.”

“How about we go back outside? I really don’t like setting so much.”

“You just want to go where you can stand and walk around freely to show off your size.”

Annette stuck her tongue out at Maxwell which given his proximity meant she nearly licked him. “You know me to well.” Standing up Annette didn’t bother waiting for a yes or no but proceeded to open the doors leading into the library and step back out into the garden.

Maxwell leaned against the finger that was currently holding him in place he didn’t mind if Annette took the lead she most assuredly didn’t ask his permission to pick him up when she had met him on the road. “So why don’t you finish telling me about your journey?”

“You had those clothes enchanted didn’t you?”

Maxwell glanced down at his legs for a moment. “Yeah they have a light enchantment on them. Have you been working on sensing magic?”

“I have but just a little.”

“Well maybe that will make your parents happy.”

“Pfft, they want me to be able to since what spell has been cast on a book through three layers of magic shielding.”

“You know that is an exaggeration.”

Annette grinned and turned her hand so that Maxwell was upside down. “No taking their side.”

Maxwell rolled his eyes knowing full well that he wasn’t in any danger. “I have seen their expectations of you and given your natural abilities I believe they are quite reasonable.”

Annette pouted a bit seeing that Maxwell wasn’t concerned with her little display of course she was glad that he wasn’t. It was only a couple of seconds before she turned him upright once again. “So what made you decide to change into some enchanted clothing?”

“They ruin less easily.”

Annette opened the door leading to the entrance chamber and the exit. “Hey I haven’t ruined that many of your clothes.”

“Yeah but I have noticed that the number of outfits of mine you end up destroying have gone up with your increased size.” Maxwell knew that Annette’s size actually had very little to do with his ruined clothes except for what her size allowed her to do. The main reason he had lost so many is that she had grown closer to him and he her so that she was more prone to playful out burst.

“Well you shouldn’t have them made out of such weak material. Oh wait that is what you have done.” Annette used her free hand to give herself a light smack upon the head.

“Since we are going for a walk why don’t you take me to your place and let me see the metal you wanted to show me? You can tell me about how you acquired it on the way.”

Annette pressed open the final doors and gave a quick nod. “Sure.” She then lifted Maxwell so that he was level with her shoulder. “Why don’t you ride here?”

Maxwell had to wait for Annette to left the finger she was using to restrain him before jumping off and onto her shoulder. Once there he quickly took hold of a few strands of her hair and the edge of her top.

“I see you haven’t been neglecting your martial training.”

“I practice when I get the chance but while traveling I find that reading is more suitable.”

With her hands free now Annette rapped them around herself so that she was just pushing up on her breast making them seem the slightest bit larger. “So should I take the direct rout or the long rout this time?”

“I believe we should take the path which you used to get to me so quickly. I imagine it is clear enough that I don’t have to worry about being knocked off especially if you walk.” Maxwell was shaken slightly when Annette chuckled.

“It probably is though I wasn’t exactly paying attention to how well I had cleared it out.”

“You know I would have to scold you if there was a lack of timber.”

“Oh please I haven’t destroyed anymore then you would have lost if you tried to create a new battalion of soldiers which I am worth. I probably require fewer resources in the long run.”

Maxwell glanced off the side of Annette’s shoulder for a moment. “How goes your eating habits?”

“The amount I like to eat has gone up but the percentage I need has gone down.”

Maxwell lifted his foot and gave Annette’s shoulder a few kicks. “Well come on continue the story.”

“Hey how would you like it if I kicked you?”

“I wouldn’t appreciate that but you did invite me to ride on your shoulder.”

Annette gave a slight giggle. “After I collected my payment I was ready to rest though I was disappointed that I couldn’t get a spot in town. So I found a nice river to camp by and took a bath. I didn’t expect that I would have company.”

“Hey no skipping ahead, you need to detail the bath.”

Annette found herself blushing as she hadn’t expected Maxwell to tease her. “Well maybe later or perhaps I’ll give you a live show.”

“Even better please continue.”

“Well a little while after I had finished bathing and started to cook a snack a mage showed up with a job offer. At first I was moderately skeptical but I didn’t have any other work and I doubted that someone would track me down just to waste my time especially considering how difficult I hear it is to locate me using a spell. He wanted me to go and kill a certain dragon for spell components and offered quite a nice sum of money.

Naturally I accepted the offer once he gave me a locater stone to find the dragons location. I chose to take a more direct path then usual since the stone kept me pointed in the right direction.”

“Did you run through any villages while taking this direct path?”

“A few and one that I even stopped at. While I was traveling I ended up in a dwarf settlement and ended up meeting with one of their security officials. He and a few of the guards followed me around in order to find out what my intent was and they also helped me out a bit once I told them I was there to kill a dragon.

Apparently they had been having difficulty with a particularly stubborn dragon that wouldn’t get out a mine they desperately wanted. I stayed around both to have my armor let out since it wouldn’t fit me any longer and to learn what I could about the dragon. The dragon was a wind type which had been conducting hit and run raids on any supplies that tried to come up the mountain paths however there was something very odd about this dragon.”

“I imagine there would have to be to prevent the dwarfs from just cornering it and dealing with the problem on their own.”

“Yeah it seems while it was a wind dragon it had unusually strong armor which turned out to be very true. I haven’t even fought earth dragons with scales that tough.”

“Do you know how that happened?”

“It seems the mine the dragon took up residence in was filled with a certain metal the dwarfs are calling it arcanon. It is exceptionally strong and works very well with magic in some ways.”

“Sounds like something the elves might have developed.”

“You didn’t let me finish. It works very well with magic at times however it seems to be one way it also tends to disrupt or even destroy magic enchantments on touch and is nearly immune to magic attacks.”

Maxwell couldn’t help the expression on his face. “That is something else most items that function well with magic can be disenchanted since they are magically made themselves.”

“That doesn’t seem to be the case but let me tell you more of the story and I’ll explain the metal more when we get back to my place.”

“Sure.”

“Well Durin the head of the military units there filled me in on details about the dragon and the cave. The main reason they couldn’t corner the dragon in the mine was that the walls were lined with the arcanon and somehow the dragon was using it to transmit and magnify its own attacks which means every time they stepped into the mine they got baked unless they war some specially made heavy armor.

The problem with the armor though was that it was entirely too bulky and they couldn’t fight effectively while wearing it so they needed someone that could handle the armor being thick enough to resist the attacks but still be able to move.”

“And I imagine you fit the requirement perfectly.”

Annette couldn’t help but give a rather prideful smirk. “Yep, the dwarfs actually made me a suit of armor which could resist the attacks and we agreed that I could have enough of the metal to equal the volume of my armor. Now I had been hired earlier to kill the dragon and retrieve body parts so they also agreed I could do whatever I wanted with the corpse.”

“I don’t believe you told me what the mage offered to pay you.”

“Well he offered money and quite a lot of it or a combination of money and magic items some of which would have been made from the dragon itself. Anyway, the dwarfs ended up suiting me up in well I suppose I would call it solid plate armor since full plate doesn’t quite describe it. The stuff was basically a solid shell.”

“Which would divert the energy around you?”

“Bingo. Durin a few others and I went to the mine to kill the dragon and well things didn’t go quite as easy as I thought it was going to be. I couldn’t brake through the darn things armor I even ended up breaking my sword over it.”

“Wow I have seen you hack your way through magic barrier with that thing.”

“I haven’t gotten around to having it enchanted again yet.”

“Would you like me to try and enchant it or do you plan on having a large weapon made first?”

“Well to be honest I don’t really know if I want to continue using a weapon at my current size and strength just using own hands and feet is starting to look good. They’re the only weapons I know that I won’t end up outgrowing.”

“That is probably true. You said you didn’t feel like giving me much details about the fight at least let me know how you won.”

“Well it isn’t exactly astounding or dignified what I did. Durin pointed out a weak point in the mine wall and I pinned the dragon against it while pounding it into the wall once a cave in got going I grabbed Durin and ran.”

“Did the cave in kill it?”

“Well between the cave in and the blunt trauma damage I was able to do with my hands it wasn’t strong enough to escape. After that the dwarfs sort of starved and smoked it to death.”

“Smoked?”

“Yeah you know. Flooded the mine with smoke to insure that no air got to the dragon they suffocated the moth.” Annette gave a slight giggle. “Come to think of it that is a pretty fitting in to the overgrown insect of course it wasn’t normal smoke I don’t know exactly what was in the mixture but apparently it was a good time to be able to stay down wind.”

“I suppose that means you stayed far away.”

“Yeah.”

“What about the mage that hired you?”

“Oh he showed up shortly after I buried the dragon apparently he worried that I was backing out or something.”

“I am surprised you didn’t kill him for doubting you.”

“Well he didn’t offend me. So are you curious to see the metal itself?”

“Of course I am though I don’t want you to speed up I rather like these rides they are so much better then horse back.”

“I like that you can set on my shoulder so easily now.”

“I am glad you don’t mind me hitching a ride.”

“It is fun carrying you around. Hey I almost forget the dragon wasn’t the final foot note to my journey though.”

“What else happened?”

“I ended up being ambushed by a group of bounty hunters using enchanted arrows.”

“Were they specially made or mass produced?”

“Now why did you have to ask that? They were the standard ones. Well I suppose as standard as enchanted arrows get. Still, you wouldn’t believe what a thrill it was when they couldn’t even penetrate my skin it was a wonderful brake from the dragon that and I realized something else during the fight.”

“What did you realize?”

Annette gave an amused giggle. “That I no longer have to nock someone over in order to step on them.”

“You’ve gotten a lot more powerful then when you first came here.”

“I know.”

*************************************************************************

Annette wrapped her massive fingers around Maxwell and lifted him from her shoulder she then deposited him on the table where the sliver of metal currently rested. “Let me know what you think about it.”

Nodding his head Maxwell walked over to the bit of material. He was actually a bit surprised to see there was enough to make a dagger from it seemed that Annette’s eyes of a little was becoming larger. When he went to lift the metal though he was surprised by how light it was. “Well this wasn’t expected I thought it would be heavier. How does the material’s cutting power hold up with it being so light?”

“I haven’t had much of a chance to test that to be honest though I imagine the edge can make up for that.”

Maxwell gave a nod and rolled the material over in his hands a few times. “Would you mind if I tried a few things?”

“Go right ahead I brought it back for you after all.”

Maxwell gave a nod. “You said that the dragon was a wind dragon as I recall. Let’s see if I can get an idea of how the dragon managed to amplify its mystic energy.”

“You’ll probably have an easier time then the dwarfs did figuring that out I don’t believe I saw a mage amongst any of them while I was there well except the one that hired for me.”

Maxwell gave a nod and started to turn away from Annette when her hand suddenly appeared in front of him. “Huh?”

“Try it out on my hand.”

“I don’t know if that is wise Annette we don’t know how much this will magnify a spell.”

Annette gave an amused giggle. “While your concern is appreciated I don’t think I have much to worry about considering you’re far from a arch mage and I doubt you’ll try to run your most powerful spells through it right away that and the dragon had an entire mine you only have a little piece.”

“You do realize the fact that it was trying to use the entire mine and not focusing its power on a single spot might have actually lessoned the affects.”

“Well I am not exactly standing right in front of you am I?”

“Good point but let us start with something none living first okay?”

“That would be safer but no.”

“Annette there is no need to take unneeded risk.”

“Come on Maxwell you don’t have to worry so much about harming me now give it a shot. We don’t even know if you can channel your magic through it after all.”

“Okay you win. However, if you since that the magic is building up to much force.”

“I’ll be sure to cover your body with my hands.”

“I was going to say to move your hands.”

“Um no if I believe that there is going to be too much energy released for you to control I would rather risk having my hands burned off then you getting killed.”

Maxwell rolled the bit of metal around in his hands for a few moments before setting it down on the table. “Okay that was a pretty bad idea on my part. We’ll just wait until we can arrange a safer situation.”

“Huh? You can still give it a try if you want I am certain that I am more then strong enough.”

“It sounds to me someone has let their ego get a little too big for their own good.”

“What do you mean?”

“You always get this way whenever you reach a new level of power. I imagine you are feeling quite confident now that enchanted arrows bounce off of you.”

“Oh you hardly need to worry about me go ahead and give it a try if things look like they’ll become dangerous I can protect you.”

“And in protecting me you may get yourself harmed. No I’ll wait until they are some more safety measures in place.”

Annette let out a slight sigh and straitened herself up while placing her hands on her hips. “I don’t believe you realize just how powerful I really am little one.”

Maxwell couldn’t help but chuckle he had seen Annette this way before and on quite a few levels it was amusing. “I believe you don’t realize your own limits.”

“Am I going to prove just how capable I am now?”

“How would you go about doing that?”

Annette now had a playful smile on her face. “You and I are going to step outside and I’ll show you just how capable I am.” With that Annette extended her hand so that Maxwell could sit on it.

Maxwell took his place. “Okay.”

*************************************************************************

Annette stretched her arms above her head holding the position for a moment before lowering them to her sides and then placing them on her hips. She had stripped down so now she only wore what would have amounted to a bikini if bikinis were made of rather sturdy plate armor.

Maxwell had to keep his mind focused and not admire Annette’s body as he currently busied himself carving an arcane circle into the granite. He did actually need the mystic circle to cast the spells he had in mind but it would help him focus making the experience less draining and the spells more powerful.

“How is the circle coming?”

“Its coming you’ll need to give me a while longer though I don’t normally have time to use something this complex.”

“That is alright take all the time you need just make sure it is the most powerful one you know.”

“Don’t worry it is.”

Annette nodded her head and began to bounce around a bit helping to warm up her legs for the ensuing match. She and Maxwell had actually done this several times in the past in order to test her abilities and his to a lesser degree. She would allow him to set up a situation that favored him far more then her and then they would also apply certain rules. In this case she wasn’t allowed to shatter any of the mystic circles or artifacts he happened to be using to boost his capabilities.

Annette on the other hand didn’t have much to help her at all. At first she had worn her armor to provide extra protection incase an accident occurred but as of late she had been stripping down to less and less until now she felt she was exposed as most situations could possibly cause her to be.

A long sigh escape Maxwell as he finished making the final etching and set down within the center of the circle. He then reached behind himself and removed both of his swords and implanted them into the ground next to him.

“Oh so you aren’t going to be holding back?” Annette new that both of Maxwell’s weapons of choice had rather powerful enchantments on them one being enchanted with fire while the other held wind magic within it not only did it make the weapons more effective but they could double as casting tools and boosters for certain spells.

“Well you wanted to prove me that your ego wasn’t simply inflated.”

“You do remember that I beat you the last time we did this.”

“That is true but perhaps you didn’t notice this is a more powerful circle and I have improved while you were away and while you can’t see my improvements as easily as your own believe me they are quite significant.”

Annette gave an amused giggle. “Sure they are.”

Maxwell didn’t bother to comment back but began to slowly chant. If Annette didn’t believe him he would just have to prove it to her.

Still grinning Annette began to walk away from Maxwell rather slowly while she wasn’t certain what spell he was casting she knew that it was going to take him quite some time to cast it. The main reason she felt confident about this was she felt the power in the words and the slow build up of the spell she couldn’t tell what it was making but she knew that it was complex.

For a moment Annette was tempted to try and break Maxwell’s concentration by speaking to him but she decided against it. He rarely used a spell that required him to use more then a few words to shape the magic and as she watched she noted that the glyph he had carved into the ground was beginning to glow as were the two enchanted blades. He was fusing fire and wind magic to form something.

Maxwell knew that he would have been dead by now if he had actually been fighting Annette indeed in nearly any combative situation he could think of he would have been dead long ago however the spell was simply too powerful and complex for him to short cut it at his current level of skill despite this he was quite pleased with himself when he was able to finish the ten minute long chant.

Annette could feel the energy release and readied herself for whatever Maxwell was about to throw at her however after a minute of waiting she couldn’t help but wonder. “Did something go wrong with the spell?”

“No.”

Before Annette could ask a follow up question she felt a rather heavy impact on the back of her head the force of the blow was actually enough to send her toppling to the ground. This did little to daze her though as the moment she hit the ground she quickly rolled to her side the sound of another impact hitting the spot she had been lying on just moments later confirmed that something was most assuredly attacking her.

It only took a few moments for Annette to spring to her feet in order to find out what was attacking her. “Oh that is just mean.”

Maxwell had a rather large grin on his face. He had spent his time summoning an elemental composed of both fire and wind. The reason why Annette had felt the impact so completely was that it was actually a small explosion. “You’re the one that wanted to prove yourself. I take it you regret not practicing now.”

Annette frowned she didn’t like being reminded of her skipping her exercises. “I don’t know to train to beat these things.” Annette advanced quickly and attempted to drive her fist into the elemental only to find her hand moving through nothing but air as the mystic creation temporarily separated. A growl escaped Annette as the moment her hand was extended and her defense was open the elemental swung its still corporeal fist.

The explosion was actually quite powerful and this time it hit Annette right in the face though to Maxwell’s surprise she didn’t move backward but simply braced herself and moved toward into the impact using her shoulder she slammed her entire body into the elemental.

Maxwell could feel the drain on his energy when Annette hit the elemental. Having the elemental temporarily disperse part of its body had consumed energy as well but not nearly as much still he was at a major advantage. The vast majority of opponents would have simply avoided the elemental and gone for him since killing him would have dispersed the creation nearly immediately.

Of course Annette wasn’t allowed to attack him in this situation or destroy the arcane symbol which was currently helping him to maintain the spell. This meant her only choice was to constantly pound away on the elemental until she exhausted all of his energy. A task made even more difficult by the fact that the only way she could hit it was to get it when it could separate such as when she had countered its punch.

Maxwell felt a bit of relief when it seemed like Annette had resolved not to continue her attack on the elemental this was short lived though as he saw her draw her foot back and move to kick it while he was able to avoid the strike by having that section of the elementals make up turn incorporeal for a moment he realized that Annette wasn’t going to cut him any slack.

What had I been thinking? Was the dominant thought in Annette’s head as she attempted to stomp the elemental. It was true that hitting it would say far more energy then making it switch forms but that didn’t mean forcing Maxwell to constantly be changing the elementals shape and density wouldn’t sap his energy faster.

The elemental had to be made to avoid Annette’s several times before it was actually able to mount an attack against her. At first Maxwell had felt confident he would be able to wear her down given the rules of their match however he hadn’t gotten a good glimpse of her face until she had began to try and stomp the elemental and realized she didn’t have the slightest hint of a bruise it seemed wearing down her body would take far more effort then he had original believed.

Annette had a great deal of dislike for anything that could switch from corporeal to in corporeal mostly since it proved that she really needed to master more of her body’s abilities. Of course if she had a weapon with a powerful enough enchantment she would have been able to harm the elemental no matter what state it was in. The thought of weapons made her remember Maxwell’s swords.

An explosion signaled another solid hit as the elemental combined the wind and fire magic making up its being to generate the blast every time it managed to get close enough to Annette however when Maxwell saw what happened he found that Annette had intentional blocked the attack. “Blast it you’re using the energy from your swords to supplement your own power aren’t you?”

“I couldn’t maintain this very long other wise.”

“You little sneak. Okay I’ll show you what real muscle is.”

Maxwell wasn’t certain just what Annette was talking about until she resumed her attack on the elemental. At first her attacks had been somewhat focused now she seemed to be going for whatever part of the elementals body happened to be solid at that moment even if it meant leaving herself open to an attack.

A shockwave ran through Maxwell’s body as he had the elemental attack Annette using the same explosive technique as before. She had actually met what would have passed for the elementals fist with her own.

Annette felt her hand slow down as the force of the explosion countered her fist then she felt that give way and her hand push into the section of the elementals arm that hadn’t been meant to be torn away pressing forward Annette once again slammed her entire body into the elemental.

While Annette didn’t know how quickly she was draining Maxwell he had a perfectly good estimation of how rapidly she was sapping his strength. He knew that Annette’s abilities increased even more quickly then her size did but he hadn’t estimated her to fight in such a savage manner.

The force of Annette’s feet stomping the ground and her weight sent mini shockwaves throughout the area as she tried to stomp down on any part of the elemental that even looked like it would become corporeal. At least until she noticed a chance in the elementals energy as the green turned to red.

Maxwell was very glad he had chosen a spot far away from the fight itself as he felt the shockwave from the explosion Annette had been attacking so quickly that he had no choice but to cause the elementals entire being to detonate though it was a significant drain on him as now if Annette was able to continue he would have to reform its body all over again.

“Someone is going to have to do better then that.” Annette had a huge grin on her face as she walked towards Maxwell. “That was a very large elemental it has been a long time since I saw one as large as well as large as what I am now.”

Maxwell grinned as he looked up at Annette. “Do you feel like continuing?”

“Do I look like I have been harmed?”

“Sorry I can’t tell you’re sort of dirty.”

Annette glanced down at her body for a moment. “Well don’t worry even if you can’t see it I assure you I am perfectly fine. You really shouldn’t have used explosions like that to fight me.”

Maxwell was about to ask why when the reason suddenly hit him. “Damn the energy was too spread out.”

“That is correct. That elemental really would have been better suited to fighting a group then fighting a single opponent. So do you feel like continuing or do you give up?”

“I give. I swear this is just getting too easy for you.”

“Since I won would you mind cleaning me off?”

“Sure.” Standing up Maxwell glanced down at the symbols he had spent so much time inscribing only to have them come to not. “I swear if I spent anymore time on this I would be quite upset.”

“Isn’t that the most complex one you know?”

“Well it is the most complex one I can make on my own but I have seen a few diagrams during my studies if I had my books I could make something more complex.”

“Maybe some other time now how about for cleaning me up.”

“Sure.” Maxwell removed both his weapons from the ground and sheathed the fire sword. The wind enchanted one he proceeded to point at Annette and began to chant.

“Ahh hey.” A delighted squeal escaped from Annette as a torrent of water rushed from the blade as while the sword wasn’t water aligned its wind enchantment did allow it to function very well as a focus for such attacks. Annette had to move her hand to block the torrent of water from slamming into her face. “I thought our sparring match was over.”

A playful grin was on Maxwell’s face. “It is you won.”

“Then why am I being assaulted with a torrent attack?”

“Huh, what attack?”

“Unless I have lost my ability to gage force this is more then enough to clean me off actually I believe it would be able to cause some serious damage.”

Maxwell responded by adjusting the angle though not the force of the spell. “Well it takes a lot of force to affect you.”

“Huh?” Annette knew that Maxwell knew that it would take a lot more force then what the water was currently exerting to truly affect her. The only reason she had even responded was she hadn’t expected him to use such a powerful spell. However, after the shock wore off and Maxwell adjusted the angle she realized exactly what he was talking about. “Well I suppose they do have quite a lot of mass it would take a lot of force to move them.” Annette proceeded to bring her hands up and press against the underside of her breast. “However I wanted to get more then a few parts of my body cleaned off.”

“Okay.” Maxwell proceeded to adjust the jet of water to clean Annette’s entire body off though he made no effort to diminish the force even though it was depleting his energy to maintain it.

“Are you still doing that?”

“Doing what?”

“Casting spells until you don’t have the energy to light a candle on a regular basis?”

“Of course it is a rather effective way to develop ones skills.”

“Okay that is good enough if I want to get cleaner I’ll have to wash off inside.”

Maxwell gave a nod and halted the jet of water. “So would you like to dry you off?”

“Yeah but don’t cover me with suit again.”

“Don’t worry I won’t.” Maxwell started to reach for his other sword but quickly changed his mind. Instead he chose to cast the spell relying entirely on his own ability to control the energies.

Annette let out a sigh as the wind rushed over her. The spell was a simple fusion of wind and fire magic which generated super heated air. With that thought she glanced down at her feet and was quite amusing to seen that the grass around her had actually been burned away. “Was that intentional?”

Maxwell wasn’t certain as to what Annette was talking about until he looked down at her feet. “Whoops that was not intentional.”

“Could you have actually held back with that water spell?”

“Yeah, but not enough to simply wash someone off I haven’t gained that level of control yet.”

Annette bent down and wrapped her massive fingers around Maxwell. “I suppose modifying a spell that was meant to kill someone so that it only washes a bit of dirt of is a rather difficult task.”

“Its like trying to cut an apple into neat slices with a sword at best and most of the time it feels like I am trying to use a battle axe.”

“Well then since you’re to exhausted to continue sparing how about we go and do something that is a little more relaxing?”

“Actually I have a favor to ask.”

“What is that?”

“I haven’t eaten since I arrived.”

“Whoops and you sparred with me nearly as soon as I got you back here.” Annette proceeded to offer hand to Maxwell so that he could climb on.

“Yeah and sparring with you didn’t do anything to help.”

“Well at least you didn’t blame your defeat on hunger.”

“Please. I am hardly that petty and anyway if I did you would just want to spar after I had eaten and rested.”

“Oh actually I want to spar you after you have eaten and rested anyway.”

Maxwell couldn’t help but chuckle. “Well you know it is going to take me a while to fully recover.”

“I know anyway lets get you some food.”

*************************************************************************

Annette smiled as she glanced down at Maxwell’s tiny form. He was currently setting atop her right thigh and it amused her to no end to see how much room he had of course this only made her even more eager to grow larger. “Isn’t that better then setting on the table?”

Maxwell had been having some difficulty eating while atop Annette’s leg not because of its curvature or the slight rippling of muscles he felt beneath her skin whenever she would move in the least. Actually they were problems however they were so eclipsed by a far greater issue and that was the fact that Annette seemed to have intentionally positioned him and her to make her charms as noticeable as possible.

The most obvious example of this was Maxwell found himself enjoying a rather decent amount of shade not unlike one would enjoy with an umbrella over their head. It was just in this case the umbrella happened to be Annette’s rather impressive endowments which currently obscured his view of her face. “It is wonderful Annette.”

Annette gave a slight giggle causing Maxwell to be shaken lightly. In truth her thigh had been her second choice for him to set on after she had decided that her first choice might be going a little too far. “So how about after you finished eating you experiment with the metal some? I believe that I have proven how durable my body is.”

“Sorry Annette but I still believe it is too risky especially to have you serving as safety equipment.”

Annette let out a sigh and tilted her head back. “You can be difficult you know. I swear instead of worrying about me less you seem to become more concerned as I grow larger.”

“Only in regards to things I don’t understand and my concern isn’t due to your size.”

“I know but still you know my body is far from delicate.”

“Yes but you don’t know how the metal might behave my spells are hardly the same as a dragons innate abilities.”

“Okay I can’t force you to experiment with the metal anyway. I am sure the Luvarians will have plenty to report whenever I go speak with them.”

“When is that going to be?”

“I don’t really know I was just told they would get back to me once they were done with the experiments.” Annette lowered her hand so that it was level with Maxwell.

“Huh?” At first Maxwell was unsure what Annette wanted until he noticed that her finger seemed to be pointed towards the watermelon slice that he had finished. He then deposited atop Annette’s finger.

“So how far do you believe I can flick it?”

“Honestly I don’t believe you can send it more then thirty yards.”

“Huh that is a pretty lousy guess.”

“Try it and see.”

“Come on you know that I am more then strong enough to send it more then thirty yards try to guess closer.”

“I am sticking with less then thirty yards.”

Shrugging Annette lifted the watermelon slice so that it was eye level and gave it a flick from her finger. The moment her fingernail came in contact with the watermelon Annette realized why Maxwell had said she couldn’t flick it more then thirty yards as a spray of red burst off her finger.

Maxwell gave a slight chuckle as he heard an annoyed sigh from Annette. “You should have thrown in instead of flicking it.”

“You could have mentioned that before hand.”

“You’re quite remarkable you know what? At times you seem perfectly aware of your size and the complications its causes but other times you seem to totally forget.”

“Well generally when I flick something with all my strength I mean to cause damage or nock it far away. I guess I didn’t stop to consider how well it could hold up.” The sound of someone approaching caused Annette to turn her head in the direction of her home.

“Well perhaps some of the watermelon bits reached that far. Is someone coming?”

“It sounds like they are but they still have a few minutes of walking to do.”

Maxwell started to stand up to see what Annette was looking at when her massive hand reached down and pressed him back down. Apparently she didn’t like the idea of him moving from his current spot though as he glanced up towards her face he had to wonder if she had done it intentionally or if it had been an instinctive reaction he couldn’t really tell since he could see her face. He resolved not to bother mentioning it. “So when do you plan to have the expansion to your home added on?”

Annette returned her attention to Maxwell and lifted her hand from his body. “I was thinking about having it started the next time I go on a journey.”

“It would give you something to work on when you get back.”

Annette gave a slight giggle. “Yeah I suppose there is no way they would be finished by the time I returned and I do like sculpting.” She didn’t bother saying anything but Annette resolved to start organizing once Maxwell had left while he was with her though she wanted to spend her time with him. “Are you finished eating?”

“Yeah I believe I might have over eaten actually.”

Annette glanced over the side of her breast at the plates that were still on her leg. “But you haven’t finished everything.”

“Annette it would take me a day to finish all of this.”

Annette gave a slight giggle and reached down. She couldn’t see what Maxwell had and hadn’t finished however she could sense it. “I guess I’ll just finish it for you.” Gathering up the fruits and meat that Maxwell hadn’t finished Annette made certain to get it all in one trip before lifting it to her mouth and eating it in one bite.

“You like doing that don’t you?”

“What eating? It is alright though I look forward to when I don’t need to eat anymore and can just do it for fun.”

“Well while eating may apply I meant you really enjoy flaunting your size ah but I have already said that once today when you stepped over my gate. Perhaps I should have a larger gate put in.”

“Oh goody then I could outgrow it.”

Maxwell gave a slight laugh himself. “You would like that. How big of a gate should I have put in so that you can step over it later?”

“Mm that is a tough decision to make I suppose oh lets say a modest gate that is ten meters higher.”

“Which is just about your height right now I believe someone is imagining the day whenever she could look down at her old self?”

“It is a really fun thought and they are plenty of other things that I look forward to being able to do.”

“Why don’t you tell me about a few of them?”

“Oh you know I have told you about them before.”

“Yes but I have noticed that every time you grow larger they become even greater and I want to hear them again even the old ones.”

Annette reached down and began to gather up the plates in her hand after putting them in a neat stack she set them at arms length away from herself. Reaching down she encircle Maxwell with both of her hands even though one of them was more then sufficient to cover the majority of his body and easily lift him. She kept her hands folded around him as she lifted him from her lap and held him a lot in front of her face her fingers spreading out to surround him. “Well for one thing I look forward to the day whenever you can stand in the palm of the hand and be encircled by my fingers like you are now.”

“You can hold me in your hand now.”

“Yeah but you can’t really stand in my hand. I mean you can stand on it but it is such a small platform I don’t feel like you are really there.”

“I can’t say that I really follow your mean.”

“Oh.” Annette grew silent for a moment as she tried to consider just how to phrase what she was feeling. “You can’t move around and I feel like you could just hop off at any moment. I want to be able to feel you standing in the center of my hand and been able to wrap my fingers around you to conceal you entirely.”

“I see. Well that day may come you haven’t shown any signs of stopping your growth.”

“Mistress?”

Annette turned her head in the direction of the servant that had just exited her home. “Yes what is it?”

“A messenger has arrived they need to speak with Master Maxwell.” A jolt of fear ran through the servants body as he noticed Annette’s expression change apparently she didn’t like the news that he had brought.

“What did they say they wanted?”

“I don’t know Mistress they just requested Master Maxwell.”

“Well then go find out.”

The servant started to protest to inform Annette that it was one of Maxwell’s men and a messenger from one of the local lords was with him but as he looked into his Mistress eyes the only words he could utter were “yes mistress.”

Maxwell didn’t bother commenting on the conversation. He was curious what the message was clearly more so then what Annette was but he could tell she didn’t feel like hearing about it. “So what else do you look forward to being able to do?”

Annette’s featured softened once again and she turned her attention back to Maxwell. “Well it would be nice to be able to simply step over a ten meter wall but I already mentioned that one to you. Okay give me a moment to think that distraction got me somewhat side tracked.”

“If you get too large people will start wanting you to fight entire kingdoms for them.”

“Now I would have to charge quite a bit in order to justify taking a job that big still it would be so much fun. The only thing that has me concerned is what could I do for housing?”

“I have a few ideas. I know the last time I asked there was no indicator to how large you were going to get. Has the guild managed to provide you with any additional information?”

“Nothing as far as how large I am going to grow. Actually every time I go to speak with them they mostly gripe at me.”

“You really should work on the training they recommend you’re not using your full abilities after all.”

“What makes you so sure that they are complaining about a lack of practice on my part?”

“That is the only thing I ever heard to them complain to you over well that and reminding you not to bump your head.”

A long sigh escaped Annette. “I just couldn’t get use to the main hall being too small to let me stand up.”

“And now you are going to have trouble with the storage entrance as well.”

“I bumped my head on one of the balconies.”

Maxwell blinked a few times. Annette’s statement had been so plain and unexpected that it had caught him off guard a few moments later he found himself shaking with laughter despite his efforts to remain composed. “Now how did you manage that?”

Annette pouted for a moment before responding. “You know it isn’t that amusing.”

“Yeah I know. I am sorry it was just so unexpected.”

“I had gone by the guild hall to check up on a few things and get myself checked out when I was told that one of the mages on second floor wanted to speak to me. The tower he was in didn’t have an entrance large enough for me to fit in even before I reached that size so I went around the side to peak in through one of the windows. I had been using it for a while though it had required me to look up to it for a long time.

Well I had never had to take note that there was a low balcony above that window. When I moved to look in I ended up bumping my head against the balcony.”

“Did it hurt?”

“No which caused me to nearly destroying the balcony.”

“I bet you got a bid of a rush at the realization despite the property damage.”

“I always do.”

“Which is more fun for you finding out that you have grown even taller or finding that something that once harmed you no longer can?

“In all honesty I believe it is finding out that a weapon that would have once torn me apart isn’t powerful enough any longer.”

“Mistress?”

Annette turned her head in the direction of the shaky voice. “Yes?”

“Master Maxwell has a message from Duke James.”

Maxwell felt her face growing hot as she realized what the news meant. “I see and is it urgent.”

“The messenger from Duke James seems quite insistent that it is.”

Maxwell had kept quite during the first time the servant had come by but now he couldn’t help himself. “Damn it. I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with him for a while after the last meeting.”

Annette couldn’t help but groan. “You can’t afford to ignore this message.”

“The bastard probably just has some trivial matter that he wants to call me away for. To show that he is still more influential then I am.”

Annette lowered Maxwell down to the walkway as she did so an old objective flashed into her mind though it was one that she had never gave voice to. As Maxwell started to walk away Annette stood up.

“Are you going to be going to the front with me?”

“Yes but don’t ask me to carry you other wise the trip will be too quick. We can talk while you walk.”

“That is fine anyway the view is pretty nice from down here.”

“I am glad you like it since especially if you weren’t paying attention to where I took you.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Oh we are on the furthest side of my home from the main entrance.”

“Then it is a good thing that I don’t mind walking and yeah it is worth it to enjoy the view. How did you servant make it so back so quickly though.”

Annette let out a sigh. “He ran. You know maybe I should inform them that if they are delivering bad news they shouldn’t run or use the delivery system.”

“What delivery system?”

“Yeah you know like a messenger. They run and give the information to one servant who runs and gives it to the next.”

“When did you start doing this?”

“I started when I grew to five meters tall and got tired of waiting for such a long time to hear anything. Why do you think there is a servant stationed almost everywhere throughout my home?”

“I see your point.” As Maxwell continued to walk he began dwelling on the fact that Annette actually had a messenger service in her home before too long he found himself chuckling at the thought. “You really are a giantess Annette.”

“I am glad that you noticed.”

“Seriously I suppose it doesn’t always register with me how big you have grown until you mention some little detail like the messenger service you use in your home.” Maxwell stopped for a moment as he noticed the servant that had delivered the message. “Is that his station?”

“Yes it is.”

Maxwell started to respond when a sudden shockwave ran throughout the floor and nearly caused him to fall over as the sound of the impact seemed to vibrate throughout his entire body. “Huh what was that?”

Annette glanced down at Maxwell a somewhat sheepish smile on her face. “Whoops.”

“Huh?” Maxwell’s question was answered when he looked towards Annette’s foot and found that he saw part of her leg where her foot should have been.

“I suppose I am more upset then I realized.”

“What are you upset about? I mean you were fine until the message. Oh I see. Annette I don’t like having to leave.”

“I know you don’t but I just despise it. I mean the better part of your journey was handling such meetings. I would think that considering the distance everyone has to travel that they would resolve any issues before letting you leave.”

“Yeah I thought everything was resolved as well.”

“I swear once I get strong enough I am going to show them how much I dislike it when they.” Annette didn’t complete the sentence but took a moment to free her leg tearing up more of the flooring as she yanked her foot back through.

Maxwell didn’t bother asking Annette what she had been going to say he had a pretty good idea what it was. Unlike him most of the local leaders didn’t care for Annette’s presence or to be more exact they didn’t like that she seemed to be siding so completely with him especially considering her constantly increasing scale. He wasn’t about to tell Annette that one of the reasons he had to endure so many meetings was because of her having a home in his lands and the fear that caused.

In truth the reason he hadn’t been willing to tell Annette what they had been discussing at the conferences he attended wasn’t so much that they were boring but rather they focused a great deal on her and what he knew about her. “It’s good that you were already having some renovations planned.”

“That is true. Though I didn’t intend on having my floors redone I just stomped a little too hard is all.”

“Believe me when I say that I felt it.”

Annette got a playful grin on her face and gave the floor a quick tap with her foot trying to insure that it was forceful enough for Maxwell to fill the affects but not so forceful that it knocked another hole in the ground. “I suppose such little disturbances affect you tinies more then I realize.”

Maxwell felt his legs shake for a moment but was able to hold is ground fairly easily. “Well you are rather hefty.”

Annette gave an amused giggle and began to walk down the hall once again. “That I am.”

It was fairly easy to keep pace with Annette considering that she was walking at an abnormally slow rate to let Maxwell keep up easily. “Hopefully this message won’t take me away from home so that I can come back and visit you later.”

“Later wouldn’t you be able to come back tomorrow.”

“I have some things that I need to get done before I can really relax. The meetings did bring about some changes and the surrounding leaders want some information from me.”

“When I get large enough I am going to have to offer you a discount when it comes to crushing an entire army maybe even one hundred percent off.”

Maxwell chose not to respond to Annette’s offer and indeed he forced himself not to think on the subject too much or let the concept. “You already give me a rather nice rate when I do need to higher you.”

“Yeah but you know I just realized you haven’t offered me a job for quite some time. Haven’t you had to deal with any trouble makers in a while and needed something done? You know I am fairly good with stone work I don’t just have to destroy things.”

“Well I am going to have to have my home expanded soon to continue accommodating you so I don’t know if I can fit it into the budget.”

“Hey I said I was good at building things.”

“Of course I don’t know who I am going to actually higher for the job. Can you think of anyone?”

“I know of a few stone workers that do pretty good work.”

Maxwell gave a slight chuckle. “Okay enough games. So how much are you going to charge me?”

“Well given that I don’t really need the money if you’ll just provide the materials and higher the help I’ll work for free since it is for my benefit. Oh and you have to provide refreshments.”

“Now what did I do to deserve such treatment?”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“You’re trying to bankrupt me.”

Annette couldn’t help but giggle. “Now how do you get that?”

“You want to eat up the treasury.” Maxwell couldn’t help but chuckle when he looked up and saw the expression on Annette’s face.

“You know that I am not that bad.”

“Yeah I’ll look into having some blue prints drawn up and see what adaptations the existing structure can take and what had to be modified. My home wasn’t designed with such expansions in mind after all.”

“I’ll look forward to having an excuse to hang around your home more other then just visiting. Hey while you work on paper work I can work on construction.”

“That sounds like a plan.”

“Here we are.”

Maxwell came to a stop as he noted the entrance and three men standing near it. He recognized as one being one of his employees and the other seemed to be Annette’s while the third was most likely the messenger. “I take it that you are the messenger from Duke James.”

The man upon being addressed stood as if to move towards Maxwell but made no such movements as his gaze traveled up to Annette’s face. “Yes Duke James sent me with a message for you and he wants a prompt reply.”

“So I have a time in which I can respond?”

“Yes.”

Maxwell felt his temper flair for a moment though unlike Annette he was used to having to suppress such feelings so the only way one could have noticed would be if they could see more then body language or facial expressions.

Annette knew the Duke’s message had upset Maxwell though he didn’t say it however she knew that the fact that he only had so much time to respond infuriated him. It wasn’t so much his body language as she could tell by the shift in his aura when tempers ran high the strength of the flame magic he learned grew strong and made it more noticeable.

Maxwell knew that he shouldn’t ask he knew that he shouldn’t push the issue but he couldn’t help himself. “Did Duke James say what would happen if I didn’t respond in time?”

“He would be forced to act.”

“Fine let me have the message.”

The messenger nodded quickly and handed Maxwell a sealed document. “Well then I shall be on my way to let Duke James the message had been delivered.”

Maxwell nodded his head and proceeded to open the document. It only took a few moments of reading for him to turn to Annette. “I have to be going.”

“You’ve never really had it easy with the surrounding rulers have you? Didn’t your father basically take this land?”

“In part yeah and it left quite a few angry. It’s been hard to hold onto what he gained.”

“And letting me move in didn’t help anything.”

Maxwell gave a slight chuckle. There was no way he was going to lye to Annette about it. “They behave like I gave a dragon sanctuary in my lands under the agreement it would only ravage theirs.”

“And each time the dragon grows larger they find an even bigger reason to be alarmed.”

“If it means having you around the trouble is worth it.”

Annette grinned and proceeded to wrap her fingers around Maxwell and lift him into the air. “I am going to carry you home. You said you needed to hurry and you didn’t exactly ride a horse here.”

*************************************************************************

Annette lay just outside her home looking up at the sky. She had carried Maxwell home and they had continued their conversation along the way. While talking she had attempted to bring up the subject of what trouble her presence caused him several times but each time he would divert the conversation or simply go silent when she tried to push the issue.

She had confidence in Maxwell in his intelligence and for him to be honest with her. It was obvious that not responding would make her very concerned which made her wonder. Just what was so important that not mentioning it would be sparing her despite the anxiety it would cause her regardless?

The moment she had got home she had taken up her current position and began to consider the options. Of course she heard the part about the Duke acting on his decision automatically if Maxwell didn’t respond quickly enough. Were they going to try to use military force and force Maxwell to remove her from his lands? That seemed like it would be a bit extreme as far as Annette was concerned but she wouldn’t put it past James to push for it.

What would she do if they tried to force her to leave? She could always go to the guild for help and she knew that Maxwell wouldn’t force her to leave. Then again she could always fight back. Annette fingers dug into the concrete of her home. She was going to make James pay for the frustration she had been forced to endure she just had to gain enough power to do so.

She could fight back now but she was fairly certain that she would be overwhelmed eventually. Then again at the rate at which she was increasing in size and ability Annette’s eyes widen and she gave her head a quick smack.

Setting up Annette glanced towards her side for a moment in the direction she knew one of the guild branches was in. “Fine you’re right. I am just glad none of you are here to hear me admit it.”

Annette was often being pestered by her guild to try and develop her other senses and abilities but she had always refrained from it feeling that she worked hard enough and was powerful enough that she didn’t really need to work harder. Now that she found herself having to worry about causing Maxwell even more trouble she had to admit to herself that she really needed the extra power that refining her abilities would give her.

At last Annette stood up entirely however when she started to walk in the direction of the guild she found that she couldn’t bring herself to do so. It was rather childish on her part but she really didn’t want to go to the guild and admit that they were right and ask for an instructor to help teach her.

“Now don’t be this way Annette. You have gone to them for help before and they didn’t say anything about it. Then again this is the only thing you have really given them a hard time about.”

*************************************************************************

“If Maxwell should try to get in touch with me tell him I went to the nearest Luvarian strong hold. He already knows where it is.”

“Yes Mistress. Do you plan on being gone long?”

“I hope not but it really depends.” Annette busied herself preparing a few items for her journey. It wasn’t more then a few hours walk if she took a direct rout to the guild hall but she didn’t know how long she would have to stay there.

“You seem to be leaving rather soon Mistress. Normally you stay home for at least a month after coming back from such a lengthy journey.”

“Yeah well it isn’t that I wouldn’t just love to but I really don’t have a choice in the matter.”

“Has this something to do with the message that was delivered yesterday?”

“Yeah it does but to be honest with you I have needed to do this for a while. Anyway everything should be in order.”

“Don’t you want to at least stay the night here and leave in the morning?”

“No. This way I’ll arrive just whenever everyone is active so I won’t have to wake anyone up.”

“Very well Mistress.”

Annette let out a slight sigh and zipped up her carrying bag she then picked up the broken pieces of her sword. “Blast it. I just remember Maxwell was going to try to enchant this for me. I suppose I might as well have it done at the guild while I am there. Then again hopefully after this visit I won’t have any need of it.” Shrugging Annette set the remains down. “I’ll just leave them here.”

“Be sure to return before you outgrow your home and have to sleep outside Mistress.”

“I’ll do my best.” Annette easily hefted her carrying bag over her shoulder. Inside of it she had the same carrying case she had used on her journey and once again it held maps and other items to help her find her way just incase she should find things had changed prospectively upon her return. “Speaking of outgrowing things try to keep a few outfits that will fit me at my predicted growth rate on hand.”

“I will be sure to inform everyone Mistress.”

*************************************************************************

“That damn James just wants a reason to attack me. The only reason he hasn’t already done it is because he doesn’t know if he could win” Was the dominant though in Maxwell’s head as he found himself once again leaving his home He hadn’t allowed Annette to see the content of the letter which he had received but now took some time to read it once again though he skipped the false greetings and well wishing.

“It has come to my attention that Miss Annette whom you have allowed to take up residence in your land has returned from her journey and while one person would rarely warrant a discussion she is not a normal person.

Our main concern is that by allowing such a creature in your land you are building up your own military forces to make a move on our lands and indeed the entire kingdom. At first we did not have such concerns as we were not aware that she would become quite so large but upon her return I have heard rumors that she has grown quite a bit larger and now I fear that the threat she posses must be addressed.

Even if you should not have any plans for her she is still a considerable threat to the kingdom’s safety.”

Maxwell had to stop himself from reading as he once again felt himself becoming irritable. The point of the entire letter was quite simple after all. James hadn’t just sent a letter to him but he had sent one to all the surrounding leaders upon learning that Annette had grown even larger.

Now he had to prove that he had by no means secretly recruited her. A task which would be rather difficult since Maxwell felt confident they had already decided he was guilty. There was also the fact that he had indeed higher Annette several times in the past when she was much smaller though those contracts had worn out long ago.

He also had to assure them that Annette posed no serious threat. If he didn’t show up at the meeting and make his case they would mostly likely decide that he wasn’t coming and the allegations were entirely true. At which time they would try to remove Annette by force and if he didn’t aid in the effort they would remove him as well. Of course remove was being polite he knew they wouldn’t piss someone as dangerous as Annette off and simply exile her. If they were to ever get the chance they would most assuredly kill her to make sure she never got the chance to repay them.

Of course Maxwell knew how powerful Annette was or he had a good idea considering their sparring session. He didn’t believe that she was strong enough to take on an entire army at least not at the moment she was getting stronger though and perhaps that day would come. Then again the fear that day would come was the reason he was currently having to plead his case for allowing Annette to remain.

*************************************************************************

Annette let out a sigh as she stopped in front of the massive guild hall. At first glance no guards could be seen however upon closer inspection of the statues that surrounded the outside of the building one would find that the structure actually had many guards in the form of golems. Turning her head Annette glanced towards one of the far towers and gave a slight giggle as she noted the balcony she had once bumped her head against.

Instead of entering right away Annette resolved to walk around and examine the surroundings. She knew that they probably hadn’t changed since she dropped of the metal for study but she liked to do so and no one would mind. Those inside were already aware of her presence or at least she felt quite certain they were and since she was a guild member she could roam the grounds as she pleased.

The first spot she resolved to stop by was the testing ground. Walking around the main structure herself she soon came to a massive side entrance. This position was arguably a weak point in the hall’s defenses however that assumption only lasted until someone learned why it had been put there. The opening itself was still large enough for Annette to walk through.

Slipping through the massive opening Annette found herself on a large flat plain. Several bits of broken metal, clay and other material littered the ground. Stepping out into the testing ground Annette walked over to one of the larger chunks of metal and picked it up.

“The new model didn’t work out quite like we expected.”

Annette didn’t bother looking in the direction of the voice as she recognized it. “What were you experimenting with?”

“It was just a heavier type composite golem however we found there was a grave flaw in its design.”

“Which was?”

“While the golem’s armor was strong well you can test the strength of the armor yourself try to bind the piece you are holding.”

Annette gave a nod and placed a thumb on either side of the bit of metal she then proceeded to bind the material inward. “I see what you mean. So what was the complication?”

“The metal didn’t respond well with the energy used to power the golem which weakened its power output. The darn thing couldn’t even move.”

“So you just let it be beat to bits? I figured you would have stopped and tried taking it apart.”

“The test was between two separate types of composite golem.”

“Oh so how did the second one work out?”

There was a slight chuckle. “Clearly the victor of the two but we haven’t fully tested it either.”

Annette finally turned around to look at the man she had been speaking to. The mage that currently stood some distance away was in a word orderly. Everything about the figure seemed to speak of precise planning and near perfect symmetry. “Wow you laughed. I don’t hear that often.”

“Well Jahnah introduced quite a bit of chaos to my system only a short while ago so you’ll find I am more emotional then normal right now. It is good to see you.”

“It’s nice to you as well Dehvess.”

“You didn’t come here just to talk.”

“And what makes you so sure that I didn’t?”

“One reason I am certain if you’re carrying a bag, the seconds reason is you only visited a few days ago to deliver the metal you recovered and the third reason is after any journey of reasonable length you spend considerable time with Maxwell. So for these three reasons it is clear that your not here just to talk.”

“Yeah I couldn’t really spend much time with Maxwell since he left. I came here since I need help with something.”

“You need help with helping Maxwell with whatever problem has arisen you fear something that isn’t to your liking may be coming.”

“Am I really that transparent?”

Dehvess’s expression didn’t change as he glanced up at Annette. “I don’t believe so.”

“Well your assumptions have been right on.”

“That comes from knowing you. So what brings you here?”

“I was hoping that I could get some lessons?”

“What do you want lessons in?”

“Oh sure you figure out why I am here but now that I tell you I want lessons you can’t figure out what it is in?”

Dehvess grew silent for a few moments though his facial expression didn’t change in the least it was fairly obvious that he was considering Annette’s question. “There are a number of things you could have us teach you however it seems most likely that you have come to learn about yourself.”

“I swear your order magic specialist can be so strange but then again so are the chaos specialists.”

“Does this mean that you’re ready to start developing your additional abilities or do you want to refines those you have been relying on?”

“I want to work on my more specialized talents such as how to locate life energies.”

“Is there anything else you would like to practice?”

“Do I need to make a list?”

“That would be helpful it would allow me to make a training plan to get the most out of your time.”

Annette couldn’t help but blink her eyes a few times. She had forgotten how structured Dehvess could be. “Is that chaos energy Jahnah put in you already wearing off?”

“The moment Jahnah introduces any such energies to my system or I introduce order to hers it begins to degrade.”

“I mean has it already seriously degraded?”

“No. For the most part the energies she put me are the same as before she left. Is something the matter?”

“She didn’t put much into you did she?”

“No.” Dehvess didn’t bother trying to figure out why Annette was asking him these questions about his mental state. The thoughts didn’t even begin to cross the order mage’s mind as in his current state he didn’t have the imagination to consider them.

“Okay. I want to work on my ability to sense life force as I already said but I also want try to refine my ability to resist magic.”

“And by sense life force would you like to practice identification of the energy or just where it is?”

“I would like to work on identification and location.”

“Okay. Now for the resistance to magic is there a particular type of magic you want to learn to resist more effectively or do you want to work on it as a whole?”

“I need to refine my resistance as a whole.”

“So you want to work on developing your ability to locate life force and recognize familiar energy patterns you also want to further develop your resistance to magic and these are the only things you want to work on. Is that correct?”

Annette knew that Dehvess was just making sure that he had the information down correctly. It was a habit he had developed while studying order magic. In order to avoid communication he always asked follow up questions to insure that he had not miss heard anyone. It tended to make conversations longer then they needed to be and could grow tiresome but it did help him with his job. “Yeah that is right.”

“Do you want to begin as soon as possible?”

“Yes I would like to start as soon as possible.”

“How much are you looking to improve your life force detection and magic resistance?”

“As much as I can before Maxwell returns.”

“Does that mean you don’t have a set amount but would like to be taught intensively?”

“Yes.” As the questioning continued Annette braced herself. She knew that Dehvess wouldn’t be willing to assume anything with the limited amount of chaos within his system he simply didn’t have the mind set to do so at the moment.

End chapter 2