- Text Size +
MEANWHILE, AT THE GOTHAM RITZ-CARLTON...

...Alexandra Cabot had made a startling discovery. The ancient Egyptian gold coin she had gone to so much trouble to obtain had turned out to be a fake!

She found this out the hard way, when she had tried--but failed--to hypnotize Alan Mayberry.

"Cut it out, Alexandra!" he had exclaimed, waving away the dangling coin with uncharacteristic impatience: "This's no time for parlor tricks. The Pussycats are still missing, and the police still haven't received any ransom demands from Catwoman."

"Sorry, Alan," she relied (with a half-genuine blush): "I was...merely trying to ease the tension. Believe it or not, I feel just as angry at Catwoman as you do!"

In that regard, she was telling the truth. For, no sooner had she returned to the privacy of her hotel room, than she immediately got out her cellphone and called a certain number from the Gotham City Yellow Pages.

"E. Nygma Investigations," chanted the pre-recorded voice at the other end: "Just leave your name and number at the beep and I'll return your call as soon as possible."

BEEP!

"My name is Alexandra Cabot. And, I'd like you to find someone for me. A catty double-crosser named Selina Kyle!"

* * * * *

At that same moment, the Diminutive Dark Knight found himself being embraced from behind by the Pussycat called Melody.

"Why don't you two pick on someone your own size?" she demanded.

"Yeah!" chorused Josie and Valerie, as they moved to stand next to each other, shoulder to shoulder. Consequently, Batman found himself looking at the leopard-spotted smalls of their backs. That is; till they took one step back to further shield him from their giant captors' view. In doing so, their shapely behinds pressed up against his waist, while simultaneously pushing back against Melody. Which, in turn, made the top of his head brush the underside of her chest!

This combination of factors started to make him feel very awkward south of where his utility belt was usually buckled.

Talia, observing all this from above, could not help grinning.

"Look at them, Father! Isn't it cute, the way they rush to protectively surround him?"

"Yes, My Daughter. They will certainly make amusing pets while you and the Detective are on your honeymoon."

"Pets?" echoed Josie and Valerie, in unison.

"Honeymoon?" echoed Melody.

* * * * *

While all that was going on, Wonder Woman's Invisible Plane landed at Gotham City International Airport. Upon taxiing into the same hangar where the GCPD kept their own patrol aircraft, the Amazing Amazon raced to the nearest landfill. Carrying her teammate Rima piggy-back!

Upon arriving at one, Rima used her psychic power of zoological empathy (which she usually channeled verbally) to summon all the rodents in the immediate area. By this means, she informed them of who they--meaning she and Wonder Woman--were looking for. The moment she had finished, the squirrels, rats, and mice disappeared.

"Now, we wait," said Rima.

Wonder Woman nodded. Whereupon, to pass the time, she asked if Rima had ever heard about the contest Aphrodite and Hera had once held, to see whether or not the Justice League were truly worthy to be called her super-friends.

* * * * *

While all that was going on, Special Agent Amanda Waller of Task Force X felt her cellphone start to vibrate within the lapel pocket of her blue blazer. The moment she opened it up, a stream of black particles shot out of the mouthpiece!

She waited until they had re-coalesced before monosyllabically inquiring:

"Well?"

"There have been two developments," replied the once-Terrible Tapper: "First? Ms. Cabot has hired the Riddler to track down Catwoman. But, only on the condition that he partners up with someone who can (and I quote) 'skin her more than once when you find her.' End quote!"

"The Wall" could not resist smiling at the not-so-subtle threat: "And, the second development?"

"Ra's Al Ghul's finally arrived."

"The Wall" stopped smiling: "He's top priority. Get back there, and tell Agent S that he's now on yellow alert!"

The Tapper grinned and saluted: "Will do!"

A microsecond later, and he was traveling through the telephonic portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, once more.

tbc