- Text Size +
"My Little Girlfriend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 5: Matter of trust

It was an overcast day at Avery Point, and Ashley and I were in the student center, playing some pool. I was sucking, as usual.

"Oh damn" I muttered, watching my pathetic shot roll to the rail and come to a dead stop. Ashley chuckled.

"Hey, sorry again about the other day..." Ashley said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, more focused on the game of pool for some reason.

"Well, I know you wanted to spend alone time with your girlfriend..." Ashley frowned, as she too, missed her shot, "and I kind of got in the way of that"

"No, you were fine..." I said, trying to make her not feel bad, even though she had gotten me in all kinds of trouble without even knowing it.

Just then, the door swings open and Jen appears, but she's normal size. I'm shocked to see her in that state and run over to kiss her, but am suddenly frozen.

"Wh-What's happening?" I gasp, my joints locking up as I can no longer move. I then begin to shrink again -- right in front of Ashley!!

"Whoa, what's happening?" Ashley gasped, watching as I shrink until I'm only 3 inches high. "Why Bobby... you're so small"

I gasp and nervously look around. I look up at Jen with a look of pure terror on my face and then back up at Ashley who's suddenly smiling evilly.

Jen looks down at me and shrugs.

"Why don't you just have your best friend Ashley help you out?" Jen said, and walked back out the door, leaving me alone.

"Jen, NO!!" I gasped and then turned around to witness Ashley raise her foot into the air, miles above me. "Ashley... what are you doing?"

"Well now that you're little, I can squish ya!" Ashley laughed and thrust her foot down hard onto the carpet.

"AHHHH!!"

"Bobby, what's the matter?" Jen said, quickly leaping out of bed and turning to me, shaking on her dresser. I panned up and saw her face looking down on me with concern in her eyes. I quickly sighed with relief.

"It was just a dream..." I gasped, and then gave Jen a smile to let her know I was okay, "...just a dream..."

"Bobby, you okay?" Jen asked again, now sitting up in her bed, putting her hand right behind me and gently rubbing my back.

"Yeah I'm fine..." I sighed, and tried to settle back into a sleeping position. Jen did the same.

"You didn't have a bad dream about Jack, did you?" Jen asked.

"Huh? No" I replied.

"You sure? Because you seem pretty worried about him for some reason" Jen said, smushing her face into her pillow.

"Yeah, it's fine" I said and sighed, looking up at the ceiling and waiting. Waiting for that sleepy feeling to grasp me again and drag me down with it.

The next morning seemed to take forever to come. I tossed and turned, jostled awake by strange nightmarish visions several times, it seemed. Finally, it was time to go to Avery Point and as much as I hated the feeling of first waking up, it was, at least a break from the nightmares I had been having. I seemed to have bad dreams more often when I was in my smaller state, but dreams had always been a powerful thing for me. My dreams seemed to feel particularly realistic.

Then again, my everyday life was anything but realistic these days.

Jen drove me to Avery Point, but the reality of my situation wasn't looking much better.

"I have to spend the day with Sarah?" I gasped, "but I was going to see Kim while you were... y'know, with Jack"

"I know, but that's later, Bobby" Jen replied, "and I have class this morning... unless you really want to come..."

"I don't know..." I sighed.

"Sarah is our friend, y'know" Jen said, "I know she seems a little crazy sometimes, but if you just talked to her, maybe she'd treat you better"

"I guess" I said.

Getting respect from Sarah had never been an issue in the past. We had been pretty good friends ever since we first got to Avery Point. Part of that was because we kind of showed each other the ropes and helped each other through things. I appreciated her sometimes quirky way of looking at things, and she in turn enjoyed my "down to earth" attitude about things. It was an arrangement that had worked without questioning for the most part, but now, with such an odd element introduced into our friendship, a lot of things had changed. Sarah loved to see me tiny, and while her purposes were never sinister, I didn't enjoy feeling so uncomfortable around a good friend of mine.

"Well, here we are" Jen said, slowing her car to a stop, parking right next to mine, which had been left there from the night prior.

I let out a great sigh, and looked up at Jen, saying words I hoped not to regret.

"Okay..." I said, "Sarah and I can hang out for a while, while you're in class"

"Ok" Jen nodded, "and remember, if you ever get uncomfortable with her, just give me a call"

"Thanks" I said, but for some reason her words hadn't alleviated my stress as they usually did. I lean back in the cup holder and find myself looking up at her car's roof. She gives me an uncomfortable frown.

"So... you ready to go?" Jen asked.

"Huh?"

"Well, I mean, we are here" Jen said, "I'm ready to go anytime you are"

"Y-Yeah, let's go" I said, shaking off my depression. Jen set her hand down next to me, but for some reason I was having trouble getting on, so she used her other hand to pull me up.

"Thanks" I chuckled nervously. I hated being so helpless.

"Anytime, honey" she said, and pulled me up to her face, before planting a small kiss on me. I smiled, being face to face with her gorgeous eyes.

"Thanks, I needed that" I said, as she got out of the car and carefully slid me down into her pocket.

She walked into the student center which was remarkably quiet for a change. There were a few people intently watching the TV in the corner, so we went into the pool room to see what was going on there.

Sarah was playing some guy at pool and it looked like she was owning him.

"Don't feel bad, dude" Sarah said, watching him miss another shot. "I've been playing for 4 years"

"Yeah you have" the other guy chuckled, then glanced down at his watch, "oh yknow what? I have to go, I got class soon"

Jen looked down at her watch as well.

"Shoot, I think that guy's in my class" Jen said, her voice suddenly sounding panicked as she walked over to Sarah to hand me off.

"Hi, Jen" Sarah said.

"Hey" Jen said, and then quickly removed me from her pocket, "could you hold onto Bobby for a while?"

"Of course" Sarah said, her mouth seemingly unable to do anything but grin at that moment. Jen laid me down on Sarah's extended hand.

"Just be careful with him, ok?" Jen said, as she was heading out. I waved goodbye to her and then looked up at Sarah.

"H-Hi" I said, craning my neck upward to see her grinning face hovering high above me.

"Hey Bobby..." Sarah said, in a sing songy kind of way, before adding, "we're gonna have some fun"

"Huh?"

Just then I noticed that Sarah had used her other hand to clutch my right foot and soon dragged me down by it. I screamed out as she lifted me before her face, only holding onto my foot. Now would've been an awful time for my shoe to come off.

"Whee!!" Sarah exclaimed, as I screamed, flailing around in the air.

"Sarah!!" I screamed, "put me down!!"

"Okay okay!" Sarah sighed, sounding frustrated. Without any warning, she released me into her hand and I landed with a thud, "better now?"

"I guess..." I sighed, "could we just not have the antics today?"

"Okay" Sarah replied.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, I mean if you don't want to be played with, that's fine with me" Sarah said, "I know I get carried away sometimes"

"I'm glad you understand..." I said, giving forth a sigh of relief and a slight smile at my giant friend.

"Oh yeah, completely..." Sarah said, and then began lowering me to the ground with her hand. Now, instead of looking at her giant eyes, I was face to face with her feet and the floor.

"What are you doing?" I asked, looking up at her.

"Well, you don't need me to carry you around or nothing, so you're fine just walking right?" Sarah asked.

I gave her a dumbfounded look.

Sarah then began walking away and I still remained on the floor, looking up in confusion.

"Sarah, come back!" I shouted.

"Oh?" Sarah said, as if surprised that I'd want her to pick me up again, "but I thought you were a big boy now?"

"I never said that" I said.

"Oh? So then you're saying not a big boy?" Sarah asked.

"Uh... maybe?" I said.

"You're not a big boy then..." Sarah said, and put her hand right behind me to make me extra uncomfortable since I had no where to run if I had to.

"No... I guess not" I sighed.

"Then you're a little boy!" Sarah chuckled and closed her hand on me so I was completely trapped. Only my upper body and feet were free to move around. My arms and most of my legs were held captive by Sarah's tight grip as she lifted me up.

"Sarah...." I groaned.

"Sorry, I was just having fun" Sarah chuckled, and then stuffed me into her tight pants pocket. "Now c'mon... let's play some pool"

"Pool? I can't play pool at this size!" I exclaimed.

"Would you rather play foosball?" Sarah asked playfully.

"Okay, pool works" I sighed.
Sarah began to rack up the balls.

"I don't see how we're going to do this" I said, still finding myself a bit uncomfortable in Sarah's pocket. Sometimes, when she'd step, I'd feel myself get squeezed up against her thigh because the pockets were so small.

"Well obviously you can't play" Sarah admitted, "but I'll go for you... it'll be like I'm playing myself, but I'll give you a good view of it"

"Huh?" I gasped, but before I had any time to ask anything more, she had grasped me by the back of my shirt and quickly elevated me up to the window sill nearby so I was standing atop it. "You can't put me up here, someone might see me!"

"Who's going to see you?" Sarah asked, getting a pool cue and taking a look over at me on the window sill, looking pathetic.
"There's noone here"

"I suppose..." I said, "but the second someone walks in, you need to hide me"

"Okay, but first watch this!" Sarah said and took her opening shot, sending 3 balls into pockets. "Looks like you're winning"

"I didn't know I was going first" I said.

"We're going in order of height" Sarah chuckled.

"Ha..." I laughed sarcastically.

"Oh c'mon, take a joke" Sarah said, "it's not like you're that small forever, you and Jen will probably switch back by the time they day's over"

"Yeah unless Jack sweeps her off her feet..." I sighed.

"You're actually worried about that?" Sarah asked, stepping closer to the window sill so that I couldn't see much around her.

"It's no big deal" I sighed.

"Okay, if you're sure..." Sarah said, still sounding a bit concerned, and it wasn't her usual playful concern.

"Let's just keep playing" I replied, kind of enjoying being able to watch everything from up high. Being small did have it's benefits. Normally I would've taken this windowsill for granted but standing on top of it made it feel like a balcony. I could see every detail in the finely carved wood and chipped paint, and the window itself extended it's reach up to the sky, as if it were a drive-in movie screen. The pool table appeared as if it were a football field with several large orbs occupying it's surface, as Sarah patrolled the perimeter to ensure the best shot she could.

Really, when I thought about it, there was no other use for a windowsill besides so cats and very small people could perch on them. Okay, so maybe that wasn't so true.

"Looks like you're winning, Bobby" Sarah said, after missing a shot on "her" turn.

"Oh great, you're losing to yourself" I chuckled.

Sarah passed by my way just as we both heard an ominous noise. The door opening.

"Hide me!" I gasped.

Sarah nervously picked me up and began moving me down towards her pocket, when she was suddenly startled.

"Hey Sarah"

"JOHN!" she gasped, and dropped me into the nearest pool pocket. I gasped but resisted the natural urge to scream and draw attention to myself. I landed right next to the 6 ball and was surrounded by nothing but black plastic and a small hole through which I could see the white ceiling tiles. I leaned myself against the curving wall and crouched down so I wouldn't be seen as John and Sarah talked.

"Hey, were you playing pool with anyone?" John asked.

"Uh no..." Sarah chuckled nervously, "y'know, just shooting around"

"Mind if I play?" John asked, "I haven't played in a while, and since I can't seem to find anyone around, at least this gives me something to do"

"Um okay, sure" Sarah said and I sighed with frustration. How the hell was I going to get my way out of this one? There was no way out of the pool pocket which was too deep to climb out of (of course, then I'd be exposing myself) and there was a small hole in the bottom, but it was only big enough for my leg to fit through and I certainly wasn't willing to try that.

Sarah reached into the pool pocket and snatched up the 6 ball, and I found it difficult to suppress a small yelp to warn her that she came close to grabbing me by mistake.

"What was that?" John asked.

"Uh what?" Sarah asked and then I heard the sound of balls clacking against the table as Sarah was arranging them in the tradition pool rack.

"I heard a yelp or something..." John said, sounding baffled.

"Oh that was me... I've uh got a cold" Sarah said.

"I see" John said and then I heard the sound of another ball landing firmly on the table. I looked down at the black plastic floor beneath my feet, where I'd simply have to hope for the best. At least the pool pockets were wide and even if a ball landed inside, I could possibly cling to the walls and avoid being squashed...

Geez, what kind of obituary would that be? We found him dead in the pool pocket? Ouch.

I figure there's no need to panic... Sarah wouldn't let anything bad happen to me... but then if I wasn't so nervous why was I pacing around the pool pocket? Oh who was I kidding? I was very nervous.

"I'll break" I heard John say.

"Uh no, I'll break" Sarah chuckled nervously.

"Okay whatever, you break" John said.

I figured Sarah was trying to break on purpose to keep the balls away from the pocket I was in. I only hope she was skilled enough to pull it off.

"Okay..." Sarah said, her voice lacking the normal confidence she had when playing pool, "here I go..."

I closed my eyes and waited for the inevitable clacking sound of billiards. It arrived more like a thunder clap causing me to jump a bit and then I heard the subtle quakes all around the table, and tried my best to see what was going on but it was no use. I could only see straight up.

The balls roll to a stop, and then it's apparently John's turn. I close my eyes and wait but hear nothing, save the sound of my cell phone vibrating lightly in my pocket. It's a good thing John sucked at pool.

"Okay, my turn" I heard Sarah say, as I reached into my pocket and fished out my cell phone. I had received a text message, apparently, from Sarah.

Sarah hit a billiard, startling me again but luckily it rolled nowhere near my pocket, although I heard a loud thud, meaning she had made a ball in. I finally get around to reading her text message.

It read:

"Hang in there, lil guy"

I tried not to let my frustration get the best of me and remained quiet, only able to listen to the vibrations of the pool balls traveling across the table. Luckily, none of those vibrations came anywhere near me.

"Okay, time for a combo shot" I heard Sarah say, but she was accompanied by a parade of noise. It sounded as if a large crowd of people had entered the room, which made my escape even trickier without being spotted.

"Hey John!" I heard someone shout.

"Hold on, I'm playing pool!" John shouted back.

"We're playing smash bros in here!" the other voice returned.

"Oh..." John said, taking a pause before saying "Screw this, I'll see you later, Sarah"

"Well that was lucky" Sarah chuckled and then quickly fished me out of the pool pocket, "we're gonna have to be more careful with ya, little guy"

I was gonna get mad at her for calling me "little guy" yet again, but I decided to drop it since I was out of danger -- immediate danger, anyway.

Sarah carried me outside, slowly bringing me down to her pocket as she walked, and headed down towards the water.

"Okay, you gotta promise you you won't tell Jen about that" Sarah chuckled, "she'd be so pissed!"

"I guess..." I said, "it really wasn't your fault"

"Really? You mean you're not gonna blame me and make me feel horrible?" Sarah said, in an almost sarcastic kind of way but I could tell her words held some truth.

"Nah, it's fine" I said, and then glanced down as I continued, "Sorry if I'm hard on you sometimes"

"Yeah, I know" Sarah tsked and sat down, first removing me from her pocket and setting me on the cold grass. "What's up with that?"

"It's just... I don't know..." I said, and a sea breeze kind of caught me by surprising, whipping my ears and causing me to shiver, just a little bit.

"You okay down there, little guy?" Sarah asked, leaning forward a bit to get a better look at my shivering self down on the cold, wavering grass.

"I'm f-fine" I said, a small tear escaping my eyes from the sheer force of the wind in my face. It would've felt strong even at my regular size, but it felt like a mini tornado from where I was sitting.

"You sure?" Sarah asked, sounding as if she were a waitress at Friendly's, "because you can ask for help once in a while... I really don't mind"

"Heh, I'm fine" I said, as the wind subsided and I could drop my arms from their crossed position.

"I just feel like you don't trust me" Sarah said and then put her hand down flat on the ground next to me, causing me to jump back by reflex, "See? You're afraid of me"

"N-No I'm not" I said, trying to laugh it off. The sudden appearance of her hand had spooked me though, but it was nothing personal against her, I just preferred more warning about stuff like that when I was in my miniature state.

"Okay then let me hold you" Sarah said, lifting her hand off the ground.

"What?"

"Yeah, you trust me, right?" Sarah said.

"Yeah of course I do" I said, giving her a sheepish smile as I looked way up at her and her finicky hands.

"Then let me hold you" Sarah said.

"Okay sure..." I sighed, unable to make eye contact with her as I looked nervously down at the dirt instead.

"Okay then" Sarah said and wrapped one of her hands around my torso, pulling me up slowly "upsy daisy"

"S-See...?" I said, looking down at the ground and the wide array of greens and browns I could spot from such a lofty height above the field. "I trust you"

"Oh really?" Sarah said, and I noticed one of her fingers had pulled away from my body entirely, leaving me suspended by 3 fingers and her thumb that pressed firmly on my chest (although not so hard that it hurt).

"What are you doing?" I asked, suddenly feeling more prone to the laws of gravity.

"You trust me, right?" Sarah smiled, slowly removing her index finger now so that I slipped a little as she also pulled her thumb away. Now I was only being gently squeezed by her remaining 2 fingers and I could feel myself sliding downward already.

"Yes... but why are you trying to drop me?" I asked nervously, trying my best to make eye contact with her but my eyes were too fixated on the ground below me.

"If I drop you, you trust I'll catch you, right?" Sarah asked.

"I-I don't know, you might" I said, looking up at her for a brief moment before refocusing my attention on the ground again. She then released another finger and dangled me from the back of my shirt which barely clung to her finger nail. "SARAH..."

"I got ya!" Sarah said and then let me go into free fall for a brief moment before having me land securely on her other hand which she slid under me just in time.

"What was the point of that?" I shouted, part furious and part frightened. My legs were shaking as I stood straight up on her hand and gave her the sternest look I could muster.

"Oh c'mon, dont be mad" Sarah said, her voice still maintaining her usual calm after almost killing one of her friends. "I was just testing you"

"Testing me? You could've seriously hurt me!" I shouted, still glaring up at her.

"Well, what's the big deal? You're okay now" Sarah sighed, "I caught you, you're fine! Not even a scratch"

"NOT EVEN A SCRATCH?!" I blurted out in anger, "I'm not a car! I'm a person! Just because I'm really small... y'know, you should try being really small... it's not easy!"

Sarah remained silent for several moments. I let myself cool off and then let out a great sigh.

"Sarah, I'm sorry..."

"What's it like?" Sarah asked, suddenly giving me a more serious tone of voice than her usual.

"Huh?"

"What's it like... y'know... to be small?" Sarah asked.

Normally I might've snapped at her but in this case I could kind of relate, having wondered myself for a while.

"It's different..." I sighed, "I don't know how better to explain it... it's just weird... like everything's still there and it exists but... it's bigger than you... it's... I don't know, Jen could probably explain it better"

"She's tried..." Sarah said, her voice kind of drifting off into the distance, "She said it's like being in a world of giants... she says she doesn't take anything for granted since being shrunk"

"This is true" I sighed, realizing the profound truth in Jen's statements. Before this whole thing, I never would've been so grateful to be 5 foot 8, but the alternative definitely had it's disadvantages.

"So, it's funny" Sarah said, "you criticize Jen for not wanting to be seen in public when she's tiny, but we hide you too... we couldn't let John discover you back there, or anyone else"

"I know..." I said, realizing my hypocrisy, "I'm just a... I don't know, quiet person, I never want to draw attention to myself, and THIS... well this would draw attention"

"You got a point there" Sarah said.

"Plus I'm embarassed... being this size..." I admitted, "It's actually very exposing... it takes a lot of trust and confidence just to talk to someone who's a giant compared to you... let alone let them hold you... so if it seems like I'm wary of you sometimes, that's why"

"I understand" Sarah said, and then she glanced down at her watch, "Whoop, hold on, we gotta meet Jen back at the student center soon... hold on there, lil guy"

I gave her a slight growl.

"Sorry... I mean, Bobby" Sarah said, and slid me back into her pocket.

We departed back for the student center, but as we walked away, I took one last glance at the ocean from over the rocks, and I had to say one thing...

It sure made one feel small...