- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Reading the first story Friend or Foe isn't entirely necessary to understand the plot. You should be able to piece together most of what happened. Hope you enjoy the first few chapters.

1. Lost and Found

It's a breezy summer day in the middle of July, surely many people would enjoy being active. Adolescence out of school and enjoying time at home, on vacation, or hanging out with their friends. Or perhaps being a bickering mother and daughter.

" Mom why are we here at the river, this is such a waste of time." Louise moaned as she walked behind her mother along side her best friend Jenna, the trio walking along the rivers edge.

" She's right, what sixteen year old would want to be walking by this lake when we could be talking to boys or dating." Jenna dreamily said putting her hands at her cheeks at the thought.

" First of all we're at a river not a lake." Elise replied to Jenna with a huff clearly irritated by her complaining and her best friend. " Besides getting some fresh-air would be god for you both, even if neither of you are dressed to be walking outdoors for today." Elise finished pointing out their attires.

Elise was quite correct, Louise was dressed in a black sleeveless shirt and dark blue denim jeans. Jenna no better with a tube top and a short skirt on. A stark contrast to Elise's yellow t-shirt and shorts on.

" All I'm saying is I don't want to be out." Louise rolled her eyes wanting this field trip to be over already.

"Kids these days, no appreciation for nature. Fine hang tight here for a little while longer and walk a bit, I'm going to gaze at some sights." Elise said giving in and walking into a more wooded area leaving Louise and Jenna alone for the moment.

" Is your mom still trying to re-connect with you Louise?" Jenna asked, continuing to walk and made sure to ask that once Elise was out of sight.

" Key-word 'trying' I don't see what the point is we're hardly a family anymore." Louise shrugged her shoulders slightly.

" Oh come on, maybe she's hurting as much as you are. Good thing I'm only here with you both over the summer this year, I don't think your mom could take it if I was her geological daughter." Jenna care-freely responded.

" Shut up Jenna, the sooner we go home the better and it's 'biological' you dope." Louise sarcastical replied continuing her walk with Jenna.

" Still it's not like you've been doing much of anything the past month since your sister. ."

" Jenna! Enough!" Louise snapped, cutting off Jenna from finishing her statement. " You know sometimes you don't know when to keep your mouth shut."

" Sorry sorry miss crabby pants. Come on lets turn around and go back now." Jenna lazily responded stopping in her tracks.

" Yeah that's the smartest thing you've said all day." Louise boredly said taking a few more steps forward, before she turned around to head back but instead found herself on a pit-stop in tripping to the round.

" Ouch! Dammit!" Barked an annoyed Louise.

" And you call me a ditzy klutz." Jenna chuckled at Louise's mishaps.

" No, I tripped on something, What the heck was it?" Louise questioned getting up to her and turning around to look down at whatever caused her fall.

" What the. ." Louise looked down but she couldn't quite identify what the object was being that it was covered in dirt and a bit of mud in most areas. She crouched down to get a closer look and used her index finger to brush off some of the dirt on whatever it was.

" Eew, you're really going to touch some dirty thing you see on the ground." Jenna looked rather disgusted.

Louise paid no mind to Jenna's comment as she unraveled more of the form of the thing she tripped on. However, her green eyes lit up at what she realized it be, she even brushed her red-highlighted blond hair out of the way to be sure she wasn't hallucinating.

" A. . .t-tiny. person!?!? M-mom!!!!" Louise screamed hopping back some, clearly startled at her recent discovery.

" A tiny person, what are y- eek!! A bug!?" Jenna shrieked looking down at the same area that Louise was.

" No you idiot! It's a person look closer!" Louise screamed pointing down at it.

Surely enough Louise was right, it was a miniature person laying face down and very dirty, not to mention naked to the core, save for a piece of duct tape hanging loosely off of his body.

In a minute Elise came running up to Louise and Jenna, hearing both of their screams.

" What's the matter!?!" Elise asked looking about, suspecting something to have happened.

" Look down." Louise stated somewhat nervously, pointing to what she was referring to.

" Oh my god. . ." Elise said in absolute awe once she stared to the ground.

" Is that a . . .miniature person?" Elise asked not sure like Louise was before if she was only imagining things.

" It's real." Louise assured Elise; not that she was much more sure herself.

" Hold on, luckily since I'm a doctor I keep some gloves handy." Elise said reaching into her pockets and taking out a pair of medical gloves. After putting them on, Elise slowly picked up the tiny body and placed it into one of her hands. Using her free hand to prod the body a couple of times she checked for a pulse and to see if it was even alive.

" Um. . .is it alive?" Jenna asked trying to break the silence.

" It's a boy, and it was tough but I can feel his pulse, it's pretty weak though. His body feels very cold, he could be in a state of hypothermia. It also seems like there's some water in his lungs, he's in pretty bad shape. He's wounded all over and they're infected, some of his bones may even be fractured. If I had to guess he's been in a comatose for the last week." Elise explained in her analysis.

Louise seemed utterly shocked at what she heard, while in Jenna's case every last word seemed to go over her head.

Elise bit her bottom lip a bit before drawing her conclusion" He needs help badly, we have to take him home with us." Elise bit her bottom lip a bit,

Chapter End Notes:

I wonder who that could be.