- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
In which the aforementioned giantess finally makes an appearance (of sorts).
* * * * *

"23 Apr. 1923 (cont.):

'Everything jake, Jack?' " Herr Lancer had asked.
And, Herr Martelli gave him two thumbs' up. Signifying that our equipment had weathered last night's storm perfectly."

"We have arrived at our destination; the fabled island of Kapu Hiva. And, it is a beautiful place, I must admit. Lush, tropical foliage worthy of the Garden of Eden. But, that is somewhat offset by a smoldering volcano in the distant center of the island!"

"We will start our search at the site of where Zheng's treasure ship went down (according to Professor Phillps and the Vandersnatch map). From there, we will fan outward in grids. The grid-searching to be done using a dozen glass-bottomed skiffs with outboard motors. Reinforced by an autogyro floatplane for aerial reconnaissance."

"If and when we find the treasure ship, two Mathis motor launches will tow a pontoon-supported wooden raft into position, as a central staging platform for the deep-sea divers. And, if they should ultimately be required to do any salvaging at night? They will have access to one of a hundred calcium carbide lamps that were custom-made-to-order by the W.H. Tilley Company, in England. To wit: encasing them in globes of Nonex glass, which in turn have been stuffed into sealskin pouches with one opening provided for the outward shining of light."

"When Professor Phillips reassured me that he and Herr Lancer had thought of everything, I reminded him of Kujira-onna."

" 'Oh, come now!' he chided me, good-naturedly: 'Do you really think a mer-giantess inhabits these waters? I thought you were above such superstition! What more likely happened here, almost five hundred years ago, is both ships simply got caught in the middle of a fight between a pack of orcas and a mother sperm whale defending her calf.' "

" 'If you say so, Herr Professor.' "

"I still could not bring myself to tell him about what I thought I had seen happen to poor Drake."

* * * * *

"26 Apr. 1923:

Success!!! And, none too soon! Tempers have been getting shorter and shorter with each disappointment and false alarm. But, this time, the pilot of the autogyro spotted what he was certain was too perfect a circle to be a natural part of the coral reef. So, the launches finally went into operation."

"Two hours later, Herr Svensen and his divers confirmed it. There is a dragon-shaped vessel sitting on the ocean floor, less than three miles to the southeast of where it originally went down! There is a hole in the portside, nearest the stern, where it apparently hit a submerged rock. Or, perhaps, was hit _by_ some angry cetacean."

" 'Was there any sign of the pirate ship?' Professor Phillips had asked (rather excitedly). Herr Svensen shook his head in reply. He had then frowned and added: 'There was an awful lot of brain coral surrounding it, though. If they had been mushrooms, I would have called it a 'fairy circle!' "

* * * * *

"27 Apr. 1923:

We have begun bringing the first pieces of salvage to the surface. Nothing of any monetary value, however. Not yet, anyway. Merely the bric-a-brac one might take for granted during a life at sea, in that era."

"Still, I am glad for the professor's sake. He will be much vindicated when we finally return home!"

* * * * *

"28 Apr. 1923:

My good mood of yesterday was spoiled by the strange dream I had, last night. It was not like the half-awake nightmare I had had the stormy night poor Drake had died. This one was more peaceful, by comparison."

"In this one, I was walking through the island jungle. The thickness of the foliage about me kept me from seeing whether it was day or night. Yet, I was not afraid. For, somehow, I knew where I was going!"

"Then, suddenly, the foilage was gone. And, I found myself standing on the western shore of an immense lagoon. I turned to my left, and started walking northward along that beach. It was night-time. I could see that, now. And, there was no moon (even though it should be third quarter)!"

"Yet, again, I did not stop, for I knew where I was going. Thus, I continued walking until I saw...

"...HER!!"

"She was one hundred feet tall, at least. Sitting atop a cliff as easily as I might sit in an ordinary arm chair. She had long blackish-brown hair that fell down past, and covered, her otherwise naked breasts. And, the only thing covering her sleek, lovely legs was a red-and-white floral print skirt that came down only to her knees."

"Her feet, which she stretched outward into the lagoon for playful moistening, were bare."

" 'Hello, Gustave,' " she said, finally looking downward at me, with a coy smile."

" 'Konichiwa, Kujira-onna,' I replied with a bow (using my admittedly limited knowledge of Japanese)."

" 'Please!' she exclaimed, placing her gigantic right hand over shrouded left breast: 'Call me by my true name. Call me...Taranga.' "

tbc