- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
COBBLEPOT SUMMER HOME,
NW OF GOTHAM CITY
* * * * *

I am Nafakusa, leader of the True Watchers. Here to update you on nearly-forgotten events from chapter ten.

After determining where Batman and the Pussycats were most likely being held hostage, Rima and Wonder Woman had flown to Gotham City in her invisible jet. From the police hangar at the local airport, they had traveled to a nearby land-fill. There, Rima had psionically requested the local rodents to scout ahead. To see if the old Cobblepot place was now inhabited by a dark-haired human female (Catwoman was not a natural blonde), as opposed to a chubby human male with a "third eye made of glass."

The squirrels who lived in the woods between there and a neighboring fish hatchery did indeed see a woman answering that description. They had the muskrats of Slaughter Swamp relay this news to the field mice who lived across the way, near a trailer park. And, the latter relayed it, in turn, to the rats who used the land-fill (which was next door to their favorite sewage treatment plant) for bearing their young.

Since then, Rima and Wonder Woman had traveled by dug-out canoe to the fish hatchery. And, from there, to the backyard of the old Cobblepot place. Only to find it guarded by the Uzi-wielding genin of Ra's Al Ghul!

Meanwhile, Josie and the Pussycats had been temporarily restored to their normal size by Al Ghul's daughter, Talia. But, they were not the only ones who turned out to have been shrunken.

Melody, at seeing who was standing behind them, exclaimed:

"It's a werewolf...who looks to be part Dalmatian. A-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh!"

"Not so loud, Melody," Valerie cautioned.

Her rather harsh whisper was matched only by Josie's, when she demanded to know who the new arrival was.

He replied (pointing to his black-and-white polka-dotted costume):

"I used to be known as the Sinister Speck. But, now I work for a top-secret government agency under the code-name, 'Agent S.' And, I've been keeping an eye on you ever since my partner, Agent T, learned you were being targeted by Ms. Al Ghul."

"I wish you had shown yourself a little sooner," said Val: "Poor Robin might still be alive!"

"I had no idea she might pull a stunt like that. Besides which, I was under orders not to break cover unless otherwise instructed. And, now, I have been. More specifically; I've been ordered to get all three of you out of here, forthwith. You, especially, Ms. Brown!"

"We're not going anywhere without Batman!" replied Josie. And, the other Pussycats nodded in adamant agreement.

* * * * *

Meanwhile, an eighteen-wheeler truck slowly drove past the main gate of the old Cobblepot place. The logo on each of its sides advertised it as belonging to the Checkerboard Moving Company. With their slogan being:

"We wait for your move."

Sitting in the trailer portion of that truck was a domino-masked man wearing a green business suit (covered with black question marks) and a matching derby hat with black band. This was the man formerly known as the Riddler. But, who now preferred to be addressed as "Edward Nygma, P.I."

Sitting next to him was Charles "Rhino" Daly. Once, the personal bodyguard of the multiple-personality ridden criminal genius called the Ventriloquist. That is; till the latter's most recent ship-off to Arkham Asylum. After that, Rhino had moved to neighboring New York City, where he went to work for Wilson "the Kingppin" Fisk as a "special enforcer." In this capacity, he was given a bullet-proof exo-skeletal costume to wear. One that not only amplified his already-considerable natural strength.

It also made him resemble an actual-albeit-bipedal specimen of Ceratotherium simum (the white rhinoceros)!

Query, one of Nygma's female assistants, reported in from the "shotgun seat" of the cab that they had safely rounded the corner of the road, a hundred yards up from the gate. Nygma, pressing the "send" portion of his celluar headset, thanked her. He then told her to have her twin sister Quip begin braking to a halt.

When this had been accomplished, Nygma turned to Rhino.

"It's your show, now."

Whereupon, Nygma clicked a remote control at the back doors of the trailer, and they flew open.

"Sorry to spoil part of your fun. But, this truck is only rented."

Rhino nodded: "I'll meet you back at the spot."

Seconds later, he was charging back down the road at almost-unbelievable speed. Speed that helped him build up enough momentum to crash through the gate to the old Cobblepot place. And, thereby, alert every genin on the grounds to his presence!

Wonder Woman, still perched in a pine tree overlooking the backyard, turned to Rima and declared:

"I don't know what's going on! But, I think that's our cue."

The jungle heroine nodded. And, together, they jumped down. Landing in almost-feline crouches.

tbc