- Text Size +

CHAPTER 1: NOSTALGIA

The scene was more or less what I had expected.  There was little evidence that anyone had lived here at all, much less that there was a band of witches who were taking captive tiny men who were forced to worship them as giant goddesses.  Two weeks had passed since the three of us escaped this nightmare, and we were here to try and make things right.  The residual effects of Angel’s magic had subsided; in retrospect, part of that magic may have amplified our bloodlust towards men.  But it’s all fading from my memory, like the details of a dream that dissipate upon awakening. 

                But the two of us were mortal now, normal young women with no powers save the protective talismans we wore around our necks.  My companion, Leila, one of the other survivors of our great escape from this place, stood close to me, surveying the living room.

                “Where do you think they all went?” Leila asked me.  “The other girls?”

                I shrugged.  “More than likely, Angel’s enchantments wore off on them, too.  They probably went back to their lives, confused and ashamed.  Or it’s possible they’re starting it all over again.”

                “You really think Angel is still out there?” She asked.

                I nodded, lifted a fallen lamp and adjusting its shade.  “She’s endured centuries, from what I can tell, and the effects of what we did to her probably wore off, too,” I said, approaching the basement door.

                “But it’s been quiet.  No disappearances matching her profile,” Leila reminded me.  “Spade’s got his ear to the ground.”

                Spade was the nickname we gave to the private investigator (after Sam Spade, the fictional detective) who had inadvertently got involved in our escape.  The effects had worn off on him, too, and he’d forgiven us for getting him involved, shrunken, nearly killed literally in Angel’s hands.  He ended up being essential to our escape, causing Angel’s enchantments to backfire upon her and giving us a window to escape.

                Frankly, it seems obvious he has a bit of a thing for Leila, but she’s too young and maybe a little scarred to see it.  In any case, Spade’s been running point for us from afar, digging deeper into Angel’s origins and keeping an eye open for any signs of giantess witchcraft activities.  Angel wasn’t the only one we had to worry about.  There was the green-eyed sadistic Jayne still out there, and from what we last saw, she had run off with Angel’s amulet, no doubt inflicting misery on tiny helpless men to her great pleasure.

                Spade’s research also revealed a bit about the amulet itself.  He obtained some old talismans that had similar markings.  The lady in Chinatown who sold them to us said they could ward off that type of magic.  I was hoping we would never have to find out.  I put my hand on the basement door and pushed it open.  This is where Angel kept the collective.  I surely didn’t think it would still be there, but it was worth

                “Nicole,” Leila said, startling me.

                “What?”

                “Just… just be careful.”

                I stepped slowly into the dark, groping for the light.  I wasn’t sure what I expected to see.   As the room illuminated, so did the memory of the first time I saw a room just like this one…

*****FIVE YEARS AGO*****

                “What is this place?” I asked, putting down my bags.

                “This is my… playground, I suppose,” Angel said.  “Your room is right over there, next to mine.  Whatever you need, do not hesitate to ask, love.  I want you to be comfortable here.  Consider this your home.”

                I had met some of the other girls on my way in.  Mostly around my age, give or take a few years.  On the way over here, Angel said they were all just like me, victims of violence.  She had starting rounding up a sort of sisterhood, united by a singular thought: justice.  I wasn’t sure how that would be achieved, but Angel had promised to help me deliver those boys to justice and for whatever reason, I trusted she would do just that.  Just being around people who could relate to me made all the difference in the world. 

                When I wasn’t at the hospital, my parents panicked.  I did call them later and told them I was okay, and that I needed some time to myself and not to worry about me, and that I would resume my studies after some time away.  They objected strenuously, but I couldn’t face them.  Somehow what had happened to me made me feel tainted.  There was hatred in my heart, and I was ashamed of it there.  Amy was the one raped, and yet I still felt violated.  The feeling of powerlessness.  Helplessness.  I wanted those boys to feel that very much.  I looked up and saw Angel watching, suddenly wondering if she could hear my thoughts.

                “When you’re settled, come on downstairs.  I’ve called a family meeting,” Angel said.

                “What kind of meeting?”

                “What you came here for: vengeance.” 

                “You mean justice,” I corrected.  For a fraction of a second, her eyes narrowed, but then she laughed.

                “Yes, of course.  Just come down when you’re ready.  It’s a special meeting..  We call it ‘The Draw,’ and this one is dedicated to you, love.”  She turned and walked away.