- Text Size +

"Incredible," he stammered. Thinking that this was all an alcohol infused dream. 

 

"I mean to ask you," the lady started. "I have no true protection here. I have no loyal and brave knights. Would you be my brave knight here?" She enquired, almost apologetically. 

 

"My lady I would be so honoured," Arthur replied with a clumsy bow. "It would be a true pleasure," 

 

Lady Windermere sat back in her chair with a wide smile of thanks. 

 

She sat there beholding him in his glorious new tunic. 

 

Then her smile straightened slightly. 

 

"Sir Arthur, I would like to hear you say it," 

 

"My lady?" 

 

"I would like to hear you say that you will act as my loyal Knight…" 

 

He looked confused. 

 

"Yes, I would be honoured," 

 

"Please say the words, sir Knight… for my… pleasure," he frowned and then pondered what she was asking of him. 

 

He stepped forwards, gently took her fingers with his hand, knelt (somewhat clumsily), and held her hand in front of his face. 

 

"My Lady Guinevere, Lady of Windermere and this magnificent abode, I offer you my humble service as your Knight." He gently kissed her hand. She accepted it with a nod of her head. But he continued. "I will serve you and protect you as befits the role of a Knight of more noble birth than I…"

 

"Birth right does not make one noble," Lady Guinevere retracted her hand sharply but still elegantly. "You will remember that sir Knight. The actions of individuals are what makes one noble." 

 

Arthur nodded, receiving his first lesson from his new Lady. 

 

"I must anoint you as a Knight, it would be befitting," she picked up a steak knife from the table set. It was of unusual metal. 

 

"This is no ordinary metal, it is the metal from a falling star," she started. 

 

She stood, for the first time for hours, from her chair, held the small steak knife aloft, above her. 

 

Arthur looked up, looked up at her glorious body, her beautiful chin, which looked up along her arm to the knife which pointed skywards. 

 

Suddenly the lady's other hand gestured towards the main chandelier which was burning with candles. 

 

Arthur gasped as the candle light, the fire, seemed to be sucked away from the candlesticks and soared across the air and hovered in a ball of flame above her outstretched palm. 

 

She muttered some foreign words, then shouted some more, her voice contained such power that it felt like the ground shook. 

 

Arthur suddenly felt very heavy from his shoulders down. 

 

He watched in astonishment as she lifted the fireball and smashed the fireball at the knife. 

 

There was a crash, an explosion of light and fire. 

 

Arthur averted his gaze, he lowered his face to the ground. Stunned. He felt searing heat on the back of his neck, but he trusted his new Lady, who he was now the loyal servant to. 

 

"I dub thee," he looked up again, as she spoke in a regal voice. His eyes widened in amazement. She was holding a magnificent broadsword aloft where the steak knife had been. 

 

She lowered the sword, which was bejewelled with Ruby's, sapphires and other precious stones and metals. It glistened with glory and looked sharp enough to cut anything. 

 

"Sir Arthur of Windermere," she gently tapped the flat of the sword on each shoulder. "Rise sir Knight… my Knight," Arthur slowly stood and stood face to face with her. 

 

He smiled with honour, but his smile faltered slightly, his lady suddenly looked ever so tired. Her beautiful face was still beautiful but she looked slightly older. There were crow’s-feet on the edges of her eyes. Her cheeks looked slightly more gaunt and her eyes had slightly purple eyebags. 

 

"My radiant Lady Windermere," he bowed. "I thank you for your trust and honour bestowed upon me this night," she gently handed the sword to him, which he graciously accepted and he admired it. 

 

The lady stepped backwards, staggering slightly, and clutched the backrest of her chair, leaning heavily on it. 

 

"My lady," sir Arthur stepped forwards to assist but she politely waved him off. 

 

"I am well, sir Knight. I believe I have just had too much wine. I must get some rest. 

I will look forward to breaking my fast with you in the morning." And with that she slowly walked out of the dining hall. 

 

Her maidens scurried in and quickly whisked Arthur back to his room with his new outfit and magnificent sword. 

 

*

 

Arthur awoke with a chronic headache. He rubbed his forehead and groaned. His throat felt parched. 

 

Then he remembered the events of last night. Or indeed last night's dream, it couldn't possibly be real. 

 

He expected to wake up with his horse next to him somewhere in the wilderness or the moors. 

 

He groaned as he sat up. He looked down his body, he had been undressed. He was in a large room with a four poster bed. 

 

There was a fire still dying down in the fireplace and a bed warmer that was still warm. They must have tended to him through the night. 

 

There was a goblet of water next to him. He downed the contents. 

 

In the corner of his room there was a straw manikin and it was adorned with his new tunic. Stood up against the wall was his new magical sword. 

 

He was amazed. It hadn't been an alcohol infused dream. This was incredible. It was real. 

 

He swung his legs over the bed and got dressed in his new outfit. It renewed him with energy. 

 

Heftng his sword up he slid it into a scabbard on his belt and then started down to the dining hall. 

 

He was greeted by maidens and again the vast table was covered with foods of all different types, cheeses, quails eggs, duck eggs, hen eggs, breads and pastries, fruit and savouries, hams and chutneys. Yoghurts and milks. He was stunned once again. 

 

"Is my lady up?" He asked a maiden. 

 

"Lady Windermere invites you to dine and she will join you later to discuss your quest."

 

"Quest?" Arthur asked with interest. The maiden curtseyed and offered nothing more. She turned and left for the pantry. 

 

Arthur ate his breakfast with vigour and his hangover soon passed him by. 

 

*

 

Arthur strode out in the courtyard of the castle. The sun shone brightly through a dark cloud, causing him to cover his eyes as he walked out to join Lady Windermere. 

 

She was directing her servants to preparing for something. 

 

She turned to greet him warmly. 

 

"Sir Arthur, my dear Knight, good morning. I trust you enjoyed breaking your fast. I do apologise for not being able to join you. I woke up early to commence preparations," 

 

"Good morning, my lady, I trust you slept soundly. I truly enjoyed your company last night and thank you for your wonderful gifts you have bestowed upon me." He bowed deeply, working hard to avoid the tip of his scabbard from scraping in the mud of the courtyard. 

 

"One of your maidens mentioned a quest for me…" he started. 

 

The lady's face darkened. 

 

"Which maiden mentioned the quest?" She asked abruptly. 

 

Arthur spotted her across the courtyard with some other maidens. She was packing some leather sachels and trying to avoid eye contact. 

 

"My lady I do not wish to cause an altercation…"

 

"Sir Knight. I thank you for your honourable intentions but please remember that honesty is another virtue of a true Knight. I trust that you are an honest Knight?" 

 

"Indeed," Arthur bowed his head. He felt humbled by her very presence. "It was that maiden over there my lady. Please do not punish her…"

 

"Seraphim," lady Windermere called to the maiden, who looked up sharply and visibly quivered. The lady merely gave her a piercing stare and gestured to two other maidens. "You've drawn attention to yourself, you can make yourself useful in the stable," she gestured and Seraphim was taken by her elbows and guided into the stables. 

 

Arthur was disconcerted by the look of fear on her face. 

 

Lady Windermere had a tough streak, that was clear. He had better remain on her good side. 

 

"I heard that you lost your horse and your knightly equipment," lady Windermere changed the subject. 

 

She perhaps wasn't aware that his horse was a pack horse, his sword was a rusty thing and his equipment had gone mouldy days before he had arrived at the castle. He wasn't missing much. 

 

"Indeed my lady. My steed has gone missing, I fear I cannot perform my Knightly duties you deserve," 

 

"No matter," lady Windermere focused on the stable building and chanted in her foreign language, she twirled her fingers and twisted and weaved them in the air. 

 

She clapped her hands together and there was a powerful bang and a shock wave. Arthur stumbled back, feeling that he had witnessed more magic in action. 

 

The stable doors opened and two maidens exited leading a beautiful white mare. It had a long mane and tail. It looked perfect, freshly cleaned, it somehow looked familiar to him. 

 

The horse stumbled out uncertainly, initially. 

 

"My thanks, my lady," Arthur applauded her magic. "Incredible, my breath continues to be taken away by your magnificence," he sighed. 

 

Lady Windermere gave a tired but satisfied smile. 

 

Arthur suddenly looked worried. 

 

"My lady," she stumbled slightly and he propped her up under her arms, he bore her weight, which was very light. 

 

"Dear Knight. The magic has drained me, I haven't cast spells for such a long time," she lied, partially. She regularly used magic but these recent spells had indeed taken a toll on her. 

 

Her Life Force Well was empty. 

 

"The magic has tired my body and my soul. Without means to restore my magical well I will look older and more tired to your eyes. I apologise for this," 

 

"Please my lady never apologise. I thank you for your great sacrifice. Is there anything I can do to restore your… magical well?" 

 

Lady Windermere looked at him and her beautiful eyes, surrounded with wrinkles, searched for something. She smiled, seeing his adoration for her in his eyes. 

 

"I need people to be here around me at Castle Windermere sir Knight. I need to have many people around me, their energy helps me to restore my magical well."

 

Arthur considered this, she was probably being quite literal. He had no idea how magic worked. All he knew was that he wanted to please her and return the many favours she had bestowed upon him. It was now his knightly duty to serve her. 

 

He took another breath as the white mare approached. 

 

The leather saddle was magnificent. To its side was affixed a beautiful round shield with the dragon logo on it. The same as his tunic. A head mail armour piece was part of the equipment and a short sword. 

 

"What shall we name her sir Knight? We must name your horse." 

 

Arthur pondered this for a moment. He felt it should be a grand and meaningful name. 

 

"I know, how about Seraphim," lady Windermere suggested, with a wry smile. "Fitting…. considering she revealed your quest don't you agree?" 

 

Arthur nodded eagerly; he looked around briefly for Seraphim. He hadn't seen her leave the stable with the other maidens. 

 

The horse nuzzled him and whinnied loudly. 

 

"She's a spirited one Seraphim. No doubt giving her a good long ride will help even out her spirits," lady Windermere leaned close to the horse's head and peered into its left eye. 

 

The horse's feet trod up and down quickly, she was jumpy. 

Chapter End Notes:

Check out my site for more of this story and others like it, or to show me your support. I welcome your feedback:
https://subscribestar.adult/richardchdavies - note you can join this any time of the month and get a full month subscription