- Text Size +

I can't believe today is the first day I'm going to school! Painfully, the days passed by to today, the first day of school! My mom had registered me into the school and I got my classes based off of a test I did for them the day I registered. They told me they were surprised at my intellect, no hard feelings intended. I had gotten a 96% on the test that was 9th grade level. They told me I would get honors math and English. I have no idea what "honors" classes are, but I bet they are fun. I have no idea how I'm going to get around, I'm about 4 inches, more or less. I just hope people watch where they walk. I doubt it though. Who always looks down before every step? No one. Unless you don't like step on bugs, then they look down every step. I'm just so excited. My mom got everything ready. I sharpened some pieces of lead from a pencil to try to make a makeshift pencil my size. Mom also packed me my lunch. Which is basically a crumb to regular sized people, but to me, it's a good meal. I grab the sandwich wrapped in plastic and I put it in my back pack. A barbie doll backpack painted my desired color. I stand o the table, waiting for Selena. I hear her coming down the steps and around the corner.

"Are you ready Micheal?" She asks me as she sets her hand down next to me, palm side up.

"Yup." I say.

I stand onto her hand and she gets a good grip on me.

"Now remember Micheal, be very careful. Try to not get hurt. I love you Micheal. And I love you too Selena." My mom says.

"Okay mom, I will. I love you too." I say.

Right when we're about to walk through the door, my mom grabs Selena's arm and whispers something to her. Selena nods and continues to walk out the door. I feel a bit suspicious. What did my mom tell Selena? As we're walking to the bus stop, I ask Selena what mom told her.

"I can't tell you." She says with a tiny smile on the corner of her lips.

"Why not?" I reply.

"It's a secret, and I told you, it wouldn't be a secret." Selena says.

"But, if it's a secret and mom told you, that means it's not a secret anymore. So tell me!" I say.

"Touche." She says.

"Thanks." I say.

What does "Touche" mean? I've never heard of that word. I just sit down on Selena's soft, coconut-smelling palm and look at the sun. It's barely up. The sky is still a light shade of blue and I feel a little breeze. But then the breeze gets colder and colder and I realize I don't have a jacket. I sit closer to Selena's thumb, and I try to wrap her fingers around me. She has her hand in the air, palm side up, so it was a bit difficult. I eventually get her fingers over me. Her fingers are soft and warm. Like giant teddy bears. I look up and see Selena looking at me in her hand all comfortable. I see her smile a bit, but then she raises her head again to look at the sidewalk. I wonder what Jack and Jazzmine are doing. I think Jazzmine went to school and Jack is just at the house with mom. Or he might be watching something on our "TV". That reminds me, I brought my phone with me. I pull it out and look at the time. 7:12 AM.

"Hey Selena, is it okay to use our phones in class?" I ask her.

"Nope, if a teacher catches you, you'll get the phone taken away until the end of the day." Selena says.

"Okay, thanks." I say.

I turn off my phone and shove it into my left pocket. I see the bus stop sign ahead of us. I have a feeling Selena doesn't like carrying me.

"Selena, are you okay with carrying me? I could walk from here." I ask her.

"It's okay, and you wouldn't make it to the bus at this size. I mean you wouldn't be able to reach it." She says.

"Well, can I sit in your shirt pocket? I know you holding your hand out is making your arm tired." I ask her.

"Okay then." She says. With her right hand, she gently wraps her fingers around my waist and slowly lifts me into the air. Then, she tucks me in her shirt pocket.

"Does anyone else come to this bus stop?" I ask as I wiggle around in the pocket, trying to get comfortable.

She giggles and says "Yes, but stop moving around so much, you're tickling me."

"Oh, sorry. Who else comes here?" I ask, as I stop moving.

"My best friend Gina." She tells me.

"Have I met her?" I ask.

"Nope, so she'll be surprised to see you."

"Will she try to squish me?"

"No silly. I'll tell her you're my brother, and to be careful where she walks in school."

"Oh, okay thanks sis."

We reach the bus stop and we wait. Selena stands with her backpack and I stand up in her shirt pocket as well. It's quite comfortable in here. It's soft and warm and close to her heart. Soon, I hear footsteps to my left. Loud and solid, like the person is wearing boots. I look to my left and see a tall, blonde girl in boots. She has quite a bit of makeup on her face. Her hair reaches down to her shoulders and a bit farther. Is this Gina?

"Selena? Is that you?" She says.

"Hey Gina!" She says.

"It's so good to see you! How's Jazzmine?" She asks Selena.

I guess she never told Gina about me. Figures, I've never seen Gina at our house before.

"She's good. How's your mom?" Selena asks.

"She won't stop crying over the crash." She says.

"Crash? What crash?" I say by accident, curious of what they're talking about.

"What was that?" Gina asks Selena.

"Gina, I have to tell you something. Have you met my brothers?" Selena asks Gina.

"Brothers? What brothers?" Gina questions Selena.

"This is one of them. His name is Micheal." Selena says.

Selena moves her hand over the pocket and reaches in and pulls me out.

"What is that?!" Gina shouts, pointing at my tiny form.

"My brother!He was born like this." Selena says.

"Is this a trick?" Gina asks, looking at me closely.

"It's not. You can hold him, if he's okay with it.

Both of the girls look at me. I nod and Gina picks me up out of Selena's hand. She carefully prods me in my chest with her index finger.

"Wow.... just... Wow!" Gina says.

Gina hands me back to Selena. I sit in her palm, looking at Gina's astonished face.

"Why are you here Micheal?" Gina asks me.

"I'm going to go to school. With you and Selena." I reply.

"Really? No offense, but at your tiny size, people would squish you! This is a bit too dangerous." Gina says.

"I know, but I wanna socialize, and this is the perfect way." I say.

"Guys, the bus is coming!" Selena says.

We all look to our left. I see a yellow bus with black stripes. The bus drives up to the curb and the doors open with a pneumatic hiss. I look at the bus driver. She waits for us to get on the bus. I guess there's no turning back now.