- Text Size +

“How do I look?” Jake asked Nique, giving a twirl so she could examine him fully.  He was wearing a grey coat over a white collared shirt and khaki pants, a pair of black dress shoes on his feet. His blonde hair, now cut short, was gelled and smoothed to give him what his mother called “a relaxed demeanor”.

She put her arms over his shoulders and kissed him. “Like a true gentleman.  Zip me up?”

Nique turned away and Jake closed the back of her dress. “Now, how do I look?”  Jake was still amazed at the transformation she had gone through. Nique wore a silky black dress and high heels, her hair had been curled, (though Jake had no idea how at her size), a pair of beautiful crescent moon earrings hung from her ears, and cherry red lipstick shone brightly on her lips.

“Beautiful” Jake said smiling.

“Way to be creative” Nique said jokingly.

“Oh, okay then miss picky, how bout Radiant? Stunning? Marvelous! Wonderful!”

She laughed and they kissed again.

They had all been surprised when Amanda had told them the details of the family reunion. The family would be staying with Amanda, like she had said, but the first night they got into town they were all going out to a fancy restaurant called “Simply Exquisite”.

This was not at all what Jake, Nique, or his mother had expected of their southern family, and had only a few days to prepare. Nevertheless, Jake felt they had done quite well.

A knock came at the bathroom door.

“Come in!” Jake shouted from the sink’s countertop.

Amanda slid the door open and poked her head in smiling. She, like his mother and cousins, were all similarly dolled up for the evening’s events.

“Ohhhhhh, you two look so cute!” She rushed into the bathroom and bent forward, her faced loomed in front of them. “You’re just like the couples on those wedding cakes!” She said, giggling feverishly.

She pinched Jakes waist with her thumb and index finger and lifted him from the countertop.

“Oh my goodness I could just eat you!” Amanda said.

I believe we already went through that, Jake thought darkly, but kept a smile on his face.

“Is everyone else ready?” Nique asked Jake’s aunt as she poked and prodded him.

“Hmm? Oh yes dear, we were just waiting on you two” she told them, she scooped Nique up as well and carried them to the living room.

“Oh Jen, would you look at them!” Amanda exclaimed as she entered the room.

Jake’s mother turned and smiled as she saw her son and his girlfriend.

Jake couldn’t help but grin stupidly, he and Nique held each other closely.

His cousins let out quiet “Awwwwws” from the couch area.

“Well doesn’t my son look handsome” his mother said.

She leaned towards his aunt’s hand and puckered her cherry red lips.

Jake walked forward and embraced them.

She smiled and turned to Nique.

“My goodness Nique, you look so beautiful”.

“Thank you” Nique said, blushing.

“So are we leaving?” Amanda asked.

“Yes we’re all ready” Brittany chimed in.

They left, Jake, Nique, and his mother took their car, and the cousins and his aunt took another.

“I think they rented out the whole restaurant “Jake’s mother said as they were driving.

“Should be interesting” Jake said from the passenger seat, but he actually felt like vomiting.

Oh god, what am I gonna do?  He thought helplessly.

They arrived shortly and Jake’s mother carried them from the car through the parking lot. They entered with Amanda’s group and Jake took a deep breath.

The restaurant was awash with commotion. Some people were dancing, others sitting and already eating and there were children chasing each other.

They all stopped when they noticed their group enter.

“Amanda!” A blonde woman in her mid forties exclaimed. They embraced and Amanda said, “This is my sister Jen!”

“Hello Jen!” The woman said hugging Jake’s mother.

Jake and Nique were pressed between his mothers and this woman’s stomachs.

“She’s wearing waaaay too much perfume” Nique observed.

“And makeup” Jake added.

His mother smiled. “Hello um-“

“Anne” The woman said quickly.

“Hello Anne, nice to meet you, this is my son and his girlfriend.”

Jake felt all eyes go to him and Nique. He swallowed heavily. “N-nice to meet you” they both said in unison.

The woman leaned toward them and for a moment said nothing.

She extended an index finger to them both, saying “Nice to meet you.”

Anne moved and the rest of the family got a good look at their newest member.

Oh god, here we go.