- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Special note: the following was inspired by an _actual_ Polynesian legend. The rest is my own invention.
"16 Apr. 1923 (cont.):

Professor Phillips introduced me to Herr Lancer who shook my left hand in his. And, I must admit; for a man of his age, it was surprisingly firm. Vindicating my first impression of him."

" 'So!' he exclaimed: 'I understand you're going to be joining our little expedition, as Howard's research assistant. Do you have much experience at that?"

" 'I have recorded and collated data on previous archeological digs, during my undergraduate days,' I replied: 'But, that was mostly in the Mediterranean region."

" He then asked me what I knew about the legend of Kapu Hiva. Assuming a stance with his cane that I can only describe as 'defiant.' "

" 'It is a proto-Polynesian myth,' I began: 'With certain parallels to the Sumerian myths about Gilgamesh and Utpashnatim. Perhaps, even pre-dating them. In any event; Maui the Trickster sought to achieve immortality by entering the body of Hina, goddess of the dead, disguised as a palolo worm. Essentially, back-tracking the birthing process!' "

" 'But, he looked so comical in his efforts, one of Maui's bird friends (who had accompanied him on his journey to Pulotu, the land of the dead), involuntarily began laughing out loud! This awoke the goddess, who had been sleeping, and she immediately shut her previously-open legs. Cutting Maui in half with her...vagina indentata.' "

" 'The news of Maui's death was brought to his mother, Taranga, by the bird Willy Wag-tail. And, so loud were her lamentations that they reached all the way up to the moon! Dwelling place of Hina's twin sister, Sina.' "

" 'Sina, moved by Taranga's sadness, took pity on her. Visiting the latter in her dreams, that very same night, she told Taranga that there was only one way to restore Maui to life. And, that was if Hina were tricked into eating the magical fruit of the soma'loa tree. Which would, in turn, make Hina regurgitate Maui!' "

" 'Unfortunately, this tree grew only in one place. The sacred island of Kapu Hiva. And, it was guarded by her husband Tinirau's mightiest warrior; Big Namba...the giant shark-man.' "

" 'Sina's answer to this was to change Taranga into a flying fox. Whereupon, Taranga was given directions to the sacred island and off she went.' "

" 'Yet, again, Willy Wag-tail played the traitor. He had overheard Taranga's end of the conversation, and followed the transformed woman to Kapu Hiva. Making it there ahead of her, just early enough to warn Big Namba. Seeing this treachery, Sina sent Mo'i Tuku-hali, Queen of the Sea Snakes, to aid Taranga. And, so great were the struggles between serpent and shark-giant that tidal waves inundated the entire world!' "

" 'It took the sea god Tangaroa, many, many months to make the flood waters recede. When that had been accomplished, Taranga and Sina were brought before Sky-father and Earth-mother for judgement. Sina's punishment was to spend only three nights of each month shining her full light upon the mortal world. In between each month, her sister Hina would rule the night!' "

"As for Taranga? Her actions had resulted in the death of Big Namba from Mo'i Tuku-hali's venom. So, it was only fitting that Taranga replace him as eternal guardian of the soma'loa tree!' "

" 'And, so, she became the first of the aitu ai-kanaka. The Spirits Who Eat Men.' "

tbc