- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Tara is insistent on helping Lucy with the cake, specifically in the Egg Department, so Lucy holds her over the mixing bowl, with miraculous results...

They were finally getting somewhere. Much had happened since they had decided they'd be baking a cake together. Lucy wanted to clean the house a little, which resulted in a very strange reaction in Tara's contact with dust, then they came out to get the ingredients, and Tara had bumped her head on the doorway, trying to check up on Lucy. They'd come back out into the kitchen to put a little 'bandage' around Tara's head, where she bumped it, and now, they were finally to the point where they could start making this cake. Tara was still tilting from side to side and she held onto the egg. Lucy had walked off to get the remaining ingredients.

As she waited, Tara found the mixing bowl. It was a relatively thick mixing bowl, and much taller than she was, so she carefully lowered herself down to the ground, maintaining a tight grip on the egg. As she came down, her butt plopped itself on the floor and she held the egg horizontally, resting it on her lap. As her back and head touched the bowl, she held the egg against her. It was still pretty big to her, the entire thing reaching from her lap all the way up to her shoulders. It was more manageable now, at least, rather than having it vertical and blocking Tara's view. She let out a few deep breaths as she felt a drop of water running from the towel that was wrapped around her head and making it's way down to her nose.

Her face went down as soon as the drop touched her nose. It felt like a small stream of water, rather than a single drop, and she started giggling, the water tickling against her nose and her face. Lucy, hearing the obvious giggling of her little sorceress girlfriend, turned herself around to see just what was so funny that she was already starting to laugh, before they even starting making this cake. As she turned around, though, she expected to see Tara looking at her, with some kind of funny smile on her face. Instead, she saw her sitting against the bowl, rubbing her face against the egg she was carrying. She laughed under her breath for a moment and shook her head. She definitely had an interesting girlfriend. She continued to pick up ingredients before heading back to the table.

As Lucy was coming back to the table, she started to set down various ingredients. As the small boxes and bottles impacted the table, Tara's head whipping itself up from the egg, and saw Lucy dispatching the various ingredients and reaching over for the box of cake mix. She watched her grab it and lifted herself into a standing position. She waddled herself over to Lucy, egg-in-hand, and called up to her. “Hey! Are we gonna make it now? Are all the ingredients here?!” She had a smile on her face, excited about cooking with Lucy, let alone making a cake with her. She'd never done that before. It sounded pretty exciting. Not that she'd never made cakes before, but she'd never made them with Lucy, which made all the difference.

“Hmm...” replied Lucy, her eyes scanning the back of the box. She was checking to make sure they had everything they needed to make this cake. Not one ingredient could be missing. It was a delicate mixture, and Lucy wanted everything to be absolutely perfect for her girl's cake, not that Tara knew it was being made for her birthday. It took a moment for her to scan everything, but she finally looked back down and nodded to Tara. “Yup! Everything is here. All we need to do is get the oven turned on, get the pan out, and start mixing stuff up, and we'll be well on our way for making our special cake! Speaking of which, I'll be right back. Gotta heat up the oven.”

Lucy walked a few feet away from the table, where there was a big wall-oven in place. It was a double-oven, but the two of them never used the bottom half of it. It was always used to store pans, cookie sheets, and other kitchen equipment. Reaching into the bottom portion, Lucy pulled out a medium-sized cake pan and then reached up towards the top of the two ovens. A few beeps occurred before the oven's lights turned on and it began to preheat itself. Lucy turned and came back to the table, where Tara was patiently waiting for her, maintaining her balance while she held onto the egg.

“Put that egg down, sweetie. I'll just have you pouring in the liquids. We don't need to strain your little arms on trying to crack an egg. You just let me handle that.” said Lucy, reaching down to take the egg from Tara's grip. She realized that Tara wasn't using her abilities, and it was likely a miracle she was able to hold up an entire egg by herself, in general. Cracking it would be a completely different story. As she reached down, however, Tara pulled the egg away from Lucy's approaching hand. “I can do it, Lucy! Let me crack the egg! Please?” The woman was insistent and probably wasn't going to be giving up until Lucy at least let her attempt it.

Knowing this, Lucy pulled both of her hands down towards Tara, as she spoke and agreed to let Tara attempt it. “Alright. If you think you can do it, then we'll let you do it. At least let me hold you up to the bowl, so you can crack it and drop the contents straight into where we want it to go.” Tara allowed Lucy's fingers to come around her sides and slowly lift her into the air. Having Lucy carrying her, rather than using the Arte was different, but she still felt slightly weak with her abilities since they had gone chaotic when she was coughing earlier. Holding the egg out in front of the bowl, she prepared for when she'd be in position.

As she came over the bowl, Lucy held her so that her arms and the egg were just above the edge of the bowl. She held her arms as still as she could as she let her try it. “Alright, Tara. Go for it. Crack the egg and get it in the bowl.” She looked up to Lucy for a moment, taking a look at the smile she had on her face. Looking back down, she raised the egg up in the air a little bit and then pushed it down as hard as she could, against the edge of the bowl. Her entire top-half pushed down from the impact and she then picked the egg back up. She didn't see anything leaking out the bottom. She started to hold it higher in the air, to see under it. As she did so, she noticed that the egg had not been damaged in the slightest.

Moving back to the position from before, Tara started increasing her movements, banging the egg against the bowl again and again and again, not having any luck. “Come on!” she yelled, getting frustrated at the egg. She tossed the egg into the bowl and yelled out “Break already!” As she yelled, a red beam-like light shot from her body and enveloped the egg. Tara and Lucy both stared as this happened. Tara hadn't been chanting a spell. What was going on? Was it her emotions taking hold of her abilities, like had happened before?

As the egg was enveloped by this light, the shell cracked into a hundred pieces and they all moved outwards, together, revealing a dripping and dropping egg. The egg's white and yellow quickly collapsed into the bowl without the shell there. The spell was still going, though. As quickly as the egg had broken apart, the shell pieced itself back together, not showing a scratch on it, and then returned to Tara's hands, as if she'd never dropped it, in the first place. They looked into the bowl, seeing the egg down in there, and then at the egg shell in Tara's hands. After a quick glance at once another, they both spoke in unison. “Cool!”