- Text Size +
"29 Apr. 1923 (cont.):

I could not help it."

"I just stood there, transfixed. Staring at this gigantic abomination as if I were hypnotized! And, I could sense that I was not the only one."

"Superficially, the species of crab she had transformed into resembled one of the heikegani of Japan. Brownish-gray, in color, with patches of algal green here and there on both the legs and carapace. And, the upside-down jellyfish taking up most of that carapace looked like a giant sea anemone!"

"This apparent spell was broken by the voice of Acting Captain Steele shouting from the wheelhouse that the ship was now ours again."

" 'Everybody get to their stations and prepare to weigh anchor," he added: 'We're getting the frig out of here! Now!' "

"But, even if the surviving crewmen had responded right that second, it still would have been too late for us. For, at that moment, Taranga reached us...and lifted the whole ship out of the water. Her left claw at the bow; her right claw at the stern!"

"Even more ominously, she began to tilt the ship at a right angle, in her direction. So, that we all began falling towards the portside railing. I cannot begin to describe the panic-stricken screams of the crewmen who were the first to fall overboard into the sea. I can only describe their subsequent fates."

"Stripped to the bones by barracuda with all the voracious rapidity of South American piranha!"

"Those of us who managed to hang on to the railing were randomly picked from it (like so much ripe fruit) by the tentacles of the giant jellyfish. And, the moment that paralytic venom hit their nervous systems, they could not even scream in protest like their shipmates."

"One of these unfortunates was Professor Phillips."

" 'Nein! NEIN!" I yelled at her: 'Take me, Taranga. Me! Not him.' "

"But, my plea was ignored. In fact, as if to spite me, she turned the ship downward another forty-five degress. Making Herr Steele and the rest of the bridge crew come tumbling out of the wheelhouse and into the sea!"

"And, I almost joined them. For, it was this point that my strength failed me and I let go of the railing."

"Yet, just as I was seconds from hitting the surface of the water, I felt something snatch at the neck of my pajamas. While, at the same time, I heard a great rush of wind that caused my face to be stung by salt spray."

"When I was able to see again, I found myself on the sandy shores of Kapu Hiva! Alongside Keith Ulu and Dr. McGee!! Even more incredibly, however?"

"I saw Taranga being attacked by a monstrously huge Ephraim the Kea!!!"

"It was dumb-founding. This falconry-trained parrot was now twice the size of Taranga's current form. And, using his wings to blow wave after wave in her direction. Just managing to hover out of reach of those coelenterate tentacles, all the while."

" 'Who are you?' " I heard that now-familiar voice in my head demand.

" 'I am known by many names,' replied a new, more masculine-sounding voice: 'The Maori of New Zealand call me 'Te Hokioi.' The Plains Cree of Canada call me 'Binesi the Thunderbird.' The Children of Israel call me 'Bar-Yuchenai.' In any event, I am a messenger for He Who Created All. And, He forbids you to harm anymore of these mortals.' "

" 'Begone, Outsider!' " ordered Taranga, pointing an accusatory pincer at him: 'Whatever your pantheon, you have no power, here. This is my realm! And, I merely punish those who trespass in it.' "

" 'KEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!' "

"I couldn't help it. The cry uttered from that massive avian throat was too shrill to listen to without covering my ears. A sentiment that Keith and Dr. McGee seemed to share. And, yet, the cry seemed to be more than physical. For, it evidently pained Taranga, as well!"

" 'Lies!' Ephraim now resumed speaking: 'You and I both know these mortals did not come here, seeking the forbidden fruit you guard. You _lured_ them here! Using a more worldly treasure you knew they could not resist. And, all to temporarily sate the unending hunger you were cursed with.' "

" 'What if I did?' " sneered Taranga: 'You cannot kill me for it! Not without the curse of my guardianship passing on to you.' "

" 'I think not,' replied Ephraim (in a tone only slightly less smug): 'For, as you so rightly pointed out, I am an Outsider. Thus, you would merely regenerate and resume your guardianship. By which time, however, I would have flown my three charges back home. Tasking them to make sure no other mortals ever visit this island!' "

" 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' screamed Taranga. Emphasizing this protest by using her giant pincers to splash massive amounts of sea water up towards Ephraim. To no avail, though. For, Ephraim merely beat his wings all the faster. Simulaneously raising himself higher while using salt spray to blind her crustacean eyestalks."

"This was followed seconds later by twin forks of lightning streaming forth from his eyes with an almost-deafening crack!"

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
Special note: Te Hokioi, Binesi the Thunderbird, and Bar-Yuchenai were not made up by me. They are giant feathered figures of genuine folklore.