- Text Size +

 “So much for not using my speed,” thought Barry, “Did I really think I could give this up. I’ll just have to be too fast to be noticed. Then Earth-Prime won’t have anyone suspecting that the Flash is hiding out on their world, unless the DC comics writer who’s handling my stories here can actually tune in my having come to earth-prime, but that’s unlikely.”

 

As a result of the Flash’s high speed movements, a series of tornadoes and winds were reported in Australia and the United States, occurring at a frequency not seen on earth before. Soon he had delivered both of his passengers by high speed piggyback to Carycomic’s home.

 

Timescribe had brought along a copy of Best of DC Digest # 57, which reprinted the Legion of Super-Heroes stories in Adventure Comics # 324 to #329 and had a new cover picture based on an extrapolation of the story “The Revolt of the Girl Legionaries” from Adventure Comics # 326.  Being from Earth-Prime, and having heard Carycomic’s account of the Flash’s delivery of the story projector, Timescribe felt sure that he could influence the new outcome of the comic in the way that he desired, altering its appearance only on the pages of that particular copy of the comic, not on all others being read around the world.

 

“It’s great to meet you at last, Pixis,” said Timescribe, “I love that scene you wrote where Dick Grayson has a brief visit in the mouth of-”

 

“No spoilers please,” said Pixis, “Carycomic might not have read it, and I’m sure Flash hasn’t.”

 

“Carycomic reads and reviews anything worth its salt,” said Timescribe, “But I guess the Flash hasn’t. By the way, Barry, if you read that story I posted earlier this year called Timescribe’s Double Drabbles, I was only clowning with satire about Wally’s reason for leaving the Teen Titans.”

 

“I know our fans have minds of their own, in either world,” said Flash, “And I won’t take offence at whatever you wrote. Now who wants to go first?”

 

“I suppose I’d better test its safety, since this was my idea,” said Carycomic, and took out a comic from his collection, “If this works, I’ll be staying in the comic once it’s been closed and the projector’s set up for its next comic. Pixis, you’re welcome to use any comic in my collection to go into, and Timescribe’s already brought his own.”

 

“Thanks,” said Pixis, “Do you have much Justice League?”

 

“See for yourself,” said Carycomic.

 

“I’ll check it out. Oh, and have you got the All-New Atom series?”

 

“Most of them,” said Carycomic.

 

“There’s one that might be just right for me to go into,” said Pixis.

 

“You’re welcome to check it out, while Flash is sending me into my comic,” said Carycomic, “And Barry and Iris. You’ll need a place to live on earth-prime. You might as well move in here, and you can read all my comics over time.”

 

Pixis went to Carycomic’s book shelves and started flipping through comics. Meanwhile, Carycomic took out a copy of Secret Origins #8 from November 1986. There were two stories promised on the cover: the secret origins of Shadow Lass and Doll Man.

 

“I like your Syuperfriends, Flash, but I’ve always been well versed in the Golden Age of Comics, and I find that the art work in Roy Thomas’s retelling of Doll Man’s origin in this comic left me wanting very much to take the place of Darrell Dane. I’ll open it to the page where I’d like to enter the story, and you can aim the projector beam at a panel in which only Darrell Dane appears.”

 

“Wilco,” said Flash.

 

Carycomic opened the book to the second story’s seventh page and pointed to the second panel, where the now shrunken Darrell Dane had just tied a piece of cloth torn from his full sized lab coat around the private portions of his anatomy to cover them up.

 

The Flash turned the device on. It projected a ray beam at the story, but it bounced off and ricocheted up to the roof.

 

“It’s not working,” said Timescribe.

 

“Maybe it doesn’t work on earth-prime,” said Iris.

 

“No. I think it’s the presence of the Cosmic Treadmill, even though it’s not operating. Its components are interfering with the transmission signal sent by the story projector. Iris, all three of them need to end up in the stories they’ve chosen. I’ll have to take the Cosmic Treadmill back to 1978 for a while, just until the process is completed. So Iris, can you operate the machine for them?”

 

“Sure honey,” said Iris West Allen, “You have a nice and brief tour of 1978 earth-prime.”

 

Barry got onto the treadmill and ran at super speed, as they watched both man and machine fade out of their time period. Carycomic checked the positioning of the book, and stood in place himself, and then Iris activated the controls.

 

“We’ve entered the Flat-comic age,” said Carycomic, wondering if Iris had heard the last pun he would make on earth-prime. In a way he was traveling to earth-2, and rewriting its history only in the pocket version of reality that existed in his copy of Secret Origins #8.

 

Suddenly he found himself standing on the floor at tiny size, talking to Professor Roberts.