- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This and the preceding chapter are, of course, sequels to Timescribe's THE SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN: 20/16 HINDSIGHT (not available in stores).
* * * * *

I am Nafakusa; leader of the True Watchers. And, it is the self-appointed duty of my race to observe, chronicle, and occasionally recapitulate all events (seminal and otherwise) that occur throughout the Omniverse.

The universe of Earth-030803 is a divergent reality from that of Earth-26496. It was created when the universes of Earth-950122 and Earth-950909 inexplicably merged. Resulting, among other things, in Thanos of Titan capturing a wayward Qwardian mercenary from Apokolips.

Armed with a yellow power ring and a Mother Box, he began traveling to other parallel-universes. Destroying whole worlds in the name of Lady Chaos (feminine counterpart of Lord Chaos in the mainstream Marvel multiverse). To prevent a similar calamity from befalling them, the Master Order and Lord Chaos of Universe-6799 have sent the resident counterparts of Impossible Man and Fastforward to the aforementioned Earth-030803 to rescue that world's counterpart of Spider-man from a most...unusual predicament.

* * * * *

Donna Parker was a widowed mother, in her early forties, who had lost her husband in the Korean War. To make ends meet, she became a substitute school teacher. Sometime in the mid-1950's, she was contacted by one of the Guardians of the Universe about possibly replacing the now-retired Alan Scott as Green Lantern of Earth. For the will-powered rings manufactured by the Guardians worked only for those who were courageous and dedicated. Two qualities they had sensed in the Nebraskan school teacher.

She passed the test she was given by the Guardian. But, she declined to become a full-time Green Lantern as her children were still her first and foremost responsibility. Yet, just as she was in the midst of returning her power ring...

"Bum-bum BUUUUUUUUUUUUM!"

WHOOSH!

...she was whisked away by Fastforward and Impossible Man (who was still disguised as a green-and-purple treadmill).

On a deserted atoll in the South Pacific Ocean, they explained the situation to her. But, while she was naturally shocked to hear about the fate of her (as-yet unborn) grandnephew, her answer to them was the same as she had given to the Guardian. With one exception:

"Take this ring and power battery with you. If that young man is everything you've said he is, the ring will work for him just as readily as it did me."

They agreed. And, after returning Donna Parker to her Nebraskan hometown, they departed. Traveling six decades into the future and...

"Betty, please. No!"

GULP!

...into the stomach of Elizabeth Brant.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

"Bum-bum-BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!"

Impossible Man instantly transformed into an acid-proof rubber raft, the moment he materialized. Allowing young Peter to bounce up and down, as if on a trampoline, upon landing.

"Whoa! Where did you guys come from?"

"That would depend," replied Fastforward: "Are you Peter Parker?"

The youngster nodded. Whereupon, Fastforward held up the power ring and battery. Explaining their dire situation once more. Peter was, of course, initially astounded. But, after everything he had already been through, in his brief crime-fighting career, he did not think their story was beyond reason.

Whereupon, he extended his right hand. And, the ring levitated itself on to the fourth finger of that hand!

He then recited the oath of the Green Lantern Corps.

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power. Green Lantern's LIGHT!"

There was a brief interval of blinding verdant brilliance. After which, Fastforward and Impossible Man looked at their new ally...and gaped in slack-jawed amazement.

For Peter's first test of the power ring had been to will himself covered by a green-and-black version of his regular costume!

"Double-whoa!!"

"Not bad," conceded the Un-buried Alien: "Now, if we can just get going?"

"Wait a minute," replied young Spider-man: "I want to try one more thing, first."

He then enveloped the three of them in a translucent green bubble. Following which, he materialized a giant green frog (with matching tuxedo and top hat) that immediately began to sing and dance!

"Hello, my baby.
Hello, my honey.
Hello, my ragtime gal.
Send me a kiss by wire.
Baby, my heart's on fire!"

This undeniably strange performance soon caused Elizabeth Brant to awaken from her contented sleep, and run to her bathroom with an upset stomach. She knelt down on both legs before her toilet and began to cough and wretch. Until, finally, she threw up all she had eaten earlier that evening.

And, in her weakened state, she did not see the translucent green bubble that floated upward from the toilet just moments before she summoned enough strength to flush it.
Chapter End Notes:
January 22, 1995: launch date of "UPN Kids."
September 9, 1995: launch date of "Kids' WB."
March 8, 2003: launch date of the CW Network.
"Hello! Ma Baby" by Howard and Emerson (c. 1899)