- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Its been a long time, hoping to get this story moving and wrapped up soon.
Nickolas awoke to the cheerful chirps and songs of the birds, it had finally cleared up and the blue sky and bright sun had begun to dry the water logged ground. He sat up and turned to see Ann struggling to light a ridiculously miniscule, at least to her scale, fire. He couldn’t help but laugh at her even though he knew her in vain struggles were for his sake alone. At the sound of his laughter Ann turned to look at him and with a frustrated frown exclaimed, “Darn you woke up before I got it lit, well since you’re up already do you want to take over.” Nickolas apologetically smiled up at her and sat down to start the fire. In a matter of minutes his seasoned hands had produced a roaring blaze. As Nickolas went about his morning tasks he noticed that Ann was deep in thought over some internal issue, he thought about asking her what was on her mind but decided against it, if she wanted him to know she would bring it up herself.  As the day neared its close in an easy and uneventful matter Ann looked at Nickolas and quietly spoke. “Do you like this life Nickolas, I mean wouldn’t you rather live in a village or town and have a farm or trade or something. You know meet a girl and raise a family, be normal?” She waited a moment and continued, “I mean we can still be friends I’ll keep moving but I’d come back now and again and we could visit. This life is hard and its not fair to you, not to mention dangerous for you too. You don’t have to answer me now but I really want you to think about this, at least consider it overnight and give me your answer when your ready, I think I’m going to go to sleep early tonight, good night.” After saying what she thought needed saying Ann laid down and quickly fell asleep. Nickolas laid awake for hours staring at the heavens, his mind racing. He wondered why Ann would ask him something like that had he made her mad at some point was she tired of him tagging along? He couldn’t think of anything he had done and she seemed troubled and uncomfortable with what she had proposed. Eventually he came to the conclusion that she simply cared about him and wanted him to be safe and happy. She just wanted him to have the kind of life she could never have, a normal one. Nickolas felt a pang in his heart for Ann, and he suddenly realized he felt something for himself as well. The thought of life without Ann was deeply painful for him to imagine. As he gazed at the stars above him he gasped in shock at the realization that he had fallen in love with Ann. The walls he’d built to protect himself had been breached by her kindness. He was in love with someone who he could never physically love but none of that seemed to matter. It was a love that was unfair and something he would probably never share with Ann. She couldn’t possibly feel the same for him he was too insignificant, to her he was only a blink of an eye compared with her lifetime. In the morning Nickolas decided that he would ask her if he could stay and tell her that his mind was made up but that’s all he would tell her.