- Text Size +

As Susie and Emma were adjusting to their new lives, they were also very much aware of the impact their appearance had around the world. A few weeks after Emma had arrived, she and Susie had appeared in dozens of commercials, short films, interviews and the like. Barton was declared the official ‘Giantess Capital of the World’, as the welcoming sign on the highway proudly advertised. Critics of this decision have argued that the title isn’t gender-neutral, and thus sexist, but everyone else didn’t seem to care. Besides, if there were any male giants out there, the chances that they would also come and live in this nondescript American town were slim.

 

Emma couldn’t attend the normal school, for obvious reasons, so she had to study at home. But she visited the school, and the town, whenever she could, and gradually made a whole lot of new friends. Once her own house was completed, it quickly became a favourite spot for birthday parties, sleepovers, and other fun events. Susie, meanwhile, could now spend more time with Jake and her own friends, but she and Emma still spent lots of fun hours together, and she kept her promise of teaching Emma how to swim.

 

At the end of October, the girls received a special invitation. For one day only, they would have the chance of flying to Washington, D.C., see the city, and meet the President. Two supersized cargo planes were waiting at the airport for them, and, naturally, they lost no time in accepting. Susie chose to wear her special red dress, and she got up before sunrise to begin getting herself ready. When she’d finished bathing and had done her hair and make-up she went to check on Emma. The younger giantess had put on a beautiful blue dress and was busy tying her hair with ribbons.

 

“You’d better hurry,” Susie reminded her. “The planes take off at seven o’clock.”

 

“I’m done!” Emma declared, and waited for Susie to tell her how beautiful she looked. “You think we should take some food with us? It’s going to be a long day…”

 

“I know, but you don’t have to worry about that. My dad told me they’ve got more than enough food over there. He’s been preparing the airport for our arrival, and the city, too!”

 

“Wow, sounds like he’s been really busy lately. You should spoil him sometime, Susie; do something to say thank you, you know?”

 

“I’m planning to, just waiting for the right time. Okay, now we really have to go, or else we’ll never see Washington in a day.”

 

They left the house and set off down the road to the town’s small airport. It was quite a long distance, but they walked swiftly, and arrived a few minutes before seven. Emma was quite used to flying already, but it was a new and strange experience for Susie. The cargo plane’s aft doors were lowered, and she had to get down on her hands and knees and crawl inside. Then she had to find the least uncomfortable position, and remain that way for several hours. A few Air Force personnel accompanied her in the cargo compartment, in case of an emergency, though Susie couldn’t imagine what use they’d be when something bad happened.

 

At last the cramped and somewhat disconcerting flight ended, and Susie began to count the seconds after the plane landed. It was becoming unbearably hot in here, and she felt sorry for the Air Force men, who had to contend with the immense amount of body heat she gave off. Then the doors began to lower, and bright daylight entered the cargo bay. Emma knelt down and peeked inside.

 

“We’re here!” she announced, sounding just as happy as Susie that the flight was over. “Come and look, Susie! It’s amazing!”

 

She crawled out of the plane and onto the runway at Reagan National Airport. They had landed in a particularly quiet section of the airport, as there were no other large airplanes in their vicinity. But there were lots and lots of people. Compared to the vast crowds that were assembled here today, the multitude of reporters, who had gathered at the lake on her first day after going public, seemed quite restrained. Police and military personnel were everywhere, trying to maintain order, but they had clearly underestimated their guests’ popularity.

 

“Whoa!” Susie exclaimed, taking in the spectacle before her. “I had no idea we were such celebrities!”

 

“What do we do?” Emma asked, confused. “I hope we don’t have to, you know, go and meet all those people.”

 

They were still standing there, uncertain and a bit scared, when they heard a car horn honking at their feet. They looked down and saw a small jeep, and in it were General Earle and Susie’s father. The general raised a megaphone to his mouth and addressed the giant girls.

 

“Welcome to Washington, ladies! Looks like you got quite a reception, doesn’t it? I don’t know how the facts concerning your arrival were made public, but what’s done is done. The important thing is that we get you into the city quickly and safely. You’ll be heading north, across one of the bridges that we’ve closed off for you. Just follow the jeep, we’ll show you the way. Once we reach East Potomac Park, you can relax, and Mr. Adams here will explain the rest of the day’s activities.”

 

“Will the President be there?” Emma asked excitedly.

 

“No, no, no! The President, along with several other world leaders, will be meeting you at the Washington Monument at 14:00. They…why don’t you just follow us, and we’ll explain to you how it works later?”

 

The girls nodded, and began to walk after the steadily moving jeep. Susie looked across the river and saw the gleaming pinnacle of the Washington Monument in the distance. It was the first time she’d been away from home, and to call her nervous would be an understatement. She walked a little closer to Emma and took the little girl’s hand.

 

“Scared?” she whispered, softly enough so that no-one else could hear her.

 

“You bet,” Emma whispered back. “But I’m hoping it will be a good day. I’d like to remember it that way.”

 

 “Oh, I think it will be,” Susie said, and they stepped over the gate of the airport and began to follow the road.