- Text Size +
Some time had passed, and Longham was started to wish some chick would just buy him and get it over with, the waiting was getting too much for him. He was already sorely regretting his corrupt dealings, but he was sure he’d come to regret them even more in time. He’d had a number of further near misses, just now a schoolgirl of about 16 had almost bought him, and just after that a cute brunette had nearly made him her lunch.

Just as he caught himself wishing again that it would just happen, it did. A young blonde woman in smart business clothes picked him up and put him in her basket. At first, he was almost relieved; at least the woman who did it was attractive. But then he saw a number of other sandwich cartons in there with him, obviously she was also buying lunch for a number of other women. His uncertain wait was not over yet.

He felt his carton being put on a conveyor belt, and a moment later a pretty checkout girl scanning him and putting him in a bag. The other cartons were put in with him and the blonde picked it up and off she went. It seemed like it was some time before the woman put the bag down again. Longham heard the noises of traffic, then a door opening, an elevator, and finally the sounds of an office, phones ringing, people talking, computers humming.

The woman put her hand in the bag, took out a carton and threw it to one of her co workers. Then another. Then she put one on her desk, and it was just Longham’s carton and one other in the bag.

It was at that moment he heard her voice call out “Now who was it who wanted the cheese salad ones?”