- Text Size +
"My Little Girlfriend"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 7: Shadows of the past

"Jen... honey... um, we just got off the phone with the Groton Police Station..."

"And...?" Jen asked, her voice pensive as she stared back at her father who returned with an uncertain look on his face. I looked up and cringed. That was never a good sign.

"They said that Andy's parents posted bail, but he's under probation.. and for the time being, house arrest", her father explained.

"You mean they let him go?" Jen cried, "how could they let him go?!"

"Well he had already served most of his sentence..." Jen's mom added, "and there wasn't much evidence against him..."

"Jen, we know this is hard for you to hear..." Jen's father added, "but the police assured us, he's not allowed within 100 yards of you"

"Oh yeah..." Jen said, giving her parents a fake smile as she slowly broke into tears, her voice failing as she spoke, "Im sure that'll stop him... I'm sure that'll really..."

Jen's words trailed off and she took off running into her room, slamming the door. I looked up at her and sighed.

"Jen..." I said softly, trying not to upset her further as I pulled myself to the top of her pocket.

"I know..." Jen said, her head panned down towards me as a few tears dripped down her face, "I'm overreacting... it's just..."

"No, I know..." I sighed, "I understand completely, Jen, really"

Jen gave me a smile as she removed me slowly from her pocket and set me down on the desk in front of her.

"Of course you do" Jen said, running her hand along my head and back, as if she were petting me. Normally I wasn't into that kind of thing, but I let her do it, since I knew she was upset.

"If the police let him go, and his parents posted bail, there's not much we can do" I said, "it has been a month, and hopefully he's got better things to do than plot revenge..."

"I know... but..."

"Jen?"

Jen spun around quickly to face her mother who had just cracked open the door. She stood in front of me to hide me.

"H-Hi" Jen said nervously.

"I thought I heard you talking to someone in here... is everything okay?" Jen's mother asked.

Jen bit her lip and glanced back at me for a moment. I gave her a solemn nod.

"Actually, mom..." Jen said, choking up, "there's something I have to tell you..."

"Okay, we're here..."

"Huh?" I gasped.

"We're back at Avery Point" I heard Kim say, breaking my transe for the moment. I looked around for some time, regaining my bearings as Kim set her hand down on the seat.

"Well? I don't have all day" Kim said, her voice sounding gruff and impatient as compared to usual. After some hesitation, I pull myself onto her palm and she lifts me up.

"Kim, I'm really sorry about before" I sighed.

"Whatever" Kim said, and then opened the door and stepped outside, "I just hope your girlfriend is okay, you said she was pretty upset..."

"Yeah, I hope she's okay too..." I said, wondering what could've gotten her that way. After all, she was seeing her best buddy Jack and all.

Kim doesn't have to walk long to find Jen sitting on a curb just beside the parking lot, with her head down towards the ground.

"Hi" Kim said, and then sat down next to Jen, pulling her hand out so that my eye was level with Jen's face, "look who I brought"

Jen smiled and it felt like a sincere smile, even though her face looked ravaged from tears.

"Bobby..." Jen said, her voice conveying to me a series of emotions ranging from doubt to guilt. "I am SO sorry..."

"Jen..." I frowned, "what's the matter?"

Kim set me down in Jen's outreached hand and stood up.

"I guess I should leave you 2 alone now..." Kim said, and began walking away, "hope you feel better soon, Jen"

"Thanks" Jen said, waiting for Kim to completely fade from sight before focusing her attention back down on me. As she was staring off into space, I couldn't help but admire her beauty from where I was sitting.

"So, what happened?" I said, finally getting serious again.

"Jack just... ugh..." Jen said, talking more like her usual self than she had been previously on the phone, "Jack's just... I don't know..."

"What'd he do?" I asked, finding myself getting angry. Whatever he did had offended my girlfriend and I certainly didn't like that.

"He didn't ACTUALLY do anything..." Jen explained, "but he sure tried to..."

"What?"

"Let's just say you were right..." Jen said, letting out a long sigh that faded into nothingness, "When I went to meet Jack, he brought me flowers and candy, which I thought was a little over the top and then he insisted we go see this movie, and I don't know, he made me uncomfortable..."

I continued to give her a look of concern as she spoke.

"...he kept trying to put his arm around me in the movie..." Jen explained, "and then he... ugh..."

"Then he what?" I said, feeling a combination of anger and nervousness for whatever reason. I hated feeling like I had no control.

"Let's just say he was very touchy... and I never, ever should've agreed to see him by himself..." Jen said, "I'm so sorry... I'm such an idiot"

"You're not an idiot" I said looking up at her, "Jack was a friend of yours... how were you supposed to..."

"And I was so mean to you" Jen cried, cutting me off mid-sentence, "I am so sorry that I was so mean to you because you've been the only guy who hasn't been a jerk to me"

Jen then raised me up for a moment and planted a kiss on me. I fell back and smiled.

"This whole thing was just a bad idea from the start..." Jen sighed, "Jack was always such a nice guy, but now he was just a jerk... he thought he was so smooth in his leather jacket and crap... and he kept trying to get me to eat those stupid chocolates"

"What kind of chocolates?" I asked, trying to make the conversation more casual than emotional.

"I don't know, some stupid fancy chocolates" Jen said, "the whole thing was stupid..."

A few more moments of silence passed.

"So how was your time with Kim?" Jen finally asked.

"Uh... it was okay..." I said, but was unable to maintain eye contact with my girlfriend as I spoke because I knew that was a lie. Kim and I at times had felt like good friends but more often had felt the same tenseness we felt prior to our breakup. I knew that it would probably be a while before Kim and I hung out again.

"You don't mind being small again tonight, do you?" Jen asked, "I told my parents I'd be home soon, and right about now, feeling as bad as I do..."

"I understand..."I said, although the selfish part of my psyche desperately wished to be normal sized again, "... I'll sleep over with you tonight, I don't mind"

Jen smiled again.

"Tnank you sooo much" Jen said, and then added, "I promise I'll make it up to you"

"You don't have to do..."

"No, I mean it" Jen said, "I want to... tomorrow you can be normal sized and I'll be your pocket sized girlfriend"

I chuckled and said, "Well if you put it like that..."

"Yep" Jen said, in the cutest way, "and then we'll even go out on a date tomorrow night, I know it's been a while"

"It has been a while..." I sighed, all the while letting my mind drift off to some of those memories I had of us on our dates.

"Yeah, so tomorrow night, when I'm feeling better..." Jen said, as she walked us back to her car, "We'll do whatever you'd like"

I smiled.

"Okay, if that's what you want" I smiled.

"More than anything" Jen said, and gave me another small kiss, enveloping me with her warm lips before sitting me down in her car's cup holder. Before she put the key in the ignition, we took a moment to gaze out at the massive sunset from Avery Point.

"So... I don't suppose you have any of those chocolates?" I joked, "I'm kinda hungry"

"Those? Ha! I threw those in his face!" Jen laughed.

"Atta girl" I smiled.