- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lucy heads off, thinking and checking her list, on her way to the store...

Lucy had walked out the door and headed down the street, towards the store. It wasn't a long walk. It would take her, maybe, 20 minutes to get to the store, 20 minutes to get back, and awhile in the store, itself. She didn't plan to be gone for more than an hour or two, assuming she could find everything she needed for this party. She still had a few things she needed to grab, that she'd completely forgotten about when they'd gone grocery shopping earlier that week. She walked relatively slowly down the street, though, giving Tara as much time as possible to do whatever she was planning on doing while she was gone.

Foraging through her purse as she walked, she pulled out a small piece of paper with a list on it. She'd made this list the night before, as Tara was falling asleep. She didn't need a whole lot of stuff, but she did need a little bit. Hidden in the closet already was Tara's gift, various decorations for the house, and a cake mix. It wasn't a whole lot, but her mind was a little busy when they were at the store before, and she'd forgotten about a lot of the other supplies she needed. She took a look at the list and tried to think if there was anything she still needed. It read:

- Cake Icing
- Candles
- Wrapping Paper
- Bows
- Cupcake Papers
- Table Cloth
- Napkins and Plates

The more she thought about it, the better she felt about the list she'd made. The only thing that was missing from this list was the main dish they'd be having on the girl's birthday, to go along with the cake. Most people, for birthdays, would have something like pizza or some sort of take-out food. Not on Tara's birthday, though. Lucy had planned to have a collection of foods for her little birthday girl. She'd be making a little of everything Tara loved. French Toast sticks, Cinnamon Rolls, and Birthday Cake. Sure, it's not the best meal in the world, but it's everything that Tara loves, and that's all that matters.

They already had the materials for French Toast at home, so she would just need to pick up some Cinnamon Rolls from the store. Pulling out a pen, Luy stopped by a building and pushed her paper against the wall, quickly scribbling down “Cinn. Rolls” below “Napkins and Plates” on the list, to make sure she didn't forget about it, this time. Throwing the list back into the purse, she continued onwards, reassuring herself. “Just this one, little trip to the store and everything will be all set for her perfect birthday party! She's going to be so happy that day. I just know it!”

Lucy was happy, at this point. The excitement of getting everything ready for the party was pushing back some of the guilty feelings that had plagued her mind since she told Tara she had to stay at home, instead of going to the store with her. This day was the first time the two of them had ever been apart, other than in other rooms of the house, since they'd met. It wasn't a very easy thing for Lucy to handle, and she was sure that Tara wasn't exactly in happy-joy land, either, because of this. She just hoped she wouldn't be too upset with her and that a special snuggling that night, as Tara had asked, would be enough to make up for it.

She thought a lot about what was going on, and it didn't take her long to get to the store, with her mind busy on all of the stuff that was going on in their lives right now. Lucy was preparing for a birthday party, they'd just gotten all of the furniture unpacked, Tara was curious about this 'secret'. It was hard to imagine that the two of them had already been together for a whole month. It seemed like just yesterday that Lucy had been rescued by Tara and had been introduced to her doll-sized girlfriend. She smiled as the electric doors of the grocery store opened up and she walked in, a large harpy cawing overhead, on it's way to the ravine on the edge of the city. She watched the bipedal bird from inside the door, heading to it's home and it made her think about how she'd soon be heading home as well.

Grabbing a cart, she started walking through the store, which was surprisingly vacant this day. It was in the middle of the week, a Wednesday morning, so most of the customers were probably at home, or at work. This worked well for Lucy. It meant that she'd be able to get in, grab her supplies, and get out with a good deal of time to spare, and that she'd be getting back to Tara very soon. She started walking down the aisles, calmly, taking a look at her list, thinking of where she wished to start. At the top of the list was icing and candles. Taking a quick look at the aisle signs, she spotted the Baking aisle and headed that way.

Making her way into the baking aisle, she ran by the cake mixes and found small tubs of icing, that went with each mix. She let her fingers run along the boxes until she found the Strawberry cake mix they'd bought earlier that week and picked up two small bottles of icing, one white and one crimson, the same color as their robes. She wanted to draw something special on the cake, and that shade of red seemed to be Tara's favorite color, so it seemed fitting. Also in here were some birthday-themed plates and napkins, which also got tossed into the cart.

Lucy trekked across the store, further, almost the only person there, collecting some of the other items on the list. Soon, her cart had cupcake papers, bows, and wrapping paper in it. At the halfway point, she looked up towards the ceiling, smiling. “I wonder how Tara doing, back home?”