- Text Size +
Emily finished stacking the sandwiches on the shelves and stood up to go about her other duties. She had just got done in time. It was nearly time for the lunch hour rush.

Longham was noticing that the shop around him was becoming much busier. ‘Not good news for me’, he thought. At that moment, a woman came towards the shelves he was on. She looked Chinese, about 25 and wore a pair of jeans and a tight black top. Longham suddenly had a thought of this woman taking a bite into him and an involuntary inner shudder went through his mind. There had to be a way out of here.

The woman reached out her hand towards the shelves. It looked to Longham as if she were eyeing him. But then she reached up and took a carton from just above him. Relief surged over him. But he knew as he watched the woman walk away from him (nice ass by the way, he couldn’t help noticing) that it would soon be his turn.

***
Abigail, an attractive 26 year old blonde, worked in a nearby office building. She and the other girls who worked in her department took it in turns to go down to the shop to fetch lunch. Today was her turn. She’d just finished taking down everyone’s choices for the day and was walking towards the elevator. There were four others in her department, Ellen – the new girl in the office and the youngest at 21, a rather cute brunette, Natasha, 28, Russian and also blonde, Elaine, an overweight 30 year old brunette, and Joanna, a fiery 25 year old red head.

Abigail pressed the button for the lobby. She was headed for that shop on the corner that sold those good sandwiches. She re-read the list she’d made. 1 pate. 2 egg mayo. And 2 cheese salad.

***
Longham was starting to panic. He’d been trapped in this carton, sitting on this shelf for what seemed like forever (though the rational part of his mind told him it couldn’t have been that long), he was starting to feel claustrophobic (even though he’d realized by now he didn’t need to breath any more) and any moment, some woman was going to buy him and eat him for her lunch! This is insane, he told himself.

Just then, a dark haired lady of maybe 38 years old wearing a dark business suit entered his field of vision. She was talking on a cell phone, though he had no idea what she was saying. Probably to do with the packaging, he figured. She seemed to be pondering her choice carefully. Her hand was coming closer. Closer. Then at the last moment, she grabbed the sandwich just next to his carton and walked away.

Longham’s already frayed nerves couldn’t take much more of this.