- Text Size +
CHAPTER 15:  Time To Kill     

     “You awake brother?"
     A voice.
     "I never told you my story did I?" Derek says. 
     I groan and I open my eyes, wondering how many concussions I've had in my life time. Probably more than a normal person could have and still be alive. I try to rub my head, but my arms won't move. They're tied behind my back. I look around. We're in a vent. Derek sits leaning against the wall, the nail-club lying beside him.
     "Well, we got some time to kill before Miranda comes to feed you din-dins, so I'm gonna tell you. Are you listening brother?
     I caught the virus when I was sixteen. Dad caught it about the same time. Him and Ma, they had never really got along before that. Always fighting. So when he shrunk, mom would sometimes tease him, push him around. He was always pissed. Used to take it out on me. Said if it wasn't for me, he would have left a long time ago and wouldn't be stuck there now in a fucking cage. Well, I couldn't stand being trapped in there with him. I would stare outside, waiting for my sister to come home. 
     See, from the cage I could see the front door. I would watch, every time she came in. She would do the same thing, step inside, toss the keys on the table, and shut the door with her foot.
    “So anyway, I dunno what started it. Could have been anything. But one day Pops was screaming up at her, and she was yelling down at him, and next thing I knew she was holding him face down in the food bowl with one finger and shoving a pencil up his ass. Hard. Raping my dad.
    “When she finished with him, she dropped the pencil in our cage and left. Eventually Pops crawled up out of the food, blood running down his leg. Stumbled over to me. I knew what was coming. I had just sat there and watched him get raped. So I just kept smiling. He broke my nose, some ribs. I must have looked like ground meat after.
    “That night when he was asleep, I dragged him out of bed and kicked his head into the cage till he stopped fighting back. Then I pulled him through a whole in the cage I had been working on for a while. Dragged him all the way across the room, my broken ribs and all. It was my pleasure. Tied him up with Ma's hair and left him on the floor in front of the door. And then we waited. He finally figured out what was gonna happen, but it was too late, he couldn't move. Finally Sis comes home, walks in the door, and wham! That was the end of Pops.”
     This whole time, Derek's face never shows any sign of regret, or pain, or anything. Not even a twinge. Just that fucking grin. He's a psychopath. I become very afraid.
     “I guess Ma and Sis didn't know what to do with me after that. I said it was an accident, but I bet they didn't believe me. Mom was happy, Sis not so much. They gave me to some place for shrunken dudes. A whole bunch of us there. Must have gave us a shot or something, cause none of us remembered much of what happened before we got there. Except me. I remembered that much." 
     "How did you remember?" I blurt out.
     Derek glares at me, his jaw protruding. I see his knuckles go white, and suddenly I realize I've made a mistake. I guess he doesn't like being interrupted. But thankfully he relaxes.
     "This may sound 'crazy' to you," he chuckles, eying me for some kind of response.
      I keep my mouth shout, 
     "It came to me in dreams," he says matter-of-factly."
     He's still looking at me, and I just nod. He continues, “I still don't remember the name of that place they took me though. It was gray. Bleak. Boring. Nothing to do. It was worse than the cage back home. I had to share it with about twenty other people. And we had to get shots.
      "You remember Keyla? Yeah. Keyla. She gave us shots, and took notes on her little electronic thingy. Experiments. Every week we would wait and see if any of us would go mentally insane.
     “This one guy, he started chattering. He was the quiet one before. Then all of a sudden he started talking so much he broke his jaw. Just kept talking away to himself in the corner, chipping his teeth down. Finally Keyla reached her big old hand down and took him away.
    “Another guy, we found him eating his friend's intestines one day in the bathroom. Had Torn the guy's stomach open with his fingernails and was just chomping away. We had to drag him off cause he wouldn't stop. Pulled the intestines out with him, all the way down the hall. Keyla took him away.
     “And that's how it went for a while. I saw what was going on. We would get shots, some of us would go nuts, and Keyla would take him away. Then more people would come in from outside, no memory. Pretty soon almost all the guys I came in with were gone. And there was no escaping that box, brother. Locked up tight. No way through the drains, no cables leading out or anything like that. Sealed plastic all the way around except for a hatch in the ceiling for the women. No way to reach that. No way out, 'cept one.
     “Every few days a nurse would drop in a crate of food for the twenty of us. I'd seen people try to grab onto her rubber glove when she put her hand all the way in, but she'd brush 'em off. Most of the time she would drop it in. 
     "So one day, me and this other guy, it's our turn to distribute the food. We were waiting there for her to drop it in. She drops it and I push buddy under the crate. Splat. Nobody wanted to eat anything that day. They all thought I had finally gone crazy. Me laughing the whole time must have helped. They held me down until Keyla came and took me away.
     “Anything was better than waiting to actually go insane. I tried to escape then, but there was never anywhere to go. Keyla caught me. Could have killed me then, but didn't. Put me in with a bunch of other crazies. Brother, I saw some fucked up shit there. 
     There were the mentals, but then there were the physicals. One bunch of guys, their skin looked like they was melting all the time. All mushy, hard to talk or breathe. Some others, all their bones had got too big or something and stuck out of their skin in places. They could barely move. Just kept crying in pain. 
     Oh, and this other guy, you're gonna love him. He had the biggest balls, twice the size of normal. Funniest thing I ever seen. He just couldn't stop jerkin himself off. 'So thirsty', he would say, pumping away and sweating. Sometimes he would manage to actually get off, but nothing would come out and he just kept going. You had to be there, funny shit.
     “So anyway, you probably know what happened next. Keyla took us all out back. Dumped us out. Told us it's our last chance to run. You should have seen them, brother. Imagine those guys trying to run. The mental ones, they started sprinting or cowering or whatever. But the rest, they crawled, or hobbled, whatever they could. I saw the one guy running, his big balls slapping his legs and still jerking off until he got squashed. I saw them all die, one by one. Don’t know why they would even want to keep living, being that way, but oh well.
     “But me, she left. I hid in a crack in the pavement, but I swear she looked right at me, like she knew where I was gonna be.
     "When she finished, I got up and I followed those arrows Eric made and got to Haven. I blended in. I knew the other guys were raping that girl, but I didn’t care about any of that. There’s no challenge there, no risk. I got a couple dudes killed, just for kicks, out in the restaurant foraging. But then you came along. And you changed everything, brother.
     "I can't kill you. So I'm gonna have to get my kicks some other way."