- Text Size +
"My Little Girlfriend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 3: New girl in town

I leaned back and let out a great sigh, staring up at the ceiling. The temperature in the room had been just right. Not warm enough to require any kind of blanket, but also not overly warm or cool.

It was also dark and silent. I couldn't see much more than a single strand of light peaking through the closed blinds on the window, as well as vague silhouttes of everything in the room. I roll over and sigh. If it was so nice in the room, why was I having so much trouble sleeping?

"Hey Bobby" Jen said, startling me a bit. I didn't know she was still awake. I turn around and look at her, splayed out in her bed as her eyes met my tiny body on the dresser beside her, "you're not mad, are you?"

"Me? No..." I replied, "why do you ask?"

"Well you've been kinda quiet since I met up with Jack again..." Jen said, "you barely said anything on the ride home"

"Oh" I said, not really sure on how to respond to her. Something about Jack had put me off. I didn't know him personally, but instead was probably just ticked off that he had interuppted my time with Jen.

"You're not upset, though?" she asked, keeping her voice down so she wouldn't wake her parents.

"No, I'm fine" I chuckled.

"You sure?" she asked again, "because I know you're not always the most...open with your emotions"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"Well, I mean, it's always obvious when something is bothering you... but you don't always show it..." Jen explained, "that's all"

"I figure why bother..." I sighed, "Revealing my angst to the rest of the world isn't going to accomplish anything"

"But I'm your girlfriend, Bobby..." Jen said, "you can tell me anything"

"I know" I said, giving her a half smile. "And I would tell you if something was bothering me, but nothing is right now"

"Okay, well... you wanna do something tomorrow then? Just the 2 of us?" Jen asked.

"Id like that... oh but first, I have an anthropology test in the morning" I said, relieved to have my mind off Jack for a moment.

"Oh I see..." Jen said, "Well then I guess you'll want to be bigger for that..."

I chuckled.

"Yeah, that'd be good" I replied.

"Well after the test, why don't we go to Burger King?" Jen asked.

"That'd be great" I replied, and suddenly I no longer felt tired at all, although I also no longer felt anxious, which was nice.

"Good" Jen smiled and settled back into bed. I leaned back and closed my eyes repeatedly before finally getting comfortable.

"Goodnight, Jen" I muttered, as everything went black.


It's hard to tell how one's going to feel in the morning... it's almost a complete toss up. For some odd reason, even though waking up is a fairly common occurance in one's everyday life, it almost comes as a surprise when hours of sleep are suddenly shifted to hours of consciousness. Sometimes, I'm able to confront that surprise head on... but other days...


"Bobby, c'mon, we gotta go..." I heard Jen's voice. I could hear her and sensed that she was right next to me, but I still couldn't bring myself out of my laying position.

"5 more minutes..." I sighed, too infatuated with my obsession with sleep to be forced into another day at the moment.

"Bobby, I've already let you sleep another half hour... I've showered, gotten ready... you've just been laying here" Jen sighed.

"Okay okay" I sighed, not wanting to dissapoint her or anyone else any further. I slowly got myself into a standing position and Jen offered her hand at the edge of her dresser. I settled into her palm and she carefully transitioned me into her pants pocket so I was snug and secure.

"Besides," Jen added, heading out the door after giving her parents a quick wave, "We have to get there a little earlier than your class because we have to switch sizes again"

"Right" I said, still shaking off several yawns, "so what time is it?"

"About 8:30" Jen answered, opening the door to her car. Her parents had gotten her a 5 year old Chrysler Sebring. It was dark blue on the outside and pretty nice on the inside as well. Jen set me down in her cup holder and started the car.

"Okay, well we have time" I answered, "you only live 10 minutes from Avery Point, I live like a half hour away"

"I know" Jen said, "but if I hadn't gotten you up then, who knows how long you might've been glued to my dresser?"

"True" I laughed.

Jen pulled into Avery Point on what had been a bright sunny day. As she removes me from her car, I notice streaks of light complimenting the paint of her car's exterior.

She places me back into her pocket, and I cling onto the edges of it, so I can have a view of what's going on as she walks. It's almost like riding a train, watching everything move around me, yet I'm actually sitting still, and every step produces a small vibration around me.

Unfortunately, before we can get to the hideout (the usual site of our size changing endeavors), we run into Sarah, who had apparently been waiting for us.

"Hey Jen" Sarah said, and then added, "isn't today Tuesday?"

"Yeah... why?" Jen asked.

"Well isn't that Bobby's day to be normal sized?" Sarah asked.

"It is..." Jen answered, seeming to be put off by Sarah's sudden curiousity. Our whole "arrangement" had fascinated her for some time. "... we were just about to make the switch"

"Oh" Sarah said, and for a couple moments, she trailed behind Jen, making me think she was about to leave us alone, but she suddenly accelerated again and appeared again, right beside Jen with an excited look on her face, "can I watch?"

"I... suppose..." Jen said, giving her an uncomfortable smile back. "Just be quiet, we're not supposed to be up here"

I sighed and rolled my eyes, having ducked down into Jen's pocket so I wouldn't be harrassed by Sarah.

Jen walked up the stairs to the final floor, where we'd make our eventual switch with Sarah giddy with excitement.

"Okay, let's do this" Jen said, glancing at her watch. "We haven't got much time"

"Oh, that's right..." Sarah chimed in, "Bobby's got class soon... well I suppose he COULD stay like that, assuming someone has a really tiny #2 pencil"

"That's enough" I sighed with disdain as Jen removed me from her pocket and set me down. It's a good thing too, because I've always been afraid of heights.

"Ok, Bobby, you ready...?" Jen asked, standing back and closing her eyes, trying to get focused.

"Yeah..." I sighed, but for some reason neither of us could keep our eyes closed or focus, because Sarah had been staring at us both with her eyes widened with anticipation. I couldn't help but flick my eyes open again, "yes, Sarah?"

"Oh, I'm just so excited" she exclaimed, "This is so neat... Jen's gonna shrink... and wow... it's just so cool"

"Right..." I said sarcastically.

"Sarah, look" Jen said, "We need total concentration for this..."

"Got it, got it" Sarah said enthusiastically and stood back, wanting to do anything she could to help the process.

"Okay, ready?" Jen asked again. I nodded.

We both closed our eyes and thought really hard.

"So, why isn't anyone shrinking?" Sarah asked, once again breaking our thought process.

"Sarah!!" Jen sighed.

"Okay okay... go" Sarah sighed.

I closed my eyes and thought hard. I always found it harder to wish myself back to normal size, because it meant shrinking Jen. Even though I knew the size changes would only be temporary, I still felt uneasy wishing for that to happen to my girlfriend.

Still, I break the barrier and eventually find myself springing back to normal size.

I give Jen a quick embrace, (unwilling to go through with my normal make out session with Sarah right there) before she starts to reduce in size, inciting an elated reaction from Sarah, who lets out a near silent squeal, watching Jen shrink down to "fairy" size (which is what we called it, due to our previous adventures).

"What's the big deal, Sarah?" Jen sighed, looking way up at the girl who had just been her height a few moments ago, "you've seen me small before"

"I know, but it was just so cool... watching you get little" Sarah said. Jen and I exchanged confused looks.

"Ok, so..." I started, picking up Jen and cradling her in my hand. I was about to place her in my pocket when Sarah stopped me.

"Hey, could I hold onto her?" she asked.

"What?"

"Well, you're taking a boring ol test anyway..." Sarah said, "why don't you give Jen to me? We could walk around a little, hang out together..."

I sighed.

"It's okay, really" Jen said, looking up at me with an approving nod and smile, "Sarah will be gentle with me"

"Okay" I said, and put my hand near Sarah's, so that Jen could easily climb over. "Just don't let ANYTHING happen to her"

"I know I know" Sarah sighed, "you need to have more faith in me, Bobby"

"Yeah..." I muttered, and without saying much more, I departed the hideout, en route to my class and test. I just wasn't in the mood for Sarah's attitude when it came to small people.

I also wasn't in the mood for this test I had barely studied for, which was the exact line of thought that ran through my mind as I sat down and got settled in. I didn't have test anxiety like some people, I just wasn't looking forward to the 40 minutes of intense concentration I'd have to put into acing this test. Plus, concentration was never my strong point, especially when I had so much going on, between Jen, and now Jack, and Sarah and...

"Hey, do you have a pencil?"

"Huh?" I said, feeling kind of embarassed for drifting off as some girl was asking me a question.

"A pencil..." she repeated, a kind of wavering nervousness growing in her tone, "I didn't know we could only use pencil on this..."

I had never seen this girl before, and I was usually good about remember faces. She sat right in front of me and I definitely would've remembered her because her hair was a sort of vibrant orange with blonde streaks. Her face looked tired and drawn, perhaps from lack of sleep, but if it weren't for that fact, she'd be pretty decent looking.

"Oh sorry, by the way..." she said, "My name's Ashley, I'm new here"

"Bobby" I said, giving her a nod of acknowledgement as I handed her a spare pencil that I luckily had on my person.

"Oh thanks" she chuckled, looking kind of embarassed. Luckily, I understood the concept of embarassment all too well, so I had no intention to make her feel nervous.
"I know, I'm kind of a dork"

"Oh no, you're fine" I said.

"Heh... thanks... but really..." she said, her voice returning to her original state of nerves, "...I'm kind of a clutz sometimes... overslept this morning, my hair's kind of a mess, and ugh... I'm sorry, you don't really want to hear about this"

"No, really it's fine" I said, although my mind wasn't completely on what she was saying. She seemed nice, I was just more focused on the more immediate crisis of the test, plus I wondered what Sarah was doing with Jen. Although, for some reason she was actually careful with Jen and didn't treat her like some toy like she did with me.

"Hey, good luck" she added, as the class slowly ceased their conversation and our teacher walked into the room, all bogged down with test booklets and answer sheets.

"Uh yeah, you too" I said hastily, as I prepared to get into test mode. It didn't help that anthropology wasn't my best subject.

After 40 minutes of "fill in the bubble" or so, I took my leave. I always felt weird being one of the first ones to finish my test, so there'd be times when I'd sit for a while, appearing to be in deep thought, when really I was just drifting off. I'd do this so I could wait for other people to finish first, and then casually hand in my test a little while after. It's not that I didn't put effort into my studies, it was just hard sometimes, especially with everything that was going on.

"That was pretty tough, huh?" she asked.

"Huh?" I said, spinning around. Ashley must've finished her test at around the same time, for she walked beside me now in the hallway. "Oh yeah... I guess..."

"I guess neither of us are very..." she started, but then my phone rang, cutting us off.

"One second, I'm sorry..." I said, genuinely feeling bad for not being the most friendly to this girl. I pick up the phone and with a hint of annoyance in my voice say "yeah?"

"Hey silly, when were you gonna tell me you were going to burger king?" I heard the girl on the other line exclaim. It was Sarah.

"Uh..." I sighed, facing a situation where I had no idea what to say, so she continued speaking instead.

"Well Jen told me, and quite frankly, I'm insulted" Sarah said, but it was obvious that she wasn't by the tone she used, "so... I invited myself"

"What?" I sighed, feeling a large burden being placed on my shoulder. I glanced over and noticed Ashley in the corner of my eye, still intently following me.

"Yeah, in fact I'm on the way there now, and I'm guessing you finished your test since you picked up" Sarah answered.

Damn it. Shouldn't have picked up.

"Yeah...but..."

"Ok, so I'll see you there, get your butt on over" Sarah laughed and hung up.

I let out a great sigh. Ashley looked over at me.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." I sighed, "It's just that I thought I could spend some alone time with my girlfriend and..."

"Y-You have a girlfriend..." Ashley asked, in a strangely inquisitive voice.

"Yeah... and..."

"Oh, th-that's cool" Ashley said, beginning to ramble.

"Yeah... and we were gonna meet at Burger King but then..."

"Burger King? I LOVE Burger King!" Ashley exclaimed, "hey, is it okay if I come too?"

I looked at her with sort of a nervous smile, not knowing what to do. On one hand, my date with Jen was already kind of blown, but I felt weird bringing a mysterious girl along. Especially because we'd have to hide Jen from her which would ruin everything.

"...unless of course you don't want me to..." Ashley said, putting her head down and forcing a frown. She handed me my pencil back, "here's your pencil, by the way..."

"Heh, thanks..." I sighed and cringed as I spoke my next words, "You can come..."

"Really?" she asked, her eyes lighting up and any sign of dissapointment quickly fading. "Thanks so much"

"Yeah, no prob..." I sighed. I felt bad excluding anyone and she had made a good first impression on me, even if I had never seen her in my life.

We were walking to my car, when I suddenly stopped.

"Hey uh... could you hold on a second?" I said nervously, "I uh... have to go to the bathroom"

"Sure" she said, folding her arms as I ran off, with my phone clenched in my hand. I really didn't want to have to do this, but I kind of had no choice. I couldn't have Ashley finding out about my mini girlfriend.

"Hey Sarah?" I said, after the phone had rang many times.

"Yeah, what's up?" she asked, "why aren't you here yet?"

"We only spoke like 5 minutes ago..." I snapped, then quickly calmed down, realzing the nerves were getting me, "...Sarah, there's been a bit of a change of plans..."

"What do you mean?" Sarah asked.

"I uh... kind of ran into this girl..." I sighed.

"Who?" Sarah asked.

"Her name is Ashley, and uh... she wanted to come to Burger King and..." I sighed, not knowing how to tell this story in any way that would be even remotely acceptable.


"But what about Jen?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah... thats the problem..." I sighed, feeling really uncomfortable about this, "you're uh... gonna have to hide her in your pocket..."

"Oh..."

"And one more thing...Sarah... you're gonna have to pretend to be my girlfriend" I said.

"Huh? Why?" Sarah asked, although not sounding completely repulsed by the idea.

"Because I told Ashley I was meeting my girlfriend there... so someone has to be her..." I sighed.

"Ouch" Sarah said.

"I know!!" I exclaimed, "I'm sorry...I just..."

"Hey, I understand completely..." Sarah said, "just try explaining it to your real girlfriend"

I let out a sigh and Sarah hung up. I walked back outside and met Ashley who was still standing by my car.

"So, we ready to go?" she asked, in a much perkier voice than she had been using before. I nod and open the door for her.

"This is such a nice car" she says, in genuine awe as she gazed around at the parts of my car from the interior. I sit down in the driver's seat and get primed to go. I did enjoy my car.

"Okay... next stop, Burger King" I sighed, pulling out of the Avery Point parking lot.

"Are you sure you dont mind my going?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah, sure... it's no problem..." I sighed and then many moments of awkrard driving silence passed us by.

"So uh... you new around here?" I asked her.

"Yeah, just transferred recently from UCONN's other campus" she replied.

"Oh really? How was it?" I asked.

"Meh, not that great" she replied, "I like Avery Point much better"

"Oh definitely, me too..." I answered, taking a left turn now.

"So... what's your girlfriend's name?" Ashley asked, "if you don't mind my asking"

"Oh... her name's Jen" I said, adding a nervous chuckle.

"Pretty name" she said.

"Yep... yep it is" I said, taking a final turn onto the road of Burger King.

"Oh this is so exciting!" Ashley exclaimed, as we pulled up to the Burger King at last, "I haven't been here in forever"

"Well, we are here" I chuckled. Ashley hadn't done anything wrong, but for some reason I was still uneasy about bringing her along, and my awkrardness was about to get much worse.

Ashley and I approached the entrance where I already saw Sarah waiting, leaning up against a wall.

"Hi" Ashley said, shaking Sarah's hand.

"Hey, I'm..."

"Jen!" I exclaimed, "this is my girlfriend...Jen..."

I then glanced down and noticed the REAL Jen tucked away in Sarah's pocket. She glared up at me and turned away.

I was so screwed...