- Text Size +
Chapter 24

“Icarus, it’s time to get up.” said Terra as she gave Icarus a gentle nudge.

Fighting off the drowsiness, Icarus raised himself up to look around the room. Terra was beside him fully dressed with a red tunic held against her with her leather armor. Diane was at the table cutting away at something that Icarus could not see. Icarus guessed that it was food because of the pleasant aroma that permeated the room. Looking down at himself Icarus found himself fully dressed in one of his dark blue tunics.

[Good morning] yawned Icarus as he stretched his arms.

“Good morning, I hope you don’t mind but I dressed you while you were asleep.” replied Terra giving Icarus an apologetic smile.

“You just wouldn’t wake up, it must have been a very tiring night for you.” said Diane as she gave Icarus a playful wink. “Anyway breakfast is ready.”

Icarus soon found himself being lifted into Terra’s arms as she jumped from the bed. The room may have been big for Terra, but from Icarus’ point of view it was massive. Walking over to the table, Icarus noticed that it was eye level with Terra. After gently placing Icarus upon the table, Terra pulled herself up to sit on her own special seat. Looking upon the table, Icarus noticed three separate plates of food set upon the table. Two plates were covered with different items, while the third was only filled halfway with the items.

[Terra?] asked Icarus as Terra joined him at the table.

“What is it?” replied Terra grabbing ahold of an oversized fork.

[I’ve been meaning to ask, but have you found any information on the sacred treasure.] thought Icarus as he grabbed a handful of biscuit.

“Yes, but this treasure will be a bit more difficult to get.” said Terra while taking a bite of some sort of sausage.

[What do you mean?]

“Mom, can you tell Icarus what you told me about the boots.” replied Terra looking over at Diane as she joined them at the table.

“No problem,” stated Diane as she leaned over to stare at Icarus, “I believe the boots you are looking for are the ones that are worn by the reigning Bastior.”

[Bastior?] asked Icarus.

“Bastior is another name for the best fighter throughout the villages.” replied Terra looking bored.

“The boots were given to the village after the war around forty years before I was born by the elves. It was a token for our efforts in the Great War.” said Diane while she started to dig in.

[So where can we find the Bastior?] asked Icarus.

As if by magic, Icarus heard a door slam somewhere throughout the house. Terra mumbled ‘her she comes’ under her breath as the door to the room flew open.

“Terra you’re home!” shouted a raven haired girl as she ducked under the doorway. Icarus thought that Diane was huge, but this new girl was at least thirty feet tall. In several loud footsteps the girl made it to the table as she grabbed ahold of Terra. Lifting Terra from her seat, the girl spun Terra in circles with her arms stretched outwards. Icarus may have been a third of Terra’s height, but Terra was a third of this girl’s height.

“I’ve missed you so much Terra.” said the girl as she gave the slightly dizzy Terra a bone crushing bear hug.

“Put your sister down Lily so that she can finish her food.” said Diane pointing at her daughters.

“But it’s been so long since big sis came home.” whined Lily as she held onto her sister.

“We were just talking about you.” grunted Terra as she tried to make room to breathe.

“What about?” asked Lily as she sat Terra back down.

Icarus was about to laugh at the situation until he looked downwards. On Lily’s feet were a set of unmistakable brown boots with gold plating.

[Calcibus!] exclaimed Icarus.

“Which makes her the reigning Bastior.” replied Terra as she continued eating.

“What are you talking about?” asked Lily sitting down.

Lily was about to start eating her food when her eyes finally rested on Icarus. The table grew quite as Icarus and Lily stared at each other for a moment. Before either Icarus or Terra could react, a giant hand shot forward and enveloped Icarus before retracting back to Lily. Icarus struggled against her grasp as Lily started to examine him. Her grip was tight enough that Icarus found it slightly harder to breathe.

“Put Icarus down!” shouted Terra standing from her seat.

“Don’t be afraid little guy.” Cooed Lily as she ruffled Icarus’ hair.

“Lily put him down.” Shouted Terra again.

“But I’m not hurting him.” whined Lily.

“Listen to your sister.” Said Diane.

Icarus let out a breath of relief as he was soon returned to Terra’s side. To satisfy Lily’s curiosity, Terra had to summarize her story up until this point. Lily was skeptical about their link and all at first, but after several tests she was satisfied. It was at this time that Icarus decided to get down to business. With Terra as a translator, Icarus began.

[I have a request Lily.] thought Icarus.

“What is it?” asked Lily staring down at the tiny figure before her.

[We need to borrow Calcibus from you.] thought Icarus.

“Hmm, no.” replied Lily.

This of course confounded Icarus because of the reason that they needed the treasure. For the next half hour Icarus tried to argue with Lily, but he was getting nowhere.

[What will it take for you to give us Calcibus?] asked Icarus. Lily took her time to respond.

“Either Terra has to let me do anything I want with her for a week,” replied Lily while staring hungrily at Terra, “or one of you has to beat me in unarmed combat.”

“And this is where the problem lies.” muttered Terra.

[What do you mean?] asked Icarus as Terra translated.

“You see,” chimed in Diane, “Lily is easily the tallest of our kind. Even though Terra and Lily share the same parents, Lily didn’t grow as Terra did.”

“It means that I’m the strongest giant around.” replied Lily puffing out her chest.

[Can you not listen to Lily for a week?] asked Icarus.

“Do you remember last night? Think of that, but lasting a lot longer, and a lot rougher.” Replied Terra.

“I’m afraid that’s your only two options.” replied Lily standing from the table. Lily was making her way towards the door when Icarus finally replied.

[Then Terra will fight you.] said Icarus.

Terra looked at Icarus surprised before translating his message. This caused Lily to burst into laughter, until she noticed that Icarus was serious. Terra had trust in Icarus, but she couldn’t see how she had a chance against a giant in a fist fight. Not to mention one that was as big as her younger sister.

“Okay then, I’ll talk to the village elders to set up a competition for the title of Bastior.” Said Lily.

“Usually one has to win three fights against opponents of my choosing, but for Terra I’ll make an exception.”

Leaving the room, Lily went off to make arrangements for the fight tomorrow while Diane went off to clean the dishes. This left Terra with Icarus alone in the room. After several moments of silence Terra couldn’t stand it anymore.

“What were you thinking Icarus!” shouted Terra.

The shouting took Icarus by surprise as he jumped. Terra was visibly upset with the plans for tomorrow as she stomped across the floor. Icarus tried to scoot further away as Terra continued to pace.

[I wanted to get Calcibus.] replied Icarus.

“And how is getting me beat up and humiliated going to help!?” shouted Terra.

[Don’t worry, I have a plan Terra.] thought Icarus.

“There is no cheating allowed Icarus. Do you know what the loser had to do to the winner of the fight?” asked Terra.

[No.] replied Icarus.

“They have to do whatever the winner wants so Lily will get her way no matter what we do.” said Terra.

[Terra do you trust me?] asked Icarus as he jumped from the bed. Terra knelt down to his level to look at her friend.

“Of course I do.” replied Terra.

[Then let me take care of it.]

Terra might not have been comfortable with the plan, but she knew that Icarus wouldn’t have her do something that was dangerous for her. Icarus refused to tell her what the plan was, but tomorrow would reveal the answer.