- Text Size +
After finding a safe place a good distance from where they began the pair settled down to sleep.  The swirling stars in the sky and gentle sounds of Nickolas’s snoring put Ann at ease and coaxed her into a deep slumber. As Ann slept she did something she rarely did, she began to dream. In her dream she was with Nickolas and they were kissing, she could feel his lips against hers like a gentle breeze. When she opened her eyes at the end of the kiss she was surrounded by flames and destroyed buildings and she was holding Nickolas. He was screaming in agony as she slowly applied pressure around his body and crushed him until he no longer cried out or moved. She was crying out inside her mind to stop but her body wanted only to kill. She awoke breathing heavily, drenched in sweat with tears streaming down her face.  Nickolas lay still snoring a short distance away, Ann stared at his tiny form and realized for the first time that she longed to be more then friends, that she was faithfully and devotedly in love with him. She was also terrified that one day she may hurt him either on purpose or accidently. “How can I be in love with him, we aren’t even the same species. He’d never love me I’m huge, its not even fair to think these thoughts. Even if he did love me I’d out live him by eons, and I could never give him a normal life, a home, a family. Things I’m denying him now by just keeping him with me. The monks had their legend, If a man doth touch the goddesses lips a curse upon his head shall sit, the nectar of the gods is forbidden to thee, love between a man and goddess shall never be,” Ann thought to herself as she stared into the heavens.