- Text Size +
* * * * *

The stage in the grand ballroom of the Gotham Ritz-Carlton had seen its wooden surface trod on by a lot of great entertainers. From the giants of the Big Band era to still-living legends from the Psychedelic Sixties. And, now, it was being graced by Josie and the Pussycats. Promptly at 9:30, as advertised! Each girl wearing her trademark leopard-print leotard (including pseudo-tails, ear-shaped head bands and open-toed moccasins).

The Q&A session, with the assembled reporters, lasted for twenty-five of the scheduled thirty minutes. The lovely young ladies then went to their instruments to perform two of their earliest hits. Starting with "Watch Out For the Roadrunner (Fastest Boy in Town)."

"So far/so good!" whispered Robin, as he and Batman kept their vigil from above the stage.

"Don't be so sure, chum," cautioned the Dark Knight: "They still have one song to go. And, only their successful return to their rooms will prove my fears for the Pussycats' safety were groundless."

"Well, even if you're right," rebutted the Boy Wonder: "...maybe Catwoman was just as anticipatory about us and changed her mind at the last second."

"Perhaps. But, I wouldn't count on it. She and the rest of our Rogues' Gallery seem to live for the challenge of trying to outwit us. Look at all the times they've captured us alive, purely for the sake of putting us into some slow-acting, overly dramatic death-trap. And, all _without_ unmasking us, while we were safely unconscious, beforehand!"

"Holy Most Dangerous Game!" exclaimed Robin (sotto voce, of course): "I've never looked at it that way, before."

"Well, as much as it would please me to be wrong about Catwoman plotting to 'shrink-nap' the Pussycats, it would be just like her to wait until the literal last moment to strike. When she thinks our guard would be at its lowest."

"Ow!" said Robin, suddenly slapping at his left facial cheek.

"What's wrong?" his mentor urgently inquired.

"I think I just got bit by a mosquito."

"Shhh! The Pussycats are starting their second number."

So intently did the Dark Knight center his attention on the talented trio that he failed to observe Robin stealthily remove his pneumatic Bat-injector from his utility belt. This was the device they usually employed for those badly in need of their antidote to Joker-toxin.

In this case, however, it contained something else. Something Robin suddenly injected into the back of Batman's neck. Something that made him feel as he had felt only once before!

During the wave of vertigo that had hit him and Robin, the first time they were shrunken by Dr. Gulliver.

"Robin?" the Dark Knight managed to mutter before blacking out, to the sound of female screams: "What...? Why...?"

When Batman regained consciousness, he initially thought he was hallucinating. Because standing there, before him, was what looked like a hundred-foot tall statue of Catwoman, arms akimbo. That is; till the "statue" suddenly moved its left arm!

Batman gasped as he saw whose face lay beneath the mask.

"Talia????!"

"Greetings, beloved."

tbc