- Text Size +
Selena takes the first step inside, of course. The bus reeks of soda and dirty socks. I feel eyes on me, especially the bus driver's. Whispers flow around me, fingers pointing at me, eyes clawing at me. My stomach feels odd, like I'm about to throw up. Selena is on the bus and I see all the pairs of eyes looking at me, wondering what I am. We walk down the isle, and the whispers grow louder and the eyes of several teens are glued to me. The different colored eyes. Then, someone from the back says what everyone is thinking.

"What the fuck is that?"

Everyone pipes up. I hear a few people agree and say "yeah, what the hell is that thing?".

"It's a doll!" A girl with blonde hair and green eyes says.

"No, it's an action figure!" A short weird-looking boy with glasses says.

"I'll tell you what it is. It's none of your business!" Gina says behind me and Selena.

We're almost to our seats when people start grabbing and I see hands flaring up to get me. Skinny fingers, fat fingers, gloved fingers, they all come at me. I shield myself, shouting for them to get away. Selena keeps the hands back until one grabs me. I feel my left leg being pulled, like it's about be ripped off. I'm dragged off Selena's palm screaming. Everything is upside down. I'm dropped into an awaiting palm of someone. The skin is soft and light-colored. I hear shouts around me as I look up into the eyes of the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. Her face is round, and her caramel colored eyes look at me. A single lock of brown hair falls in front of her face. She is beautiful. But before I know it I'm pulled away, back into the safety of Selena's hand. She keeps me close to her stomach as she forces her way through the hands, into her seat. Gina follows.

"Alright, enough! Or you're all off the bus!" I hear the bus driver say.

The teens in the bus settle down. My left leg still hurts, but it was worth it, I guess. I need to know who that girl is. A name.

I look up at Selena and say "What's the name of the girl that had me in her hand?"

She lowers her head and says "What?"

"I said, what is the name of the girl that had me in her hand?" I say again.

"Oh, that's Tess. She used to be my friend, but we just stopped talking one day. Why do you want to know?"

"Uh..... No reason, just curious."

"Are you okay? You know, since your leg was almost ripped off."

"I'm good. Real good." I whisper the last part.

"What was that last part?"

"Nothing."

Selena looks back up as I sit in her hand. I'm confined against Selena's hand and her skinny stomach. The normal shouts and murmuring of the bus return. I barely notice I've been breathing heavily, because of the rush. Is this how class will be? I hope not. But hopefully I'll see Tess again. She's really pretty and I would love to know more about her. The bus suddenly stops and everyone gets up. The people in the back walk to the door, staring at me as they come. I'm starting to feel very uncomfortable. After the last person gets off, Selena, Gina, and me get off.

As we step off, I hear the bus driver say "Good luck on your first day little guy."

"Thank you." I shout just loud enough so she can hear me.

We step off the bus and as she is about to close the door, she says "You're really gonna need it."

The door closes and she drives off. I gulp. Why would I need luck that bad? Is this school really bad? All I can do is wish she over-exaggerated. Selena carries me into the main hallway, or lobby, or whatever it's called. I see an odd glass box showcasing art. Pieces of food made of clay, and painted to look real. Boots, bedazzled with marbles. Paintings that look like they were made by artists. It's so beautiful. But Selena keeps walking. To my right, I see a door with a sign that says "BAND" above it. Farther down I see two blue couches with guys and girls sitting on them. Then, a long hallway with even more beautiful paintings. And doors that lead to classes. I take a quick look to my left and see a pair of doors with a sign that says "GYM" above it. Through the small rectangle of glass in the door, I see girls, throwing basketballs. Looking back to my right, I see a trashcan and a waterbottle vending machine. On my left and right are posterboards of pictures. Pictures from Halloween, "Metals and Woods Class" and pictures of the students making art.

We walk into a little square of space. On my left, a trophy case, full of trophies from Wrestling, Football, Basketball, and even Volleyball. Pictures of the students, even black and white pictures from a long time ago. Gold statues of a person with a bat swinging, a statue of a football. A picture of a football team. It must be old, since the photo is black and white. To my right, a "Concession Stand" awaits. A small little block, built into the rest of the building, with blue metal shutters that are down. A table sits in the middle of the space. And farther away from us another double-door stands, leading to a patio with trees and tables. Then, as we walk, I see a restroom and another entrance to the gym. And an opening into the "Cafeteria". But we keep walking, and we pass a vending machine with chubby kids there, putting five-dollar-bills in. Then, I see the real main lobby. Several blue couches sit in the middle. I see one large office to my left, with the word "ADMINISTRATION" above it in large silver letters. A girl sits in a chair on the phone, in the office, with a few doors to other offices behind her. 3 canvasses sit above the letters, to make one big painting of a sun rising over a mountain. I look to my right, a small office with the word "ATTENDENCE" in large silver letters. And to my very right is a library, with Bronze metal. There are carvings in the metal. Selena walks into a hallway that is between the attendence office and the library. There is a sign above the hallway that said "9th Grade Hallway". She walks to a class that says "Mr.Alvarado: Health Class". She opens the door and I see a male teacher sitting at his desk, with gray hair and stubble.

"Yes?" He says with a spanish accent.

"I came to drop off Micheal Dixon. The new 'special student'." Selena says, with emphasis on the "special student" part.

I'm the "special student"?

"Oh, I have heard about him. Welcome to class Micheal, feel free to choose any seat you like." He replies.

I look up at Selena and I point to the seat in the very front. She walks to the front and drops me off onto the desk. And before I can even say thanks, she's out the door. I turn to face the board and I get all my supplies ready. Mr. Alvarado just sits in his chair, doing something. The room is filled with diagrams of the body, and a skeletal system model sits in the front. The room floor has several desks and chairs. As I finish looking around, the bell rings. Am I ready for this?