- Text Size +
* * * * *

"23 Apr. 1923 (cont.):

Somehow, I managed to find my spectacles, in all that confusion. A good thing, too. For, with the next pitch-and-roll (as the ship's crew called it), I found myself tossed against the wall containing the rain-lashed porthole."

"Fortunately, I had the instinctive presence of mind to outstretch both my arms. Letting the palms of my hands absorb the brunt of the impact. Then, I heard it. A pounding on the other side of my state room wall. Followed by someone frantically shouting my name."

" 'Mr. Liebenkraft! Help me! Please, help me!!' "

"It was not until the next lightning flash that I was able to put a face to the name. It was Drake, the second shift helmsman! Captain Murgatroyd had introduced him during a courtesy tour of the ship our first day out."

"Only, the congenial expression Drake had worn on his face, at that time, was a far cry from the panic-stricken one I had just now witnessed in that split second."

" 'Mr. Liebenkraft, for the love of God!!! You've got to heeeeeeEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!' "

"Two seconds later, there was another lighting flash. And, for a moment, I thought I was looking at some obscene portrait of the Lady of the Lake, clutching Excalibur. That is; till I saw that giant right hand descend beneath the waves. The still-screaming Drake struggling helplessly in its grip!"

"It was then I must have fainted."

* * * * *

"I awoke five hours later, on a cot in the ship's infirmary. It took a few moments. But, I finally recognized the murmur of voices, off to my left, as those of Captain Murgatroyd, Professor Phillips, and Dr. McGee."

"According to the latter, during our conversation on that same first day out, he had originally been an American army doctor. But, during the World War, the DEWITT CLINTON had been a troop ship. And, a lot of the infantrymen, in the regiment to which he had been assigned for deployment to France, had never been at sea before. So, he spent most of the trip helping the resident ship's doctor (his predecessor) deal with their motion sickness."

" 'In the process,' he had concluded: '...we became good friends. And, two years ago, when he retired, he learned I had done likewise from the army. So, he asked me if I'd be interested in being his replacement! Obviously, I agreed.' "

"He now noticed that I was awake, and came over to stand by the foot of the bed. While Captain Murgatroyd and Herr Professor stood to my left."

" 'Hello, Gustave,' said the latter: 'How are you feeling?' "

"I half-smiled: 'Isn't _he_ supposed to ask me that? In the plural tense?' "

"Dr. McGee half-smiled back: 'I thought such an inquiry, made by a more familiar face, might be in order. Especially, in light of what we have to ask you, next.' "

"That is when it all came flooding back. Causing me to sit bolt upright, in the bed."

"Gott in Himmel! Drake...!!"

The doctor and the professor swiftly teamed up to push me back down. The captain observed this all with a grim expression on his face.

" 'When Drake went off-duty, last night, I asked him to inspect all the lifeboats along the port-side, before he turned in. To make sure they were secured against the waves breaking over the side. This morning, just after sun up, we found his boots parallel to the porthole of your state room. Did you...see what happened, Mr. Liebenkraft?' "

"Before I could formulate an answer, I heard a far-off cry of: 'Land hooooooooooooo!' "

tbc