- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Tara has a few mishaps as she follows Lucy...

Love conquers all. At least, that's how the cliché goes. Love will conquer any and all obstacles that will come in the way of two people, and many people believe it, despite having problems between each other. Lovers will always have little places where they will butt heads, argue, not agree, or any other way you want to explain it. We are, after all, still human. As humans, we have our own likes and interests that are ours and ours alone. Not everyone will agree with each of the interests and not everyone will, surely, agree with all of those interests.

In this case, love has not completely conquered curiosity. When Lucy had told her the cake mix was in another room, she felt a knot growing within her stomach. It was that same feeling she felt when she had been told not to go into the bedroom closet and when Lucy told her to stay home while she went to the store. All of it was about this secret of Lucy's. What was the big secret, and why couldn't she tell her? She respected Lucy's desire for privacy, but that didn't eliminate her curiosity on the matter. She wanted to know. Quickly getting the eggs out of the refrigerator, she darted off into the hallway, pursuing Lucy as she went to get the cake mix.

She didn't want to spy on Lucy or anything, but she was just too curious for her own good. She has a suspicion that the cake mix had something to do with this big secret of hers, and she wanted to know if it was or not. “I'll only there for a second. I just wanna know where she is keeping the cake mix. Then, I'll zip right back, get the rest of the ingredients, and she won't even know I was there!” Her mind was set on this venture, aiming to go, undetected. She saw Lucy heading into the bedroom and slowed her approach, moving the the right, gently grazing against the right wall of the hallway, finding a place to hand at the wooden doorway.

Her hands had gripped around the corner of the wooden doorway, as if one were gripping the top of a table. She was in place and could hear a door open in the distance. What sort of door opened? Maybe it was the closet, and this cake had something to do with the surprise Lucy had in mind for her? Her chest swelled and came back as she felt a little nervous about what she was doing. She hadn't looked into the room yet, but she was nervous about spying on Lucy. Her mind was fighting with her curiosity. Part of her told her that everything was fine, and that it didn't have anything to do with the secret. It said that she should just go back to the kitchen and get the ingredients, as Lucy had asked her to do.

Her curiosity was getting the best of her, and she slowly peeked her head past the side of the doorway. Her head was pointed to the side, trying to show as little of her body as possible, in case Lucy were turning where she could see the doorway. Her hair flowed out, hanging downward with a breeze that flew through the house and she saw Lucy in the bedroom, her suspicions confirmed. The closet door was open and she was on her knees, sorting through something on the floor in the closet. Tara tried to look harder and see just what the girl was sorting through, but she couldn't see it. Some of her vision was blurred out from the darkness of the closet, and Lucy's body was directly in front of whatever she was sorting through.

Soon, Lucy talked, saying “Here it is. Now, back to the kitchen!” Tara saw the joints in her leg move and immediately realized that Lucy would soon be heading back to the kitchen. Knowing that she had to move, and quickly, her entire body reacted. Her head went forward and bumped right into wooden part of the doorway. There was a loud thump as she yelped, bruising herself up. She hovered in place, her concentration broken, and her hand moved to her forehead, There was a little bit of pain in her head, and embarrassment. She hadn't realized that she was going to bash her head into the doorway, the tension of spying on Lucy high in her mind.

Lucy had heard a tap a moment ago and immediately whipped her head around when she heard it. The cake mix was held tightly against her chest and her other hand quickly reached for and closed the closet door. Her guilt was high in her system and her fingers were quivering, looking around for what had caused the noise. It sounded like something had hit the wall in the hallway. Looking from side to side, she started feeling nervous, worried that Tara was nearby and had seen the bad in the closet. She didn't want to seem incredibly nervous, in case she really was around.

“Tara? Is that you?” she asked, calling out into the house. There was no initial response, so she took a few steps towards the doorway, to see if it was her, if it was something else, or if Lucy had completely imagined the entire noise. She still felt pretty nervous, and it was made apparent as she called out again. “Sweetie, if you're around, it's okay. You can come out. I heard a noise.” Reacting to Lucy's honest question and statement, Tara, holding onto her head, began to hover away from the doorway and into the air in the middle of it. She didn't want to, but she knew that she needed to let Lucy know she was there.

Tara was holding onto her forehead with one hand, rubbing against it, as she made her presence aware to Lucy. “H-Hi, Lucy. Umm...” She was trying to think of something to say, that didn't involve “Hey, honey. I was just in the hallway, spying on you. What's up?” There had to be something she could say. Maybe there was something she could say, in relation to what she had been doing before? Sure, she could use the ingredients. “...I forgot where you k-keep the vegetable oil. Could you s-show me wher--”

She didn't get a chance to finish her statement, because Lucy had immediately rushed herself towards Tara, seeing her holding onto her forehead. “Tara, are you alright? You're holding your head. What happened?” She walked towards Tara, finally seeing the red all over her forehead as Tara nodded to her, removing her hand from her head. Lucy immediately reached for Tara and grabbed her, giving her head a rub with the finger of the hand that wasn't holding the cake mix. “Did you bump your head?! Poor dear...Come here and let me take care of you.”

Tara only managed to get a little nod out before Lucy had put the cake mix in her arm and was cradling Tara in her arms as she walked towards the kitchen. Her thumb was gentle rubbing over the girl's forehead, a look of sadness and affection in her eyes. Though, in both of their minds, they realized they'd gotten out of explaining to one another, why they were where they were...