- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lucy thinks on things and remember when she'd first heard of Tara's birthday...

Lucy felt a little bad about keeping secrets from Tara. She loved that little woman, and would be comfortable telling her anything and everything about her life, her past, anything that goes through her mind. When it came to these decorations, however, she desperately wanted to keep them a secret. Keeping that secret would mean that she could not, for any reason, let Tara into the closet where she was hiding that stuff, or any other place in the house she might be hiding other supplies for this party she was planning. As she downed more of her breakfast, she thought about that secret.

The idea of this party had spawned in Lucy's mind about a week earlier. Still getting settled in and setting a few things up for Tara to use, the two of them had sat down in the living room, after Lucy had unpacked a lot of the other furniture. In the now-full living room, the two of them sat in a recliner, and they were discussing various things about each other. They spoke about their families, where they grew up, how old they were, and other random facts about each other, so as to be able to learn a little more about one another. During this conversation, the topic of birth dates had come up.

It was the middle of June and when they'd exchanged birthdays, Lucy thought about her own. Her birthday wasn't until October, quite a few months away. Tara had been the one to ask about birthdays, which Lucy happily provided her with. Lucy had been born on October 2nd. She was a Fall girl. When Tara had told Lucy her own birthday, however, she had surprised Lucy. Her birthday was a little bit closer than Lucy had imagined. Tara's birthday was coming up very, very soon. In fact, it was a little more than a week from when she'd told her.

That's when Lucy got to thinking. Tara's birthday was right around the corner, only about a month after the two of them had first met and they'd gotten into the situation they were currently in. Their conversation had continued that day, but Lucy's mind was fairly busy after that point. She'd always wanted to do something special for Tara, ever since they might. Sure, she let the girl snuggle with her, sleep against her neck, play with her in the bath, etc, but all of that was normal girlfriend stuff. She wanted to do something a little more...tangible for her.

With her birthday coming up, it gave Lucy the perfect opportunity to do something special for her. Tara had spoken about always living alone since her mother had died, years and years ago. Although the thought of losing one's mother at such a young age was a tragedy in itself, it was giving Lucy a wonderful idea. She would be able to go out and get some decorations, in secret, and she was going to throw Tara a birthday party. She'd keep everything hidden until that morning and she'd be able to surprise her little darling with the best party she ever had.

That night, she was thinking about what all she would need to do to prepare for this party. She'd obviously need to buy a lot of decorations and other supplies needed for a birthday party. It would only be the two of them, so she wouldn't have to be sending out invitations to everyone that she and Tara knew or anything. That would save Lucy a lot of grief in the planning of this party. They would still need some decorations, she would need to bake something, like a cake or cupcakes, and she would need to get her some sort of gift.

She wasn't getting very much sleep the following few nights, planning and sorting ideas for this party in her mind. Things would have to be absolutely perfect for Tara, and there were a lot of things she would need to be careful with and make sure she did correctly. They would need decorations that wouldn't get Tara hurt, she'd need to be able to open up her gift, herself, and Lucy would have to be doing a lot of things without Tara knowing it. That, in itself, would be a pretty big feat for Lucy. Doing the decorating, baking, and whatnot without Tara knowing.

For as long as they'd been together, they were always with one another. When Lucy had to go to the bathroom, Tara came in and chatted with her to keep her busy. They took their baths together, they cooked together, they slept together, they even went into town together to buy food, with Tara riding along in a pocket in Lucy's purse. No matter how everything seemed to go, they went everywhere together. Being able to plan and put together a surprise birthday party would be no easy feat for Lucy. She would have to be very careful.

She had been lucky to get the decorations home without Tara knowing. She'd taken Tara with her to the store, but had carefully covered up streamers, hats, and a cake mix under various items in the shopping cart as they went to the grocery store one week. When they'd gotten home, she had even run off to throw the decorations in the closet, claiming that she had to go to the bathroom very badly. She'd barely gotten the closet shut by the time Tara flew into the room, worried about her. That afternoon was very interesting one.

Now, still days before the party was to happen, Tara had nearly gone into the closet, where all of those supplies were held. Lucy felt bad about it now. Not only was she keeping it a secret from Tara, but now Tara knew she was keeping secrets from her. She only hoped that Tara's curiosity would not get the best of her, until the morning came for the party and she had a chance to set everything up for the tiny lady...