- Text Size +
Chapter 18

As the man’s hood fell back, both Terra and Icarus was met with something they didn’t expect. The man before them was definitely an elf with his pointed ears and angular face. The man’s two most prominent features were his pitch black short hair and his red glowing eyes. Terra could have sworn that she had seen this man before, but she could not put her finger on it. The room’s temperature seemed to have dropped a few degrees, and Terra felt an overwhelming feeling of dread as the man took a step forward.
“Do you know this guy Icarus?” asked Terra as she lifted her sword into the air.
[Exia…] whispered Icarus as he stared at the man.
“Ah, now that name brings back memories.” laughed the stranger as he brushed his hair out of his eyes. Terra looked on in shock as the man replied to Icarus.
“But I’m afraid that I go by a new name now. You may call me Raphael.” said the man.
[What are you doing here?] asked Icarus taking a step back.
“It depends on who you ask. My father would probably want me to kill the both of you, but what kind of fun would that be. I, on the other hand, am looking for a certain sacred treasure.” replied Raphael.
A mighty roar filled the room as the Minotaur rushed forward towards Raphael. Raising its hammer in the air, the Minotaur rammed it downwards towards Raphael. Terra saw the entire exchange as Raphael’s hand met the hammer on its decent. As soon as it made contact, a red flash emitted at the point as the hammer shattered into a thousand pieces. Taking another swing from the right, Terra was amazed as the hammer reformed itself in less than a second. As the hammer made contact, Raphael’s body disappeared in a body of flames. Raphael reappeared a second later to the right of the Minotaur. Raising both hands, a swirl of dark flames formed as the Minotaur charged forward. As the Minotaur was only a few feet away, Raphael shot the ball of flames forward hitting the guardian in its chest. As the ball made contact, the Minotaur was shot backwards until he crashed into the wall.
Lying motionless, the statue had a large hole gaping in its chest as dark flames continued to burn the surrounding wood. Looking back at Raphael, Terra found him standing before the golden chest. Opening the lid of the chest, Raphael bent over to retrieve the treasure. Turning towards Terra and Icarus, Raphael examined the helmet that he held in his hands.
“Well that was a letdown.” stated Raphael as he tossed the helmet over to Icarus. “I guess that I’m going to have to search for it.” signed Raphael as he brushed his hair out of his eyes. Opening his hands outwards Raphael gave out a little laugh. “I guess that I can’t leave without a parting gift can I.” Pointing a hand at the statue, a red ball shot outwards hitting the Minotaur. “Don’t be mistaken little one, once I find what I’m for I’ll have more than enough power to destroy you.” As Raphael finished his sentence, dark flames engulfed him as he disappeared.
[What do you think he meant?] asked Icarus as he examined the helmet in his hands.
“I think we might have more to worry about.” replied Terra as she pointed towards the wall.
Looking over, Icarus noticed the Minotaur standing upwards as the hole in his chest started to reform. The entirety of its body turned black as its shell quickly burned. Standing up to its full height, the Minotaur let out a roar as it lowered its head.
[Put it on!] shouted Icarus as he rammed the helmet into Terra’s side.
“But it won’t work for me!” replied Terra as she took it in her hand.
[Trust me!] said Icarus he stood in front of her.
Looking down at the helmet, Terra was amazed as it doubled in size in her hand. Placing the helmet over her head, Terra felt the sphere in the back of her mind glow a bright blue. As soon as the helmet was over her head, Terra saw the room in a new light. The shadows in the room had vanished as Terra could see every crevice in the room. The tiniest of details were crystal clear to Terra as she looked around.
[Terra!] shouted Icarus as he ran forward.
Looking back up, Terra saw Icarus just meters away from the charging Minotaur. Slamming his hands to the ground, Terra felt a massive drain on Icarus’ stamina as a stone pillar rushed from the ground hitting the Minotaur in the chest. The pillar continued upwards until it pinned the Minotaur to the ceiling of the chamber. Falling backwards, Icarus hit the ground hard as the effects of his last spell set in. The pillar didn’t hold long as the guardian started pounding away. Rushing forward, Terra grabbed Icarus’ collar and tossed him backwards several meters. As soon as Icarus’ body came to a stop, the Minotaur crashed into the ground.
Looking up at her foe, Terra saw the Minotaur pull back it’s hammer. Terra was about to jump to the right until she noticed something. A clear red replica of the Minotaur was swinging its hammer a few feet before the actual one. As the red hammer went through her body, Terra took a step backwards as the actual hammer soon followed the red hammer’s path. It didn’t take Terra too long to realize that she was seeing the Minotaur’s actions a second before it actually acted. This gave Terra an advantage as she could predict where the Minotaur was going to attack. Terra soon found an opening as she slashed her sword with both hands at the Minotaur’s forearm.
Terra’s sword left a deep gash in the Minotaur’s arm leaving it connected by a few inches. Terra followed this up with several more swings as she dodged in and out of the guardian’s attacks. After Terra landed her fifteenth blow, she noticed her previous attacks already healed. Taking a step back, Terra’s foot caught as she felt herself falling backwards. Knowing that she couldn’t dodge the next attack, Terra closed her eyes as she waited for impact. A moment before the hammer was going to hit her, Terra felt a small impact on her right leg. A shock ran through her body as Icarus’ remaining stamina all but vanished.
Terra soon found herself flying to the right as a mild pain covered her left side. A second later Terra felt both her and Icarus roll across the floor. Raising herself back up, Terra looked around for Icarus. Terra found him only a couple of feet away clutching his side.
“Icarus can you hear me!” shouted Terra as she placed a hand on her head.
Fear ran through her mind as Icarus responded by coughing up blood. Hearing a loud roar, Terra’s eyes shot upwards to look over at the Minotaur. Terra searched around her area looking for her sword as the guarding lowered its head. Not seeing her sword anywhere, Terra desperately tried to come up with an idea as the Minotaur charged forward.
[Break the top of the sphere] came a mysterious voice from the back of her mind.
Seeing no other choice, Terra focused on the sphere in the back of her mind. Finding the dull grey sphere, Terra wasted no time in tearing a hole in the soft opening on top of the sphere. After the top of the sphere was opened, the sphere erupted into a blinding white light as mist flew away from it. A flash of white flew from behind Terra as it crashed into the charging Minotaur. The Minotaur was sent flying backwards as a white figure landed on the ground.
Looking closer, Terra found Icarus standing in the middle of the chamber. A white light was being emitted from his body as he looked back at Terra. His hair changed from its usual messy pale blonde to a bright white. His eyes also turned from blue to white also. Seeing Terra, Icarus gave her a warming smile.
[Don’t worry, this will be over soon] said Icarus as he faced the Minotaur.
Rushing back at Icarus, the Minotaur slammed his hammer downwards. Icarus easily stopped the hammer in its tracks with his right hand. Using his left, Icarus raised it quickly skyward. A moment later, a crack erupted from the Minotaur’s left side as it split in half. Opening his left hand a bright white ball formed as the air started swirling around the room.
[Rest my friend] said Icarus as he hit the Minotaur with the glowing ball.
As soon as the ball touched the guardian, the Minotaur burst into dust as the wind died down. Turning back towards Terra, Icarus made his way across the room. Terra didn’t know what to say as Icarus came to a stop in front of her. She slightly flinched as Icarus placed his hand upon her forehead. A white light enveloped her as Terra found herself completely refreshed.
[I told you that it would be alright] laughed Icarus as he removed his hand.
Terra was about to say something when another bright flash of light blinded her. Looking around Terra was at a lost as she didn’t see Icarus around her anywhere. Looking down, Terra could only see an empty set of clothing in the place where Icarus was standing.