- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lucy sets Tara on a pillow in the middle of the night, heading towards the kitchen to begin setting up for the party...

Lucy was lying in bed at night a couple days later, staring up at the ceiling. Tara was comfortably snuggled up into the crook of her neck, sound asleep. She finally had some time where she could think and discuss things, mentally, about what she was going to do about this party. Things had been so hectic and emotional lately, she didn't hardly have the time to fully plan this out. She sighed as she flexed her right elbow, bringing her hand up near her face. Her fingers began to softly stroke her girlfriend's hair as she started to think about the next day, and what it would bring.

“Tomorrow's the big day” she whispered to herself. Her eyes moved down, looking in the direction of where Tara was sleeping. A grin came across her face, listening to the near-silent breathing that Tara was producing. “My little angel, I'm going to give you the best day I possibly can. I hope you like what I'm going to be doing.” Lucy's affection for Tara had never wavered. If anything, it was getting stronger as every day passed by. Spending more time around Tara made her more emotional about everything, and this party was a very emotional event for her. She'd been so worried that the secret would get out, and it almost did. Thankfully, though, it didn't. Now, she would still be able to surprise Tara with this birthday party.

Lucy's eyes then darted towards the closet. The room was dark, but the moon was shining in all it's brilliance in the sky that night, bringing in enough light to fill in a portion of the room, right around the closet and part of the bed. Although the rest of the room was dark and almost void of all light, she could see the closet clearly, and a clock that hung on the wall, next to it. “Almost midnight” she said, calmly. She took a deep breath, going through her schedule in her head, and realized that she would have to get up soon. She had to get things ready for this party when Tara wasn't awake. Moving her hand a bit, she gently and slowly pulled her girlfriend into her palm, away from her neck.

She hardly moved Tara at all. Her body was pulled upward, slightly, and it was set down on Lucy's pillow. Lucy watched her, making sure she wasn't going to wake up. Once she saw that she wasn't, she picked herself up and got out of bed. Walking towards the other side of the bed, she leaned over and provided the very top of Tara's head with a small kiss. “Sleep well, Tara. I'll be back before you know it.” She stood back up, looking at the adorable scene. Her doll-sized girlfriend was curled up on the pillow, still sleeping like a baby. Lucy turned herself around, the closet her next destination.

She had been a bit nervous about Tara being awake as she set up for the birthday party. With how much time the two of them spent together, night was really the only time she could really spend on these decorations. Tara had helped her make the cake, but this was a little different. Setting up streamers and banners that spelled out “Happy Birthday, Tara” wouldn't exactly be any way to hide the secret. Lucy had to do all of these decorations, herself. She didn't mind it, though. She wanted to do as much, herself, for this party. This was going to allow her to do a lot. Not even being midnight yet also gave her plenty of time. Tara normally didn't wake up until around 8 in the morning. That left her more than enough time to decorate for a birthday party.

The closet door opened, quietly, and Lucy pulled three plastic bags out of it. Her arms were pulled downward, not everything in the bags being incredibly light. She moved her feet, her socks touching the floor as she walked. She went abnormally slow, trying to avoid hitting anything, or causing anything that would make enough noise to wake her girlfriend. She, eventually, made it to the kitchen, where she could set everything down. Two of the bags hit the floor, while one of them was pulled up and set down on the table. She started pulling out decorations and laying them out on the table, grinning at the sight of them.

Tossing one plastic bag in the trash, she pulled up the other two, setting them on chairs as she started to unpack them. She had everything you'd expect from a party as the table began to get filled up with decorations. She had gifts, streamers, banners, hats, and more. After getting everything set out, she tossed the other two bags into the trash and began to think of what else she was going to need to start setting these things up. “Hmm...okay, I've got all this out now. Oh! The cake. Right, I forgot.” She turned towards the counter, where she had the cake in a plastic container. She walked over towards it and revealed it.

“Okay, so I need to set this stuff up and decorate the cake. Let's see...I'll need my stepping stool, icing, candles, a lighter, some tape and clips, and...I think that's it.” She was making a mental list of materials as she was thinking about the situation and what she would now have to do. It wasn't enough just to have the cake and streamers and such. She also needed what she needed to put it on the ceiling and the walls. She walked to a closet in the middle of the kitchen and pulled out a small, folding stepping stool from between it and the counter. She set it by the chairs and went back to the counter, opening a small drawer.

She came back to the table, again, setting down more supplies. The table was starting to get filled up with all of the decorations, the cake materials she'd bought at the store, and now a box of clips and tape. She took a look at everything, and she thought she was almost ready. All she needed now was some paper material, a nozzle, and the icing. Leaving the table again, she left to fetch what she needed. It all came out of a separate drawer from the one she had been digging through earlier. After getting it out, and rolling the paper into a small, metal nozzle, she returned and picked up the icing, grinning and looking back towards the cake.

She came to the cake, itself, and set all of her supplies down. From a tray in front of her, she pulled out a spoon and set it down by the two canisters of icing. One was red, just like Tara's robes. After removing the lid from the icing, she started digging into it. She scooped part of the other canister into the nozzle and set it to the side. Opening up a drawer and pulling out a large, flat knife, she began digging into the red icing and spread it across the cake. “Alright. Now we can get down to business. One fabulously-decorated birthday cake, coming up!”

She was having fun, hoping that Tara was still sound asleep...