- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
After being away for two weeks in the middle of nowhere, and finished making up exams and essays, I finally found time to continue this story. I hope you guys enjoy it!
After finishing their meals, Terra was able to convince Icarus to have a drink. It was the sweetest kind the bar had, but Terra was glad that Icarus enjoyed it. It was comical to see both his hands holding onto the large tankard. As the night went on, Terra had started a conversation with some fellow adventurers. It was fun trading stories about times of both bravery and stupidity. Icarus’ thoughts over time seemed to become sluggish, but he was happy. He was currently enjoying a one sided conversation from an overly adamant traveler.

Terra was enjoying a story of how this man had single handedly killed an orc with nothing but a broken sword. Terra didn’t doubt it as the man stood a little over seven feet tall. He was easily seen as the fighting type. Even though the guy was fairly good looking, he wasn’t Terra’s type. He mustn’t have been too bright because he couldn’t tell that Terra wasn’t interested. It could have been the alcohol talking, but Terra enjoyed the attention to a minor degree.

There was only one person in the room currently that Terra liked. Love would probably be a better word, but it was best to take things slowly. Terra deeply enjoyed Icarus’ reactions when she would flirt. His attitude changing to extremely nervous was beyond cute. Terre let these thought pass through her mind, as the man switched to yet another story. The man seemed to steal a few glances now and then, and it was starting to bother her, but he was drinking. Terra had changed out of her regular leather armor into a light blue tunic. She thought this tunic was cute and it easily emphasized that Terra wasn’t a small chested girl.

Terra was wishing that Icarus was as bold as this guy was when a feeling on her thigh broke her out of her daydream. Looking down, Terra noticed the stranger’s hand touching her thigh. Terra was about to brush the hand away, when she felt a feeling of anger in the back of her mind. Before Terra could connect the dots, an empty tankard crashed into the side of the man’s face. It wasn’t enough to hurt him, but it was enough to get his attention.

At this moment, the entire room fell silent as the man stood to his feet to find out who threw the tankard. A second later, another empty tankard was thrown at the man’s face. This one was easily caught as the man now stared down the perpetrator. Leaning slightly against the table for support, stood Icarus.

She’s mine… Came a sluggish thought to Terra.

Before the guy could move towards Icarus, Terra had already crossed the room and picked Icarus up into her arms. Quickly explaining that Icarus was a little over protective, Terra apologized to the guy as she quickly left the room. Terra had to suppress a giggle as Icarus stuck his tongue out as they passed the guy.

“Are you trying to start a fight?” asked Terra making her way towards their room.

He started it replied Icarus.

“That guy was twice your size Icarus.” laughed Terra.

I could take him.

“You’re definitely drunk aren’t you?” asked Terra once she reached the door.

If you mean happy then yes. Could you put me down, I got to go and use the restroom.

“Can you make your way back?” asked Terra.

This place isn’t very big, I won’t get lost out there.

Putting Icarus back on the ground, Terra debated about following him but ultimately decided not to. Entering into the room, Terra decided to get ready for the night. Taking both mattresses from the beds, Terra aligned them together on the floor. This way she could stay on the mattress instead of sleeping on the floor. Terra would have to use her own blanket, but this didn’t bother her. Checking up on Icarus, Terra felt that the “Sphere”, as she came to call it, was kind of blurry but nothing seemed wrong with him. After prepping the room for a few minutes, Terra was starting to worry with where Icarus was. Finally deciding to look for him, Terra left the room. On her way down the hallway, a sharp pain started to emit from the sphere. Panic set in as Terra rushed through the hallway. Knocking over a few people in her path, Terra burst through the back door.

“Icarus!!” yelled Terra scanning the area.

Terra…woods…stream came a sluggish reply.

Rushing towards the woods behind the inn, Terra had no trouble clearing the fence with a single jump. Another sharp pain came from the sphere as Terra redoubled her speed. After running a quarter of a mile into the woods, Terra saw the light of some torches ahead. Running through the last bush, Terra came to a stop in a clearing. Standing in a small group of around five people stood the tall stranger from the inn. In his hand was Icarus trying to pry his fingers from around his throat.

‘Terra’ Came a thought from Icarus.

Before Terra could come up with a reply, the stranger landed a quick blow to the back of Icarus’ head. Going limp in his hands, the sphere turned a dark grey in Terra’s mind. Terra felt a deep rage flow through her. Tossing Icarus to one of his lackeys, the stranger, along with the rest of the group, drew what weapons they had. With a few quick words the group continued to surround Terra. Unfortunately for them, Terra thought, I’m not the prey. Rushing towards the closest one to her right, Terra caught him off guard as a swift kick sent the guy flying backwards. As another man raised his hatchet to strike, Terre had no problem engulfing his fist in her hand. Grabbing his shirt with the other, she quickly lifted him above her head and slammed him into the ground. With a quick backhand, Terra knocked the third guy out with ease. Turning towards the last one, Terra suppressed a smile as the man dropped his weapon and ran into the woods. With a quick backhand, Terra had no problem knocking the third guy out.

“I’d stop if I were you.” said the stranger looking at Terra.

Terra was about to lunge forward at the man, until she saw his accomplice holding a dagger to the still unconscious Icarus. Stopping in her tracks, Terra started to think of ways to get them out of this situation. Reaching into his back pocket, the stranger retrieved a small dagger, and tossed it towards Terra.

“I’ve always heard stories of a mute elf child that had lived in a village around here, but I didn’t believe it. But I always thought of what price a specimen like this would sell for on the market.” said the stranger.

“He belongs to me.” growled Terra.

“I’ve been in this business for a while now, but you learn how to get around things. Now if you don’t mind, could you please just cut your thigh with that dagger.” asked the stranger.

“Now why would I do that?’ asked Terra.

“Because one of you will get stabbed, but I don’t think this kid would survive it.” replied the stranger.

“And what’s going to stop me from destroying both of you?” asked Terra.

“I’d say that this elf means quite a bit to you, and this is the only way of us having a chance to escape. Now stab yourself, before I decide to stab him.”

Seeing no other options, Terra picked up the dagger. If she was correct, then the dagger was probably poisoned, but this wouldn’t be a problem. After all, her giant half had an incredible resistance towards poisons and the like. Terra would just act as though it took effect, but would attack once their guard was down. Unsheathing the small dagger, Terra gripped the handle as she tried to mentally prepare herself with what was going to happen next. Plunging the knife into her right thigh, Terra couldn’t help but wince as pain shot through her leg. Tossing the dagger away, Terra stared back at the stranger.

Terra was surprised as seconds later she collapsed onto the ground. A look of shock crossed her face as her muscles seemed to have lost all will to obey her. Falling over, Terra was left a view of the group as the stranger approached her.

“You’re probably thinking of ‘how did this affect me’ aren’t you? You really shouldn’t underestimate the work of professionals. I’m surprised that you’re still alive to tell you the truth.” said the stranger standing in front of Terra’s body.

“But that can be arranged.” replied the stranger.

Delivering a swift kick to her stomach, Terra let out a grunt. This guy was a lot stronger that most, and his blows actually hurt. Continuing his onslaught, Terra winced as each hit fell. After the ninth or tenth hit, she felt a slight warmth as Icarus regained consciousness. Looking over at the accomplice, Terra’s eyes met with Icarus’. After another blow landed, Terra felt a terrible rage emit from the sphere.

We’ll only get one shot.

If Terra wasn’t looking at them, then she wouldn’t have believed her eyes. Grabbing onto the blade of the knife, a small flash went along the base of the blade. A small decrease in Icarus’ stamina followed the flash as the blade broke off the knife. Using the rest of the blade in his hand, Icarus jabbed it into the man’s side, forcing him to drop Icarus in surprise. Hearing the man yelp, the stranger turned to see Icarus running straight at him. Preparing to kick Icarus away, the stranger was surprised as Icarus hit the ground with both of his palms.

A dramatic drop in Icarus’ stamina came as the ground the stranger was standing on burst into a giant cloud of dust. Being blinded, the stranger started thrashing about while trying to get the dust from his eyes. Making one final dash, Icarus collided into Terra’s torso. Placing both hands onto Terra, A green light engulfed her for a second. Collapsing onto her, Icarus was beyond spent as the rest of his stamina disappeared. Regardless of any command, his body was too worn out to listen.
With the sudden flash of green light, Terra felt all her pain vanish. She also found that she could move again as the poison had now seemed to have disappeared. Her only worry was that Icarus’ stamina was nearly gone. Grabbing Icarus with one hand, Terra quickly got to her feet making sure to keep Icarus secured in her arm. Turning towards the stranger, Terra would have no problem taking him down. Sprinting forward, a single blow to his ribs sent the stranger flying. At least half a dozen ribs broke in the impact.
After quickly defeating the last two guys, Terra was convinced not to kill them all by Icarus. This didn’t stop her from breaking a few bones of course. Making sure that Icarus was secured in her arms again, Terra started to make their way to the inn. They walked in silence for a while, Terra thinking of what Icarus just did, and Icarus just too tired to try. Being way too tired to even sit up. Icarus was fighting to stay awake. Ducking underneath a branch, Terra was surprised as it was Icarus that broke the silence.

Can you put me down, I’m about to be sick.

Not skipping a beat, Terra gently lowered him to the ground. Still holding him up, Terra waited as Icarus emptied his stomach of all its contents. Waiting for a moment for him to finish, Terra gently picked him back up and continued her way back to the inn.

I knew you would find me… said Icarus as the lights of the inn came into view.

“I thought you couldn’t use magic.” replied Terra.

Waiting a few seconds for a response, Terra was surprised as a light snore came from her arms. Looking down, terra noticed that Icarus was already fast asleep. Glad that they were both safe, Terra decided that some answers could wait for tomorrow.
Chapter End Notes:
Please leave a review and tell me what you guys think.