- Text Size +

Catherine turned irritably to face Daniel as he meandered back into the hall, nearly knocking over a cauldron that happened to contain an enflamed concoction in the process.  “Daniel, I simply cannot understand it.  I simply cannot.”

                “What is it, m’lady?”

                “The tardiness of each and every one of these so-called “loyals” to me.  Even one such as you, only half the blood of your disgusting brethren running through your veins, and yet you find it even more difficult than the lowliest of them to keep time.”

                “My apologies, m’lady, I just…”

                “Keep your messy jaws shut and give it to me.”

                “Yes, m’lady,” he gasped fearfully, bowing and handing over the burlap bag he had in his pocket.

                “Excellent, it looks nice and fresh…” smiled Catherine, ripping a tan, wriggling object from the bag before tossing it into the pot.  The fire roared upward for a second and turned blue before settling back down.  Catherine watched it without blinking, but Daniel nearly fell onto a table in shock.

                “Try to contain yourself Daniel.  Tell me… any word yet from your pathetic scouts on the whereabouts of the…”

                “YES, m’lady!” he answered confidently, knowing this would only put her in a good mood (or at least Catherine’s version of a good mood).

                “FINALLY!” shrieked Catherine, throwing her arms toward the ceiling and releasing a lightning bolt that nearly knocked a brick loose.  “Tell me the details, Daniel, before my patience is tried.  Where was it?”

                “Well, you see, they haven’t actually SEEN it yet…”

                “WHAT?”            

                “T-t-that is, errr, they haven’t laid EYES upon it, but they have all given me their strictest word that it is where they have said.”

                “You speak gibberish, Daniel.  How could those puny minded fools have been able to realize such a thing without seeing it?  This is no ordinary beast, Daniel, as you are well aware… it knows the necessary tricks to keep beings off of its trail.  Your scouts would have been a job capable of taking care of in its sleep.”

                “Yes m’lady, indeed, but they did find…”

                “WHAT?”            

                “Footprints.  Lots of footprints, leading along the canyons from the entrance to the Otherlands and into the Black Mountains.  Its cave is located near the center of the mountains, but it tends to venture further this way for hunting season.  As you know, its child already wandered into the realm of Richard by way of your brilliant scheme.”

                “Mmmhm yes, indeed…” cooed Catherine, reminiscing on her perfect completion of the difficult magical concoction.  “Continue.  I am intrigued.”

                “The footsteps indicated to my scouts that the creature had been moving in its usual stalking pattern, crisscrossing in random patterns to shake followers.  But… when it had gone only a few miles into the Mountains, the prints become further and further apart.  Like the beast was… running.”

                “The creature is fully capable of running; this tells us nothing, Daniel.”

                “You misunderstand, m…”

                “WHAT?”

                “No, no, no, not a misunderstanding, ahem, but… it is like this, you see, m’lady.  The creature does NOT run unless agitated, either in battle, or when it feels threatened.  Or… in this case, when its child is threatened, which we’re quite sure it is already aware of…”

                “Of COURSE.  That NOSE…” sighed Catherine admirably.

                “Precisely.”

                “You have done adequate work, Daniel.  You may give your scouts an hour’s rest for this before they return to their training.  We must make preparations soon, Daniel.”

                “Already, m’lady?”

                Catherine grinned and cackled, practically shaking the walls of her lair.  “Now it is YOU who misunderstands, Daniel.  You clearly do not understand the special bond of mother and child.  And you can believe that faster than Richard, his family, or the pathetically overgrown wench can catch their breaths… MOTHER will be paying a visit…”

                Daniel shivered at this thought.  He had seen the younger beast in action only once, and he had barely escaped with his life.  He didn’t want to picture what might befall those who stood in the way of the mother, particularly when it was enraged.  “M’lady?”

                “What?  Make it fast, I’m quite busy, as you might be able to tell if you look close enough…”

                “Busy?  But m’lady, oughtn’t we to move out as quickly as possible to reclaim the second half of your… jewel?” he asked, eying the purple shard.

                “Why don’t we try this instead?  YOU take the orders I give you and take them to your lessers, and I’LL make the decisions.  Does that sound entire satisfactory?” she sneered at him.

                “Yes, yes, of course, m’lady, I suppose I was just wondering then if you would like me to have the Others prepare to enter the caves as soon as…”

                “Silence yourself, Daniel, and listen closely.  You shall send three dozen of your… “men”… to the caves, along with yourself, to retrieve the shard.  I cannot afford mistakes here.  None.  Not a single hiccup, or lapse of judgment like you seem to usually enjoy entailing in your assignments.  Is that understood?”

                “Understood, m’lady.”

                “Fine, then.  Now try to avoid scratching your half-animal self for one moment and listen even more closely.  I shall require, shall we say, oh… ten of your troops to accompany me on a separate mission…”

                “Separate mission, m’lady?”

                “That’s correct.  I’m going to have one last reunion with Richard before our victory. There are… things we must discuss.”

                “But why?”

                “BECAUSE Richard will be able to know once I have discovered the second shard, and he WILL try to stop me.  I cannot be foolish in this matter; it must be dealt with efficiently and…”

                “Pardon me, m’lady, but King Richard is… well, he is an adequate military leader, no doubt, but he is only a man.  What could he possibly…”

                “SILENCE,” yelped Catherine, sounding personally insulted.  “This is why I am in command, and you are my lesser, Daniel.  Because you are stupid, and foolish in the tactics of battle, despite any number of inferior victories you may have achieved for me.  Yes, Richard is just a man, possessing no power of his own accord, but you would be wise to not underestimate him.  As you know, we never speak of it, but he has defeated me once.  Therefore, I know what he is capable of.  And I intend to never let it happen again.”

                “V-Very well, m’lady,” stuttered Daniel, catching his breath.    “What about the jewel, then…”

                “It is not a JEWEL, Daniel, not in the slightest.”

                “But…” he chuckled, cracking a smile.  “It’s just a sparkling piece of…”  A second later, he found a wisp of crackling electric energy twisting itself around his neck like a noose, his feet leaving the ground.  He looked down, terrified, to see Catherine pointing up at him, the light energy emanating from her fingertip.

                “You shall not demean this sacred tool in my presence, Daniel.”

                “YES, m’lady!” he screamed obediently, eager to get some air from the painful grip of the spell around his throat.

                “Perhaps you do not understand.  Without this tool, we are nothing.  Without it, we shall remain here until we rot in the disgusting, dying lands that Richard so generously gifted to us.  But with it… yes, with it… we shall become so unstoppable, that not even Richard’s finest troops, a million strong with magical abilities of their own, could halt us for more than an instant.  Look upon me, Daniel.  Do you believe me… powerful?”

                “YES!  YES!” he squealed, struggling to reach the ground again and breathe.

                “Well, you would be right…” she said, laying a hand over her heart as if embarrassed and impressed with herself at the same time.  “But you cannot POSSIBLY hope to picture in your feeble mind what I am capable of once we bring the two shards together, and place them into the keyhole.  And once we HAVE the second shard, I shall be able to discover the location of the keyhole.  And then…”

                “We win?” gasped Daniel, as Catherine finally released her electric grip on his neck.  She nodded approvingly.

                “PRECISELY, Daniel.  We.  Win,” she stated, gleefully, grinning a terrible, toothy smile and cackling loudly.  Her laughter echoed through the hall, shaking loose cobwebs and roosting bats from every dark corner.

 

                Caroline rubbed her hands together as she leaned against the courtyard wall in a sitting position, waiting anxiously.  She could hardly stand the anticipation much longer.  Luke had begun to get tired after they had been speaking for an hour, and retired to his bed for a mid-morning nap.  Caroline had held his somewhat still weak form in her hands for the entire time without complaint, and she didn’t want it to end.  Despite the nagging sense in her better judgment that it wasn’t safe, Caroline felt so loved to be so thoroughly trusted by Luke that she regretted having to set him safely back on the balcony.  Besides, despite her logical and intelligent side knowing it wasn’t possible, she liked to think that giving him a warm, soft place to lay, in the care of someone who felt for him so deeply, would help with the healing process.  She had never quite believed this, but her mother had insisted upon the goodness of presence for those who require physical healing.  Now that someone truly required it, though, Caroline was only too obliged to try and help.  Secretly, she hoped it worked, and she hoped equally that he felt the same.  He had promised her after he slept some more and regained his energy that he would come down and visit her in the courtyard. 

Rose and some of the maids came out while Caroline waited amongst the bushes, dragging cartloads of bread and lettuce, followed by a large container of fresh water.  Caroline thanked them and ate the meal rather quickly, devouring loaves in several bites without thinking about it much.  She slowed herself down after this realization, but it didn’t last much longer anyway, even with her small, half-loaf bites that she could barely feel as they were swallowed down her throat like paper stones.  It didn’t matter.  Caroline was too eager for more time with Luke to be even think of hunger.  Once she was alone, Caroline heard a creaking door along the side of the courtyard leading to the main path around the palace she had used not long ago to escape in the dead of night.  Breathless, she turned her head, scrambling to a crawling position to get closer to the gate.  Luke had finally come.

Caroline was met with a peculiar surprise to find not Luke, but what appeared to be an old beggar woman, hobbling inside the garden in a suspicious, darting fashion.  The princess found this rather odd and a bit troubling.  Perhaps the poor woman had wandered in on accident; the way she moved, Caroline wouldn’t be surprised if she was suffering from some illness of the mind.  Hoping to not startle the woman, who probably hadn’t even noticed her, Caroline cleared her throat.

“H-Hello?” she asked optimistically but still confused by the woman’s presence.  Moving closer, the old woman stopped just short of Caroline’s bended knee, turning her head up at her slowly.  Caroline slowly moved her own face closer in the most non-threatening way possible to get a closer look at the woman’s features.  The hag was draped in a tattered gray rag that covered every part of her body except her face, which hung over her wiry hair like a hood.  Her face was craggy and wrinkled, and her eyes seemed twitchy, as if she wasn’t quite used to being herself yet, even at what appeared to be an advanced age.

“Greetings, your Highness!” smiled the hag, bowing as low as she could, her voice shrill.  She almost tripped, as her knees were rather decrepit, but the kind and quick-thinking Caroline extended a finger to help her stand up, which the woman accepted immediately and shook a bit as she staggered to her feet.

“Are you all right?” asked Caroline uncertainly.

“Yes, yes, yes…” the woman whispered, brushing herself off as soon as she let go of the soft finger.  “I apologize if I… startled you, princess.”

“Do not trouble yourself, madam, I was afraid it would be I doing the startling, not you.  What is it that you require?  As you may be able to see, I am not capable of doing much, but if you have an issue that needs resolving, I could of course ensure that you find a…”

“No, no, princess.  That is not why I’m here.  I’m here to see YOU.”

“Me?  Well, I’m flattered then.  What is it that you need?  Tell me, and I promise I shall do my best to help you,” offered Caroline sweetly, feeling it would be the nice thing to do to humor the poor woman, whether or not she truly did have an issue to address with her.  It allowed her to get the warm feeling again she received when helping the less fortunate, which she had been deprived of for the last few days.

“I don’t have long, princess, so you must listen to me closely.  I… believe I may be able to help with your… illness, as you have called it.”

Caroline smiled down at the little old woman, having a good idea that she could do nothing at all to help, but she was touched by the woman’s determination to bring the news to her, having found her way inside the walls apparently without detection or an escort.  This in of itself was slightly alarming, and made Caroline briefly wonder what had made it possible, but the woman seemed far too well-meaning to have dark intentions.

“That is… very kind of you to offer.  I don’t suppose you might share with me your proposed methodology?”

“Yes, yes…” muttered the hag.  “I… have some family remedies, I suppose you might say, that I believe would fix you up in nearly no time at all.”

Caroline’s doubt had just gone from slight to complete at these words, but she found the gesture sweet nonetheless.  “Errr… yes, yes, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to try something new, would it?  Might you bring them to the palace?  I’m afraid travel is rather inconvenient for me at the moment…” shrugged Caroline, giggling kindly.  The woman shook her head quickly.

“No, no, no, my dear, I’m afraid I cannot come to the palace again.  I do not believe they take kindly to me here.  I regret to say, I entered without the knowledge of your guards.  I hope this does not frighten you, it was merely to ensure I could gain an audience with you.  No, no, you must come to my home.  It is near the Black Mountains, just along the edge…”

“You have traveled all that distance?”

“Indeed.  It was vital that I see you.”

This made Caroline terribly uncomfortable, but she managed to stay strong and answer against what she wished could say to the hopeful old face before her.  “I regret to inform you, then, madam, that your kind journey was nonetheless for naught.  My father has forbidden further travel from the palace until I am healed.  I am truly sorry.  However, if you could tell me of the location of your home, I’m sure something could be arranged, perhaps, if you are… certain your remedies would have some sort of effect…”

“Princess, princess, it is not that simple.  But I suppose it couldn’t hurt to share; my home is located almost exactly two miles west of the main entrance of the Black Mountains, along the incline leading towards the first summit.  I’m sure you know of it, the entrance, I mean; the canyons that eventually lead to the Caves…”

“Yes, yes, I am very well aware of this location you speak of…” answered Caroline, shuddering slightly at the thought of the caves.  “I’m sorry that I cannot come to find you, it is simply the word of my father.  And as he is king, I must…”

“Please, Princess, reconsider.  It is so important that you come to see me.  I may be the only one who can help you.  Do you truly believe that Catherine will willingly revert you to your normal form upon your finding of her?  IF you find her?” asked the woman, becoming more intense in her words.  It unnerved Caroline slightly, but she could tell the woman was determined.

“What, precisely, do you believe you can do to help me?”

“I’m… afraid I cannot revert the effects completely.  But I do believe I could stop the growth process with the correct application of resources.  However, this is not the true reason I have come…”

“What is it, then?”

“It is Catherine.  She is… planning something.  Something she has been planning for the last eighteen years.  She lacked the ability pull it off until now, but she is drawing ever closer.  And after today, I believe she may be in striking distance.”

“Of… what?” asked Caroline, becoming more and more confused.

“Of us.  Everyone.  Once she has achieved her aims, there will be no stopping her like last time.”

“LAST time?”

“Your father.  Last time he stopped her.  He saved us all.  But this time… I do not believe he can repeat it.”

“What… what are you… how do you know of…” sputtered Caroline, now beginning to grow fearful.  “Please, dear woman, you seem to be ill, perhaps not thinking straight…”

“No, no, no!  You must LISTEN to me, Princess!  If you do not heed my words, there will be…”

“Please, madam, allow me to help you find someone who might be able to aid you in your confused state.”

“Please, Princess, take this,” said the woman, shuffling through her rags.  Out of it, she pulled what looked like a thick metal ring with a single, clear rhinestone in the center.  She held it out to Caroline.  “Take this as… my gift to thank you for hearing my words.  That is all I ask, and I shall leave willingly.”

“I could never take this from you… when you seem to need it so much more than…”

“PLEASE,” begged the hag, her knees quaking violently.  “Take it, or I shall throw it away.  I have no use of it, no use at all.  Please, please, you must take it.”

“Yes, very well…” said Caroline hesitantly, reaching out two fingers and pinching the object into her grip.  To Caroline, it looked the perfect size to be a ring.  She stared at it for a moment and, noticing the woman’s insistent stare, slid it onto her left ring finger, the stone glistening in the sun.  “It is… very lovely, thank you.  It is far too generous of you.”

“Do not take it off, Princess.  Do not take it off,” repeated the hag, taking steps back towards the exit as promised.

“I shall not, believe me; such a thing of great beauty should be worn for all to see!” smiled Caroline, fully intending to sell the item to create more alms for the poor once she knew the woman was far away.  She knew the gift came from the heart, but Caroline detested having to wear extravagant jewelry such as this.  “Thank you for your time.  Are you certain you would not like me to alert a…”

“No, please, thank you, and good-bye…” muttered the woman, edging out the door.  “You must know, Princess, before I go.  It was… your mother.  Your mother has caused all of this.  It has all come to fruition because of her.”

“Please… I wish to be alone now…” shuddered Caroline, troubled by this last suggestion.

“Remember my words, Princess.  Remember.”  The hag disappeared, darting around the corner from sight.

Caroline shook her head in slight disbelief, having difficulty chewing over what she had just heard.  Her… mother?  What did she have to do with any of this?  Sighing deeply and writing it off at long last as the poor, tired ramblings of an elderly woman who had become confused by dreams or possibly things she thought she had seen, the princess leaned back against the courtyard wall.  She hadn’t been there long, though, before the door from the palace opened.  Luke began pacing in slowly, looking slightly pained but trying not to show it.

“You’re here!” squealed Caroline, feeling as giddy as a young child once again.  She covered her mouth, embarrassed by her own outburst.  “You will excuse me, Luke.  I was simply unprepared for the gift of your presence.”

“The fault is all, of course, mine, Caroline.  But let us not think on these things.  I have such tales to tell you…” he grinned, stepping nearer to her.

“Are you feeling all right?” Caroline asked immediately upon noticing his slight stagger.  “Do you need anything?”

“Still slightly under the weather.  You understand, my dearest, but I assure you, as soon as I find a place to rest my legs, I shall…” he started, looking around for a place to sit.  Caroline, seeing the opportunity, slowly lowered her cupped hands to the ground right in front of him.

“Would this do?” she said gently, smiling comfortingly at him and splaying her fingers out in invitation.  He nodded back to her.

“Your kindness is seemingly never ending, Caroline, thank you…” he said, stepping forward.  Wearily lowering himself down, he took a seat in Caroline’s soft palms and was raised several feet off the ground, nearer to her face, so she could see him better.

“The pleasure is all mine,” she answered warmly, giving him a smug grin.  He laid a hand upon her thumb for support, shifting into a more comfortable position.  “Are you situated, good sir?” she asked in a faked formal voice as if speaking at a royal dinner.

“Indeed, my fairest maiden.”

“Now, about those tales…” she cooed, locking her deep blue eyes with his despite the drastic difference in the sizes of them, where they remained gazing into one another’s stares for over a minute, a calming silence falling over.  It was simply Caroline and Luke, and no one else, for that instant.  However, the moment of silence was broken by an earth-shattering scream that seemed to shake the very foundations of the palace.  It was followed by another.  And another.  And another.

Caroline listened intently, and from what seemed like miles away, she heard a new sound: a bloodcurdling, tooth-gnashing, metal-grinding roar of pure anguish and rage.

Chapter End Notes:
If you've made it this far and even plan to continue, I'd like to invite you to pat youself on the back in recognition of your tenacity at reading absurdly long stories. Metaphorical applause.