- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The end is nigh!
Trouble In A Bottle: Chapter 20

" Zarelda is still in the apartment, sir. I will call if there are any developments. "

Jared hung up the phone. He and Lilian had been sitting in the apartment complex's parking lot for hours now on Joseph's orders. They were to report on Zarelda's activity every twenty minutes. So far, Zarelda had not left the apartment once. Joseph had chosen Lilian and him for this assignment because they both specialized in sensory magic. They could remain cloaked and track Zarelda's position simultaneously.

It was currently 9:43 PM, the operation was set to begin at 10:30 PM. Suddenly, he heard Lilian suck in a raspy breath.

" Need a dri-- " Jared stopped as he looked over at her. Blood was spurting from a wound in her neck. " Lilian! What happened?! "

He started to reach over to stop the bleeding, but froze when something punctured his own throat. He moved to put a hand to his neck and was stopped by someone grabbing his wrist. Jared turned his head to see Zarelda grinning at him wickedly through the cars open window. He tried to speak and coughed on his blood.

" Fools. You think you're so clever cloaking your magic, but two presences sitting in a car for hours is still quite suspicious. Then I had to wait for you to report to your master. "

Zarelda pulled the dagger from Jared's throat. The light faded from his eyes. The woman was already dead. Zarelda put a hand on Jared's shoulder and teleported his body away to the ocean. She did the same to Lilian's body. " Now I can get to work without looking over my shoulder for a little while. "

She teleported back into the apartment. Grabbing a bag off the floor, she started to change out of her clothes. She put on a red two piece bikini that didn't leave anything to the imagination. Zarelda went into the kitchen and picked up a large vial she had conjured earlier. Using a spoon, she filled it with the freshly made powder. She also pulled a bottle of wine she had bought the previous day out and two wine glasses.

Leaving them on the counter, she got a black hooded jacket from the closet and slipped into a pair of Shaun's large flip flops. Zarelda put the vial into the jacket's pocket. She picked up the bottle and glasses in each hand. Zarelda walked out of the apartment and realized she had no idea where apartment 24B was.

" Dammit, I should've found it sooner. Started seducing that idiot days ago. " she growled stalking down the hallway.

After wandering around for awhile, she found a map of the complex. A few minutes later she arrived at the door to Raul's apartment and knocked. There was no answer for a couple moments, then the door opened.

" Oh, hey! If it isn't the bus girl. I realized after I left you at the bus stop I never asked you your name. I honestly never thought I'd see you again. " Raul said happily.

" Hey, Raul. It's Zarelda by the way. " she said extending her hand.

Raul accepted her hand shake. His eyes widened when he saw what she was wearing.

" So, uh, you planning on going swimming? It's kinda late don't you think? "

" Yes, I am. I was actually wondering if you would like to come along. " she said raising the bottle and glasses.

" Seriously? We hardly even know each other. Isn't this kind of sudden? "

" Well, the first thing you should know about me is that I move through life quickly. I don't like to waste time. "

" Hmph. Alright then. I can respect that. Just give me a few minutes to get my swim trunks and I'll be right out. " Raul laughed.

" Okay. " Zarelda said grinning.

Five minutes later, he came out in shorts with a towel around his neck and no shirt on.

" You ready? "

" Yes. "

The two walked over to the pool without talking. Raul opened the gate surrounding the pool with a key he pulled from his pocket. He put his towel and the key on one of the chairs around the pool. Getting a running start, he jumped into the water.

" Ay! Be prepared it's a little cold. " he said breaking the surface.

" Haha, alright "

Zarelda kicked off her flip flops and put the jacket on the nearest chair. She turned her back to Raul and pulled the cork out of the bottle with her mind.

" You do want some of this right? " she asked sweetly.

" Yeah, sure. "

Stealthily, Zarelda slipped the vial out of the jacket's pocket and poured all of it into the bottle. She filled up the two glasses with the wine and drank from hers.

" Here you go. " Zarelda said handing him his glass.

" Garcias. " he said and took a drink.

A large, wicked smile broke out on Zarelda's face. This was the beginning of Zarelda's revenge. The moment Raul drank the wine, she had won. There would be no stopping her now! She slid down into the cool water.

" Let's speed the process up. " Zarelda thought.

The dose she had given Raul was much larger than the minuscule amount she'd given Shaun. This amount combined with the alcohol was already going to make short work of him, but getting his heart beating would only quicken the effect.

" So, Zarelda? Where'd that name come from? It's pretty unique. "

" I'm not sure. My mother told me it is a very, very old name. Let's not waste time talking about names though. I like you, Raul. A lot. "

She took his face in both of her hands and kissed him. Raul was stunned for a moment, but returned the kiss. They kissed for minutes in the water, wrapping their arms around each other. After some time, Zarelda felt Raul start to dwindle in her grasp. She finally pulled away.

" I was not expecting that. " he said breathing heavily.

" I figured you could use a small break. Drink your wine. " she said taking another drink.

Raul drained the rest of his glass. " Can I have some more? "

" Of course. "

She refilled his glass and he took another sip. There was now a noticeable size change of Raul. He had obviously lost some inches. So far, he failed to notice the difference.

" Did you just recently move to Arizona? You're awfully pale for a local. "

" No, I've lived here my whole life. I moved to these apartments because the price wasn't bad and they were nice. " Zarelda lied.

" This place is pretty nice, huh? I moved here to be closer to mi madre. I worry about her living alone. "

" That's sweet. Well, you ready to go again? "

In truth, she just wanted him to stop talking.

" Yeah. "

They started to kiss passionately again. Raul continued to steadily shrink in Zarelda's arms. Suddenly, he stopped and peered up at her.

" Are you standing on your toes? "

" No, why? "

" You seem a lot taller than before and... my feet aren't touching the bottom anymore! What the hell is happening?! "

" What are you talking about, Raul? " Zarelda grinned.

" I'm... I'm shrinking! This isn't possible! I have to go home and call an ambulance or something! "

Raul moved to get out of the pool, but Zarelda grabbed his shoulder.

" You're just going to leave me here? " she said with mock sadness.

" Are you stupid? I'm shrinking! I need a doctor. "

" I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this. "

She put both hands on his shoulders and forced him under the water. If she killed him the powder would lose its effect, but getting his heart pumping would make it work faster. Raul thrashed under the water, but his diminished size made it so he couldn't put up much of a fight. Zarelda's muscles tensed as she started to grow larger.

She let Raul up and immediately covered his mouth. He was now the size of a small child.

" Don't even think about yelling. I will kill you. "

Raul coughed under her hand while breathing heavily. Zarelda continued this treatment until Raul shrank down to inches tall. When she was done growing, she tossed him into the pool.

" Have fun, my little friend. I was going to kill you, but leaving you here to fend for yourself seems more fun. "

Zarelda stepped out of the pool. Her new height was near 12 feet tall. She wanted to become much bigger, but it was a start. Now, she needed to get a normal sized person to give her the rest of the powder. Her large feet stomped to the gate, making a lot of noise. She no longer cared if anyone saw her, she barely even feared the order now. She hopped over the gate and walked towards the parking lot. Giant footprints were left in the grass...

_________________________________________________________

Joseph hung up the phone with a concerned look on his face.

" Something isn't right. They aren't answering. I think we should go to the complex now and see what's happened. "

Joseph had called his scouts to tell them he had decided to move up the time of the operation and they didn't answer.

" I'll let the troops know. " Kuwale said and left the house.

Joseph turned back to Kyrie, Victoria, and Shaun who were all quietly sitting at the kitchen table.

" Alright, you three. I'm laying down the ground rules right now. We're going to be taking two vans to the apartment complex. You all will be riding with me and Kuwale. You stay in the van until I say otherwise. If any of you leave the van without my saying so, there will be consequences. If this all goes south and we must separate, try to stick with one of the order members. We will regroup here. Do you all understand? " Joseph said seriously.

" Yes. " All three said in unison.

" Okay. Let's go. "

Kyrie picked up Shaun and they all left the house. Two black vans were parked outside by the curb. Kuwale was standing by the front one talking to the men inside. Joseph lead them to the back one and slid open the side door. They piled inside. The van didn't move for a few minutes, but eventually rumbled to life.

Joseph pulled on a metal chest plate. He was already wearing black clothing and combat boots.

" What the hell is that? " Victoria asked.

" The order is very traditional. This is the armor we've worn for generations. They have many minor protective spells placed on them. "

" You order guys are a strange bunch, aren't you? "

" I suppose you could say that. "

" Are you confident you can capture Zarelda? " Shaun asked from Kyrie's hand.

" Zarelda is a strong sorceress. Against eight magic users even she should be no match. If she has already made the powder however... "

The group lapsed into silence for the remainder of the ride. When the van stopped completely, Joseph got out of the van.

" Wait here. " he said and closed the door.

" Zarelda is not in the apartment or the immediate area, sir. There is someone without magic in the apartment. " one of the agents said.

They had all put their masks on already and were dressed similarly in their black uniform, making it hard to tell who had spoken. Joseph looked around the parking lot and found what he was searching for.

" There's Jared's car. You go check it out, " he pointed to one of the agents " ,Kuwale, take someone with you and see who's in the apartment. Be careful. "

Kuwale nodded and pulled on his own mask. He tapped the nearest agent and left. Joseph put on his own mask while he waited. The agent who searched Jared's car returned after a few minutes.

" There's no sign of Jared or Lilian. There was some blood on each of the front seats. "

" Dammit! We're already down two magic users and we haven't even found Zarelda yet. "

Without Jared and Lilian, there were only six magic users left including himself. Kuwale did not have magic, but was an experienced combatant. Very few men could stand toe to toe with him. He was also one of the order's top assassins. Suddenly, Kuwale and the agent appeared in front of the van holding up a bloody man. It was David!

" David! Are you okay? "

" He's unconscious. One of you start seeing to his wounds. " Kuwale said moving him towards the empty van.

They opened the side door and laid him down inside the van. One of the agents leaned over him and started using healing magic.

" None of his wounds seem fatal. His left arm looks broken and he might have an infection. Other than that, I think he'll be fine with the right care. " Kuwale told the agent.

The agent raised his hands over David's arm and they began to glow. " I only know basic healing spells, sir. "

" Do what you can. We'll take him to a healer after the opera- "

Joseph stopped talking when he heard a rhythmic booming sound. And it was getting closer.

" Kuwale, do you hear that? "

Kuwale paused and listened for a moment. " All of you spread out. Something's coming towards us. "

The agents formed a half circle facing the direction the booming was coming from. A terrifying sight appeared before them. Zarelda stepped out from between two apartment buildings with an evil smile on her face. She was huge! A couple feet over ten feet tall.

" Ah! I was wondering when you all would come. You're just in time to see my new height. " she said happily.

" Zarelda! We will give you one chance to surrender! If you don't, we'll take you by force. " Joseph yelled trying not to let his doubt trickle into his voice.

" Hahahahaha! That's adorable! You think you and your small friends can fight me? Ha! You couldn't defeat me if I was normal sized! What chance do you have now? " Zarelda moved forward slowly.

The agents moved behind her until she was surrounded. She stood in the center of the circle with her arms crossed over her chest and her large foot smacking the ground. All she was wearing was a red two piece bikini and a playful grin. If he didn't know of her great evil, Joseph might find her attractive.

" Well, I don't think I'm going to be surrendering. I guess we should get to the fun part. "

Zarelda's hand flew up and shot lightning at Joseph. Joseph threw his hand up, raising a telekinetic shield. The lightning hit the shield, seemingly open air, and crackled furiously.

" Attack! " he commanded shooting lightning back at Zarelda with his other hand.

All of the agents shot their own spells at her. Most threw lightning at her as well, one fired a bolt of pure energy. Zarelda put up her own shield around herself. The spells hit the shield harmlessly. Zarelda returned fire. The fight continued like this for some time. Both sides firing and blocking enemy fire.

Suddenly, Zarelda rushed forward and kicked one of the agents full on. He flew back and hit his head on the metal roofing over a row of parking spots. His body fell to the ground in a heap. Kuwale ran over to Joseph while Zarelda's back was turned.

" We can't keep going like this. Civilians are starting to notice! You have to use the syringe! "

Joseph looked around and noticed that there were civilians coming out of their apartments. They watched in horror and amazement at the magical battle that was happening before their eyes. Some were on their phones, likely calling the police or worse.

" We can't get close to her without her... wait a minute. That's it! Keep her pinned down! "

Zarelda glanced at Joseph when he yelled this. This moment of distraction allowed one of the agents to hit Zarelda's flank with lightning, burning her skin. She hissed and stumbled from the pain. The rest of the agents took the opportunity to hit her with everything they had. Flames, lightning, and energy bolts blasted her from all sides.

Joseph teleported back to the vans to see Shaun, Kyrie, and Victoria behind one watching the battle.

" Didn't I tell you to stay in the van!? "

" Sorry! It was hard not to come out with all this shit going on! What's the matter? " Victoria said.

" Shaun, you said you wanted to help us right? "

" Yeah! What do you need? "

" Zarelda's more than we can handle now. We'll never be able to get close to her. I need you to take this and inject her with it. " Joseph said holding up the syringe from earlier.

" Are you crazy?! She's a fucking giant! He's five inches tall! She'll crush him without even knowing it! There's no way he's doing that! " Kyrie cried.

" Kyrie! I need to do this! If I can help them stop Zarelda, I have to do it. Please, Kyrie. " Shaun yelled from her hand.

Tears began to form in Kyrie's eyes. " A-Alright. I understand. I won't stop you. "

Shaun rubbed his cheek on her finger. " Kyrie, don't worry. I promise I'll come back over here just fine. "

" You better, little man. " she laughed.

" Be careful, Shaun. " Victoria said poking his stomach.

Shaun hopped onto Joseph's outstretched hand. He picked up the syringe, putting it on his hip. It was pretty heavy, but he could hold it for awhile. Joseph put his free hand on Kuwale's shoulder. They teleported back over to the battle. Shaun fell over as a wave of queasiness washed over him.

" Uuugggggghhhh. " he groaned slowly getting up.

" Sorry, I should've warned you about that. "

Zarelda had recovered from her momentary distraction. Her skin was still kneading back together from the onslaught. One of the agents was smashed into the roof of a car with its alarm blaring loudly. They were down to four magic users.

" Hold her down! Make sure she can't move from that spot! " Joseph yelled pointing to her feet.

Two of the agents moved close together. One threw up a shield, while the other raised both of his hands. Zarelda tried to advance on them, but her foot wouldn't rise off the ground.

" Go now! " Joseph said dropping Shaun onto the ground while Zarelda wasn't paying attention.

Shaun hoisted the syringe up on his shoulder and started running to Zarelda's gargantuan foot. Zarelda's curse was flaring stronger than ever before. He hadn't touched Kyrie or Victoria's feet in over a day. He didn't think it would matter much. How was he supposed to know that his target in helping with the operation was going to be Zarelda's foot? Shaun just hoped the curse wouldn't ruin everything. He did manage to fight it off this long.

High over his head the battle raged on. Zarelda was trying angrily to kill the agent trapping her to no avail. The remaining agents were shooting at her non-stop. At his size, the run to Zarelda's foot took about four minutes. He had built up a decent sweat from it, but luckily he was closing in on her foot.

Her giant toes were wiggling frantically trying to escape. Shaun arrived at her foot and took a moment to catch his breath, leaning on the syringe for support. Once he did, he pulled the cap off the syringe and lifted it up over his head. Shaun hesitated a moment and then brought the syringe down on Zarelda's foot...
Chapter End Notes:
To be concluded...