- Text Size +

Nickolas shouted until his throat felt like it would bleed but no amount of shouting would awake the unconscious Ann. Not knowing what else to do Nickolas gathered some fire wood and set up camp near his downed friend. “Tomorrow I’ll wake up and she’ll be fine. She heals fast and she’s survived this long, a little poison wouldn’t kill her…would it?” After a fitful night of sleep Nickolas awoke praying that he’d see Ann up and about. No such sight greeted his eyes she lay in the same spot she’d fallen.  As he walked closer a quiet moan escaped her lips, and Nickolas could see that she was soaked in sweat. Nickolas looked at Ann and calmly felt her face she was burning up.  “Ann I’m going to leave you for a little while I’m going into town and I’ll be back with a doctor, I’ll get help just hold in there,” Nickolas shouted.  Nickolas nearly ran the whole way to town, he frantically asked the first person he saw where the town’s doctor lived. He rushed into the doctor’s home and breathlessly asked to see the doctor.  A short middle aged man walked through the door turned to Nickolas and said, “I’m doctor Hemlock how can I help you boy.” Finding his voice Nickolas explained that his friend was hurt and probably poisoned out in the woods. Hemlock looked at Nickolas and asked, “If I was to go help this friend of yours how would you be paying for my services young man.” Nickolas looked in disbelief at the doctor and quietly said, “I don’t have any money so I can’t pay you, please help her anyway, I’ll work it off or something. Please just help her.” The doctor turned and walked out of the room he called to his housekeeper, “Please show this young man the way out.” He stood outside the doctor’s house in shock staring at the closed door in silence.  As he walked back toward the woods someone pulled him into an open doorway. A young woman closed the door behind him looked him in the eyes and said, “I’ll help your friend for no pay, I’m medically trained I’m sure I can help. Don’t say anything just lead the way, oh and my name is Mary.” Nickolas quickly left the house and he and Mary headed into the woods.

Right before Ann came into sight Nickolas stopped and turned to Mary, “About my friend she’s a little different than most people she won’t hurt you though. Just promise me here that you’ll try and help her no matter what,” Nickolas pleaded. Mary looked him in the eyes and said, “I promise I’ll do my best.” Nickolas brought Mary right next to Ann without her realizing she was next to her patient. Mary looked confused and asked, “Where’s your friend at?” Before she could say another word a giant hand smashed into the ground next to her. Ann had turned over and simply let her hand slide of herself and land on the ground. Mary stood staring at the hand and at the giant girl in front of her frozen in awe and fear. Shaking off her fear Mary turned and ran, Nickolas reached out and grabbed her as she tried to run past him.  He looked Mary in the eyes and said, “This IS my friend her name is Ann she really needs help and you gave me your word, please.” Surprisingly Mary took a deep breath and walked up to Ann who was laying on her back. Without a word Mary grabbed hold of Ann’s clothes and began to climb. As she reached the top of Ann she hiked towards her face and stopped on Ann’s chest. She laid down and listened to Ann’s heart then stood up and shouted down to Nickolas. “What’s her name again? Ann right?” turning away from Nickolas she shouted “Ann I need you to look at me ok?” Ann tipped her head up and looked directly at Mary. “Follow me with your eyes ok Ann,” Mary advised. Ann followed Mary’s every movement with her eyes then looked directly at her and said, “You’re a very strange little bug…bugs don’t talk where I come from.” With that statement Ann’s head fell back to the ground and she remained quiet. Mary climbed down walked over to the giant hand resting on the ground and pulled an arrow from it. She carefully examined the arrow smelled it and turned to face Nickolas. “It’s a very strong poison there is an antidote but there’s not enough of it in our world to make the dose she would need. Her heart sounds strong and the fever proves she’s fighting the poison. All we can do is make her comfortable and hope she’s strong enough to fight through it. They both turned and stared at the massive sleeping form in front of them.