- Text Size +
Chapter 30


Terra quickly jerked upright with the dream she had still fresh in her mind. It took her a second to process what she had just witnessed as she tried to slow down her breathing. Taking a minute to calm herself down Terra wiped the tears from her eyes before looking around the camp. The fire had long gone out but everything else seemed like it was last night. Well except for the tent that was now laying in a heap beside her. Upon seeing this Terra quickly pulled the tent into the air with one hand while the other hand prodded the sea of blankets trying to find Icarus. Relief swept over Terra as she finally uncovered him still fast asleep. Lowering herself downward Terra began to softly nudge Icarus with one of her giant digits.

“Icarus wake up.” replied Terra softly. After a few more attempts Icarus finally sat up trying to wipe away the blurriness in his eyes. Upon closer inspection Terra found that Icarus looked terrible.

[Morning] mumbled Icarus as he let out a yawn. It was only a few seconds after this that Terra heard a light snore as Icarus had fallen asleep yet again. Rubbing his back gently with her finger Terra fought to wake Icarus up again.

“Are you okay Icarus?” asked Terra as she helped him stand up.

[Yeah, I’m just really tired] thought Icarus as he stretched his hands above his head. Checking on their connection Terra could tell that Icarus was both physically and mentally tired. It wasn’t until she noticed a visible drain on his stamina that Terra realized that Icarus’ magic was still on. Quickly going to the back of her mind Terra gently covered the top of Icarus’ sphere causing the drop in Icarus’ stamina to cease. Icarus didn’t seem to notice this as he continued to scan his surroundings until he looked back up at Terra.

[Are you okay?] asked Icarus as he placed one hand upon Terra’s finger.

“I’m fine, just had a bad dream last night.” replied Terra as she wiped the remaining tears from her face.

[What was it about?] asked Icarus as he started rubbing Terra’s finger gently. Terra was about to tell Icarus about the dream she had until she remembered Daedalus’ words. Terra decided that the best thing to do for now was to make up a simple lie. Icarus didn’t press the subject as he got up and started to walk off towards the edge of the woods to relieve himself.

By the time that Icarus got back Terra had already managed to pack their camp away and assemble a light, for her, breakfast. After finishing their food, Terra lifted Icarus up and placed him upon her shoulder as she set off down the road. A little less hour into their journey Terra felt Icarus leaning against her neck, and a few minutes later she heard a light snoring coming from her partner. Slowly unfastening the hair from around Icarus’ waist Terra gently lifted him up and placed him in her hands facing her.

Terra continued walking alternating between looking ahead and watching the sleeping Icarus. The trip had been uneventful for the past week. After leaving the giants’ territory they had yet to meet a single person traveling on the road. This was odd to Terra but she didn’t put too much thought into it. It wasn’t until a little past noon that something interesting happened.

Terra was walking along when she felt a cold sensation sweep across her body. Terra stopped in her tracks as another colder one went through her. Checking her connection Terra saw that the sphere was the same light grey that it was when Icarus was napping. She was about to pass it off until she saw her body glowing blue. Something told her to put Icarus down which in this case was a good idea as Terra saw a blinding flash of light.

Terra felt a tremendous weight on her back causing her to fall backward. Landing on her rear Terra looked behind her to find her giant leather pack, well giant. Looking around Terra found that she had finally shrunken back down to her old height. This was a little depressing for her, but it was for the best. Her food supply was running low, but with her new size it would last them a couple more weeks. Terra was brought out of her train of thought when she felt Icarus slowly awakening. Icarus continued to stand up and dust himself off. Looking around he finally made eye contact with Terra.

[You’re tiny!] exclaimed Icarus as he walked over to the still sitting Terra.

“Look who’s talking.” giggled Terra as she stood up to her full height. “It had to come to an end at some point.”

[So what are you going to do with this?] asked Icarus as he kicked the giant leather bag.

“Try to scavenge what’s left and pull it to the side of the road.” Replied Terra as she placed one hand upon the side.

It took Icarus and Terra a little over half an hour to retrieve their packs and push the leather to the side of the road. It took just a little bit of magic but after a ten minute rest that Terra forced upon him they started off on their journey again. It was a much slower pace than what they had been going, but Icarus was happy. It was growing tiresome having someone carry you everywhere you go. With his pack secured on his back Icarus was busy kicking a rock up the road. It had been a small argument, but Icarus was finally able to convince Terra to not only walk on his own but to also carry his own pack. Of course Terra had gone through it and removed everything until it had the bare necessities.

[So have you ever been in a dwarven city?] asked Icarus as he gave his rock a little kick.

“Not really. I’ve worked contracts with some dwarves to help exterminate some trolls or other monsters on several occasions, but I’ve never actually been inside their cities.” replied Terra as she too kicked a rock (more like a small boulder to Icarus).

Icarus was interested in hearing everything that Terra had to say about dwarves. Icarus had heard stories about them, but Windhook was too far away from any dwarven settlement. Icarus was full of questions and Terra was more than happy to give him the answers that he sought. It was close to evening time that Icarus felt something odd. It was the same feeling that you get when someone is staring at you. Icarus would take several glances in the surrounding area, but would never see anything out of the ordinary. He heard a stick break, but he only saw a bushy red tail of some squirrel as it darted into a bush.

Terra asked why Icarus seemed so nervous, but dismissed it on the premise that nothing in the woods could harm them. This made Icarus feel a little better as nighttime drew closer. It was a little darker than usual when Terra decided that they should set up camp. After setting up the tent and making a small fire, Terra set Icarus with the task of making a nice warm meal while she went out to collect the rest of the night’s firewood.

Icarus felt a little nervous with Terra away, but he tried to set that nervousness to the back of his mind as he focused on his task. The rest of the night went on as usual until Icarus and Terra decided to call it a night. An upside to becoming small again was that Terra could now share a tent with Icarus. With Icarus fast asleep in her arms, Terra slowly drifted off herself.

It was about a half hour later after light snores could be heard from inside the tent did something tiptoed its way through the bushes. Setting one paw in front of the other this creature made its way closer towards the tent careful not to make any noise. Once it was a few feet away from the entrance of the tent the creature drifted off towards the right until it stood right in front of two packs. After making one last check that no one was around the small creature held its breath as it stretched from head to tail. Deciding that the smaller of the two packs was probably the better option it started to reach out its hand until something hit it.

Wiping its hands against its pants until they were thoroughly clean, it continued to search through the pack until it found what it was after. After making sure that everything was the same as when it first got there, the creature shifted back as it made its way towards the woods with its tail helping it to move with the large package in its mouth. If it was lucky enough, then it would visit these two again tomorrow night.
Chapter End Notes:
Again please review and tell me what you think.