- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Oh geez, an update from me. Surprising, right? I wanted to do this sooner, but so much stuff is going on asdfasfgfa. Sorry about the chapter thing. 

__________

While I could pretty much handle Daniel's mixed fear and rage when he saw me, this was horrible. Allison was utterly terrified of me, just because of what I was. I didn't have a single clue as to what I should say or do. Would I make it worse? Kneeling down, I looked over to Daniel in hope that he could give me advice as to how I could approach this situation. He simply shrugged. I sighed and looked back down to Allison, hoping I would be able to talk enough fear out of her in order to continue on.

“Allison?” I began carefully. “I heard about what happened to your family. I can't imagine having to live with such torment. But I'm not like the giant that attacked your town. Words would not be able to express how absolutely terrible I think that was. I would never be able to even begin thinking about doing anything remotely like that.”

Allison looked up from her sorrow and I could easily see her raw eyes and frightened face. I felt awful. I hated that I could scare people so easily because of my size alone, though I honestly couldn't blame them. Gingerly, I reached down and scooped Allison's tiny form into my palm, closely watching her frantically look around my hand in sheer horror. I lifted her to my face and gave her a warm smile. She gaped at my gargantuan facial features for several minutes before looking down at the flesh she was sitting on. She placed her shaking hand down on mine, as if trying to compare the sizes, and silently gasped, barely loud enough for me to hear. Looking up at my face again, I saw her expression lacked the instinctive terror that it had moments ago, and was replaced by uncertainty. Progress! I smiled at her again. To my surprise, she stood up, walked over to my thumb, and grasped hold of my it in what seemed to be a hug. I was utterly shocked.

“...Allison?” I asked after a minute had passed by. Allison let go and wiped her eyes before looking up at me.

“I'm sorry,” she said with hesitation, “I don't know what came over me.”

“It's perfectly fine.” I said with a reassuring grin. “Are you still afraid of me?”

“Yes, but...not as much, I think.” She said, and actually returned my smile.

“Well, that means a lot.” I said and started to put her down, but I felt her tap on my thumb.

“Wait...could you actually hold me?”

I looked at her, bewildered. “Seriously?”

“I feel safe.” She said sheepishly.

“Of course.”

I looked down to see Daniel by my knee, looking up at us questioningly.

“Coming?” I asked, lowering the hand that contained Allison.

“I'm glad you two are managing to get along.” He said as he carefully stepped on next to his sister.

“Well.” I said, nodding to the newly opened pathway. “Are we ready to get on with this?”

My two companions glanced at each other before looking up at me and nodding.

 

I walked over to the entrance to the new room, eyes scanning the walls for signs of more traps. I didn't see anything, but I sure as hell wasn't going to overlook something like the holes in the other room again. Damn that hurt. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to keep walking; I hadn't expected the pain to increase so much from walking such a short distance.

Daniel's voice shattered my thoughts. “Lynn?”

“Yeah?” I asked, lifting my hand so that I could see him. Had he noticed my pain?

“Are you...sure you're alright?”

I didn't think I was being so obvious about my injury, but apparently he could tell.

“Lynn, look behind you.” He said as if he knew what I had been thinking.

I turned around and almost dropped Daniel and Allison in shock. A trail of blood followed my steps, and I looked down to see that my wounds had opened up when I was walking. Holy hell, it was worse than I had thought. Suddenly feeling dizzy, I stumbled back against a wall and sat down, placing the pair of humans on my shoulder. I tore off a small piece of my shirt and pressed it against the area where the bleeding was the worst.

“This is my fault.” Allison suddenly cried from my shoulder. “I'm so sorry, Lynn.

“Don't be silly, Allison. We had to get you down from there; it's my fault for not paying closer attention to the trap.”

“I think we're okay to rest here for a while. It's not much use to walk with that injury, Lynn.” Daniel said.

“I suppose.” I said as I stretched out my legs with a sigh.

 

I plucked Daniel and Allison from my shoulder and held them in front of me.

“What?” Daniel finally asked after a minute of sitting there while I observed him and his sister.

“Just looking at you. I've never really met any humans before.” I paused and gave them a grin. “You really are tiny.”

“Tiny?” Daniel asked, playing along. “We're not tiny. You're just enormous.”

I faked a pout. “Are you calling me fat, Daniel? That's not very nice to say to a lady.”

Allison quietly giggled, while Daniel's face grew red.

“I'm just teasing. Are all humans this easy?” I asked with a wide smile. I genuinely enjoyed talking with these two. It made it easy to forget about the situation we were in.