- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In the late 1980s, a single comic, Legion of Super-Heroes #50 heralded the final appearances of both the Time Trapper and the Infinite Man.

“Happy Mouthday, Diana,” said Ryan.

 

“Just don’t let any of this get out to the rest of the team,” said Wonder Woman, “If it does, I can’t imagine how I’ll look the others in the eyes.”

 

“Me neither,” said Ryan, “I’m far too grateful to do anything you’d dislike.”

 

“Well if you’re as good to work with in a few months time,” said Diana, “And if you promise to use your powers to get back out, and if you want me to … I may just swallow you for Christmas.”

 

 

Back in Carycomic’s lounge room, Timescribe took out his copy of Best of DC Digest # 57 and looked at the new cover. The looks on the faces of Saturn Girl, Shrinking Violet and Light Lass staring down at the shrunken Chameleon Boy and Brainiac Five and Cosmic Boy and Invisible Kid were so arousing, especially Saturn Girl’s facial expression. Her lips had been drawn full and shapely and bright pink. The 1985 rendition of her upper clothing was not wasted on Timescribe either. Yet he couldn’t be projected into that cover. As it was not an accurate representation of the story, he didn’t know what would happen. Would he be able to live out a life indefinitely with the newly created comic book reality’s version of the Legion of Super Heroes, based on that one cover picture, or would he end up in some sort of nothingness? He didn’t want to take the chance.

 

Timescribe turned to page 35 of the Digest edition, which reprinted page 1 of Adventure Comics #326. Then he noticed something he’d written in pencil a few years earlier, at the top of page 35:

 

Read large copy in Adventure 410.

 

“I forgot about that. I more recently acquired an older reprint of it from Adventure Comics 410 made in the 1970s, Iris,” he said, “It was a full sized reprint, but I’m glad I brought this copy though. The cover’s so good. It gets me thinking, even if I can’t go into it.”

 

Of the three DC and giantessworld fans, Timescribe was the most deviant and by most people’s reckoning, perverted writer to be benefiting from the use of the Toyman’s device that the Flash had confiscated from the Legion of Doom. He glanced through pages 1 to 7 of the story and then looked carefully over each panel of page 7. This was the page on which Triplicate Girl used shrinking rings given to her by Shrinking Violet, split into three girls, pretended to romance Invisible Kid and Brainiac Five and Cosmic Boy and then shrank them and put the three of them in a matchbox. He didn’t want to end up in a matchbox with two other heroes at tiny size. So he had to replace the hero that would allow him to take advantage of his reader’s foreknowledge of Triplicate Girl’s intentions. He didn’t want to replace Brainiac Five and end up with green skin either.

 

The only hero seen in a panel alone with Triplicate Girl was Invisible Kid in panel 1 and she was giving him a very appealing kiss too. If he beamed into any other panel, he might end up replacing Cosmic Boy or Brainiac Five. As well as that, Invisible Kid’s power would help, if Triplicate Girl were unwilling to consider Timescribe’s ambitions. So he had Iris beam him into page 6 panel 6, and he joined the scene as Invisible Kid, where Triplicate Girl had just taken him to the Exotic Exhibit of the Interplanetary Fair.

 

There he was, looking into the face of a woman he had always considered to be one of the two most beautifully drawn Legion girls (who were in fact the first two to get married as well; namely Triplicate Girl aka Duo Damsel, and Saturn Girl).

 

As Invisible Kid and a reader of the comic, Timescribe knew that she would offer him a ring after kissing him. He would still accept it, but he wouldn’t end up in a matchbox with Cosmic Boy and Brainiac Five.

 

He responded to her feigned advances and took her in his arms and kissed her. Finally she released him and gave him a ring.

 

“Please accept this ring with my love, Invisible Kid!” she said, and gave him a ring.