- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The cake comes out, and Tara plants her butt next to it, ensuring she can help with it...

“Oh! The cake!” called Lucy, hearing the beeping that had completely cut Tara's statement off. She took this time to push back all of the feelings that had been building up inside her, from talking about her mother. It was now that she started listening to Tara's advice. She was right. The last thing they needed was for Lucy to just start up and crying. Tara didn't start crying when she talked about her mother being gone. If she was only the size of a doll, and had enough courage to hold that back, then so did Lucy. She wasn't going to let her emotions get the best of her. Not in front of Tara, anyways.

“Let's go get it out of the oven and see how we did!” Lucy was excited as she got up from the table and Tara started hovering above her hand. She walked over to the oven, pulling a small drawer out of the counter that was next to the wall the oven was stuck inside. Pulling the drawer open, she pulled out two mitten-like heat pads. Putting them around her hands, she pulled the oven door open, putting her body in front of Tara. “H-Hey!” said the little sorceress. “What are you doing? You're in my way.” Lucy giggled as she looked back at her, in the process of pulling the pan out of the oven. “The heat's a lot to handle, even for me. Just like you can't have a big, crying girlfriend, I can't have a little, overheated girlfriend.”

Tara's jaw dropped and her hands went over her hips as Lucy turned around, smiling towards her. She couldn't believe it. Lucy had completely turned around what she'd told her a moment ago and threw it back at her. This girl was smart and cunning. Yet another reason it might have been good that she had come together with her to be her girlfriend. “That is so not fair! I want to help with this cake, too, you know!” She tried to make her voice into a whine, to try to get Lucy to give her a break about all of this. She watched as Lucy was setting the cake pan on the counter, a swelled golden-brown cake within it.

“Oh, don't you worry, Tara.” said Lucy, pulling a butter knife out a drawer and starting to dig into the outer edges of the cake. “I will let you do plenty with this cake, in time. You'll do plenty, I promise you. Just let me handle all of the hot stuff, for now. Once we can start cutting the extra off the top, I promise I'll let you do as much as you want!” Lucy had a grin on her face, knowing full-well that Tara couldn't do much with the cake, at this point. Depriving her girlfriend of something she wanted to do wasn't entirely fun, but it did allow her to do most of this cake, just as she had hoped for.

Tara did not like this at all. She wanted to help with this cake. It was always exciting to help Lucy with cooking, but at this rate, she wasn't going to get much done on it. She had helped her by putting an egg into the batter and getting some of the supplies out, but almost all of it was done by Lucy. She landed on Lucy's shoulder as she was picking up and turning over the pan. The pan came down to the counter, on top of a glass cutting board and Tara yelped from the dinging sound that she heard when the metal met the glass. It had surprised her, quite a bit. Before long, though, the pan was moved and the cake was on it's own, laying on the board.

Lucy now took the time to turn the cake over and set it upright. As she did so, they could both see the form of it moving around a little bit, jiggling from the impact and movement from being so fresh from the oven. Lucy got out a large saw-blade knife, and set it down next to the cake. “Alright, well that's all that can be done right now! We need to wait a few minutes, for it to cool off. Would you care to...Tara?” Lucy called for Tara, watching her fly over to the counter and land next to the knife that Lucy had just placed. It was longer than she was tall and she sat herself down, right next to it. “Tara...what are you doing?”

Tara had a stubborn side to her. She wanted to do something to help prepare this cake for whatever they were preparing it for, and that was all there was to it. She wasn't going to miss working on it from any more cleaning, washing up, gathering ingredients, or anything else. She was going to sit down, right there, and not go anywhere. She crossed her arms and looked up at Tara. “I'm gonna sit right here. Whenever this thing is cool enough to be worked on, I'm gonna make sure I work on it! I don't care how long it takes. I'm going to be right here, and when it's ready, it's getting cut up and tasted, by me!”

Lucy started laughing under her breath. Tara had an insane amount of determination in her system. It was quite admirable, actually. She wanted to do something so badly that she was willing to sit by that hot cake until which time that it could be worked on. She had to have a lot of patience to be able to do that. Assuming, of course, she stayed there the whole time. Pulling a chair towards the counter, Lucy sat herself down by her and patted her head with her right index finger. “Okay, sweetie. You just stay here and you'll be the first to work on the cake in a little while.”

Giving a stern nod, Tara looked and stared at the cake for almost half an hour. It was almost as if she hadn't even blinked that entire time. Neither of them said a word, Lucy wanting to see how long Tara could keep this up, and Tara intent on staying near the cake until she could work on it. Unlike Lucy's theory, Tara made it all the way until it was cool enough. Lucy got up from the chair and began to speak. “Well, I think we've waited long enough. We can start cutting it...” She stopped talking when she saw Tara's body immediately jump into the air and hover the huge knife next to her, slicing right into the top layer of the cake. “...now.”

Tara was going into overdrive with the cake, at this point. Within a matter of seconds, all of the extra layers of the cake had been removed and deposited in piles around the cutting board. As Tara got finished, the knife flew across the room, landing in the sink. Lucy watched all of this in amazement. She'd never seen Tara work so fast. “Wow, Tara. Nice job. I didn't know you could work so fast. You can go go ahead and try some now if you....want.” She was stopped,once again, this time to laugh. Tara looked up at her, stuffing a giant piece of cake, nearly half her height into her mouth...