- Text Size +

Sir Arthur immediately reported to Lady Windermere.

He ran to her bedside and held her hand. She looked haggard and worn. She looked like she was on her deathbed.

"My dear Lady," he pressed his forehead against her wrist, a tear rolled down his gaunt cheek. "I have failed you; I have taken too long on my quest…"

"Sir knight…" she rasped. "You return…" she coughed with a crackle in her lungs. "Come closer to me,"

He did so, she gestured him over to bring his face close to hers.

"Dear Knight, bring me two of my new subjects. Bring me two of the most lonely and desperate,"

"My lady?" He asked in surprise. He wasn't quite sure why.

"Please sir Knight, without question," she replied and then drifted off to sleep.

He immediately turned on his tail and picked the most dishevelled of the peasants. Two of them who were sitting on their own shivering in the courtyard whilst others made camp and set about tasks.

He brought them to her room, guiding the uncertain and pitiful things into Lady Windermere's grand chamber; albeit the wind howled through holes in the stone wall.

"Leave us sir Knight," she asked him. He shut the door behind him, leaving the two peasants to look at their new Lady.

He stood guard outside.

He heard a very strange word being uttered.

"Kurczyć!" He heard. He didn't know what it meant. Lady Windermere said it twice, her voice wavering.

He could have sworn he heard tiny screams and shouts for help but it wasn't from her voice, it sounded too distant to him.

He walked the long corridor looking through arrowlets to the outside, he could see no danger. Where did the screams come from? He had no idea.

An hour later the heavy door to Lady Windermere's room creaked open and Sir Arthur turned to behold the most beautiful and radiant woman. His lady was restored in youth, beauty and strength.

She looked upon him.

"My lady!" He spoke with adoration, dropping to his knee. He took her hand in both of his and kissed it. "You are recovered and well? It is miraculous!" He spoke in wonder.

"I am, my brave sir Knight, but only for a while. My magic is hungry for sustenance,"
She spoke to him with a strong voice, a strength he had never heard in her before.

"The peasants my lady," he peered into her chamber. "Where are they?" He asked.

Lady Windermere's eyes flicked briefly to her chamber and then she reached for her door.

"You have restored me, and my power…" she started, with her new voice of power "and for this, I shall allow you to take my hand in marriage," she said.

Sir Arthur nearly bowled over in shock and joy.

"My lady," he remained on his knee. "You give me the greatest honour, when shall we wed?" He asked her.

"Immediately," she spoke with certainty. As her handmaidens appeared to the side and cooed with joy. "We must begin preparations, I will require some more subjects to steady myself with,"

Sir Arthur nodded in agreement.

"Once we are wed you will be my loyal husband and Knight protector, and you will guard not just my body," she guided him to stand. "But also, my most precious secrets," she said and then she embraced him in the most warming and overwhelming kiss.

Stars exploded in Sir Arthur's mind and he was instantly besotted with Lady Windermere, his wife to be.

"I will bring you some subjects my Fiancée," Sir Arthur said and went to his task.

Lady Windermere returned to her chambers and spotted the Crow in her window.

"Aqualisha my dear friend," Lady Windermere called out. "I will bring you some of my new subjects for you to refill your well with,"

The crow squawked excitedly and flew into the room. Lady Windermere spoke some words to gift her some power.

The bird suddenly grew in size and transformed into a beautiful dark-haired woman. She had striking black eyebrows, which arched above her eyes. Her eyes themselves were golden, the colour of an eagles, but soon transformed into a deep blue colour.

"Ember," she spoke in a raspy voice. "I thank you, my dear friend, I have been stuck in avian form for so long I didn't even remember what it is like to walk like a human anymore," she smiled weakly.

Chapter End Notes:

Check out my site for more of this story and others like it, or to show me your support. I welcome your feedback:
https://subscribestar.adult/richardchdavies - note you can join this any time of the month and get a full month subscription I am also open to writing commissions, check it out.