- Text Size +
"My little girlfriend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 6: Bitter Reunion

"Alright..." Jen said, glancing quickly down at her watch and then back at me, resting in Sarah's palm, "I'm gonna go meet Jack now, Kim should be here soon to pick you up"

"Whatever..." I sighed, still restrained to the confines of Sarah's hand, floating feet off the ground in front of my girlfriend.

We had gathered in the hideout for some time but now was the time I dreaded... time to watch Jen go off and meet that damn Jack. I felt so helpless. I wanted to just leap off Sarah's hand and try to stop her, but of course I realized that'd be suicide for me.

"Bobby..." Jen said, breaking me out of my momentary daze, "Are you sure you're okay with this? I don't have to go"

Jen knelt down a tad, so that her face was leaning in towards me and I felt kind of embarassed, for some reason. I usually did, being so little.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine" I sighed, unable to look her in the eyes that seemed to drill into the back of my skull.

"Ok..." Jen said, her voice filled with hesitance as she slowly leaned herself back so that she was standing at her full height. "...if you're sure"

"Sure" I said, in a near whisper so noone could hear. I had to stop being so overreactive to everything. If Jen wanted to see Jack, that wasn't a reason to get all upset. I could deal with it... hopefully.

"Hey, can I hold him for a second?" Jen asked Sarah in a very sweet tone of voice. It was certainly a welcome change of pace from her anger the night before. Sarah laid me gently down on Jen's palm and I looked up at her, forcing a smile. It was hard not to at least force a smile when I saw hers.

"Heh, have a good time" I said sheepishly, saying the only thing I could think of to say that wouldn't make it seem like I was mad at her, even if I kind of had been.

"You too, darling" she smiled and gave me a small kiss, before slowly laying me back down in Sarah's palm. Sarah used her free hand to wave to Jen as she ran out the door to meet Jack.

"You okay?" Sarah asked, after Jen was long gone. It seemed everyone was very concerned for me for whatever reason. It kind of made me worry more -- as if my normally paranoid point of view was actually warranted.

"Yeah, I'm fine!" I said, with a nervous chuckle that also strongly insinuated anger. It wasn't fair that Jen was doing this when she knew it ticked me off... the only reason she was doing it all was to get revenge for something I never meant to do, which was get mixed up with that new girl, Ashley. Sarah frowned when she saw my angry reaction.

"You shouldn't get so angry, lil Bobby" Sarah said, returning to her childish tone as she scooped me up with her other hand and dangled me in front of her face, "you don't look as cute when you're angry"

"Sarah, set me down, please!!" I gasped, "you know how I feel about this!"

I sighed with relief when she lowered me back onto her hand which still wasn't the most stable place to be but it was better than risking a free fall from several feet off the ground. It felt like I had been small for a long time, as Sarah carried me downstairs finally, and out of the hideout. For some reason, I planned to especially savor my time at normal size... whenever that time came to pass.

Also, as Sarah carries me out to the main foyer of Avery Point, among the shrubbery and fountains, I couldn't help but wonder how Jen did it for 3 years... I just couldn't bear to think of it... 3 years of living small... dwelling in the depths of Avery Point, constantly afraid, totally helpless. For some reason, when I assumed her to be a fairy I didn't think about it, but now that I knew better -- now that I knew she was just another teenager, just like me, I often asked myself how she could handle herself like that, when I was ready to freak out after being small for a couple of days.

"Oh, hold on" Sarah said, jostling me slightly in her hand as she reached into her pockets and pulled out her cell phone, "Im getting a text from Kim, she's on her way"

"Goodie" I sighed and sat down in Sarah's hand, since standing on moving flesh wasn't always the easiest thing.

"You and Kim cool now?" Sarah asked, referring to the couple of years of fallout that we had following our messy breakup.

"Yeah I suppose..." I sighed, looking down at the grass from up on Sarah's hand, but even I wasn't sure. I guess we were 'cool', but there was still a general feeling that we could never be the kind of caring friends that we once were. It was nothing personal, it was just life. Friends grow apart sometimes.

"Because I gotta be honest with ya..." Sarah said, continuing her prior sentence, "I never thought I'd see the day when you and Kim were even talking again, let alone..."

"Yeah, I know..." I sighed, kind of frustrated to even have to explain this to anyone. John was vehemently against me even talking to Kim anymore, but of course he didn't know of our previous adventures, "...I just... I don't know, she's not a bad person really... and I still find her funny and kinda cool, like when we were friends. For whatever reason, I know we'll never be friends again like we were but..."

"Well, why not?" Sarah asked.

"Why not what?" I asked, curiously glancing up at her.

"Why can't you be friends with Kim like before?" Sarah shrugged, looking down at me, "I mean, you said you'd never talk to her again either and now you're about to hang out with her for a little while..."

"Yeah but that's different..." I sighed, "that's only because..."

"What? Because she helped you when you thought she'd just squish you instead?" Sarah asked.

"Ugh, can we not talk about this?" I sighed and looked back down at the dirt and grass.

"Okay okay, fine... I'm just saying..." Sarah said.

"I don't know what youre saying..." I sighed, part of me wanting to end the conversation entirely, yet another part of me intrigued to see what Sarah meant.

"I'm saying..." Sarah said, her tone of voice becoming more frustrated than her normal cheerful tone, "...y'know what? I don't know what I'm saying"

"Sarah..." I said, looking up at her, feeling bad for getting her upset, while also wanting to get the truth out of her.

"No. Forget it." Sarah said.

Gee... I had some way with women, didn't I?

"There ya are" I heard Kim's voice say. She always had a sort of friendly tone to her voice, at least at first. Even when she was mad, she'd use words like "buddy, friend, goodie", words like that. Of course she also had a dark side I was all too familiar with but she at least tried to present herself well at first, to make a good impression. I glanced up at her nervously and waved. Even though we had still been in contact for the last couple months, we hadn't seen each other too much and most of the time when we did I was my regular height.

"Hi" I said, giving Kim a sort of smile.

"What's the matter?" Kim said, kneeling down so that she was level with Sarah's hand, which I rested in. Somehow she had seen through my fake smile.

"Nothing" I said, widening my smile, which only maked it appear more fake, I was certain.

Kim pretended to act like she was thinking, a gesture that was surely sarcastic, before she pretended to get an idea and say, "Something's the matter, Bobby..."

"No" I said, still maintaining my smile but unable to hold any eye contact with either her or Sarah. For some reason, being small intensified the nervous feeling I would normally get when lying.

"You can't fool me, Bobby" Kim leaning in closer, prompting an instinctive jump back from me. I landed backwards onto Sarah's hand, holding myself up with my hands but I still felt afraid, not because of Kim but just out of natural fear of being little. "Here, give him to me"

Sarah slowly slid her hands sideways so that gravity dragged me onto Kim's extended hand. I landed softly and looked up at Kim nervously.

"There, that wasn't so bad was it?" Kim said, still talking to me like I was a little kid.

I smiled back.

"Have fun, you two" Sarah said, waving to Kim.

"Bet you're glad to be rid of her..." Kim said under her breath so that I could hear her as she slipped me into her jeans pocket.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Oh c'mon, I know you..." Kim said, "And I know Sarah too... it's obvious youre uncomfortable with her..."

"Well no offense..." I said, pulling one of my hands onto the rim of Kim's pocket so that I was dangling from it, "but I'm not all that comfortable here either..."

"I know" Kim said, with a shrug, "but what can you do? You're not really comfortable anywhere"

Kim then walked to her car and swung open the door.

"Well would you be...? If you were this little?" I asked defensively, as Kim took me out of her pocket and looked me in the eye as I spoke from her hand.

"Probably not" Kim said, her face neither smiling or frowning as she spoke, a sign that she was speaking seriously, "but I'd probably handle it a bit better than you..."

"If you wanna try it, be my guest..." I sighed as Kim set me down in her cup holder. I didn't mean to cause tension between us, but for some reason I carried with me the anger from last night... being forced to sit there and watch my girlfriend arrange a date (well she didn't call it that) with some guy I barely knew. It almost reminded me of another such situation.

"No thanks" Kim said, starting the car, looking down at me, as she said, "I don't date people who'd put me in bad situations..."

"What?" I said, kind of giving her a glare, albeit a little glare.

"Nothing" Kim said as she pulled out and a few minutes passed before she spoke again, "Look... I don't want there to be some kind of thing between us, so can we just start over? I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable"

"It's not your fault..." I said, my head kind of lost in the clouds as usual... plus her car had been rather stuffy so that didn't help.

"Well..." Kim said, finally showing me a smile again for the first time since she first saw me several minutes ago, "I think you'll enjoy tonight"

"Oh?"

"Yeah, we're going somewhere that I think you'll enjoy..." Kim said, "well I might've said too much already, actually"

"Where are we going?" I asked, sitting up in the cupholder now. Even so, I couldn't see well enough out the window. I saw only passing clouds.


"You'll see..." Kim said.

I sighed and hung my head.

Without saying much else, I saw Kim's hand reach for the knob to adjust her air conditioning. I look up at her offering up a grateful smile that she probably couldn't see because her face was focused more on the action outside the car than inside.

The strong winds from the vent start off soft but quickly pick up until the noise becomes quite overwhelming, akin to opening the windows on a highway with the wind whipping in your ears.


"It shouldn't be too much further" Kim said, taking a sharp right turn to get on the highway. Even through the gale force winds I could still hear her voice since everything appeared to be louder at my size.


Some more time went by before Kim finally decided to speak again.


"So..." she said, "Are you gonna say anything or are we just gonna make this the most boring car ride ever?"

She then turned down the air a couple notches, noticing that it had been bothering me a little.


"I'm fine..." I sighed ... something I'd usual say when I was actually everything but fine. Kim immediately notices my state of anxiety.

"Look, if something's wrong, we can talk about it - otherwise just try to cheer up" Kim said, "I don't get to see you too often and it'd be nice if you actually said something"

"You're the driver, you say something" I snapped back, having no clue what that meant.

"That didn't even make sense," Kim sighed and then added, "something must be wrong... you're getting defensive"

"I am NOT defensive..." I yelled defensively... oops.

Kim let out a sigh and I could tell by looking at her eyes which hooded down as she squinted to look out at the road that was she was holding in some anger towards me.


"Kim..." I sighed, "it's honestly not your fault... you should know by now that I'm always at least a little bummed when I'm tiny"


"Yeah yeah..." Kim said, maintaining her cold, methodical gaze on the road. She let out another disgusted sigh and continued driving. I looked up to see nothing but scenery scrolling by at a rapid pace. I had no clue where we were which was something else that I found disorienting about being tiny.


Even in an area I knew very well, I'd often times feel lost. When I was small, it was very easy to keep my location hidden from me and when I ended up at point B, I'd often times have no clue how I got there. This was one of those times, and just something I had to get used to, among other things.


"So... anything up with you?" I asked, after a lot of silence had gone by.

"Same ol, same ol..." Kim said and then added, "not that I'm complaining, but why did you want to see me today?



"What do you mean?" I asked, standing up attentively and looking up at her.

"Well c'mon Bobby... I'm obviously not your first choice to hang out with..." Kim said, "plus ever since you dated what's her face there..."

"Her name's Jen" I said.

"Whatever, Jen..." Kim said and I could notice her rolling her eyes, "...she's cool and all, but you barely have any time for yourself..."

"Huh?"

"I just mean..." Kim continued, the car slowing to a stop, "that you've been dating her 3 months, right?"

"Yeah..."

"How many times have you hung out with your friends?" Kim asked, "I remember you and John used to hang out all the time, even back when we were dating"

"I still see John...sometimes..." I muttered.

"Yeah, and he's one of your best friends... meaning you're probably not hanging out with anyone else except Jen..." Kim said.

"What's your point?" I sighed. I really hated getting questions like this. Kim was the only one who liked to bring this kind of crap up. I was a pessimist as it was, which is probably why things couldn't have worked out between Kim and I. She, like me, loved to analyze the negative of a situation, even if she didn't go as far with it as I did. She always had a habit of planting bad seeds in my head that would blossom into horrible hightmares over time.

I wouldn't let her do that.

"Okay, enough of the questions..." I said at last, "where the hell are we?"

"Get ready for this..." Kim said and laid her hand down on the console, popping open her car door, then paused when she noticed I hadn't gotten onto her hand yet, "you coming?"

In all honesty, I had all intention of climbing onto her extended hand but I was having trouble making the leap out of the cup holder which was about my height in depth so I not only had to climb up it but then I had to get myself onto Kim's hand. Kim, realizing this, used her other hand to lift me up and set me down on her palm. It was a bit painful, but it got things done faster.

"Okay, now do you remember this place?" Kim said, slowly sliding me into her pocket so I could still see. The place in front of us was a small restaurant named "Fred's Shanty" which I, of course, remembered.

Fred's was a small oceanside restaurant in New London and one of the better places to eat in the relatively small suburb. It was still crowded, even on a Thursday afternoon and a place where Kim and I had gone on a few dates together back in the day, as well as a place I'd frequent with family and friends.

"Wow, I didn't even know they were open yet" I said, since Fred's was a summer only restaurant that usually didn't open til June, and it had been May.

"Yep, just opened last week" Kim said, "I would've asked if you wanted to go when you were regular sized, but I guess this works too"

"We save money on food" I chuckled, making the very rare joke about my own height. Kim giggled.

"C'mon, let's just go order" she said, still recovering from her brief fit of laughter. She gazed up at the menu, "Do you still like their clam strips?"

"Oh hell yeah" I said, letting the gentle breeze hit me. It wasn't actually summer yet, so the weather wasn't as nice as it would be in July, but it was a rare nice day of about 60 degrees, plus I was pretty snug in Kim's pocket, so getting a little air was refreshing.

Kim ordered the food and we sat down on one of the many picnic benches. It was so early on that they hadn't even put up the tents that usually draped over the outdoor eatery, so instead it was just a metal frame surrounding a cluster of picnic benches. Kim sat down at the bench in the corner, presumably to keep me concealed from the world of giants that walked about around us.

Kim removed me from her pocket before she sat down, having the foresight to do so before her thighs leaned on me and crushed me, which is something that even Jen would forget to do from time to time. Kim set the large orange tray down on the table and I stepped onto it as she took inventory of the food on the plates.

I reached for a clam strip that had been dangling off the edge of a plate and pulled on it. It ended up being longer than I thought and I tripped, landing against the tray and only pulling about half of the strip out of the pile, before it got tangled in a mess of clams.

"Need some help?" Kim chuckled, and fished the single strip out of the pile before handing it to me.

"Thanks" I sighed, feeling an inevitable wave of embarassment sweep over me. Did I mention I hated feeling helpless?

"Sure thing" Kim said, beginning to eat some of the clam strips, "...so..."

"So..." I said, not really knowing what to say. I had to admit it was a bit weird to be back at the same restaurant with Kim that I had been at during our dating years. The restaurant hadn't changed much at all, but my feelings for Kim sure had. Even now, I wasn't sure how to feel about her. Chances are, if she wasn't aware of this "arrangement", I wouldn't have even thought of contacting her, but as it were, she provided a nice break from Sarah's antics, even if she had a few of her own.

"If you don't mind my asking..." Kim said, between bites, "why aren't you with Jen today?"

"Jen? Huh? Yeah..." I said, feeling a bit caught off guard by her sudden question, "Jen's just off... y'know... doin stuff..."

"Oh..." Kim said, not putting much thought into it, "okay..."

Kim resumed eating for a few more moments before I inexpliquably blurted out "she's with some stupid guy!"

"What?" Kim said, giving me a sort of confused smile as she looked down at me, completely not expecting my outburst.

"Y-Yeah..." I said, feeling my panic expand within me naturally as I spoke, "She met up with some old friend of hers... named Jack, who just came back to Avery Point out of nowhere and now they're out together... and I'm here... and she's..."

"So, you're afraid she's cheating on you?" Kim asked.

"What? No!!" I gasped, giving Kim an appalled look, "how could you say that?"

"Because I know you..." Kim said, her voice still remaining calm as mine got more hyper and tense, ".. you can't trust anyone... plus after everything that happened... y'know... with us, it's understanding why you'd be a little worried with your next girlfriend... she IS the first girlfriend you've had since...? Right?"

"Yeah..." I sighed, feeling like a bit of an idiot for admitting that. After all, about a year had gone by since my breakup with Kim before I even met Jen, so I had been dateless for quite some time, which is not something I liked to admit to my ex.

"Well, it's okay to be a little... concerned, but don't let it get you crazy" Kim said.

"Crazy... I am not crazy!!" I snapped, stomping my foot on the tray, "I'm just...worried... yknow?"

"Look, I don't know Jen that well..." Kim said, "but I don't see her doing anything like that to you.. especially after what you've done for her... and if she did, well she'd just be the biggest bitch of all time"

"Point taken" I chuckled, "but it's actually not her I'm worried about... it's that guy... he just seems like an asshole"

"You think every guy you don't know is an asshole" Kim sighed.

"Not true!" I yelled.

"Oh it is so true!" Kim said, "back when we were dating, heck back when friends of yours liked other guys, you'd always say 'don't talk to him, he's an asshole!'"

"Not to everyone" I said.

"Pretty much 90% of guys you either felt threatened by or just hated" Kim said, "for whatever reason, you always expect the worst out of people"

I began to take offense from all this, and if I hadn't contained my emotions, I might've said something about how I considered her to be one of those people for which I expected the worst from, but I decided to keep it to myself and continue on.

"I don't know..." I said, getting flustered and letting my anger subside into exhaustion instead, "...I just don't like him, okay? That's my opinion of him"

"Okay okay" Kim said, finishing up the last of the french fries on the side, "whatever you say"

I was then struck with another question that seemed to burn itself into my mind for some reason.

"Hey Kim?" I said. She attentively craned her head down at me, "what did you mean when you were talking about how I have no time for anyone?"

"I just mean you don't have time" Kim shrugged, "I mean your life has been so scheduled since you started dating her"

"Do you not like her or something?" I said, interuppting her, "you seem to have a problem with calling my girlfriend Jen"

"If you let me finish..." Kim growled, "I was just saying, it doesn't matter who she is, the fact that you have to sacrafice every other day of your life is taking a toll on you altogether"

"Huh?"

"I mean, you had to pick your classes in a way that wouldn't clash with hers, you and her both have to work different hours..." Kim continued, "what little time you 2 have to yourselves you have to spend making sure the other doesn't get squished"

I sighed again.

"What are you trying to say?" I snapped.

"I... I just don't think you've thought this through..." Kim sighed.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well it's just that... you're small, she's small... it just keeps going and going and... eventually, it's going to have to end" Kim said.

I was left speechless by her oddly obvious take on reality, and yet I hadn't pondered it before.

"I mean, I don't see this relationship lasting forever, because very few relationships do last forever..." Kim said, "and take into account the fact that you 2 can never lead a normal life..."

"Sure we can" I said.

"Bobby, I'm talking to you on my TRAY!" Kim chuckled, "You call this normal?"

"Ok ok, you made your point" I said.

"I'm just saying, there's gonna come a time when you 2 are gonna... well... break up" Kim said, "and it's different in this case, because... when that happens... think about it... one of you is going to have to stay small..."

"You don't think she'd break up with me and leave me tiny, do you?!" I snapped.

"No!! No, I mean... see, there ya go, assuming the worst again" Kim said, "it's just like that one night we went out together, remember? You spent the whole night looking for Dan..."

I looked up at her with a bit of a glare, both out of confusion and anger. I vaguely remembered what she was talking about but I wasn't sure.

"Y'know..." Kim elaborated, "we went out to Fred's one night and it was a summer night and we were out..."

"....it was in August..." I said, feeling the pieces begining to come back to me.

"I think it was..." Kim answered, "we went to Fred's..."

"...then we got ice cream..." I continued.

"Right, and you kept looking for Dan, like all paranoid" Kim chuckled, "I was surprised you didn't start looking in bushes..."

"Heh, yeah..." I said, "that was a good..."

Just then, something snapped in my brain. I played the night through in my head again, trying to remember everything I could based on the little info Kim had given me, but all she had really done was dig up a memory I hadn't wanted to revisit.

The night was August 15 and we were out on our date. At this point Kim had been in contact with Dan a lot which worried me because of their past. I tried not to let it get to me but I felt this overwhelming distrust for her that night. I remember she looked at her phone every 2 seconds and I couldn't help but wonder just what was going on.

We were out getting ice cream that night when she had to leave suddenly. She looked at her phone and said she had to leave but the reasons didn't add up. I had driven her that night so I was going to give her a ride back to her house, but on the way back she insisted I pull into a parking lot. It was the Stop and Shop parking lot and was nearly abandoned, except for a few cars. She said she had to meet her mom for some shopping there and that's why she had to go. I figured it to be a bogus excuse.

I took off from the parking lot -- or so she thought. I actually circled back and saw her get into another car... Dan's car.

"YOU BITCH!!" I snapped. Kim looked at me with shock as I started screaming. She nervously tucked me into her pocket to avoid drawing attention to herself.

She then got up and sped to the trash to throw away the scraps from our meal as I furiously screamed and yelled, my voice muffled inside her pocket.

"KIM!! YOU BITCH!! LET ME OUT OF HERE!" I screamed, kicking and fighting my way to the top of her pocket so she could hear me more clearly.

"Shhh" Kim snarled and walked back into her car, slamming the door and setting me down on her cupholder as I gave her a nasty glare, "There, ya happy?"

"No!" I said and turned my back to her.

"What? You're gonna give me a silent treatment?" Kim yelled, "What the hell's your problem? Tiny little Bobby is gonna throw a tantrum?"

I frowned, remaining turned away from her, crossing my arms.

"Aw, tiny little Bobby is pissed off?" Kim yelled, trying to get my attention, "what the hell, dude? Just tell me what's wrong, don't be a baby about it!"

"Shut up!!" I yelled.

"Oh real mature! A 3 inch tall guy is gonna start yelling at me!" Kim said, "I don't have to put up with this!"

Kim forcibly grabbed me from behind and was about to shove me into the glove compartment, like Jen had. I looked up at her cold unforgiving face and finally screamed.

"WAIT!! PLEASE DON'T!!" I screamed.

Kim stopped.

"Please don't put me in there..." I sighed, small tears streaming down my face, "I'm sorry... please... please don't put me in there... it's dark and small... and... please... don't..."

As I was saying all this Kim was gently setting me back down on her cup holder. I let out a sigh and then fell onto my knees, now sobbing.

"Why the hell did you have to do that?" I yelled between sobbed.

"I'm sorry..." Kim said, "I overreacted"

"No, not that" I said, "I mean back in August when you... with Dan... and..."

"Oh..." Kim sighed.

"And you wonder why I wouldn't trust anyone? I expected the worst of you that night and guess what? I got it" I said, trying to stop my uncontrollable tears.

"Bobby, I..."

"I just don't think we can do this anymore..."I sighed, "I never wanted you to see me like this and I just don't think this is going to work... it's obvious you're against my going out with Jen and quite honestly, I find it hard to be with you and not get upset about things that I thought I had forgotten about..."

"Bobby..."

"Hold on," I said, feeling my cell phone vibrate. I tried to compose myself and opened it, "Hello?"

"Bobby?"

"Jen?" I said, noticing right away that her voice had sounded broken and sad. "What's wrong?"

"Bobby... I am so sorry, you were right..." Jen said. She didn't sound like she was crying but she sounded distraught none the less.

"What do you mean?" I asked, feeling my own emotions fade away as I began to worry about Jen's.

"I'm at Avery Point..." Jen said, "if you're not still busy with Kim, I'd like to see you..."

"Sure... but what's wrong?" I asked.

"I'll tell you when you get here..." Jen said, "see ya soon"

"Yeah, sure..." I sighed.

What the hell could've happened?