- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Meet Dr. Kevin Donovan- the antagonist of the novel and Rick finds a way out of his relationship with his girlfriend.
Later that day, Professor Kevin Donovan was working at the Perlman Physics Lab. A terribly underfunded laboratory, but with great minds such as his, it managed to do alright for itself. Donovan is tall- around 6’4. He was misanthropic by nature, but truly brilliant. Donovan’s speciality is quantum mechanics. His latest study was something crazy, in fact its origins were from a frat party. He kind of felt bad for the Perlman administration in that respect, many other universities would have told him to not waste his time on something so impossible. Thankfully this is looking to be less impossible...
Perlman, a new and lucky university, has been rising slowly.. very slowly though. Donovan wanted to see if he could manipulate atoms.. this would be a terrifying weapon if it worked. It would only be second to nuclear warfare.. Donovan was the only scientist who put a lot of effort into it. That didn’t matter to him.. his narrow-minded colleagues wouldn’t be able to stand his narrow-minded self anyway.
He had one faithful assistant, a young intern, named Amy Chipper, who was a graduate student at Ohio University. Amy is often like her last name, but working with Donovan has watered down that tendency a bit. Amy was spending a semester in Perlman on his crazy experiment. She believed that if this was going to get her a top research job after she gets her P.H.D.. then it was all worth it. Amy didn’t mind the weeks of isolation though.. most of the people at Perlman weren’t even worth talking to. Most were either potheads, dumb jocks, or elitists of average intelligence. Amy was currently working on a design for the machine which would fit this concept.

Professor Donovan called out, “Amy! I hope this time you have an appropiate design...” Amy responded, “Professor Donovan! I tried my best.. please don’t be disappointed.” Donovan sneered, “I have been told you are the one of the best who wanted to do this job.. but of course the brightest minds from my alma mater laughed and poked at me for my idea..” Amy said, “Um.. I found your idea to be kind of funny too, sir.” Donovan said, “Just show me the goddamn design.” Donovan looked at it..it had a 5’ by 5’ square base, a 4’ high cylinder and a long rotating ray which surrounded a metal rod, which controlled the ray’s height. Donovan said, “This will actually do.. it is not so big that the charge will be lost and not too small that it will be too weak. Good job, Ms. Chipper.” Amy smiled and said, “Thank you, Professor Donovan.” Donovan said, “Now, I understand that I have said you would be working with me for a semester, but I pretty much don’t have anything else for you to do. I will write you a letter of recommendation once you are looking for jobs and please get the hell out of here.. any more time in this place and your spirit will be broken!” Amy said, “Oh really? Are you sure?” Donovan said, “I have never been more sure of anything else in my life, Amy!”Amy said, “But.. I don’t have any classes till January, what do I do till then?” Donovan said, “I dunno.. drink beer, trash your house, whatever it is these college kids do.. if you need any advice on the matter, you can call my son, he’s a sophomore at Perlman.” Amy said, “It’s alright.. I don’t think I could.” Donovan laughed, “I was just implying that my son has lived more than you have and you are four years the elder! Now go! You have spent way too much time here..” Amy then left and said, “I hope your theory works, Professor Donovan.”

A talk with the girlfriend.. geez.. in her own dorm room. If her roommate is there, I swear that I would just flirt with her right in front of my girlfriend. I don’t think the roommate would mind. I haven’t drank any alcohol in six days.. just to please my stupid girlfriend. It’s over and I don’t care what she says!

Chester said, “Yo dude.. what are your plans tonight?” I replied, “I’m visiting Holly and I’m gonna stick some Ayn Rand up her ass.” Chester laughed and said, “Sure.. we all know that in Soviet Perlman, hotness control you!” I said, “Wanna go with me?” Chester said, “No way.. I spent a lot of money on this guitar. See ya later dude!” Chester was right of course, that was the only reason why I was staying with her..

I take the 5 minute walk, obsessively looking for left-behind goodies. All I could find was a smashed beer can.. I wasn’t even going to bother checking that. It started to rain as I approached the house.. damn it, this could be the worst night of my life!

I go up to the third floor and knock on the door. There is Holly, standing there and smiling. When she smiled, she looked like a goddess.. but no, I had to remember, she was my enemy now!
I ask, “Yo Holly.. how has your day been?”
Holly replies, “Alright, I guess. I got a fresh manicure and pedicure at the salon nearby.”
I laughed, “What happened to classes! Haha!”
Holly said, “I only had about an hour of classes today.. do the math.”
I said, “All the math in the world got me here!”
Holly said, “We have been dating for six months now, I want to know you better as a person.”
I said, “What the fuck does that even mean? Come on, think about what you just said for a minute! It’s not like I’ve been putting on a show for you or anything like that.”
Holly said, “I know.. but you get what I mean.”
I laugh, “No, seriously. I’m confused. John Walter says it’s because I don’t believe in a god. However, believing in a god still makes me confused and I don’t know why. Mr. Walter is so smart too.”
Holly replied, “Maybe if you would stop your habits, you would find your own path.”
I said, “What habits? One’s habits are another’s hobbies. Why should I give up my passions in life? Wouldn’t that make me despondent and lost, I would be so confused and sad and I’ll make John Walter shit in his pants and from what I understand, shit doesn’t smell very good.”
Holly scowled, “Can’t you just take me seriously for one minute?? I want to spend more time with you, I really want to get to know the real you.”
I said, “Well, I have been showing you the real me for six months. I run on drugs and I plan to keep it that way.”
Holly said, “Um.. but that’s not the way to be, you can get into so much trouble for that.”
I then said, “I’ve been on this path since the 7th grade.. I got arrested twice since then and I’m still here. Nothing that bad is going to happen, I’m telling you babe.”
Holly said, “That’s horrible! You have some issues...”
I said somewhat irritated, “If I’m too tough for ya, that’s it! I’m breaking up with you. I’m a very desirable man.. I can get any chick on this campus and you know that too. All you ever did was see me as a fucking status symbol and now you want to be the one who reforms that symbol.. it is your ticket to fame on this stupid campus. I have you figured out easily and I want you to keep your little puzzle as a theory. Goodbye!”

I just thought up of all of that on the top of my head..if she thinks she can change me though, then damn her! I felt like a jerk though when I heard her crying. Holly was crying and sniffing like I was entirely in the wrong.. she said, “I’m sorry Rick.. I just thought I could do a few things that would make you happier in life.. I just wanted you to be with me and this is what I get!”

The game of guilt.. damn it! I bolted out of there before I changed my mind. I rationalized, just because she gets a little tipsy so her friends won’t leave her, and I do it since I like it.. the whole world goes against me!

Kevin Donovan drove back to his apartment. These days, he lived alone. Kevin took a beer from the fridge as a pat on a back for a job well done. Five years ago, it was him, his wife, and his two sons. He hasn’t seen either of them in a few months.. when they visit, they stay with his wife, Nora. His kids were practically science experiments. He took an authoritative and cold style with his two kids, gave them the feeling that nothing was ever good enough. Both were probably on par with him intellectually, but no way Kevin was going to admit that. His kids reacted differently. The first one always studied and filled himself up with activites all the time, he was Valedictorian with a perfect test score and escaped by going to MIT. The second one made sure to stay away from home as much as possible, he spent all of his high school years playing. His grades were down the gutter and Kevin was very apathetic about that.. if he was like the first one, he would have made a big deal about how the second one only scored forty points below the first on the SAT. Got him into Perlman and Chicago.. Kevin promised to only have four beers.. that number quickly changed to fourteen. He passed out.

I ran out and my first plan was to text my three best buddies.. I told them “Party at Carter’s..”. Luckily for me, Holly lived right near Carter’s. The bad news was that the rain was still going on and I didn’t have an umbrella with me. Good thing, yet again, it was a minute walk. I walked in with a feeling of relief, no longer did I have to worry that Holly would be upset by my actions.
I walk in and immediately head towards the punch bowl table. I see a guy and a girl kissing right on the table. At least, it’s not getting in the way of it. I see some of my drinking buddies Steve, Luke, Rhonda, and Edna. None of them were dating each other.. many thought it was a strange co-ed drinking group, but I liked them.
Luke said, “Hey.. it’s been kinda strange not seeing you at these parties the past week, what happened?”
Edna responded, “The only possibility, I believed, was that you finally transferred out of here.”
I laughed, “No, no.. still a.. whatever the fuck our team is called.. the Ants.. or something gay like that.. haha! Yea, I’m making up for some lost time.”
Steve was looking at his cell phone and said, “Yo Rick! I’m sorry about the breakup you had with Holly but her roommate Amber is coming to this party.”
I said, “Haha! She’s gonna make this party a hell lot more fun!”
Rhonda whispered, “I’d watch out buddy.. from what I hear, she controls the man, not the man controls the woman.”
I whispered, “I think you’re ahead of me on those drinks.. haha! But I don’t mind, I like a challenge here and there.” I smile with anticipation and chug those drinks faster.
Out of the fifteen girlfriends I’ve had since the 7th grade, I don’t think I ever asked any out without being completely out of my mind with drunkeness. Everybody has a technique, that is mine. Even Saint Holly fell in love with my antics.

Right now, Amber simply knows me as the guy who helps her in Physics but has a lower grade than her since he doesn’t bother to hand in the problem sets, Perlman tests are cake though...they’ll bring me up to at least a B+ overall without any work.

Steve whispers, “Psst.. Rick.. I slept with Amber before.. she’s overrated.”
I attempt to punch his arm, feeling the cool air, and say, “Shut up..”
Steve said, “At least you are in the right state to have fun.”

Amber walks into the house alone. She’s a brunette who obviously spends a lot of time trying to look good. She seems taller than usual since she is wearing 4’ heels. Amber is short but has DD’s, which are real by the way.
Amber squeals, “What have I missed!! I’m so happy that there still is some vodka here!” She runs over to the bowl, a little tipsy already, and fills a whole glass.

I head towards the bowl and say, “We can probably finish this up pretty quickly, what do you say?” Amber says, “Of course. However, I think you misused a pronoun.. the sentence is going to be “I can probably finish this up pretty quickly.”.” I said, “Whatever you say.. you don’t even know who you’re talking to.” Amber said, “Yea, I do. Sweetie Varrick, the guy who let his girlfriend take him to an AA meeting.. if you were serious, you wouldn’t have attended.” I said, “But it’s kind of hard to compete with her.. I can only think of a few girls who can compete with Holly in bed.” Amber asked, “Like who?” I said, “Well, there is Leia, the foreign exchange student from France. She’s pretty cute. You can’t forget Ellie, a babe and a sweetie, she will practically do anything a guy asks her to. And there is..”
Amber said, “Hey! Ask just about any guy on campus! Leia is probably ridded with STD’s and Ellie.. well she’s not as cute when you take the beer goggles off.”
I said, “Dunno what’s that like! I always have them on.. I think I win this competition, unless you believe everything that people tell you.”
Amber laughed and said, “You know what.. I kind of see why things are going to work out the way they are going to.”
I said, “If we go to the same psychic.. we are both probably so fucked up.”
Amber said, “Ohh.. I’m not sure if this is who you are talking about, but Holly tells me that I’m going to be a fucking failure and I don’t like that at all.. it’s not like she’s a teetotaler or anything like that.”
I said, “Hmm.. maybe we can be fucking failures together.. emphasize the first f word!”
Amber and I have a few more drinks and then we go upstairs.