- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

HONOLULU, OAHU, HAWAII (USA)

APRIL 18, 1979

  "On February 28, 1850, northern Chinese warlord Chen Wu Lung of Lanchou married Yu Mei-ling of Amoy.  The latter was the eldest daughter of Yu Wen Mi.  The wealthiest man in Fukien Province.  So, naturally, both men expected this union to be of great benefit, both politically and socio-economically!  Yet, between the couple's own age disparity (he was age 37; she was only 16) and the fourteen years of chaos now known as the Taiping Rebellion, it was not until 1865 that Mei-ling was able to bless that union with any children.  In this case; fraternal twins."

 "The first-born son, Chen Ying Yu Xiong, and his slightly younger sister, Chen Gui Hua."

 "The girl was abducted by Dongan rebels when she was only four years-old.  She was subsequently rescued, however, by an expatriate Japanese ronin named Ishimura Jun'Yo!  A reactionary samurai, he had emigrated to mainland China in bitter opposition to the Meiji Emperor's plans to modernize Japan.  But, if he had ever once been worried about what kind of gainful employment he would find, upon arriving there, he ceased worrying once he rescued the warlord's daughter.  For not only did her grateful father appoint Ishimura as Gui Hua's personal bodyguard for the rest of all time.  He also promised to make her Ishimura's wife when she came of age!"  

 "That came to pass in 1886.  By which point, her brother had already spent five years helping their father and maternal grandfather to smuggle British army-surplus arms and ammunition to Imperial Chinese troops fighting against the French in northern Vietnam.  For it was through his in-laws, the House of Yu, that Chen Wu Lung had first become involved with the Earth Tiger Society of Hong Kong."

 "Unfortunately, northern Vietnam became part of French Indochina, just the same.  A fact that did not endear the Earth Tigers to Chen Ying, whatsoever!  Indeed, his resentment only increased, after he became warlord, following his father's death during the Boxer Rebellion.  And it became undying hatred after he learned how the Earth Tigers had secretly been collaborating with the military forces of Germany, based in the Shantung Peninsula, during World War One."

 "Chen Ying considered that an unforgivable betrayal.  He therefore became obsessed with destroying the Earth Tigers, once and for all, by any means necessary.  Including post-war purchases of as many American-made tommy guns as possible!  By the Japanese invasion of 1931, his private army had become the nucleus of a rival tong; the Bear Eagle Society.  And, as the initial Communist/Nationalist coalition against the Japanese was supported by the Earth Tigers, the Bear Eagles predictably (yet still rather stupidly) collaborated _with_ the Japanese _against_ them!"

 "Hence their ultimately being forced into Burmese exile after 1945."

 "As for Chen Gui Hua; she had finally managed to become pregnant during the winter of 1900.  Unfortunately, she went into premature labor, during her second trimester, after learning that her husband had been killed while leading pro-Boxer Chinese troops against the Japanese contingent of the International Relief Expedition.  Even more tragically, she did not live to see her only child successfully delivered via Caesarean section!  Consequently, the now equally widowed Chen Mei-ling seized the opportunity to have her newborn grandchild (a baby girl) smuggled to Japan. For her brother, the publicly esteemed banker Yu Lai, had recently opened a new branch there within the local Chinatown of Nagasaki!"

 "So it was there that he would raise the little girl, as his own, under the pseudonym 'Yuno Hu.' "

  Chet Northfield set down the pad and pencil he had been using to record (in shorthand) the recitation he had just heard from the Zainichi* calling himself "Taiwan" Ahn.  And he freely admitted that it was a fascinating story!

  "But," he added:  "...I fail to see what any of that has to do with the upcoming wedding of Princess Jumana of Najranistan."

  "Taiwan" Ahn smiled:  "There is going to be an assassination attempt against her within the next two weeks. And the attempt is going to be made by a ninja in the employ of the Earth Tigers' true masters.  The Heikegani-ryu!"


  * * * * *

  WATANABE DOJO

  TARZANA, CALIFORNIA

  (TWO DAYS LATER)

  "I thought the Heikegani-ryu only accepted contracts they deemed an extra-special challenge to their reputation, " Chet remarked when he finished repeating the story:  "So why target a Middle Eastern princess?  Especially when, from their point of view, killing her would probably be just mildly difficult--maybe even boring!--by comparison."

  "Wealth and power, my nephew," replied Anjiro Watanabe:  "There's a lot riding on her upcoming marriage to that Lebanese oil sheikh.  So there's bound to be a few people who regard her as worth more dead than alive!"

  "Jiro!" chided his wife.

  "The truth is harsh, more often than not, Tsune-chen.  So, what else did this Zainichi say about the assassination attempt?"

  "Only that the ninja is going to have inside help of some kind.  So, what do you suggest we do, Uncle Jiro?"

  "I'll contact Mini-Ops and give Dr. Long a carefully edited version of your story.  While he sees to providing a little extra security for the princess, you and I can begin trying to hunt down this ninja, pre-emptively."

  tbc

   

    



 



 





 



Chapter End Notes:

*Zainichi:  any Japanese of centuries-old Korean heritage (as opposed to the children and/or grandchildren of more recently naturalized Korean immigrants to Japan).