- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

*Worldbuilding*

 

A calm peaceful day for Ruindia, soft fresh breeze and early evening sunlight abundant. For once the up-and-coming town wasn't beset by monsters, marauders, or another king overstepping their reach. Even the supernatural seemed to dismiss this place. Livestock grazed, guards yawned with boredom, and the town's folk were finishing up a work day. Some shopped for trinkets and items. Others, ingredients for a meal, while a few decided it would be a swell day to go out for a bit as a change of pace. After a few more whacks of a wooden mallet, the carpenter stepped back to admire his handiwork.

“And there... That ought to do it!” he said.

“Finally have your place all fixed up from the last attack?” his neighbor called out noticing the fine repair job.

“Yeah! And it didn't even take as long as I expected! Things are really looking up,” he smiled. The carpenter lifted his hat and patted his sweaty forehead with a handkerchief, putting farmer-tanned strong arms on display. “Whew, now that I have my own home fixed upright, I can start helping the others that need some good ol' TLC.”

“Good to hear! I'm glad you have a heart to help others. But don't overwork yourself, there will always be more fixing to be done. Hey, tell you what... After dinner, I think we should head down to the Chipped Mug... Drinks on me! I need an excuse to celebrate!” the neighbor beamed.

“Well, that's awfully kind of you, how could I say no?”

That tavern just down the street, now busier than ever. People grabbing dinner, dancing, and mingling. Music rang out from mediocre musicians but at least they're trying. Cards, arm wrestling, and of course plenty of drinks flowing. Early enough in the day none were too rowdy yet. A short older man saddled up to the bar on a mission. The lovely corset-clad bartender approached her best customer.

“Fine day to ya Mirabelle, get me the usual please, and thank you.” the white-haired man said.

“Fergus, honey... you drink everything in here. That hardly narrows it down,” she chuckled.

“That's a fair point. How's this, what is the most recently tapped keg you got?”

“Just opened a Green River Pale. Hows that strike your fancy hun?” Mirabelle asked.

“Little late in the day for breakfast, don't ya think?” He stroked his white beard. “If I may, what was before that?”

“Our Maple Barley Stout, but you are gunna say it's too early for dessert.” She winked.

“I am gunna say that, but then take one anyway. Thank ya dear.”

Just across the street, the last satisfied customer picked up repaired armor from the well-known blacksmith's shop, Iron it Out.

“I can't even tell it was damaged! Thank you so much, Rodrick.” the tall adventurer complimented.

“Of course! You know I got to give my customers the best. If you guys die out there it's bad business for me.” The two muscular men gave a hardy laugh at the joke. “Oh, and do keep a look out for workable silver out there. Everybody is selling to other towns, but don't know I have much better prices,” Rodrick said. The adventurer's face lit up with disbelief.

“Really? I will absolutely get the word out. Though you really should move. This place isn't good enough for you. Not a man of your talent.”

“Awe shucks, you give me too much credit. But I don't know, I can't help but...” he looked around at the town. “I just have a good feeling about this place.”

Just another average day all right... And nobody felt the first tremors. First, the cows and goats noticed. Numerous barnyard animals started calling and crying out. Soon after, several dogs began whimpering and then barking in agitation. The town had been through enough that they knew what the first warning signs looked like. With no clue what soon would beset the town, only that whatever it may be, most likely did not have kind intentions. Tension washed over the good vibes. The peaceful day turned sour faster than a snap. Ice flowed through everyone's veins. Animals broke into even more ruckus.

Shouts and warnings filled the air. Many calling for people to seek cover were possible, others rallying able bodies to take up arms. Farmers and keepers trying to calm and secure their pets and livestock. Those on horseback experienced resistance as their beast of burden began whinnying, spooked by this unknown occurrence. Confusion overtook the town, everything changed once the second round of tremors were felt by all. People looked around in desperation, returning to their homes in a panic. Guards drew weaponry, while volunteer locals turned militia, and took up anything that could offer protection. Stumbling outside of the tavern, drink still in hand Fergus peered around with his good eye. Laying a hand on his shoulder, Mirabelle stood in the doorway. The bartender wore enough worry to sink a ship.

“Fergus, this... it's not safe to be out here. Come on, let's get to the cellar,” she said while tugging at his shirt.

“Aye, you're probably right, I just wondered if...” he trailed off. The shorter stout gentleman with a heavy eye patch, balding head, and impressive mane of white beard that obscured everything from his nose to pot belly was the first to see. Good eye squinting, a familiar head and torso could be seen. Incredibly far away, rising over the multi-green tree line and obscured by atmosphere... there she was.

“What in the gods... what's that over... is that Astrid?” He raised his mug up and pointed towards the growing thief off in the distance. Taking a quick moment to see where his finger led to, Mirabelle saw her too.

“That is... That is Astrid! But... I don't, I don't understand. What am I looking at?” she asked.

“Shes...” he hiccuped, “Shes massive...”

Finally, everybody in the area saw the impossible Vista. Dozens of individuals also pointed, the puzzled murmurs rippling throughout the town. Some held the question if she in fact is what caused the earthquakes they were feeling... And they quickly had an answer. The unstable thief shifted position and her mighty foot came down flattening a mountain. Everyone watched the spectacle unfold and held their breath at the inevitable. The delay was pronounced. Everyone a statue for a long time before finally the earth shook rather violently underfoot.

“My gods, she's so far away yet... look at how big she is!” a nervous woman cried out. Everyone in town grew more panicked as they saw her growing even larger.

Including the shining maroon eyes of a certain horned individual. Except her demeanor remained calm and unaffected by this turn of events. Black dress far too skimpy for normal attire adorned this creature. Curves like a myth, sleek silky long black hair accentuated her crimson skin. The succubus turned her head upon seeing the giantess.

“Sister, look over here. Is that Astrid?” she asked.

“What are you saying? You're too far away.”

“Hurry up and finish your makeup already! And get your ass out here!”

“If the world is going to end again, I'm going to look good.” The twin sauntered out of the house, hips swaying and thin tail drifting back and forth. She also looked up at the sight. The Sin Sisters stood still a beat, the rest of the town in complete dismay.

“By the gods that has to be Astrid, I mean, doesn't it?” the second asked.

“And judging by these tremors, I would say that's not an illusion.”

“Mmmmm~ I would love to explore her at that size, wouldn't you?”

“Oh my fucking gods yes... But I don't think she would be too fond of seeing us again.”

“What? Nah... I bet she doesn't even remember us.”

Eyes all over town looked about and folks began to question what they should actually attempt in this situation.

“What do we do?!” a guard looked to his captain. “Captain? What in the realms do we do?”

“Pray,” was the only word she spoke. Another aftershock sent the church bell ringing even if it didn't want to. Individuals watched in horror seeing the colossal titan lose her senses and tumble. When her mighty body landed, all hung silent. A landscape worth of dirt and rock splashed up around the fallen giantess. The shock-wave kicked up dust and snow immediately around her... but it rippled away from the impact. Shouts rang out once more with frenzied emotion.

“Everybody seek cover!”

“Seek Shelter!”

“Get to cellars!”

“Run for your lives!” Individuals scrambled, while some stood transfixed. Minds broke between fight or flight, witnessing the impossible had paralyzed them. Each second a storm of debris and sound clawed closer and closer. The force sending up trees, large amounts of vegetation, and an entire riverbed, all raced towards Ruindia. Those who were unfortunate enough to see the impending doom, even if in shelter, braced for impact at the wall of devastation rocketing towards them.

Finally hitting the town, Armageddon spared none. Barns and sheds collapsed. Carts and barrels went tumbling rapidly. The structures that did manage to hold their ground most lost the battle to the next contender. Ground swelled, and the very earth turned liquid, rising high and falling as the stampede of destruction flowed outward. The sounds of breaking trees and crumpling buildings deafened the poor populace. All replaced by a surviving stillness. Dust hanging in the air, water draining from broken vessels, and items taking time to settle after becoming dislodged abruptly.

 After a good long while, the carpenter opened his eyes. Finding his hat pinned under a wooden plank, he retrieved it. The groan of his neighbor hit his ringing ears. Staggering over he helped the injured man up.

“Easy... easy... I got you.”

“Thanks,” the neighbor wheezed. Both leaning on each other, they blinked at all the dust invading their stinging eyes. Most of the town now lay in ruin. The Carpenter quickly threw a glance at his home. The wall he had completed stood intact. Hobbling over closer to his home, his heart sank. That wall may have stood, but the rest of his house had collapsed once again. Sounds of echoing aftershocks found the pair and they pivoted to a new dilema. A grand distance away, black stockings rose higher than any mountain in existence. Racing across the ground and then splashing over the town, was a dark shadow of this impending nightmare. Because it continued getting bigger. The foot stretched slowly across the terrain effortlessly, threatening the town if nothing changed relatively soon. The carpenter swallowed hard, and placed his hat over his heart at the looming disaster.

“May the gods... have mercy on us all...”


 

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you so much for your patience on this one, plenty more is coming I promise. All of my Patreons got this early, and you can join us too! https://www.patreon.com/slogro 
The next chapters, we will really dive into the story and I'm so excited to share with all of you, take care everybody ^^