- Text Size +
Story Notes:


Friday evening, 1 hour post-WSE

The TV is currently showing the logo of a local broadcasting station. Theme music is playing in the background. The logo fades to reveal a female newscaster, who gathers her notes and smiles to the camera as she prepares to speak.

BREAKING NEWS: A new phenomenon has just taken place. Reports are coming in from all over the world claiming that people have shrunk in size. Videos circulating online show people growing shorter in seconds, losing almost all of their height due to what is now dubbed the World Shrinking Event, or WSE for short. We have no credible information on what may have caused this incident, but theories spreding online cite, among a long list of possibilities, government action against overpopulation, alien space lasers, solar flares and dark magic rituals.

A hand appears from offscreen, palm upturned, a miniature man standing on it. The newscaster holds out her palm and the man walks onto it. She carefully carries him over to the newsdesk and lets him step onto it, smiling proudly the whole time.

As you can see, our own Jerry has experienced firsthand the effects of the WSE. (Isn't he cute?) Please, Jerry, tell me how you feel and what life's been like for the past few hours. She grabs a spare lapel mic from nearby and holds it infront of Jerry.

"I can't explain to you how weird this feels, Gina. It happened so suddenly: One second I'm standing upright, then boom! I'm flat on the floor, looking up at everyone. This is such a new perspective and a wonderful experience. You notice more of the the little details hiding in plain sight all around us. It feels as if I'm in another world."

Thank you, Jerry. Well, that's all we have time for today. We'll be back with more information on this developing situation.

Cheers from the audience can be heard as the screen fades into the station logo. Theme music plays in the background.

"Five, four, three, two, one, aaand cut! OK, we're done; let's pack everything up quickly so we can go home." At the cameraman's announcement, Gina lets out a long sigh, relieved that the workday is over. She looks down at me, and I can almost see the love in her gigantic eyes. She places a fingertip on my head and moves it acros my head, forth and back, ruffling my hair. She strokes me as a young girl might stroke a kitten. "Things are definitely going to be different when we get home.", she breathes. "Well, the faster we get out of here, the sooner tge weekend begins!" She places her thumb and finger on either dide of my midsection and gently lifts me up. It feels like an elevator ride. She deposits me into the breast pocket of her formal jacket, and I lean back against her chest. The flesh bends under my few grams of body weight, like a soft mattress. Her heartbeat thumps faintly behind me. This shrinking thing is such an amazing experience. Gina and I have known each other for years, and yet I am closer to her now than ever before.