- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Tara thinks about what she wants to do while the cake is baking...

Tara's thoughts were just going “Huh?” at the current situation and what had just transpired. All she had done was go to wash her face off while Lucy was to do a little mixing. She expected to get back to her big girlfriend, help her put some more ingredients in, mix a little bit, help put the batter in the pan, and many other things to help out with this cake. Washing her face wouldn't take long and Lucy had never really been rushed with anything she'd made before. She thought she would have plenty of time to wash up and get back to help her with a lot of stuff.

However, by the time she had gotten back, Lucy was very much rushed. She already had all the ingredients in the mixing bow and had the batter made. Before Tara knew much about what was going on, the batter was in the pan, and the pan in the oven. Lucy had just returned to her a posed a question to her. She was still confused at how quickly Lucy got all of that done, but Lucy was waiting to hear Tara's answer. She wanted to know what she wanted to do while the cake was baking in the oven. This cake thing had taken awhile to get started, but now it seemed to be going extremely fast.

It wasn't Tara's fault that it was going fast, either. Lucy had purposely sped up her pace so she could get as much done on the cake while Tara was washing up as possible. She needed it to be a little part of what she was able to do for her for her birthday. Since they spent so much time together, Lucy couldn't really do a terrible amount for this birthday without Tara around. The cake was something they could do together that she didn't necessarily have to say was for her birthday, since they cooked frequently, anyways. So, since she wanted to do a lot, she hurried along the mixing while Tara had been washing up.

She had her own ideas of what she wanted to do while they waited on the cake to mix up and get ready, but she wanted Tara to decide. It hadn't been that wonderful of a day for Tara. She had already bumped her head against the wall frame, sneezed herself some pretty extravagant sneezes from dust, and she'd gotten cake powder all over her face. She hovered next to her, that little piece of cloth still wrapped around her head, pushing her hair back. Calmly, Lucy waited for her to respond, adding a little extra to what she was saying, seeing the obvious confusion on her face. “It will be a little while before the cake gets done, you know. Is there anything you'd like to do, or talk about?”

That statement was opening Lucy up to a lot. Had she wanted, Tara could ask her about this 'secret' of hers, but that didn't matter to her. She didn't want to alter the way she spoke to her girlfriend, of all people, just because she had a party planned for her that she didn't want her to know about yet. What kind of lover would she be if she altered all of the stuff she said, just so Tara wouldn't pry into things she didn't wish to speak of. Being in love was about being honest and true to your partner, at all times. You two love each other, and because of that love, you can be honest and tell each other anything.

Tara wasn't sure what to say, at first. There were a few things in mind that they could do together or talk about, but the question was thrown to her so suddenly after the confusion hit about the cake getting thrown into the oven. As she thought about it, she considered her options. They could do whatever she wanted. They could go and snuggle together in the living room until they heard the timer go off. Then again, what if they fell asleep and didn't hear the timer? She also thought about asking Lucy about her secret, the curiosity getting stronger in her. Again, she didn't feel it was right to do this. Lucy had to have a reason to keep this from her, and she promised her that it wouldn't be a secret forever.

They would have less than an hour of waiting time, according to the dark-red timer on top of the oven. They needed something to do that wouldn't take that long. Something that they could do here, in the kitchen. Tara thought long and hard about it, and that last thing Lucy said stood out to her. She had asked if there was anything she wanted to talk about. As that statement was spoken in her mind, she started to think about things that she pondered about, that she was curious about. There were many things about Lucy that she didn't know, and probably many things about her that Lucy didn't know.

It's very true that you can never know everything there is to know about someone, but a big part of being together with someone, whether you're friends or lovers, as Lucy and Tara are, is getting to know one another. People like to get to know one another, and talk about themselves. Tara didn't have a whole lot of history behind her name, but she did have a few things she remembered from when she was younger. She figured that Lucy did as well. One thing, in particular, made Tara curious enough to devise an answer to her question around all of these things.

Checking the timer again, Tara made sure she hadn't spent too much time with her thinking. Fortunately, she hadn't. There was still a good 40 minutes on the cake's timer, so they had plenty of time to do what she was thinking. Seeing that Lucy was still waiting on an answer, she brought herself down on her shoulder and sat down. Her legs swayed as they dangled down from Lucy's shoulder, as if it were some chair, high in the sky. Looking to her ear, she softly spoke to her, with her suggestions. “Well, if you don't mind, Lucy, I'd like to talk to you, about you.”

Lucy's head turned to the side, only slightly, knowing that she could hit Tara if she turned all the way. She felt Tara's soft, tiny touch on her body and she began to question her about all this. “Me? What do you mean?” Her question was innocent and soft, just as Tara's suggestion had been. Now, Lucy was the one that was confused. Taking her hand and softly patting on the back of Lucy's neck, Tara tried to make her suggestion a little more clear. “I mean you, silly. We've been together for almost a month, and I still don't know all that much about you, about your past. Tell me more about yourself, Lucy. I want to know more about you.”